Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by robin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

screenshot-pinside.com-2017-02-28-11-33-28 (resized).png
    Untitled (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coyote.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Is this problem appearing on threads with only a few posts and one page, or larger threads with lots of posts and multiple pages? Or both?

Had it happen this morning (maybe yesterday?), was on the JPop and NE for sale thread - both big threads. (Largest was JPop thread, where there was only a few new, but retorted was over 200..) Since then, though, once I viewed then, the issue hadn't reappeared.

#15 7 years ago

Okay!
    Now the opposite is happening.
    I had threads with a '0' listed above threads with a number, when the ones with a '0' had newer posts that I haven't seen. (Just now happened on the JPop thread.)

Edit: See attached image. Here's what I see.
    The 'Pinside Staff Announcement' had a new post as I was originally posting this post. It should have 1 there, as one new post.
    This post has a 'New' label (?!) but none new, which is correct.
    The 'Digital Scale' is correct, and has 1 new post.

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

Second Edit: One new post to the JPop thread, and it appeared correctly. Strange.

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

The problem described in this topics opening post should be fixed now.
    FYI, the blue "New" icon, which I added today, shows that a thread is started recently (younger than 24 hours).

Ah, cool!
    Thanks!

#20 7 years ago

I've been trying to pay attention - I believe that the '0' thing will only happen on those threads that had the wrong number new previously - once the '0' occurs on a thread and you click it to view it, the issue doesn't seem come back. So I believe that the system is 'resetting' our last-visited time, which is putting all the counters back in order.

#21 7 years ago

And, interesting.
    I somehow broke Pinside.

One of the threads that gave me both issues - too high a number, and then not giving a number new - is now 'stuck' with one new message. No matter what I do, it won't reset:
    screenshot-pinside.com-2017-02-28-11-33-28 (resized).pngscreenshot-pinside.com-2017-02-28-11-33-28 (resized).png

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Another fix related to this error. Took me all darn weekend to find it, but was caused by the wrong post count being stored in the visited topics database table. It was storing post count minus deleted posts. Hence the problem would only happen in threads that have one or more deleted posts (e.g. dupe posts or moderated posts).
    If you have a topic with a wrong "new posts" count, simply visiting it once should now fix this count. This also goes for the issue of idle (zero new) topics still showing, even with "hide idle" setting enabled.

Cool, thanks!

Quoted from stevevt:

In related (?) news, on my Topic Activity page, I have to turn off the Hide Idle option and then turn it back on to get it to work. In other words, it's on by default but not working

I believe it's related. You;ll notice that when it's "on" but doesn't look "on", not all 'read' posts will be shown, only a small select of them. Those are the posts Robin just refers to here above - view the post again, and it will update the record, and then will vanish from the 'Filter Idle' next time you refresh that page.

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Another fix related to this error. Took me all darn weekend to find it, but was caused by the wrong post count being stored in the visited topics database table. It was storing post count minus deleted posts. Hence the problem would only happen in threads that have one or more deleted posts (e.g. dupe posts or moderated posts).
    If you have a topic with a wrong "new posts" count, simply visiting it once should now fix this count. This also goes for the issue of idle (zero new) topics still showing, even with "hide idle" setting enabled.

Not fixed for me, unfortunately.
    Noticed right now that the 'Post Project Pins for sale' was listed with '0' new. Clicked it, and saw one new one.
    Went back to refresh my topics list, and it jumped up to the TOP of the list, with '0'. Viewed it again, and someone had JUST posted to it. (So it jumped to the top correctly, but the new post count still had '0' in it.)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coyote.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-post-number-is-off?tu=coyote and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.