By phillymadison

6 months ago

Stats

• 31 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by robin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

screenshot-pinside.com-2017-02-28-11-33-28 (resized).png
    Untitled (resized).png

#1 6 months ago

<type your bug report here - please try to be as concise as possible!>
    Hi all when I look at the topics where I posted in before and someone posted something new instead of showing 1 new post it's showing 4-7 new post. When I click on it there's only 1 new post though.
    --------------------------------
    Your browser/os information:
    Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 10_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/602.2.14 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.0 Mobile/14B100 Safari/602.1 (this will help us make sense of your bug report)

#2 6 months ago

True. It indicated there were 67 new posts in the NE sale thread, but only 1 when visited.

#3 6 months ago

Ahhh nice not just me but exactly the same issue

#4 6 months ago

Same here.

I saw 101 for a thread when it was only 1.

#5 6 months ago
    Quoted from Guinnesstime:

True. It indicated there were 67 new posts in the NE sale thread, but only 1 when visited.

Ditto. I saw the exact same thing.

#6 6 months ago

Same happening for me, but I thought I had just seen it wrong. Good to know I'm not crazy.

#7 6 months ago

+1 seeing the same problem.

#8 6 months ago

Is this problem appearing on threads with only a few posts and one page, or larger threads with lots of posts and multiple pages? Or both?

#9 6 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Is this problem appearing on threads with only a few posts and one page, or larger threads with lots of posts and multiple pages? Or both?

Had it happen this morning (maybe yesterday?), was on the JPop and NE for sale thread - both big threads. (Largest was JPop thread, where there was only a few new, but retorted was over 200..) Since then, though, once I viewed then, the issue hadn't reappeared.

#10 6 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I've seen it on large threads, both very active ones and not so active ones. Haven't noticed it (yet) on new/small threads...

#11 6 months ago

This is also an issue when clicking links to specific posts or filtering by poster. I saw about 80 "new" posts in the Predator thread and was getting excited!

#12 6 months ago

Happened on multiple threads. I thought there was some crazy news with Alien pinball as I woke up and checked to see 100 new posts since last night, but there were only a few new posts (less than 10).

#13 6 months ago

It just happened to me on the Elvira 3 thread. There are 290 total posts. It said I had 48 unread. But when I click to read them it was only 2.

#14 6 months ago

It's happened to me on the Predator, RZ, JPop and AMH threads....All large threads.

#15 6 months ago

Okay!
    Now the opposite is happening.
    I had threads with a '0' listed above threads with a number, when the ones with a '0' had newer posts that I haven't seen. (Just now happened on the JPop thread.)

Edit: See attached image. Here's what I see.
    The 'Pinside Staff Announcement' had a new post as I was originally posting this post. It should have 1 there, as one new post.
    This post has a 'New' label (?!) but none new, which is correct.
    The 'Digital Scale' is correct, and has 1 new post.

Untitled (resized).png

Second Edit: One new post to the JPop thread, and it appeared correctly. Strange.

#16 6 months ago

The problem described in this topics opening post should be fixed now.

FYI, the blue "New" icon, which I added today, shows that a thread is started recently (younger than 24 hours).

#17 6 months ago
    Quoted from robin:

The problem described in this topics opening post should be fixed now.
    FYI, the blue "New" icon, which I added today, shows that a thread is started recently (younger than 24 hours).

Ah, cool!
    Thanks!

#18 6 months ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

Okay!
    Now the opposite is happening.
    I had threads with a '0' listed above threads with a number, when the ones with a '0' had newer posts that I haven't seen. (Just now happened on the JPop thread.)
    Edit: See attached image. Here's what I see.
    The 'Pinside Staff Announcement' had a new post as I was originally posting this post. It should have 1 there, as one new post.
    This post has a 'New' label (?!) but none new, which is correct.
    The 'Digital Scale' is correct, and has 1 new post.

Second Edit: One new post to the JPop thread, and it appeared correctly. Strange.

The "lets see pics of your game room" thread just did that for me. Got moved up since 3 people posted but showed as 0 posted

#19 6 months ago
    Quoted from phillymadison:

The "lets see pics of your game room" thread just did that for me. Got moved up since 3 people posted but showed as 0 posted

Still not fixed....Now it's doing this....Predator thread had 3 new posts in last 50 minutes but showed 0....but it was at the top of my list.

#20 6 months ago

I've been trying to pay attention - I believe that the '0' thing will only happen on those threads that had the wrong number new previously - once the '0' occurs on a thread and you click it to view it, the issue doesn't seem come back. So I believe that the system is 'resetting' our last-visited time, which is putting all the counters back in order.

#21 6 months ago

And, interesting.
    I somehow broke Pinside.

One of the threads that gave me both issues - too high a number, and then not giving a number new - is now 'stuck' with one new message. No matter what I do, it won't reset:
    screenshot-pinside.com-2017-02-28-11-33-28 (resized).png

#22 6 months ago

Another fix related to this error. Took me all darn weekend to find it, but was caused by the wrong post count being stored in the visited topics database table. It was storing post count minus deleted posts. Hence the problem would only happen in threads that have one or more deleted posts (e.g. dupe posts or moderated posts).

If you have a topic with a wrong "new posts" count, simply visiting it once should now fix this count. This also goes for the issue of idle (zero new) topics still showing, even with "hide idle" setting enabled.

#23 6 months ago

In related (?) news, on my Topic Activity page, I have to turn off the Hide Idle option and then turn it back on to get it to work. In other words, it's on by default but not working

#24 6 months ago
    Quoted from robin:

Another fix related to this error. Took me all darn weekend to find it, but was caused by the wrong post count being stored in the visited topics database table. It was storing post count minus deleted posts. Hence the problem would only happen in threads that have one or more deleted posts (e.g. dupe posts or moderated posts).
    If you have a topic with a wrong "new posts" count, simply visiting it once should now fix this count. This also goes for the issue of idle (zero new) topics still showing, even with "hide idle" setting enabled.

Cool, thanks!

Quoted from stevevt:

In related (?) news, on my Topic Activity page, I have to turn off the Hide Idle option and then turn it back on to get it to work. In other words, it's on by default but not working

I believe it's related. You;ll notice that when it's "on" but doesn't look "on", not all 'read' posts will be shown, only a small select of them. Those are the posts Robin just refers to here above - view the post again, and it will update the record, and then will vanish from the 'Filter Idle' next time you refresh that page.

#25 6 months ago
    Quoted from robin:

Not fixed for me, unfortunately.
    Noticed right now that the 'Post Project Pins for sale' was listed with '0' new. Clicked it, and saw one new one.
    Went back to refresh my topics list, and it jumped up to the TOP of the list, with '0'. Viewed it again, and someone had JUST posted to it. (So it jumped to the top correctly, but the new post count still had '0' in it.)

#26 6 months ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

Not fixed for me, unfortunately.
    Noticed right now that the 'Post Project Pins for sale' was listed with '0' new. Clicked it, and saw one new one.
    Went back to refresh my topics list, and it jumped up to the TOP of the list, with '0'. Viewed it again, and someone had JUST posted to it. (So it jumped to the top correctly, but the new post count still had '0' in it.)

I am seeing this same behavior on a couple other threads as well. New posts but it shows 0

#27 6 months ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I am seeing this same behavior on a couple other threads as well. New posts but it shows 0

Yeah, what had been stable before is back to broke again. Before it seemed like it was a problem where the posts and read had to get in sync again by you viewing the thread after the fix was done.. I'm hoping that is the case again here.

#28 6 months ago

I wonder if posts that have been community drained are affecting the number?

#29 6 months ago

I am continually having the problem with a thread showing no new posts. Thread is being sorted in my viewed thread listing in order as the new posts correctly.. but showing zero new posts in the count.

#30 6 months ago

I noticed in on the longer threads like TBL & Alien. Others, like this one, show correctly. Perhaps the number of posts has something to do with it?

#31 6 months ago

Sorry for the inconvenience. The issue is quite complicated, but I am making progress in resolving it. Might need to take the site offline for 10-30 minutes to fully resolve this (database sync), but will hold off until it's quiet and most of you are sleeping

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 55.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Double Danger Pinball
    $ 38.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 9.99
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pinbology
    $ 99.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.50
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Apparel - Unisex
    Double Danger Pinball
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    $ 25.99
    Playfield - Other
    Lee's Parts
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Siegecraft Electronics
    $ 10.00
    £ 60.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Sillyoldelf Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade

Note: This is an old thread. The last post was made to it 196 days ago. Resurrecting old threads is not necessarily a bad thing, if you think the topic is still relevant and/or your post is beneficial to it (e.g. following up on something). In other cases, it might be better to create a new topic.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.