(Topic ID: 4620)

New Popadiuk pin $15,995?! only 13 will be produced!

By jespo_19

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Travish
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

saw this on rgp, figured i'd post it here as well.

http://pinballinventor.org/signup.html

#2 8 years ago

Wow, that is A LOT of scratch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 8 years ago

Yeah and 6 gone already!

Someone described it as CV on steroids.......if it is, it will be fricking awesome!!!!!

#4 8 years ago

I love John's games. He may be my favorite designer. I'm lucky enough to have a CV, ToTAN, and WCS, and they're all keepers for me. I'd also like to add a TOM to my gameroom sometime.

I think he's got an amazing imagination, and I can't wait to see what he comes up with here. I can't afford it - LOL, but I can't wait to see it. Hopefully I can play one some day.

#5 8 years ago

maybe a sign of things to come?
and in new pinball in general.

#6 8 years ago

I sure hope its a good sign that pinball may have a rebirth. There certainly is more going on now than in a long time. Anything JPop creates is going to be an excellent pin. Love the flow of his games.

#7 8 years ago

Love his games, can't be on board with that price tag though. Likely its going to be another awesome pin that nobody gets to actually play.

#8 8 years ago

I've gotten some of the prototype layouts JJ and his team are playing around with for the next machine and theme (what you thought they weren't ?). I think pinball will and is making a comeback with people producing machines on a special limited quality basis.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Brokedad:

I've gotten some of the prototype layouts JJ and his team are playing around with for the next machine and theme (what you thought they weren't ?). I think pinball will and is making a comeback with people producing machines on a special limited quality basis.

I am so keen to have an inkling on theme for next pin

I am not getting a WOZ but if I like the next theme, I would think of starting to save now!

#10 8 years ago

Oh and just looked........12 out of the 13 are sold!!!!

#11 8 years ago

Wow! 12 already sold.Good luck Jpop.I hope I get to play one somewhere-----CP Pinball maybe Hint- Chuck in St.Louis.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from guymontag451:

Love his games, can't be on board with that price tag though. Likely its going to be another awesome pin that nobody gets to actually play.

Amen! It actually makes WoZ look like a veritable bargain! It's a shame it's so much. I swear I would have considered it if it was closer to 10K. With that theme and Jpop behind the wheel, I'm certain it will be one of the best pins ever made. That's just more money than I can possibly justify spending on a pinball machine. Of course, we're all going to feel like idiots for passing on this one when they are going for $30,000 five years from now.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Amen! It actually makes WoZ look like a veritable bargain! It's a shame it's so much. I swear I would have considered it if it was closer to 10K. With that theme and Jpop behind the wheel, I'm certain it will be one of the best pins ever made. That's just more money than I can possibly justify spending on a pinball machine. Of course, we're all going to feel like idiots for passing on this one when they are going for $30,000 five years from now.

Too late.

They are all sold.

Wow!

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Too late.

They are all sold.

There are clearly some ridiculously wealthy people in this hobby! Now I just have to find out who they are, and befriend one of them.

#15 8 years ago

Don't tease us like that BD!....shoot me an email, I was in on WOZ early and ready to jump on next JJ...

As for the JPOP pin....only 13, that seems like a waste of time, at least do 50 to make your gross margins a lot higher and get rewarded for all the work, holy cow, do the math, doesn't seem like a very good approach there.......

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

As for the JPOP pin....only 13, that seems like a waste of time, at least do 50 to make your gross margins a lot higher and get rewarded for all the work, holy cow, do the math, doesn't seem like a very good approach there.......

The fact that all 13 sold so quickly would seem to indicate that Jpop may have greatly underestimated the demand.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

The fact that all 13 sold so quickly would seem to indicate that Jpop may have greatly underestimated the demand.

Right on, I bet he's got the reserve list already filled as well, in case any of the 13 back out. Great times for pinball! I just wish they did not cost an arm and a leg.

#18 8 years ago

He has to sell more than 13 unless he is on the Obama plan!

#19 8 years ago

Who is JPOP....an artistic genius and a business dummy? Yep, I think so....

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

He has to sell more than 13 unless he is on the Obama plan!

I agree, for 13 units I don’t see much profit there. But mabye it's just for the love of building a new game.

Does anyone know if he is doing all the work himself? Meaning is he contracting an artist, sound engineer, and software designer? Seems like for 208K total after materials, contractors, 9 months of work, etc. there is not that much left. But then again I don’t know how much all these items cost.

Maybe after he sees that the 13 are sold out after 24 hours from the announcement he might make a few more…..

So did anyone here put a deposit down?

#21 8 years ago

I'm not sure he could decide to make any more without really pissing off the original 13. You pay that much for 1 of 13 pins and I would imagine they would expect the number of pins to remain only 13!

#22 8 years ago

I'll pay a buck a game if someone gets one.

#23 8 years ago

His profit margin has to be next to nothing.....50 games would still be extremely rare and apparently there are plenty of buyers at that price if he is already sold out....there is no way he is only making 13! Gross Revenue is about 200k and then you have the labor and materials into the machine, the only way you make the labor worthwhile is to spread the overhead out over more machines...

For 15k it's either gonna be the biggest bargain ever or a big load of garbage....

#24 8 years ago

The artwork and theme seems to be the "lovechild" of TOM and CV! Hmmm....
Hopefully the birdcage "Superball" will be on the cutting room floor this time! (kidding!)

Good luck with the new venture JPOP!

Cut that price in half- then subtract 2K, make 50 machines and you've got yourself a deal!!!
I don't care about the "small-batch" formula...
Bump it to 200 so that everyone here on Pinside can appreciate your great skill-set Pappy!
Just sayin'...

#25 8 years ago

Knowing someone who does similar work to what Popadiuk is doing, I have no doubt that he will come out ahead on this. He wouldn't be doing it if he wasn't making enough to keep the lights on.

Prototyping one of these machines doesn't cost nearly as much as you might think from a materials perspective. Labor is the killer and when you're doing it yourself the labor is "free".

#26 8 years ago

Can't wait to see the final pin either way. Hopefully, if this succeeds (and I hope it does), this will mean another source of pins (hopefully at lower prices). I've always liked JPop's pins and hope to own one of his classics someday...

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Another way of thinking is that he is a one man band and he will be building each one himself, more or less. He has to choose a number that he can deliver. No point in saying 50 and not having the capacity. If he gets these 13 built and they are awesome, I am sure someone will step in with funding so he can scale up.

Over expansion, expanding too fast, usually ends in trouble. I would rather see 13 great pins with the potential for more at lower prices than promising the world and then not delivering.

As long as he breaks even, he can watch his company expand. Lets hope they are great pins

#28 8 years ago

Well if he is trying to build a business and starting with 13 machines, more power to him, a small business guy, the American dream, if that's what it really is....

Quoted from NimblePin:

Cut that price in half- then subtract 2K, make 50 machines and you've got yourself a deal!!!
I don't care about the "small-batch" formula...
Bump it to 200 so that everyone here on Pinside can appreciate your great skill-set Pappy!
Just sayin'...

Hire a few extra key employees (hourly), delegate the little stuff, he'll be really successful when he is able to do that......or maybe he has so much money in the bank he just doesn't care

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Hire a few extra key employees (hourly), delegate the little stuff, he'll be really successful when he is able to do that......or maybe he has so much money in the bank he just doesn't care

I'd go up and help him for free!

I've always wanted to own a JPop pin (want a CV so bad) but this route would certainly price me out of the market. Hopefully the lucky 13 share the love and take them to shows!

#30 8 years ago

There are already people trying to buy them off the 13 but Jpop is not having it!!

#32 8 years ago

Wow as well!

#33 8 years ago

Could be a test to see the demand. Sounds like he's in good shape.

5 years later
#34 3 years ago

I have been reading posts from years ago tonight. Some are pretty interesting. Kind of like a time machine.

Seems people were questioning profits and being able to deliver then as much as they are now with American pinball taking over.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
BK Pinball
Various Other Swag
Third Coast Pinball
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 64.95
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 10.00
Cabinet Parts
Flashinstinct
$ 233.10
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 10.95
$ 19.95
$ 625.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 96.77
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball-Mods.com
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 14.95
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside