Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by dmbjunky
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2016-10-11 at 12.57.28 PM (resized).png
    IMG_0044.0 (resized).JPG
    #1 7 years ago

Just read this new article:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/11/13240766/stern-pinball-photo-essay-tour

What is the red cabinet behind the those MMs?

IMG_0044.0 (resized).JPGIMG_0044.0 (resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

Das a Mustang.

Screen Shot 2016-10-11 at 12.57.28 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2016-10-11 at 12.57.28 PM (resized).png

#3 7 years ago

"nearly every machine Stern has ever manufactured" -- in the factory? I don't remember seeing an arcade THAT damn big.

"they also test machines using robots." -- So a pinball machine programmed to launch the ball repeatedly is a robot?

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mrkshrdn:

Das a Mustang.

No shortage of those I imagine

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from BoJo:

No shortage of those I imagine

that game is actually in good demand after the code was updated.....

#6 7 years ago

One of the assembly photos reads Dinner Time LE on the assembly board , what game is that?

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/ghFgBDmgiNA9neRzOYaMvbzDpdA=/1400x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/7256875/IMG_0029.0.JPG

Seems that Ghost Busters is codename Harold

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from DerGoetz:

One of the assembly photos reads Dinner Time LE on the assembly board , what game is that?
    https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/ghFgBDmgiNA9neRzOYaMvbzDpdA=/1400x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/7256875/IMG_0029.0.JPG
    Seems that Ghost Busters is codename Harold

Dinner Time is Walking Dead

#8 7 years ago

SPOILERS: Stern won't be releasing a game for their 30th anniversary, they'll just send the writer of this article a pass to the room where they test the machines using robots /s

But seriously, it's nice to see pinball continuing to get publicity

#9 7 years ago

I had to comment about the author calling them "tables". That shows where the author plays his pinball.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

I had to comment about the author calling them "tables". That shows where the author plays his pinball.

Haha, virtual pinball player for sure.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

I'm with you here - one of my pet dislikes is calling a pinball machine a "table" - YUCK!

In fact, a table is exactly what a pinball machine IS NOT! You don't want to put anything on it like you would a table.

#12 7 years ago

Jody's 99.9% figure is off, but I doubt he was trying to speak with accuracy as much as he was just trying to make a point. I would guess that Stern is most like 85%-90%, maybe as high as 95% of games sold. Still effectively a monopoly, but newcomers are edging in and taking some measure of sales.

#13 7 years ago

Thanks for posting the article.

#14 7 years ago

I've played for 30+ years and I'll refer to a pin as a table all the time. The vocabulary has been around longer than VP. Just sayin....

Article kinda sucked but the pics were great. Calling "Lazer Lord" the first Stern got it off to a bad start. Didn't improve much from there. Jody came off as kind of an asshole egging on the upstarts, IMO.

Thanks for the link, OP!

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

I'm with you here - one of my pet dislikes is calling a pinball machine a "table" - YUCK!
    In fact, a table is exactly what a pinball machine IS NOT! You don't want to put anything on it like you would a table.

A pinball machine is four legs and a surface. Albeit uneven as it may be, it is literally a table!!

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from fumbleflippers:

A pinball machine is four legs and a surface. Albeit uneven as it may be, it is literally a table!!

No - a table is 4 legs and a surface, a pinball machine is much more than this.

Using your analogy a car would also qualify as a table. 4 wheels and a flat roof

*************** Dictionary says **********
    table
    ˈteɪb(ə)l/
    noun
    noun: table; plural noun: tables

a piece of furniture with a flat top and one or more legs, providing a level surface for eating, writing, or working at.
    "she put the plate on the table"
    synonyms: bench, board, work surface, worktop, counter, desk, bar, buffet, stand, workbench, worktable, top, horizontal surface, surface
    "she put the plates on the table"

Notice it specifically states "flat top" and "level surface" neither of which apply to a pinball machine.

#17 7 years ago

"I want someone to be successful," he said. "We probably do 99.9 percent of the games shipped. That's not an industry, it's a monopoly.

So...Shipping about 1 million pins a year

#18 7 years ago

I also commented on the article about the playfield press. The article said it is for making the playfield flat but I'm pretty sure it's for putting dimples into the playfield. Maybe someone can confirm this.

The article was obviously written by someone new to pinball but I thought it was a nice article with some quality pictures.

#19 7 years ago

"Table" is a very old term for pinball machines. It's been used since the EM era on up. Heck, Pinball Wizard uses it.

"I thought I was The Bally table king
    But I just handed my pinball crown to him."

Quoted from FalconPunch:

"I want someone to be successful," he said. "We probably do 99.9 percent of the games shipped. That's not an industry, it's a monopoly.
    So...Shipping about 1 million pins a year

Yeah, that figure is WAY off.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

"Table" is a very old term for pinball machines. It's been used since the EM era on up. Heck, Pinball Wizard uses it.
    "I thought I was The Bally table king
    But I just handed my pinball crown to him."

Yeah, that figure is WAY off.

It does seem to have fallen out of favor though. I've never heard tourney players or designers use the term. It's mostly virtual players that use it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-polygon-article-on-stern-pins-stern-factory and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.