Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 177 posts
  • 73 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by JSmith
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2014-08-11 at 09.27.29.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#128 9 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Sledge hammer to fix a minor issue
    A person should always be able to edit their post
    Better (firmer) moderation would make idiots think before they post garbage

It's not a minor issue - as other forum admins would tell you.

People like to rewrite history... the old "think before you post" mantra doesn't really sink in for a lot of people.

#130 9 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

What problem is being solved where normal posts can't be edited > 1 year?
    Can we ask moderators to undo this requirement for restoration threads where we have lists on the 2nd and 3rd post?
    Or better yet,
    Are restoration threads ever an issue for you, Robin?
    Is there any chance we can give Restoration threads immunity to these editing rules?
    I structure my restoration threads like this:
    1) introduction (1/2 a page, so the first time read isn't a massive list in your face)
    2) lists of tasks
    3) likely a summary (when it's done of before/after)
    4+ are the "Rest of the thread"
    Some of my restoration threads may take longer than a year to complete, since I am doing 5 at once in my off hours.
    =)
    thanks,
    mof

A far simpler approach is to have different edit rules for a specialized forum like a restoration forum. If there are very specific needs for that kind of topic that are specialized - then treat it as specialized.

But you still have the problem of people that get mad and try to 'take all their toys home' and wipe out all their previous contributions.

#157 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wizcat:

No, because I lose ownership of content that I have provided. It's the principals of the policy change that upset me.

It's not a change - your contributions have never been temporary. You should look at the Terms of Service when you signed up:

"In contributing to Pinside.com, you agree to grant Pinside.com a perpetual, non-exclusive right and licence to publish your contribution on the website whilst you continue to remain a member, as well as to publish and distribute your contribution, and with your separate permission, as part of any compilation work that Pinside.com may choose to produce in any format at any time. Once you have given your permission, it cannot be withdrawn. This will apply even if you have been suspended or banned from the site."

This is consistent everywhere online. Assume once you submit it, it's permanent.

Quoted from Wizcat:

Look, I get it. It 'solves' two problems:
    a) There may be once or twice amongst the thousands of users where someone has got upset and deleted their content. So what? They provided that content. For whatever reason they've decided they don't want to be part of the community and now delete that content. It may break up the flow of the thread, but I would argue that a user is well within their rights to delete their own content. Most often this kind of thing happens when a user has been in an argument and would like the opportunity to start over. I'd say that is more a good thing than a bad thing.
    b) Someone may maliciously change their post to cause trouble in some capacity. Whether its faking the price that something sold for, or whatever, its bad behaviour. That should already be addressable by banning.
    A policy change like this is taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Over the top, unnecessary and unwelcome.

Just because you didn't see it, so you think it's only 'once or twice' doesn't make it true.. as Robin has already stated, and I can tell you as another site operator. It's pretty standard to limit editing because the problems are so frequent and it's an easy fix.

You'd be amazed at how frequently you get requests for "please take my posts down" or afterwards people go "please delete everything I had on the site". People think just because it's hidden from view it somehow goes away forever.. nevermind all the different caches, bots, etc that have scraped it long ago.

When people have an expectation of 'oh I can just remove it' they tend to react without thinking of the consequences.

#158 9 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I don't think a publicly viewable edit log is a good idea. However, the idea to log post edits is interesting. It could work as a moderation tool. That way the mod team can spot the bad apples and send out warnings to users with questionable editing behaviour. We could even use it to restore posts in case of a user meltdown, a user error or even a site error.

post history has been a feature of vbulletin and xenforo for quite some time. Very useful.. you get a version history and a diff view between versions.

#169 9 years ago

I believe this is a nudge at the well known Google corporate mantra of "Don't Be Evil"... which was a jab at the interpretation of Microsoft's strategies.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-policy-for-editing-your-posts?tu=flynnibus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.