Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 177 posts
  • 73 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by JSmith
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2014-08-11 at 09.27.29.png
    There are 177 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 9 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

* Can you point out a few threads that demonstrate this problem? How frequent is this problem? How bad is this problem?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trade-my-fish-tales-for-your-addams-family#post-1803591

#102 9 years ago

So you're changing policy based on some very rare occurrences? so we all have to suffer because of this? REALLY? think about this a bit.

a far better approach is to reprimand the rare individuals that do bad things. or remove their IDs. but don't make everyone suffer for small stupid stuff.

again, micro management is not the answer. trying to control everyone/everything is silly at best, and tyrannical at worse.

i'm really having a hard time thinking that silly Fishtales trade/sell thread (really who cares anyway?) is enough to implement this policy.

#103 9 years ago

While I understand why Robin would implement a new policy, I do not think this is a big problem to start with, and it may create other problems and could become a nuisance. I see a number of threads in which changing the first post or the title is beneficial:

- FS threads. (Title may be edited with "new price" or "sold")
    - Tech threads: the solution could be inserted in the first post
    - Add a poll
    - if someone makes a dumb mistake (I did that at least once) or add a outrageous statement or proposal, allowing him/her to remove it seems fair to me.

I would suggest keeping a trace - each edited post should have a mandatory statement (edited by xx on (insert date)) even if the original version is not available.

Post edited by jlm33: removed spelling mistake...

#104 9 years ago

those are both from relatively inactive members.

Maybe make the no edit rule for members that have been here less than X amount plus less than X activity. If any old timers violate the 'rule' of not editing actual content then just remove privlages.

Probably also a good idea to provide guidelines for editing posts and what is appropriate or not.

#105 9 years ago

Whysnow Robin mentioned this already.

#106 9 years ago

It's not as rare as you think, it's happening a lot.

Quoted from cfh:

So you're changing policy based on some very rare occurrences? so we all have to suffer because of this? REALLY? think about this a bit.

I agree with you. Users who are pulling this kind of garbage should be either suspended or banned. IMO, people trolling threads is one thing, but when you are not an honest seller, that is 100 times worse.

I still think for sale posts should be locked from editing.

Quoted from cfh:

a far better approach is to reprimand the rare individuals that do bad things. or remove their IDs. but don't make everyone suffer for small stupid stuff.

#107 9 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

how often do you edit your posts months later? also you must lead a charmed life if that constitutes suffering.

Quoted from cfh:

a far better approach is to reprimand the rare individuals that do bad things. or remove their IDs.

by then the damage is done.

Quoted from cfh:

again, micro management is not the answer. trying to control everyone/everything is silly at best, and tyrannical at worse.

tyrannical.

Quoted from cfh:

i'm really having a hard time thinking that that silly Fishtales trade/sell thread (really who cares anyway?) is enough to implement this policy.

an example was requested and provided. it's not the sole reason.

#108 9 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

- Add a poll

Robin has talked about solutions to these such as allowing the first post in a thread to remain editable, and other options.

Quoted from jlm33:

- if someone makes a dumb mistake (I did that at least once) or add a outrageous statement or proposal, allowing him/her to remove it seems fair to me.

this wouldn't effect proofreading or fixing dumb mistakes. pretty sure the plan is for your post to remain editable for several hours. people editing posts days later is part of the problem -- the conversation becomes nonsensical.

#109 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

However, I also believe that what people post, should be something they control. If someone posts something and wants to edit/delete it (whether it's 3 hours or 3 days later), they should have that right. I've never liked the fact that you could not outright delete posts on Pinside. Every other system from Facebook to RGP/usenet has this ability. When you make posts permanent, non-removable/editable, you are basically taking control of your users' content and away from them.
    I can see both sides of the issue, but I am not convinced taking away peoples' rights to their own writing is the best solution, and I don't know of many popular sites that do this.

Everyone has control over what they post. Unless the mind controlling aliens are REAL ... are they?

Once you hit "Send Post" the content belongs to Pinside, and the internet. No one would like a capricious pinsider removing/deleting all of their helpful technical threads in a fit of anger or a rage quit.

Pinside has needed this to prevent rage quits and deletes. Some really helpful information could be lost just due to alcohol for instance.

I like the strike text idea. I have seen that used and it's functional.

#110 9 years ago

I think the only way to truly handle this situation is to develop an edit history. This would allow users full, unlimited editing of all their posts all the time. Robin could place a button to click near the bottom right corner of the post that says "post edited" and when you click on that button it would show all the previous edits, from most current to oldest, as well as the date and time each version of the post was originally posted. This would allow the post to look clean and not filled with edit junk, but that the original versions could still be uncovered by anyone.

Say someone edits out their hateful comments, leaving a one-sided argument. You'd be able to click on the Edit History button on the post and see all of the previous edits.

#111 9 years ago
    Quoted from dmklunk:

I think the only way to truly handle this situation is to develop an edit history. This would allow users full, unlimited editing of all their posts all the time. Robin could place a button to click near the bottom right corner of the post that says "post edited" and when you click on that button it would show all the previous edits, from most current to oldest, as well as the date and time each version of the post was originally posted. This would allow the post to look clean and not filled with edit junk, but that the original versions could still be uncovered by anyone.
    Say someone edits out their hateful comments, leaving a one-sided argument. You'd be able to click on the Edit History button on the post and see all of the previous edits.

i don't like showing a post's history. sorta defeats the purpose of editing if people can see the unedited version (which i'm sure everyone will do out of curiosity). i like the idea of a grace period of several hours, after which it becomes permanent. (except things like OPs in restoration threads and the like)

#112 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

i don't like showing a post's history. sorta defeats the purpose of editing if people can see the unedited version (which i'm sure everyone will do out of curiosity). i like the idea of a grace period of several hours, after which it becomes permanent. (except things like OPs in restoration threads and the like)

Maybe a 15 minute grace period without a publicly viewable editing history?

#113 9 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

works for me. or kick it up to an hour or a day even, whatever. i wonder though how eager Robin is to implement version control for posts.

#114 9 years ago
    Quoted from cfh:

So you're changing policy based on some very rare occurrences? so we all have to suffer because of this?

With all due respect, I think you are overreacting. This is a policy that will affect virtually no one. How often do people go back and edit a post weeks or months later? I don't think I ever have. The only ones who do it are people who want to remove some of their personal history from Pinside. They do it because they are angry, or crazy, or have a meltdown. Others do it because they got caught in a lie and want to cover their tracks. These are the types of situations that this policy is trying to address. Your average Pinsider will be unaffected by these changes. In the rare circumstance that someone does need to legitimately go back and change one of their old posts, all they have to do is ask.

Yes, there are some types of threads that warrant more editing. That's why we are discussing the idea of having different editing policies in different sub-forums. For example, it makes perfect sense for a restoration thread to have more relaxed editing rules than some other types of threads. Obviously, people often wish to change the price in a for sale thread. These are the types of things we are thinking about when making these changes.

I think Aurich perfectly summed it up:

Quoted from Aurich:

Pinside is a community. When you delete your posts, you rip the fabric of that.

Like RGP, Pinside is an archive of pinball history. Not only does it contain a wealth of technical knowledge, but it is also a collection of stories, interactions, pricing history, etc ... It is our duty to make sure that all of this history remains intact, and these new policies are designed to do just that.

#115 9 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

To be clear, pending discussion and further thought about this, I have currently set the following limits:

New Pinside users
    Opening post: editable for 2 days
    Normal post: editable for 8 hours

Regular Pinside users (you become a regular based on karma / time you are a member)
    Opening post: forever editable
    Normal post: editable for a year

seems like a reasonable compromise

#116 9 years ago

Have you read all the posts in this thread? Have you done any research before making these claims?
    I'll answer a few of your questions that I don't think you put in the time to learn the answers to before making some wild claims. Those answers are in this thread, and likely in Robin's database.
    -mof

Quoted from gweempose:

This is a policy that will affect virtually no one.

How do you know that? Have you reviewed the total number of legit/helpful/popular users like Aurich/vid1900 who edit and re-edit helpful tech posts before you invent facts like this?

Quoted from gweempose:

How often do people go back and edit a post weeks or months later?

If you re-read my post earlier, you'll recall my response to this:

Quoted from mof:

Huge disappointment for anyone who runs long very-useful threads with any kind of lists or summaries. (this is an understatement)
    1. Every club thread I run has posts at the top that are a "summary" of the good information the users bring to the club. I edit them on a weekly basis.
    2. Every restore thread I run has 1-2 posts at the top with my task lists, shopping lists, and hours. I edit them on a daily basis.
    3. Aurich or anyone selling something amazing keeps his data current in the first thread.
    4. Teachers like vid1900 often put specialized information in the first few posts, knowing that the thread will be 30+ pages some day, and they will need to update that information over time.
    I'll stop at 4 use cases.

Quoted from gweempose:

The only ones who do it are people who want to remove some of their personal history from Pinside. They do it because they are angry, or crazy, or have a meltdown.

I am not part of the group "the only ones" neither is vid1900 or Aurich.

My advice to you is:

1) read posts in a thread before stating opinion as fact.
    2) before making assertions, gather more facts.

Hope that helps.

-mof

#117 9 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

While I understand why Robin would implement a new policy, I do not think this is a big problem to start with, and it may create other problems and could become a nuisance. I see a number of threads in which changing the first post or the title is beneficial:
    - Add a poll
    I would suggest keeping a trace - each edited post should have a mandatory statement (edited by xx on (insert date)) even if the original version is not available.
    Post edited by jlm33: removed spelling mistake...

This is an interesting idea as long is edit history is HIDDEN by default.

-mof

#118 9 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Have you read all the posts in this thread? Have you done any research before making these claims?

I've read every post in this thread, and I stand by everything that I said. Very few users will be affected by this. Just because you aren't happy with it, doesn't mean it is a bad policy. Plus, nothing is set in stone yet. Robin is listening to all the arguments for and against, and he is determined to make a policy that works best for Pinside as a whole.

#119 9 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Definitely wouldn't work for me. I sometimes make mistakes when I start a thread, and I then have to go fix them right away to avoid looking foolish. Sometimes it's a timing issue (slow internet/cpu) or posting twice. This happens to me -- monthly I'd say.
    -mof

#120 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I know lots! Facebook isn't a forum, it's a shared personal stream.

Facebook is a forum, a personal stream, a collection of private groups, messageboards, chats, etc.

In every case except for PMs, Facebook allows users to delete things that are posted publicly, even in private groups.

Quoted from Aurich:

Pinside is a community, when you delete your posts you rip the fabric of that. We don't allow users to delete their posts at Ars either for that reason, it's very disruptive. You're posting to a public space, not a private tool (Facebook etc) that you then choose to share or not as you see fit.

It depends upon the nature of the forum. I run a bunch of private and public forums as well.

If the general policy is the user is entitled to "own" and "control" his content, he/she should have the right to edit/delete their content.

If the policy is to appropriate other peoples' work and take their right to it away from them, for whatever reason, then it would be consistent to prohibit editing/deleting. If this is the case, there should be a clear terms of service which states this, and users should acknowledge and recognize that when they post, they are relinquishing rights to the content they supply (which obviously also includes images). This is not necessarily assumed on any private or public system.

Quoted from pezpunk:

This is a privately-run forum, you have no actual rights. How about people take responsibility for the things they type instead.

Private or not private, there are "rights." If someone uploads copyrighted content onto Pinside, that doesn't take away the copyright to the content.

It's the principal of the matter in my opinion. What's more important? Respecting user rights, or the site's right?

In any case, I like Robin's compromise... although I still think, that if a user wants to delete their content, they should. I totally understand why this can be problematic -- you have to balance the rights of the users with the value of the archive, but it just seems respectful to people and what they contribute. Obviously some people might "take their ball and go home" and leave gaps in old content, but this works both ways.. if someone is upset enough to want to do that (and their content was valuable enough to miss if it was deleted), that's an issue that can't be addressed simply by denying them the ability alter their posts. There's a larger issue going on that wouldn't be as obvious. You're losing a good user, who won't post any more, or a bad user just did you a favor and removed all their non-useful content.

#121 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

how often do you edit your posts months later? also you must lead a charmed life if that constitutes suffering.

That's a great way to dismiss the opinion of someone who has probably contributed more to Pinball than the total of all the content on Pinside. And you guys wonder why Clay doesn't participate more here?

Quoted from gweempose:

With all due respect, I think you are overreacting.

Clay is talking about the principal of the matter. Your argument is like saying, "Well, what's the harm in the NSA archiving all internet content? If you're not doing anything illegal, why should it matter?"

It's the principal.

Some people appreciate the ability to have more control over what they submit. It's not overreacting. It's about freedom and rights. If some people feel this way, respect their opinion. You may disagree, but you don't have to tell them in so many words, you think they're wrong. Just disagree.

#122 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

That's a great way to dismiss the opinion of someone who has probably contributed more to Pinball than the total of all the content on Pinside. And you guys wonder why Clay doesn't participate more here?

that's a great way to dismiss my perfectly valid question of how often do you edit posts months later, that don't fall under the already-discussed exceptions such as OPs of restoration or for sale threads?

Quoted from PinballHelp:

Clay is talking about the principal of the matter. Your argument is like saying, "Well, what's the harm in the NSA archiving all internet content? If you're not doing anything illegal, why should it matter?"
    It's the principal.

ok nevermind i am not gonna argue with someone who equates pinside with the NSA.

#123 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

that's a great way to dismiss my perfectly valid question of how often do you edit posts months later, that don't fall under the already-discussed exceptions such as OPs of restoration or for sale threads?

ok nevermind i am not gonna argue with someone who equates pinside with the NSA.

I wasn't equating Pinside with the NSA. It was an analogy. Analogy != Equivalence.

Likewise, I shouldn't argue with someone who takes other peoples words out of context and over-dramatizes them.

Everybody knows what Clay meant by the term "suffer", not in any harsh way - it was a figure of speech. But perhaps you don't realize that to some people, their knowledge and their words are things of value that they might desire to protect and have control over? If you don't feel this way about yours, that's your choice, but belittling someone else who does is not necessarily a respectful way to get your point across. Just sayin'

#124 9 years ago

still haven't heard a valid reason to edit posts months later outside of restoration and for sale threads.

#125 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

still haven't heard a valid reason [according to my personal definition of "valid"] to edit posts months later outside of restoration and for sale threads.

FTFY

#126 9 years ago

try again -- still haven't heard ANY reason, valid or not.

#127 9 years ago

(i mean specific reasons that actually happen, not vague principles (edited to seem less rude))

#128 9 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Sledge hammer to fix a minor issue
    A person should always be able to edit their post
    Better (firmer) moderation would make idiots think before they post garbage

It's not a minor issue - as other forum admins would tell you.

People like to rewrite history... the old "think before you post" mantra doesn't really sink in for a lot of people.

#129 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

still haven't heard ANY reason, valid or not.

While I tend to agree with you, here is one. I announced a tourney several weeks in advance on local forums. Turns out one of the machines supposed to be here won't be ready in time. I just edited the list several months after the initial announcement.

#130 9 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

What problem is being solved where normal posts can't be edited > 1 year?
    Can we ask moderators to undo this requirement for restoration threads where we have lists on the 2nd and 3rd post?
    Or better yet,
    Are restoration threads ever an issue for you, Robin?
    Is there any chance we can give Restoration threads immunity to these editing rules?
    I structure my restoration threads like this:
    1) introduction (1/2 a page, so the first time read isn't a massive list in your face)
    2) lists of tasks
    3) likely a summary (when it's done of before/after)
    4+ are the "Rest of the thread"
    Some of my restoration threads may take longer than a year to complete, since I am doing 5 at once in my off hours.
    =)
    thanks,
    mof

A far simpler approach is to have different edit rules for a specialized forum like a restoration forum. If there are very specific needs for that kind of topic that are specialized - then treat it as specialized.

But you still have the problem of people that get mad and try to 'take all their toys home' and wipe out all their previous contributions.

#131 9 years ago

I agree that it's overkill for sure, but I don't really care one way or the other yet.

#132 9 years ago

How about limiting the NUMBER of edits somebody could do in a certain timeframe. That would stop people from emptying threads and shouldn't create new problems.

#133 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

It's the principal.

Some people appreciate the ability to have more control over what they submit. It's not overreacting. It's about freedom and rights. If some people feel this way, respect their opinion. You may disagree, but you don't have to tell them in so many words, you think they're wrong. Just disagree.

Look, I completely understand that these new rules could potentially make posting on Pinside less convenient in certain circumstances. I get that. Unfortunately, this is a case where a few bad apples have fu**ed it up for everyone else. In a perfect world, restrictions such as these wouldn't be necessary, but the fact of the matter is that there are some assholes out there that need limits.

#134 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

still haven't heard a valid reason to edit posts months later outside of restoration and for sale threads.

You haven't heard of 4 strong use cases where ongoing editing is common?

1. club thread (mof use case)
    2. ongoing restoration (mof use case)
    3. Selling third party custom items (Aurich use case)
    4. ongoing instructional (vid1900 use case)

There may be more, I just felt that 4 was enough to make a strong point.
    -mof

Quoted from mof:

Huge disappointment for anyone who runs long very-useful threads with any kind of lists or summaries.

1. Every club thread I run has posts at the top that are a "summary" of the good information the users bring to the club. I edit them on a weekly basis.
    2. Every restore thread I run has 1-2 posts at the top with my task lists, shopping lists, and hours. I edit them on a daily basis.
    3. Aurich or anyone selling something amazing keeps his data current in the first thread.
    4. Teachers like vid1900 often put specialized information in the first few posts, knowing that the thread will be 30+ pages some day, and they will need to update that information over time.
    I'll stop at 4 use cases.

#135 9 years ago

I like the passion in this thread.
    -mof

#136 9 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

You haven't heard of 4 strong use cases where ongoing editing is common?
    1. club thread (mof use case)
    2. ongoing restoration (mof use case)
    3. Selling third party custom items (Aurich use case)
    4. ongoing instructional (vid1900 use case)
    There may be more, I just felt that 4 was enough to make a strong point.
    -mof

Robin's already discussed making exceptions for those forums and thread types though.

#137 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Robin's already discussed making exceptions for those forums and thread types though.

If editing rules were implemented in the "Machines for Sale" thread only, would that cover 80%+ of the "problems" trying to be solved here? That's what I'm wondering...

-mof

#138 9 years ago

Seems that the change has created more unrest than the original problem.

#139 9 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Look, I completely understand that these new rules could potentially make posting on Pinside less convenient in certain circumstances. I get that. Unfortunately, this is a case where a few bad apples have fu**ed it up for everyone else. In a perfect world, restrictions such as these wouldn't be necessary, but the fact of the matter is that there are some assholes out there that need limits.

I agree with you, but that sounds like a moderation problem, and not an editing problem. Usually if someone is going to edit something, they're more likely to tone-DOWN the amplitude of a-hole-ness, than crank it up.

I think the best way to address increasing hostility which tends to screw up the harmony on the board is to be more strict in sanctioning people who respond to criticism with personal insults (veiled or otherwise).

Anyway, I don't really have that much of a dog in this hunt. I see both sides. I think restricting editing means more work for moderators though.

Has there been a lot of complaints about content being removed? I've seen the occasional "." posts, but I figure, no big loss. Then again, it would be pretty hilarious if someone created a thread entitled, "Here's the direct URL to download all new Stern game code.." and the post just had "." in it.

#140 9 years ago

Wow, thanks to all participating in this thread. The amount of feedback to this is, quite frankly, overwhelming. But understandable too. Please understand that I'm trying to decide what's best for the Pinside here. There are no tyrannical motives, no deals with the NSA. It's not a matter of "all your base are belong to us".

I spotted a problem that has been a growing concern of mine because I think it's bad for the forum. I acted on this by implementing some editing limits (in fact, we already had limits in place which changed several times over the past few years, what I did was I just tightened up the rules and added a distinction between normal posts and opening posts). The examples given in this thread are mostly the clear cases (emptied posts), but keep in mind that editing of old posts is also occurring where it is not as easy to spot (subtle changes). In other words: the problem is bigger than it may seem on the surface.

So here's what I think. I believe that allowing unlimited editing is not good for a discussion forum. It's hard to have a conversation if everyone is able to change what he/she said at their own convenience. IMHO, when you choose to participate in conversation with others then your contributions become part of a larger whole, that of the community. It is not fair if one is allowed to remove (parts of) his post and thereby making content by people who reacted to that post seem weird, or overreacting or off-topic etc.

I also think that people will think a bit more what they post if they know it will be part of public history.

That said, I don't want the good posters (the vast majority of Pinsiders) to bear the burden of this policy too much. And yes, there are plenty of exception cases, as illustrated by Aurich, Vid, Mof threads (I think that allowing unlimited editing for opening posts could solve most of these issues).

One thought I had was making regular post editing possible for a time frame, depending on the amount of reactions under your post. For example, after 10 posts under your post, you can no longer edit your post.

Some of you seem to think editing capabilities will be complete removed. That's not the case. There will always be a time frame in which you are allowed to edit your post. What we are trying to figure out is: how big this time frame should be.

I don't think a publicly viewable edit log is a good idea. However, the idea to log post edits is interesting. It could work as a moderation tool. That way the mod team can spot the bad apples and send out warnings to users with questionable editing behaviour. We could even use it to restore posts in case of a user meltdown, a user error or even a site error.

Another good idea is to make an edit log (only the edit dates, not the actual post contents for each edit) available with optionally an edit comment for each edit. For example, a parts for sale thread could have a log like this:

- Post "parts for sale" created by JohnDoe 5 days ago.
    - Post renamed to "Twilight zone parts for sale" by Moderator 5 days ago.
    - Edited by JohnDoe 5 days ago: "Fixed some typos."
    - Edited by JohnDoe 2 days ago: "Updated post because some parts are sold".
    - Edited by JohnDoe 1 hour ago: "Updated post because all parts are sold".

That might work well and could be a solution not requiring severe limiting of edit capabilities. Still I think there should be some kind of time frame limit.

Well, nothing is set in stone yet. This thread clearly illustrates that the issue deserves a well thought out solution.

Again, for now the limits are as follows:

New Pinside users
    Opening post: editable for 2 days
    Normal post: editable for 8 hours

Regular Pinside users (you become a regular based on karma / time you are a member)
    Opening post: forever editable
    Normal post: editable for a year

#141 9 years ago

Ugh. Do NOT want.

What you're proposing is that for any posts we make, we lose our ownership on. They become the property of Pinside. I do understand the problem that you're trying to fix, but this is definitely an overreaction to the problem.

I'm another that would probably cease posting, or at least very radically cut down with a policy change like this.

Infact, I expect this wouldn't even be legal/put you in awkward footing in many jurisdictions. In England the Data Protection act allows users to request that companies delete any personally identifiable information. With most forums the users can manage this themselves, but if you remove that ability then you'll need to micromanage requests from users that want to delete their information.

#142 9 years ago

If it's an issue that needs to be addressed, then my vote would be, as others have suggested, allow posters to append rather than edit posts/titles. Seems like the easiest way to address the problem.

#143 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wizcat:

Ugh. Do NOT want.
    What you're proposing is that for any posts we make, we lose our ownership on. They become the property of Pinside.

it's trying to prevent people from re-writing history. if a person wants to participate in a community, then they need to take responsibility for the things they say while a member of it.

Quoted from Wizcat:

I'm another that would probably cease posting, or at least very radically cut down with a policy change like this.

because you can't edit a post a month later? how often do you do this, and for what reason?

Quoted from Wizcat:

Infact, I expect this wouldn't even be legal/put you in awkward footing in many jurisdictions.

no it wouldn't. it's a privately-run forum.

Quoted from Wizcat:

In England the Data Protection act allows users to request that companies delete any personally identifiable information. With most forums the users can manage this themselves, but if you remove that ability then you'll need to micromanage requests from users that want to delete their information.

mods and admins assist users with their accounts all the time on here. that's not a new burden.

#144 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

because you can't edit a post a month later? how often do you do this, and for what reason?

No, because I lose ownership of content that I have provided. It's the principals of the policy change that upset me.

Look, I get it. It 'solves' two problems:

a) There may be once or twice amongst the thousands of users where someone has got upset and deleted their content. So what? They provided that content. For whatever reason they've decided they don't want to be part of the community and now delete that content. It may break up the flow of the thread, but I would argue that a user is well within their rights to delete their own content. Most often this kind of thing happens when a user has been in an argument and would like the opportunity to start over. I'd say that is more a good thing than a bad thing.

b) Someone may maliciously change their post to cause trouble in some capacity. Whether its faking the price that something sold for, or whatever, its bad behaviour. That should already be addressable by banning.

A policy change like this is taking a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Over the top, unnecessary and unwelcome.

#145 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wizcat:

No, because I lose ownership of content that I have provided. It's the principals of the policy change that upset me.

if you say something in real life, you don't get to go back in time and pretend you didn't say it. you can apologize for it later, you can seek to make ammends, but your actions are your responsibility. i don't really see what principle is being stood up for here, other than the ability to cover up a mistake with plausible deniability.

#146 9 years ago

I think the one year limit on secondary posts is quite reasonable. After all on the rare occasion there was a serious matter after one year a person could always contact Robin or a mod to take care of it. Those instances would be rare in my opinion.

#147 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wizcat:

No, because I lose ownership of content that I have provided.

You no longer "own" it once it's been posted publicly. You're broadcasting to the entire internet, this isn't "private" in any sense of the word. That's part of what being a member of a public community entails.

If that makes you uncomfortable then don't post.

I post here under my real name, I'm very conscious that everything I say is public. I've probably said a few things I regret. So it goes.

I just want editing for practical reasons, so I can update long running sale threads with the most current info for instance. I'm very sympathetic to the abuse that Robin is trying to address.

#148 9 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

if you say something in real life, you don't get to go back in time and pretend you didn't say it. you can apologize for it later, you can seek to make ammends, but your actions are your responsibility. i don't really see what principle is being stood up for here, other than the ability to cover up a mistake with plausible deniability.

There is a very real difference between a momentary conversation between a limited audience, and an internet post that will likely be around for decades, visible to the entire world.

It's a serious issue that is being addressed by courts and in law : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27631001

#149 9 years ago

I vote for no edits, only appends. USENET got along for decades without edits. Don't have diarrhea of the keyboard and you should have no problems any edits can be made before pushing the send post button .. corrections can be made in subsequent posts. If you're don't think you'll be comfortable with your post in the future, maybe you shouldn't post it in the present?

#150 9 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

I vote for no edits, only appends. USENET got along for decades without edits.

Usenet always has had the ability to delete messages though.

How about restricting editing after x amount of time, but allowing deletions after that, but deletions go into a moderation queue and you have to explain why you're wanting to delete something? This way you could monitor scenarios where you sense a bunch of useful content being removed and the user has a chance to explain why.

There are scenarios where this could happen. Let's say someone decides to write a book about some topic they discussed on Pinside, and had information and photos they put up a year ago. A publisher would want that information taken down prior to publishing the book. (I recognize in this situation, they could petition a moderator to delete the content, but if it was scattered around, it would be easier for the user themselves to submit the individual posts to the deletion queue and not make extra work for mods to track down stuff - just an idea -- and generally I think this is an aside to the basic rule that gives most users the ability to delete posts regardless)

There are 177 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-policy-for-editing-your-posts/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.