pasted_image (resized).png
TFP Texas Pinball recap episode cover (resized).jpg
IMAG0524.jpg
7A500621-D7A5-4599-BEAF-B42BC4B9EDA7 (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2018-01-25 at 1.35.41 PM (resized).png
There are 483 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 10.
#251 7 years ago

Episode 28 is all uploaded and ready for your listening pleasures!

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#252 7 years ago

Have you guys figured out why Earthshaker was set up with a screwed up (literally) left flipper?

http://papa.org/learning-center/directors-guide/?target=game-setup

"To reduce game times, tournament directors can introduce flipper hop by placing a small wad of tape underneath the left flipper rubber. This type of fix is far from ideal, but if Earthshaker must be used and the length of the games to be played is a genuine concern for the format or location, the flipper hop will usually help reduce ball time."

Also note that they appeared to have put some kind of blocker in the 5 hole so that clean shots wouldn't stay in the scoop and feeds to the upper flipper were hard to come by.

I did not enjoy playing this Earthshaker, but I did manage to win my group on it.

1 week later
#253 7 years ago

Just listened to episode 28, that Buffy story was hilarious.

This may inadvertently fuel your hatred of Amish but I know they don't have to use passports to go into Canada or come back.

#254 7 years ago

I had to laugh at the Stranger Things story and Tommy giving Taylor a hard time about his hamfistedness. "They caress the machine like a fine woman."

#255 7 years ago

Heard some jive about Tommy being a quitter..........come on?!?!

#256 7 years ago

anther great podcast....thanks guys!

#257 7 years ago

Now accepting applications for a new podcast cohost?

#259 7 years ago

Hang in there, Tommy. We're rooting for you.

#260 7 years ago

Tommy - why are dumping the entire collection???? Just saw the Facebook post!

#261 7 years ago

Sorry. The position has been filled.........BY ME!!!

Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Now accepting applications for a new podcast cohost?

#262 7 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I ain't dead yet

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#263 7 years ago

This is confusing... I've heard of going from 0 to 60.... But this is like going from 6,000 to full on reverse!

Hope it's for happy reasons!

1 week later
#264 7 years ago

Troll the thread!! I think should Kristen replace Tommy. MUCH better dynamic. Less sexual tension. And now for some sweet punk

Ladies in Punk and Pinball....always be better than me.

#265 7 years ago

Taylor,

Episode 29 was a great show. Kristin has a voice (literally and figuratively) please encourage her to participate more. I've got young kids and really enjoy them being involved. It was nice to hear about your family enjoying pinball.

The part on sexism was well done. I know because parts of it made me uncomfortable to listen. I don't necessarily agree with everything you (Taylor) said, but I get your points. I'm in the deep South, manners and courteous behavior are the norm, but we have plenty of "dicks" also. In some parts of the country people see it as offensive. I personally don't think either point of view is wrong. I do think both points of view should be open to the perspective of the other. I'm talking about things like door opening and "ladies first". I would never allow harassment or "being a dick" as you put it, in my presence or home.

Let's take a quick diversion to an example of something people would easily mis-understand. My wife is a physician, a very busy and talented one. She works with men as colleagues and partners. She can out operate some of them, out earn some of them, and generally draw more patients than some of them. They are still able to work together happily. Some of those same men, pull out her chair and open doors for her. She's not belittled or offended. She not threatened by them nor they by her. It's just a cultural thing. She doesn't need or desire anyone to be offended for her either, because she's a self made, independent and confident woman. Okay sorry and will stop there. I'm just sharing some perspective.

The rest of the show was quite enjoyable as well. I like that you easily transitioned to regular pinball conversations etc. Tommy, I hope to see you back. Great guy and TFP is a great team. I hope I didn't derail your thread too much. I'm a big fan of the show and listen to each episode ASAP when released. You've even got me thinking about doing my own.

Chris

#266 7 years ago

Chris- thanks for the feedback and for listening, I passed along your compliment to Kristen as well.

The sexism segment was a bit long winded, on my part, as I find it a difficult issue to talk about as I too was brought up with manners that may now seem old fashioned, i.e., holding a door for a woman or the courtesy of "ladies first." Southern charm and chivalry were certainly ideas I was brought up under so I do understand how hard it can be to break from that tradition. I think that the hobby's greatest assets are the people that are involved in it, so when I hear that people are made too uncomfortable to participate in certain aspects of it it becomes everyone's loss and has forced me to consider the things I do that may add to that negative experience.

I expect that TFP will get back to normal in the next couple of weeks. Tommy and I have a ton of stuff coming up and with the hobby entering it's peak seasons there will be more than enough to talk about.

Thanks again for listening,
Taylor

#267 7 years ago

I can't wait to check out this episode.

#268 7 years ago

I picked up this shirt and patch at the Rocky Mountain Show. I just got it back from my local "patch lady". She does all my scout uniforms. I told her not to pay to much attention to the skulls and stuff.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#269 7 years ago

Coming to you later today....or at least this weekend....or right now!

http://www.podcastgarden.com/episode/episode-30_86975

Episode 30! Tommy gets a little emotional and explains some drastic life changes for like the first 25 minutes or so, if you don't want to hear about that perfectly okay, jump to minute 26 or so and we get deep into our ramblings on the current state of our beloved hobby of pinball! We talk Batman 66 excitement, Stern and JJP quality control issues, how to pick games for a small collection, pinball artists, and I'm sure plenty of other stuff I'm sure I have forgotten. Check your RSS feeds, and I'll be sure to post a link back in this thread once the show goes live as well. Happy to be back, and thank you to everyone for your kind words and concerns over the last month while Taylor carried the torch for our show and I dealt with reality for a bit. Hope you enjoy and as always feedback is welcome [email protected] or contact us via pinside, instagram, or twitter, and don't forget to check out our facebook page! This episode contest is to post a picture of yourself with any pinball machine on our facebook page to win a prize package that includes a shirt from Tilt Hammer as well as one of their custom pins, and a tournament prize package from my tournament Main Street Mayhem that includes shirts and stickers from our friends and Double Danger Pinball! Simply post the picture and comment that you want entered into the drawing! -Tommy

Episode 30 Cover (resized).jpgEpisode 30 Cover (resized).jpg

#270 7 years ago

Welcome back Tommy - great to hear you again and in positive spirits after such a rough month for you!

I've only had a chance to listen to the first half hour so far, but wow - quite the forthcoming episode. Good for you man! Looking forward to listening to the remainder of your and Taylor's discussion of recent pinball happenings.

As always - thanks to you guys for an entertaining, informative, and sometimes dramatic podcast!

#271 7 years ago

Same! Good to hear you back on the 'cast, Tommy! Good to know you couldn't be bothered with listening to the episode recorded in your absence.

#272 7 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Same! Good to hear you back on the 'cast, Tommy! Good to know you couldn't be bothered with listening to the episode recorded in your absence.

Yeah right. Wtf?

#273 7 years ago

My bad for trying to get my life together! Hey Taylor how that AFM twitch challenge coming?

#274 7 years ago

great to have you back Tommy and team Flippin Podcast - 1 hr in and enjoying keep up the good work.

#275 7 years ago

Hey Flippin' 'Casters,

Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Good to know you couldn't be bothered with listening to the episode recorded in your absence.

Quoted from TaylorVA:

Yeah right. Wtf?

To quote a fellow podcast...

I kid, I kid...I know you've been goin' through some stuff, my man.

Anyhow, I finally made it all the way through TFP30. (Only able to listen in about 20 minute increments on the way to work...so, you know, one episode tends to last me all month.)

Just wanted to say thanks for the mention of my work (alongside a bunch of other great artists). Really appreciate it. In case anyone is interested, here's all my pinball art:

http://www.ElephantEater.com/10761

Also, I've never heard of Jonas Sandilands that Taylor mentioned, but when I tried to find his website based on Taylors spelling, it didn't turn up anything. Maybe Tay-tay could shoot me that URL (when he's sobered-up).

Also, was happy to hear mention of Brian Holderman's design of the Kickback Cafe. Nick Baldridge and I paid a visit there with our families this past summer...

IMG_20160611_204050 (resized).jpgIMG_20160611_204050 (resized).jpg

...and it was UN-BE-LIEVABLE!!!

IMG_3428 (resized).jpgIMG_3428 (resized).jpgIMG_3429 (resized).jpgIMG_3429 (resized).jpg

Complete with under-lit floor inserts:

IMG_20160611_200436 (resized).jpgIMG_20160611_200436 (resized).jpg

Of course I had to get the Scared Stiff:

IMG_3427 (resized).jpgIMG_3427 (resized).jpg

Anyhow, just had to share and give props out to Holderman for an awe-inspiring job on the Kickback Cafe. I was drooling over every surface of that place. SO well conceived.

Alright, guys, I'm off to go post a pic on your facebook page in a vain attempt at a freebie grab.

Great to have you both back,
Ryan

#276 7 years ago

Ryan- sobered up but now on pain meds from dental work. Yay!

http://www.jonosandilands.com

#277 7 years ago

Wow. Very heavy episode.

Tommy, I commend you for the strength to talk about your situation in public and taking responsibility. I have the kind of personality that I would have just retreated and never spoken of it again. It's kind of inspirational and a positive example of how to deal with mistakes in one's life.

It kind of sounds like you're thinking of staying in the Lafayette area. I'm not sure how the pinball scene would be there if you moved. You seem to be an important piece for that area.

#278 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Wow. Very heavy episode.
Tommy, I commend you for the strength to talk about your situation in public and taking responsibility. I have the kind of personality that I would have just retreated and never spoken of it again. It's kind of inspirational and a positive example of how to deal with mistakes in one's life.
It kind of sounds like you're thinking of staying in the Lafayette area. I'm not sure how the pinball scene would be there if you moved. You seem to be an important piece for that area.

Don't take it as inspiration, take it as an example of how not to treat someone you care so much about. Honestly still no idea on what the future holds for me right now, but having Main Street Mayhem this weekend, and monthly tournament the week after that, and league the week after that....those small things are keeping me busy an going day to day right now. Trust me I much rather have never screwed up and never had to talk about those things, but I wont hide that I'm a flawed human. I try not to be but obviously I am. Just hope to improve. Pinball will always be okay, and I'll remain a part of it because it is a big part of me.

#279 7 years ago

Inspirational may have been the wrong word but I think you understood what I meant. People deserve second chances in life if they are repentant and humble.

Looking forward to seeing you this weekend at the tournament.

#280 7 years ago

Thanks for the custom bingo shout-out guys. Always much appreciated.

Taylor, I look forward to seeing you at York if not before! Gotta get you to try this monstrosity.

Tommy, glad you're back on the pinball wagon.

Love the show, keep it up! You'll catch me in episode count before you know it.

Also: the Kickback Cafe was a fantastic spot for some pinball with the families while we were on vacation. Beautiful atmosphere, great machines - always nice to see an EM in the lineup...

#281 7 years ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

Thanks for the custom bingo shout-out guys. Always much appreciated.
Taylor, I look forward to seeing you at York if not before! Gotta get you to try this monstrosity.
Tommy, glad you're back on the pinball wagon.
Love the show, keep it up! You'll catch me in episode count before you know it.
Also: the Kickback Cafe was a fantastic spot for some pinball with the families while we were on vacation. Beautiful atmosphere, great machines - always nice to see an EM in the lineup...

I am a pathetic friend to have not gotten over to your place yet. Once September is over my life will settle down a little.

Looking forward to York.

#282 7 years ago

Plenty of time, it's not going anywhere.

I'm pretty proud of it and I think you'll like it when you get to try it.

#283 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Tommy, I commend you for the strength to talk about your situation in public and taking responsibility

I just popped by to say the same thing.

Too often, people won't "man up" and take responsibility for their actions, and try and blame others to try and shift the blame and weasel out of it.

I'd like to commend you for coming forward and doing the right thing, as painful as the experience was.

Happy flipping!

rd

#284 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I just popped by to say the same thing.
Too often, people won't "man up" and take responsibility for their actions, and try and blame others to try and shift the blame and weasel out of it.
I'd like to commend you for coming forward and doing the right thing, as painful as the experience was.
Happy flipping!
rd

Well I had no idea the one and only rotodave was a listener, thanks for the kind words. Still dealing with it day by day, this weekends tournament as stressful as it was to organize went amazingly and was a very good distraction from life, got a good picture of me smiling, hadn't seen that in a bit so that felt nice. I was fortunate to be raised by some pretty great parents, and have had several other very influential role models in my life and one common thing they all taught me was responsibility for your actions both positive and negative so I'm thankful for that. All I can do now is try to improve. Looking forward to recording our next episode as well as my home projects are almost done, and I'm ready to talk some more pinball!

#285 7 years ago

JFC people, WHAT ABOUT ME?!

I mean come the FUKC on! I have feelings too...buried deep down behind my blackened heart. Bwahahahahaha!

Recording Wednesday....I think.

hit up our FB page for even more feelings
https://www.facebook.com/thisflippinpodcast/

#286 7 years ago

Apparently we are recording Wednesday....

#287 7 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

JFC people, WHAT ABOUT ME?!
I mean come the FUKC on! I have feelings too...buried deep down behind my blackened heart. Bwahahahahaha!
Recording Wednesday....I think.
hit up our FB page for even more feelings
https://www.facebook.com/thisflippinpodcast/

Hey - I mentioned you in my post Tyler. ( )

Looking forward to you guys having Angelina Jolie as a future podcast guest!

#288 7 years ago

I hear Gary is a listener too, and has some thoughts to share with us.

TAYLOR FEELS (resized).jpgTAYLOR FEELS (resized).jpg

#289 7 years ago

Alright dudes, my data cycle just reset, so I'm gonna give this a whirl.

I was sad to see Tommy not doing well, and want to hear the story! Is that terrible, or good?

When you listen to a bunch of these things, you start to feel like you're actually friends. But, you're not, and that's weird!

You guys both seem like rad people, and I am very grateful for your podcast!

Peace - Scott

thumbnail_IMG_2652 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_2652 (resized).jpg

#290 7 years ago
Quoted from iron00monkey:

I was sad to see Tommy not doing well, and want to hear the story! Is that terrible, or good?
When you listen to a bunch of these things, you start to feel like you're actually friends. But, you're not, and that's weird!
Peace - Scott

JFC Scott, getting me all weepy. In all seriousness, pinball is pretty much the only thing I've done were I felt like a part of it and not just looking from the outside in. Most of my friends are pinheads and most of my time, outside of family stuff, is taken up with making rails, working on or servicing games and playing pinball. I'm not sure how it got to this point but it is and I'm fine with that.

Tommy and I both started podcasting through the One and Done Podcast, which was such a great idea and I wish more had taken part, and the idea was to just share our story. I think it naturally evolved because we are both so deep into the hobby that This Flippin Podcast is just those stories continued. I've met so many people in this hobby and feel a kinship to them no matter who they are, pinball is a great equalizer and when you have people that speak a common language, like pinheads do, I think it is natural to develop friendships quickly. I have always been social at shows and tourneys so meeting new people that listen to the podcast just gives the friendship a jump start. Hope that makes sense.

Cheers. Now go fix your game.

#291 7 years ago
Quoted from iron00monkey:

Peace - Scott

Scott, that's my middle name by the way, thanks for the well wishes my friend and you do know us. As Taylor and I discuss on our new episode we just strive to be us and that is part of why I chose to share my struggle publicly last episode. I'm hurting and missed the show and didn't want to lie to people about why. Rather be judged for my honesty about it. But... Taylor and I are back with a new episode, much less drama, way more happiness and I think we upped the pinball quotion about ten fold. I hope you and everyone else enjoy!

http://www.podcastgarden.com/episode/episode-31_87995

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#292 7 years ago

Listened,

Good on you for owning up to being shitty.
I've been there before, different circumstance.
The positive is that there are no kids involved!

Therapy/counseling is awesome for understanding yourself. I was a psych major

First partner came out, after we had a kid. I had a great therapist, got me out of my nuttiness.

Sounds like Taylor's mouth is Gottlieb's Volcano.

Hoping to meet up with you guys eventually at a pinball show, if I can grab a solo vacation eventually.

Take care!

#293 7 years ago

I was kind of surprised to hear how much Taylor HATES ("I HAAAATE IT!") The Walking Dead given his skill level and his preference for games to be set up to play hard.

I can somewhat empathize as I used to pretty much hate it too when it first came out and I've never really been a big fan of the show. However, once the rules set jelled and I familiarized myself with its features more, I came to appreciate its different playfield layout and challenging gameplay. It can still be mean with a higher than average frequency of cruel drains, but it has a lot of fun satisfying shots (when I can make them) and the atmosphere it generates when you get things clicking is very immersive!

#294 7 years ago

If you only have ever played one on route that forks you every time it comes out of the pops, it's the worst game ever. If it goes to the left flipper like it's supposed to, it's actually a pretty fair game with respect to that feed. The outlanes are terrible no matter what. A game shouldn't have to be set up "just right" to not hose you like TWD does on the pop feed. But, again, when it feeds properly it can be an exciting challenge.

#295 7 years ago

I don't think its a bad game, but I also don't think it is as great as some make it out to be. I'd take Metallica or ST or Tron over it any day of the week. But again, not bad.

#296 7 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I don't think its a bad game, but I also don't think it is as great as some make it out to be. I'd take Metallica or ST or Tron over it any day of the week.

That got me thinking ... and honestly I'd probably take my TWDpro over all of those, as good as they are.

When I first played a TWDLE, I thought it was crap. Lifting ramp was clunky, the heads looked ludicrous, the pop drain Lane.

But I got offered a used pro at a good price just as the new code came out, so I grabbed it. Boy what a game. The pops drain Lane still heads SDTM probably 1/5th of the time so you need to keep on your toes there. But the adrenaline rush I get from playing well on this game is unlike any of my other machines.

rd

#297 7 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

If you only have ever played one on route that forks you every time it comes out of the pops, it's the worst game ever. If it goes to the left flipper like it's supposed to, it's actually a pretty fair game with respect to that feed.

Yeah - not to turn this into a TWD thread, but this may be part of Taylor's apparent frustration with the game. As a rule, being able to set up my own games the way I like them greatly increases my playing enjoyment. This is especially true with TWD as mine has really benefited from some extra tweaking.

#298 7 years ago

I know my frustration is all about the way the ball feeds out of the pop nest. I played a beautiful premium at SFGE in the tournament and it was dialed in and played great.

I am of the mind, as others have said, that if a game has to be set up perfectly to play well it has a design flaw. I've seen that on GBs
on location that feed SDTM out of the left scoop. I'm now dealing with that issue on my game and it is driving me nuts..still don't hate GB but have uses some choice words when it has happened.

#299 7 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

I know my frustration is all about the way the ball feeds out of the pop nest. I played a beautiful premium at SFGE in the tournament and it was dialed in and played great.
I am of the mind, as others have said, that if a game has to be set up perfectly to play well it has a design flaw. I've seen that on GBs
on location that feed SDTM out of the left scoop. I'm now dealing with that issue on my game and it is driving me nuts..still don't hate GB but have uses some choice words when it has happened.

Set the left scoop power low. I think mine is on 22 or 23. Delivers to the left flipper perfectly. Trying to get it to the right flipper is miserable because it won't feed that spot every time.

#300 7 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Set the left scoop power low. I think mine is on 22 or 23. Delivers to the left flipper perfectly. Trying to get it to the right flipper is miserable because it won't feed that spot every time.

The scoop on my game was not tight and I think that slop allowed for the ball to sometimes go SDTM. I've tightened it and is seems to be hitting the right flipper consistently now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Barrie, ON
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 483 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-podcast-this-flippin-podcast-taylorvatsskinne/page/6?hl=pappyfromjersey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.