Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by dirkdiggler
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSCN5448 (resized).JPG
xenon3 (resized).jpg
xenon2 (resized).jpg
xenon (resized).jpg
4B920BD0-0800-4F8C-A124-593FCA4E2C56 (resized).jpeg
20190709_174029 (resized).jpg

#1 6 months ago

So I have found myself with a Xenon needing alot of TLC. The biggest problem with it is the playfield. The previous owner had it for most of its life and it was played heavily. Given the pinballs I pulled out of the thing they had to be original. There was hardly any silver sheen left between pitting and rust.

But I digress. I am looking into playfield replacements and have come across the usual overlays but am wondering if it is worth it to fork the $800 to CPR for the new playfield altogether.

Thoughts?

20190709_174029 (resized).jpg
#2 6 months ago

Flippers and pops look good.
I don’t see a problem.

#3 6 months ago

Need more info like .....
Are you planning to keep the game or sale it?
How much did you pay for the game?
Are you capable of doing the swap or will you need to hire someone?

These come to mind first as I think knowing this helps decide if a new playfield is worth it.

If you didn't pay a lot for the game then it sure why not. Or keep it as is and continue to play the hell out of it!

#4 6 months ago

If its a game I planned on keeping and or performing a full or at least partial restoration on I would go with a CPR playfield (over an overlay as well).

#5 6 months ago

Having that game and having done a swap with a NOS PF that I had clear coated after touch-ups, I'd say yes IF you like the game. If you have the skills to swap it of course. It will take a lot time, and I replaced every light socket doing mine because Bally sockets are crap. But the investment vs having a sweet fast game to enjoy is worth it to me. If you decide to resell the game 2-5 years from now, you'll see that money back on that title easy.

#6 6 months ago

I'm assuming from my last post you didn't overpay for it to factor the PF vs future resale value.

#7 6 months ago

I didn't pay hardly anything for the machine. I bought it as broken (bridge rectifier issue) and fixed that. I don't plan on reselling it. It will be in the collection for a little while at least and then traded for another title down the line.... maybe... I picked it up as a project machine and have the skills to replace the playfield with a little time and planning. The backbox is in great shape the translite pristine.
I was more worried about the cost difference; though I understand where it comes from.

#8 6 months ago

If you don't have much into it, it's prolly cost effective to get a CPR pf and do a swap. It will help with your trade value down the line....

#9 6 months ago

Do the swap and keep it. Not worth it if your selling it.

John

#10 6 months ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Do the swap and keep it. Not worth it if your selling it.
John

Concur with John.

You say you got the machine for cheap (let’s randomly say $300 bucks) then add in the playfield and plastics at $900 and you’re at $1200 bucks.

Plus 20 hours to do all the work — replace those crappy 555 lamp sockets with 44s while you’re at it.

So, valuing your labour at nothing (like we all do) you’re probably in it for $1500.

And a Xenon with a new PF is probably going to be worth $2500 or more to the right guy these days.

That’s the way I look at it. I rarely sell them, but if I do I want to be in at least a “break even” situation.

And a new Xenon playfield is a sexy looking thing ...

rd

4B920BD0-0800-4F8C-A124-593FCA4E2C56 (resized).jpeg
#11 6 months ago

Ahhh - much better

xenon (resized).jpgxenon2 (resized).jpg
#12 6 months ago

before pic

xenon3 (resized).jpg
#13 6 months ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Plus 20 hours to do all the work — replace those crappy 555 lamp sockets with 44s while you’re at it.

Xenon has #47 sockets from factory. They still suck.

#14 6 months ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

before pic[quoted image]

#15 6 months ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Ahhh - much better

"I really don't see a difference"

- Stevie Wonder

#16 6 months ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

before pic[quoted image]

Ouch that seems familiar. Looks great now though!

This is making it hard to say no to that playfield now! (Dont tell my husband he'll kill me)

#17 6 months ago

It's worth it if making the PF swap would be a fun thing for you to do.

#18 6 months ago

NOS PF, and CPR's are just as nice.

DSCN5448 (resized).JPG
#19 6 months ago

If you are going to keep the game and love the theme go for it! Your husband will understand after he sees the fun you're going to have. Just take a ton of pics.

#20 6 months ago

I don't know after looking at pics of your playfield. The boobs are still visible above her head

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
4,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Sebring, FL
2,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Camp Hill, PA
$ 149.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Naperville, IL

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside