8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by shirkle
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

starrollovers_(resized).jpg
    #1 8 years ago

Have a new playfield I am getting ready for swap. The star inserts in the playfield ....where the rollover targets go ....seems like you have to cut out the center of the new inserts ..? where the points meet.

Is that right? Also what's the easiest tool to do that with....exacto knife, small jigsaw blade used by hand, or small file ? ...open to ideas.

starrollovers_(resized).jpgstarrollovers_(resized).jpg

#2 8 years ago

use and exacto and scrape the inside of each star point of the insert. work towards the outside. then just push it in

#3 8 years ago

but that little circular piece gets cut out...right ?

#4 8 years ago

never mind, I see now, it goes in from the top... never done this before

#5 8 years ago

Definitely do NOT cut out that little circular piece. And make sure the star will not bind BEFORE you install the star. Or you will have to cut it off and ruin it to get it out or you will damage the insert.

#6 8 years ago

If it's been clear coated, I've found the best method is to raise the playfield and then cut a strip of fine sandpaper(maybe 1/4"-1/2" wide, and the length of the sheet of sandpaper), fold it so both sides have sand paper, then put it through the star. Grab it from both sides of the playfield and gently sand back and forth through the star, like a couple of lumberjacks cutting a log.
    Test it repeatedly by putting the star into it upside down. I ruined about 3 or 4 stars doing the 10 rollovers on Strikes & Spares. They have to be perfect and sometimes you don't know until you've put them in...at which point it's too late to remove them without cutting the knib off and ruining them.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-playfield-star-inserts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.