Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 59 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by jonesjb
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mattmarr.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from Hougie:

1. Flipper Skills
    2. Nudging
    3. Master important shots
    ^In that order. The first two far outweigh the third because "where the shots are" varies examples of the same game.
    As others have mentioned focus on dead flipper passing. Try playing onenhanded. That's probably the quickest way to master dead passes.
    When the ball is going for the slings give the game a nudge forward (toward the back) that will get the ball up away from the outlanes.
    I have two degrees in music performance and I still don't love repetition that comes with mastering a skill, I'm too freaking impatient. Firing up a game and only shooting a difficult shot or a specific flipper skill will pay off when you have practiced it enough. I try to dissect the game into manageable chunks and master one thing at a time.
    LOTR is quite a game with several things to master. Can you hit the ring on command from both flippers? The Ring, Legolas, and the Aragorn ramps are where I would focus if you haven't mastered those yet.

There are some great tips in this thread and the three shot that Hougie mentioned are very important in LOTR. Just to piggyback on that, I would also watch videos to see what not to shoot for. That is, certain shots aren't worth the risk and certain shots are better with a less obvious approach, like a backhand or only from a trapped ball. In LOTR, I've found that backhanding the Aragon ramp (or Gimli hole) is a relatively safe shot that is consistently hittable, whereas going at it directly from the left flipper can be a dangerous shot (Palantir!). Also remember, these machines aren't made out of fine china, don't be afraid to push them around a bit. You get tilt warnings for a reason.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mattmarr.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-player-how-do-i-improve?tu=mattmarr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.