You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20170706_121055.jpg
IMG_20170706_121134.jpg
IMG_20170706_121101.jpg
#1 6 years ago

Bought a new plastic set for my DM a few weeks ago, finally got to the point of installing them. Started to peel the protective coating off the first one, and half the paint started coming up with it .

IMG_20170706_121101.jpgIMG_20170706_121101.jpg

Immediately stopped and went to investigate the others. I tried the keychain included, and it was even worse.

IMG_20170706_121055.jpgIMG_20170706_121055.jpg

Looking further, I noted that many of the plastics didn't even have a protective coating on the backs, and instead were just wrapped in saran wrap? I carefully peeled the wrap off one, and although none of the paint came off, there's a noticeable pattern from where it began to adhere to the underside, and you can see some of the white bottom layer of the paint coming off with the wrap

IMG_20170706_121134.jpgIMG_20170706_121134.jpg

Am I doing something wrong here? I've never bought a plastic set before, but Ive never heard of needing to do anything besides carefully taking the backing off, and the saran wrap just seems ridiculous.

#2 6 years ago

I'll bet they were stored in a hot garage or storage unit. Were these from a retail shop or an individual? If retail, send them back with pics and ask for a refund. You shouldn't see that with your plastics. The protective plastic can be difficult to remove but sometimes warm water can help. You can try that but your case is not the norm.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

I'll bet they were stored in a hot garage or storage unit. Were these from a retail shop or an individual? If retail, send them back with pics and ask for a refund. You shouldn't see that with your plastics. The protective plastic can be difficult to remove but sometimes warm water can help. You can try that but your case is not the norm.

Retail shop. They were stored with the rest of my DM parts in one of my pin rooms. If an 80 year old game isn't getting damaged by the conditions after years then I don't think some brand new plastics should be...

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Retail shop. They were stored with the rest of my DM parts in one of my pin rooms. If an 80 year old game isn't getting damaged by the conditions after years then I don't think some brand new plastics should be...

I agree that they "shouldn't be" but what do you think would have caused that otherwise? I'm saying that they probably were stored in heat at the shop not in your game room. Good luck in your quest for answers..

#5 6 years ago

There was a thread here about pps and a bad batch of plastics. They had people sending them back. Don't remember the game though.

#6 6 years ago

That's just brutal! I've purchased many new plastic sets and never seen anything like this. Return them and if you get any grief from them post who it is here so the roast can begin!

#7 6 years ago

Had it happen to me on some new Diner plastics recently.
It started on one, then another. Slow and easy peel wasnt working.
Only thing i could think of was ice water bath in large bowl of water.
It kinda worked. Wasnt 100%, but it really helped. Ended up leaving backing on one at about a square inch. Was my only problem child, large grill plastic on left side.
I will say, if retail return, but most always we all are guilty of waiting more than 30 days to put a part on. If time has passed....well, try ice water soak about 10 minutes.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Had it happen to me on some new Diner plastics recently.
It started on one, then another. Slow and easy peel wasnt working.
Only thing i could think of was ice water bath in large bowl of water.
It kinda worked. Wasnt 100%, but it really helped. Ended up leaving backing on one at about a square inch. Was my only problem child, large grill plastic on left side.
I will say, if retail return, but most always we all are guilty of waiting more than 30 days to put a part on. If time has passed....well, try ice water soak about 10 minutes.

Definitely more than 30 days....Bought them first thing when I got the game and have been trying to get all the other needed parts together to actually put it together

#9 6 years ago

Im sorry but just having them sit for 30 days is no excuse for this ...period.

#10 6 years ago

Ugh, guess I'd better check the set of DM plastics I ordered a while back. I never thought that this would be an issue.

1 week later
#11 6 years ago

Contacted the seller, sent back my set and they're sending me another.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Contacted the seller, sent back my set and they're sending me another.

There you go. Seems like the only reasonable solution to that deal.

#13 6 years ago

I just checked my set. Only the clear plastics have backing paper. The plastics with artwork do not have backing paper--just the film on the top.

*whew*

#14 6 years ago

I peel the protective paper off as soon as I get them whether I am ready to use them or not for this very reason.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I peel the protective paper off as soon as I get them whether I am ready to use them or not for this very reason.

I will be in the future, though it makes me a bit mad. That's what it's there for!

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

That's what it's there for!

Yep--I've peeled some off of NOS plastics before, and they were fine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 81.95
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 85.00
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 72.95
$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-plastic-protective-coating-peeling-paint and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.