(Topic ID: 149909)

New Pinside Moderator(s) wanted! (Outside of North America)

By pmWolf

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by beelzeboob
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

forceflow_(resized).jpg
    pasted_image_(resized).png
    There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

Hello Pinside…

We are looking for a new moderator that is located outside of North America (Europe, Australia/New Zealand, etc) in order to help us out in different time zones.

-Have you been a Pinside member for at least a year?
    -Do you have a clean track record for being a nice, calm, levelheaded guy or girl with common sense?
    -Are you honest, fair, precise and do you always try to treat everyone respectfully?
    -Are you considerate, knowledgeable, and handy with your web browser?
    -Do you have good grammar, spelling and syntax skills?
    -Do you have the right personality?
    -Can you take some verbal abuse?
    -Are you even tempered, likable, and fair minded?
    -Do you have the time to commit to being a moderator?
    -DO YOU LOVE PINBALL?

If you answered “Yes” to these questions, send me a PM, and tell me a little something about yourself, where you are located (time zone), and why you think you would make a great addition to the Pinside moderation team.

All applications will be treated as fully confidential but your application may be read by Robin, or one of the moderators other than me.

Some things to note:
    - This is not going to be an immediate process, and you may not get a response.
    - You may not be chosen, even if you think you are awesome. (And, you may actually be awesome…and we will still appreciate your contributions to the site in a non-moderator role).
    - The focus is on adding a mod from outside of North America. Right now, we’ve got one mod from Australia who is stuck working the night shift on his own. That makes us all sad inside. We have not ruled out another USA mod, though, but that is not our priority at this moment.
    - If you apply, chances are good that one of us will go through your internet posting history at a near stalker-ish level.
    - Free beer is promised, but I've been a moderator for a while, and have yet to receive any. I'm thinking it's a scam.
    - Do you like doing lots of work for free, and then have people mad at you all the time no matter what decisions you make? Perfect. Apply now.

Please don't post your application/candidacy in this forum topic. Only via PM please.

Pete

#2 8 years ago

Bump for those of you just waking up.

#3 8 years ago

Outside of North America? Does another planet count? It actually sounds like work though...

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Does another planet count?

Applying to become a moderator for a pinball forum does seem like something only a space invader would do. The background check might be problematic, though.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Outside of North America? Does another planet count? It actually sounds like work though...

Yes, other planets count...as long as they aren't in North America.

Quoted from Barron:

Applying to become a moderator for a pinball forum does seem like something only a space invader would do. The background check might be problematic, though.

It's not too bad. I mean, I got in.

Pete

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

Do you like doing lots of work for free, and then have people mad at you all the time no matter what decisions you make? Perfect. Apply now.

Long hours, no pay, and people hate you. What a selling feature. "Act now and we'll include a free TSA-style screening where we laugh and point at you!!"*

*Screening not guaranteed. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Your mileage may vary. Consult your doctor before beginning any moderator job. Side effects include smartassiness, lost sleep, nervous ticks, arguments about Star Wars, geekiness, and pinballitis.

#7 8 years ago

What's with this prejudice against North Americans?

I qualified for all your criteria except that one.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

I think they want somebody that is up in the wee hours of the morning our time. Some of us might qualify for that.

#9 8 years ago

Just updated my location.

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I think they want somebody that is up in the wee hours of the morning our time. Some of us might qualify for that.

Very little happens on the forums between 2am and 8am eastern time

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

- Do you like doing lots of work for free, and then have people mad at you all the time no matter what decisions you make? Perfect. Apply now.

pasted_image_(resized).pngpasted_image_(resized).png

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Help me out here...what was the one criteria that you qualified for?

Oh...wait. I misread that.

Whoops.

#13 8 years ago

It's hard to bounce a mod decision off anyone else when you're the only mod awake. With our one mod living in the future, he misses out on all the mod discussion that happens during our day, and has nobody else to double check with on anything that does happen on his shift. Or there's no coverage at all if he's busy. The majority of us are Eastern US time zone and can at least alert another mod if something's up and needs to be looked at, so we just want the same for him so he's not constantly stuck talking to himself.

Not to say that we won't add another US mod, as Pete says above, but it's hard to leave 12 hours in the hands of one person on a regular basis. And honestly, he does quite a bit of work because some of you people are up all night.

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

Whoops.

The main one was treating people with respect, I knock that shit out the park daily.

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

Whoops.

awards sexy bonus time freely and often

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from jayhawkai:

Just updated my location.

I tried to update mine to Uranus, but apparently pinside doesn't recognize that location.

#18 8 years ago

Does Ethiopia count?

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

-Do you have the right personality?
    -Can you take some verbal abuse?
    -Are you even tempered, likable, and fair minded?

Hmmmm................ Might not be for me.

#20 8 years ago

i think there is a guy by the name of Kylo Ben in Europe

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from iwantansi:

Does Ethiopia count?

Did you have lunch yet?

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Did you have lunch yet?

No, I have to pay for internet.

#23 8 years ago

Hey, Pete - I think you guys are seriously missing the boat here. The clue to your next mod is in post #10. ForceFlow knows everything about this forum. He's on constantly, catches dupe threads all the time, is a calming voice of reason when things hit the shitter, etc. etc. Add to that the fact that (as far as I can tell), he's liked and respected by just about everybody on Pinside...and I've met him and he's one of the nicest guys I've ever met.

Whether you get another mod in a different time zone or not, I think Robin should consider offering ForceFlow a moderator position. I, for one, would be honored to have my ass kicked off this forum by him.

#24 8 years ago

Watch out beezelboob, he's already following you around. But he is a good choice. I for one would like to see what happens when he takes off those glasses and puts on the cape.

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Hey, Pete - I think you guys are seriously missing the boat here. The clue to your next mod is in post #10. ForceFlow knows everything about this forum. He's on constantly, catches dupe threads all the time, is a calming voice of reason when things hit the shitter, etc. etc. Add to that the fact that (as far as I can tell), he's liked and respected by just about everybody on Pinside...and I've met him and he's one of the nicest guys I've ever met.
    Whether you get another mod in a different time zone or not, I think Robin should consider offering ForceFlow a moderator position. I, for one, would be honored to have my ass kicked off this forum by him.

Thank you for the kind words and encouraging thoughts Beelze, I really appreciate it

#26 8 years ago

Please only apply if you are a sexy beast. That is a criteria based on all of the mods I know. sExy bald beasts with heads just asking to be rubbed down with oil...

Speaking of, Badbilly would be a great mod!

He likes watching and ocassionally commenting but is cool with no touching.

#27 8 years ago

When he makes moderator here's forceflow's new avatar.

forceflow_(resized).jpgforceflow_(resized).jpg

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Add to that the fact that (as far as I can tell), he's liked and respected by just about everybody on Pinsid

That will quickly change if he becomes a Mod.

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

That will quickly change if he becomes a Mod.

Yeah...but only douchebags will hold his moderations against him. I've never had issues with moderation (with the exception of one time and one moderator), and I know that the mods do what they really think is best for the forum. Most of the long timers and heavy posters know this. The people who have nasty negative attitudes are going to hate anything that doesn't go their way, and take it out on the person who "controlled" them.

I'm pretty sure ForceFlow understands this and wouldn't let it bother him. If it did, he could always PM me and I'd smack some sense into him.

Make it happen, Robin!

#30 8 years ago

I don't qualify. And .. the last months, too damn busy to step up.

But I will say "Thank you" to all of you who do wear the moderator hat.

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

and I know that the mods do what they really think is best for the forum.

Not true. I only eject when someone bribes me.

(PM me for my paypal address, and put in the title who you'd like ejected from a thread).

I mean, how do you think I can afford the collection that I have??

Quoted from beelzeboob:

I'm pretty sure ForceFlow understands this and wouldn't let it bother him.

You know, I used to like ForceFlow. Now that I see that you're backing him...that's all changed. It's like the kiss of death.

(sigh)

#32 8 years ago

Deadline for applications is this Friday, the 29th.

I'll be going through the stack soon.

Pete

#33 8 years ago

applied 4 times now and still no reply... odd

#34 8 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

You know, I used to like ForceFlow. Now that I see that you're backing him...that's all changed. It's like the kiss of death.
    (sigh)

So why are you still alive? I've backed you lots of times!

#35 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

applied 4 times now and still no reply... odd

Well, the main problem is that you're so awesome that you'd make the rest of us look bad.

So, the answer is "no."

My condolences.

Pete

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

Well, the main problem is that you're so awesome that you'd make the rest of us look bad.
    So, the answer is "no."
    My condolences.
    Pete

LOL

That is cool, first thing I was gonna do as Mod was make a 'titties and pinball only' thread in the basement and then start by linking in all the pictures that used be shared back in the earlier times of pinside by what are the now mods

My tenure would have been short... but it would have been spectaculor.

#37 8 years ago

Well I am going to be in Afghanistan for a year, talk about a crazy time zone. I fit pretty much that whole criteria, but I would eject anyone who had a terrorist avatar. My freedom of speech/1st amendment views are biased when it comes to that.

#39 8 years ago

My pick would be Vid, and he is currently living in the capitol of Yemen

#40 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

My pick would be Vid, and he is currently living in the capitol of Yemen

Vid does not understand maps.

#41 8 years ago

ForceFlow does.

#42 8 years ago

I live in a moonbase. I have no need of terrestrial maps here.

#43 8 years ago

I live in Afghanistan 6 months out of the year........
    I tried to PM you PMWolf but I'm unable. Seems today is the deadline and it's bed time here for a long day tomorrow. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk more.

#44 8 years ago

beelz! You live in the state of Confusion.

#45 8 years ago

So, Kaneda declined the offer?

#46 8 years ago

Kaneda is now a member of the New York Home For The Bewildered.

#47 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Very little happens on the forums between 2am and 8am eastern time

This used to be true, but now in that time slot 20% of our members are online (120+ pax). We have a growing Australasian following, Mostly Australia and New Zealand.

Just now (4am for most US members ) - we have 145 members and 128 guest on our site.

#48 8 years ago

you guys really need better locks on the gate to keep us out :p

#49 8 years ago
    Quoted from Chrisbee:

Just now (4am for most US members ) - we have 145 members and 128 guest on our site.

Well duh - Aussie Open championship is about to start!

#50 8 years ago
    Quoted from Chrisbee:

This used to be true, but now in that time slot 20% of our members are online (120+ pax). We have a growing Australasian following, Mostly Australia and New Zealand.

I was mainly basing my observations on posting activity. Didn't realise there were that many folks actively online. Impressive.

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinside-moderators-wanted-outside-of-north-america and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.