5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by LTG
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tigerlaw.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 5 years ago

I had a post similar to this one that led me to Sorcerer nearly six years ago. Having a game professionally restored is a great way to help ensure the 80’s game is reliable.

Both the Sorcerer and Quicksilver you play were restored by a gentlemen in Dallas by the name of Keith Holbrook and his work (as you can see) is superb and he is priced very reasonably.

Some of the games I would consider from the 80’s:

Gorgar, Flash Gordon (warning that game is harder than fossilized dinasour droppings), Dragonfist, eight ball delux (I know of a nice restored one in Louisiana that may one day be for sale), Centaur, Viking, and even a Genie (with the new roms).

Getting a NIB game is also an incredible expierence. While many games require some switch adjustments and other tweaking initially out the box to get them dialed in, a new Stern game will generally be reliable for a long time. Also, the code on modern games is super deep compared to the 80’s and in a single game collection that may be more desirable for you.

I personally like short ball time games (like Iron Man) as opposed to marathon games where the ball times are really long (like Lord of the Rings). Most early 80’s games have short ball times because there are no ramps safely returning the ball to your flipper...so the ball stays in jeopardy. That said, many people prefer the “flow” of modern games where one shot seemlessly rolls into the next (assuming you make your shots) like on Star Trek.

The best advice I can give is for someone to play a bunch of games and rate them and identify what they like about each game. This will help you nail down what you really want. I did this and was surprised to learn that a game’s theme didn’t matter as much to me as I thought it did.

#5 5 years ago

Yep, the Houston Arcade Expo is an amazing party. Book your hotel room quick before the event hotel fills up: http://www.arcadecenter.com

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tigerlaw.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinside-member-looking-for-suggestions?tu=tigerlaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.