• Simpsons 13 votes
    39%
  • Baywatch 20 votes
    61%

(33 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1433770886765478658284.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sevenrites.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 8 years ago

Geeze, if you can get that Simpsons for under $1000, I doubt you'd be disappointed with it. I like Data East pinballs. Lots of people want to hate on them. The Simpsons Pinball Party is probably way cooler, but it's also way more expensive. Any 90's Data East for under $1000 is a good deal I think.

#11 8 years ago

I'm not sure either, but OP mentioned a budget around $1000 and he was looking at a Baywatch and Simpsons and considering either one, so I assumed the price he was given was that good on both of them. Some deals still happen. I saw a Simpsons Pinball Party sell 5 minutes before I got to it for $1500 a few weeks ago. I was actually first with email, but my phone call was second. :-/

#16 8 years ago

I'm still wanting a Data East Simpsons... It's a must have for me at some point, even if I don't make it a keeper forever.

#24 8 years ago

If you just sit and wait patiently and check your local Craigslist fairly often, you will definitely see a good variety of games in various conditions. Then if you're unsure, just consult here or IPDB for ratings and reviews, look over the rules and play field layout to see if you like it.

When you decide you want to try and buy one, here's what I generally try to look for.

To me, the most important thing is a good play field, preferably with no wear at all, with no raised or chipped inserts. This is all very difficult to fix unless you're skilled at that type of thing. And it can get costly to have it done. Also check all the mechanics, make sure all bumpers, switches, & etc. work. Run the tests in the game or just take the glass off and hit everything with your finger or drop the ball where it needs to go and make sure everything works. You'll want to get to know how much parts cost for the games you're planning on buying and how difficult they are to get, preferably before you go to test the game.

Next for me is cabinet. I don't want one all beat up, you can get decal kits for some games, and stencil kits for others, but a beat up cabinet to me is a few hundred to fix. Inspect all of the plastics. You may or may not find cracks or chips. Look at the back glass - if it's painted, is it holding up or flaking?

So if you know about what everything will cost to fix a game and bring it back to the high average retail price that game is getting, then you can try and negotiate with the seller a little bit better.

I just bought a $900 game for $300. The seller thought I was getting a great deal, but guess what - $300 back glass nowhere to be found, had to settle for a $200 remake. It needed board work. That was $200. It needed 2 score displays. Another $80. So now I'm into it for $780. Then I spent $100 on LED's and $20 on rubber. So now I'm into it for the $900 it would sell for in good condition. And I explained all the things I would need to do with my estimated costs to purchase the materials to the seller so they knew I wasn't just trying to hustle them. Time - plan on countless hours, because you'll love fine tuning and enhancing your machine. I don't do it for profit, I do it for the love of the game and so I can add them to my collection. But if I can come out ahead when I finally decide I want to sell any of my games, it will help me grow my collection and continue to do what I love a bit easier.

Being that you have engineering, soldering and schematic skills is a huge plus as you'll be able to fix virtually everything on your own. If you don't know the answer, you can usually find it here. I'm excited for you, good luck with your search and let us know what you end up with!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 33.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 259.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
$ 12.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 24.00
Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton, FL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 15.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sevenrites.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinside-buying-first-pin?tu=sevenrites and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.