• Latest reply 6 years ago by Pinballlew
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

c6dcde1f1bad5eba6739a8dcbbb9ca43b31d0956 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Hardly ever play the newer games....but I took the family to Daffodil Bowl in Puyallup, WA and saw Indiana Jones circa 2008. Now I love the early and slightly later solid state games, feel the EM's are fun when there's targets and they're tuned well, but I did not like the crowded playfield of IJ. I could barely follow the ball and using the flippers was more about survival than skill.

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from daveyb98126:

Hardly ever play the newer games.... I could barely follow the ball and using the flippers was more about survival than skill.

I certainly enjoy the challenges presented by EM games, but there's plenty of skill required in newer games as well.

The more you play them, the less confusing they will get. Your gameplay skills and enjoyment will increase as well.

#3 6 years ago

For me part of the appeal is knowing that the games I have were out there in real arcades... in some dark fantasyland of lights and sound. New games which are almost exclsuively bought and used for HUO lack that authenticity. Although I must confess that the technology improvments are great.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from OHMI_Arcade:

For me part of the appeal is knowing that the games I have were out there in real arcades... in some dark fantasyland of lights and sound. New games which are almost exclsuively bought and used for HUO lack that authenticity.

I'm not identifying with this as I've played every game in my current collection on route in barcades before I ever purchased them for home use.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I'm not identifying with this as I've played every game in my current collection on route in barcades before I ever purchased them for home use.

Yes... there are still some on route but nothing like the big arcades of the past... at least darn few. I may be wrong but I think the majority of pin customers these days are individuals as opposed to operators.

#6 6 years ago

All pinball is fun. But I feel the newest games lack "soul". I'm not saying they are bad. But they seem more uninspired and cookie cutter than ever before. As opposed to feeling like something magical is happening under the glass.

#7 6 years ago

Pinball is kind of like Pizza, even when it's bad it's still pretty good! I like all eras of Pinball.

#8 6 years ago

TWD = Magic

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Pinball is kind of like Pizza, even when it's bad it's still pretty good! I like all eras of Pinball.

I don't disagree... I just love the history of pinball and the newer stuff if just too new for me. Like driving a 2017camaro as opposed to a 1960's camaro... both are great but I get much more excited for the 1960's version.

#10 6 years ago

I've been playing since the the 70's so that's my reference but there's great games in all eras. I love Abra Ca Dababra, Fireball, Centaur, Fathom, Whitewater, Ghostbusters. and Dialed In. This is not a good time to be closed minded about pinball.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from OHMI_Arcade:

I don't disagree... I just love the history of pinball and the newer stuff if just too new for me. Like driving a 2017camaro as opposed to a 1960's camaro... both are great but I get much more excited for the 1960's version.

I understand that. I have TWD, GOT, GB, AS, and a Super nice Jack Bot lined up on one wall and I have a couple of friends who ignore them and walk over and play an old Supersonic that I have. They like it because of its simplicity. They don't understand the rules of the new ones and they don't want to learn. They say the new games have too much going on and it's confusing.

#12 6 years ago

I thought I was the only one who felt this way. New pinballs have such crowded playfields with all the ramps and toys and gadgets that you can barely tell where the ball is half the time. I never liked modern pinball because of this, and because of the fact they were too damned hard to figure out, and that there was so much going on in the DMD, which you have to move your eyes off of the playfield to see it.

However, I DID buy a Spider-Man Home machine and I love it. It lacks they toys and gadgets, just one Doc Ock figure and 2 ramps. It's really a blast to play, and it only took me a few days to figure out. The only thing I don't like is the metal stops at the end of the plastic ramps. They block view of the "E" and "R" HERO lights and usually by the time I can tell whether or not they are lit, it's too late. I wish they had put a window in those stoppers.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from chippe01:

I thought I was the only one who felt this way. New pinballs have such crowded playfields with all the ramps and toys and gadgets that you can barely tell where the ball is half the time. I never liked modern pinball because of this, and because of the fact they were too damned hard to figure out, and that there was so much going on in the DMD, which you have to move your eyes off of the playfield to see it.
However, I DID buy a Spider-Man Home machine and I love it. It lacks they toys and gadgets, just one Doc Ock figure and 2 ramps. It's really a blast to play, and it only took me a few days to figure out. The only thing I don't like is the metal stops at the end of the plastic ramps. They block view of the "E" and "R" HERO lights and usually by the time I can tell whether or not they are lit, it's too late. I wish they had put a window in those stoppers.

Spidey is not a good pin to point to as a game that's different than "crowded" modern pinballs. It's pretty packed with toys, ramps, and gadgets. Doc Ock magnet. Doc Ock VUK. Sandman 3 bank motorized target. Sandman VUK. Two ramps. Third flipper. Green goblin standup bank. Definitely toward the crowded-gadgety side. A great pin, though.

If you want fast and bare, you want Iron Man. Maybe Star Wars too - it's one of the most bare recent pin playfields.

#14 6 years ago

He's talking about the home edition.

c6dcde1f1bad5eba6739a8dcbbb9ca43b31d0956 (resized).jpgc6dcde1f1bad5eba6739a8dcbbb9ca43b31d0956 (resized).jpg

#15 6 years ago

Different strokes for different folks. Ive owned MM and TZ and they are gone and now have AC/DC, GB, LOTR and Stern ST. I love the newer game play, rulesets and lighting/toys. I find they are fast and furious and keep me wanting to play more, but Ill always play a great older pin, but probably will not buy one again with the limited space I have...

#16 6 years ago

I love them no matter when they were made. Sure, there are games I don't like. Not because of the era it was made, but because of the game. I have modern Stern games, classic Stern, Bally, 90's, EMs, all awesome. They all scratch a different itch.

#17 6 years ago

Modern game with an open playfield - Give World Poker Tour a try. A seemingly easy game that you will never master.

#18 6 years ago

I enjoyed Aerosmith and Ghostbusters for newer games, but that doesn't mean I hate the old machines....

#19 6 years ago

You should try Batman 66. Its new but feels old-school. Big open playfield.

#20 6 years ago

I've owned quite a few of the newer games, and I have to say the fun didn't last very long and neither did they.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I understand that. I have TWD, GOT, GB, AS, and a Super nice Jack Bot lined up on one wall and I have a couple of friends who ignore them and walk over and play an old Supersonic that I have. They like it because of its simplicity. They don't understand the rules of the new ones and they don't want to learn. They say the new games have too much going on and it's confusing.

That's sounds just like my father and a couple others I know when they're over to play.

#22 6 years ago

daveyb98126 Maybe "Total Nuclear Annihilation" will be more to your taste when it is available?

#23 6 years ago

Based on the replies, I am not alone. And I totally agree that any pinball is better than none. I've been playing since 1974 and have seen everything except the wooden rails. The progression of pins and the accompanying technology is impressive. The fun in playing for me resides in the duration of a game. When I went to the Tacoma Pinball and Arcade Show, I experienced a range of games from the 1960' to present.

And I would be interested in trying TNA....thanks c508 ☺

#24 6 years ago

Every new game has an adjustment period. Once you play it for a while you can anticipate the ball a bit as I have trouble seeing it too. Also DMDs are getting harder to read as there's a lot more information. To really figure a game out, it helps to play with someone else and you can relay DMD information out to each other until you figure the game out. I'm personally having a harder time with the new LCD displays as there's so much on the screen and I can't read it well (I can't play pinball with my glasses on as it screws with my depth perception). I also don't have anyone to play with to relay that information. I had no idea what was going on in Star Wars the other day.

I always thought the effort of trying to figure a new game out and then capitalizing on that effort with a good score was a fun part of pinball. If you don't, there's nothing wrong with that.

What I'd hate to see is what seems to be known as Old-Person-Brick-Wall-Computer-Syndrome. I just coined that term myself by the way. I used to see it a lot when computers were becoming the standard and people would instantly shut down when trying to explain anything to them with the "I'm not a computer person" brick wall defense. He'll, I still see it a lot. Instead of just expending a little effort, people would rather just shut down, I guess in an effort to not look stupid? Like that old math study that showed people would just quickly blurt out a 50% answer to a math question instead of taking their time to figure it out in an effort to not look "stupid."

What I'm saying is that if you REALLY have taken the time with some newer games, or maybe just one specific game, and mastered it and then you said "new games aren't fun," ok then, you tried. Buy just don't be an Old-Person-Brick-Wall-Computer-Syndrome person. If I decided that LCDs were too hard to read and quit playing newer pinball, I think I'd be missing out on a lot.

#25 6 years ago

I remember playing Medieval Madness for the first time when it came out. I thought it was the fastest game I'd ever seen. Now it seems slow by comparison to some of what's come since.

You adapt or get left behind. Fortunately the changes are incremental for the most part.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You adapt or get left behind.

Technology in a nutshell right there.

#27 6 years ago

Get off my lawn.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from erak:

All pinball is fun. But I feel the newest games lack "soul". I'm not saying they are bad. But they seem more uninspired and cookie cutter than ever before. As opposed to feeling like something magical is happening under the glass.

Could not agree more. I'll play Roadshow all day before Kiss from Stern.

I will admit that I felt Stern started getting it back on track with Ghostbusters. I don't feel it has the level of soul as a game like TZ or TAF.

Less profit and more soul, Stern. Not $oul...soul.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Less profit and more soul, Stern. Not $oul...soul.

So that means Stern's next music pin is James Brown, right??

#30 6 years ago

There are some fantastic older games, including EM games, and some really great new ones. Very few pinballs I don't like, they are all mostly good in their own way o ce you learn how to play them. From a value perspective, older games tend to offer more value, but also more maintenance.

Iove my volley, MMR, tspp, twd and hobbit, great games from all eras.

#31 6 years ago

IJ 2008 is not exactly a great example of a modern game, keep in mind. Try something newer like batman 66, Aerosmith, hobbit, etc

#32 6 years ago

If everyone thought the same things were fun, it would all cease to be fun.

---
Host of Summarizing Proust competition: And Harry, what are your hobbies outside summarizing?

Harry: Well, strangling animals, golf and masturbating.

Host: Well, thank you Harry Bagot.

Commentator: Well there he goes. Harry Bagot. He must have let himself down a bit on the hobbies, golf's not very popular around here, but never mind, a good try.
---

#33 6 years ago

I'm sorry you feel this way. how miserable.

Most of my pins are recent and they are such a blast.
My problem I like them so much I dont know if I can sell anything to get something new.

#34 6 years ago

Were big EM fans but a fun pin is a fun pin EM or SS.

We tried several newer pins at Pinfest- Thought the 2008 Star Trek was no big shakes (had a nice light show though) Ghostbusters was ok and The Walking Dead was excellent.

There might be a Walking Dead pin in our future as both my wife and I loved it.

#35 6 years ago

TNA is the best "new old" pin we have going these days. (Besides WNBJM of course.)
Scott did a fantastic job with the layout and even though it's already fast as hell in the whitewood state, it still feels like a classic Bally on top where it counts. Plus, it has all that slick new tech hiding underneath to give the DMD/LCD lovin' crowd their 2017 ya-ya's too.
You won't be disappointed playing that one Davey.
I'd go as far to bet that even the mIgHtY Ooooo-Din will like it!

#36 6 years ago

O-din's been a fan of TNA most of his life and looks forward to playing that game.

#37 6 years ago

Well if you ask me, a lot of the new pins are super fun. They seem to spark the magic that was lost for a bit. I am a fan of all pinball but if you ask me these are exciting times for the opposite reason that the title of this thread suggests. New pins are way fun and are reviving the industry! Old pins are fun as well! These are great times for pinball, great times indeed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Plainfield, IL
$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 38.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pins-not-fun and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.