• 16 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 23 days ago by pincoder
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 28 days ago

Hi Everyone,

While I'm still developing my ideal pinball troubleshooting board for your Williams system 3 through 7 pinball machines, I have come up with an intermediate solution for those who need to get their machines up and running today.

It's called the Pincoder Adapter, it comes preloaded with the Pincoder diagnostic software, and is ready to go out of the box. You do not need a chip programmer or any chips to use it.

You can find out more and also purchase the adapter here:

https://pincoder.ca/index.php/2020/07/10/adapter-2020-06-23-0506/

Of course, if you have questions you can certainly ask them here and I'll be happy to answer.

Thanks and happy repairs!

#2 28 days ago

Any plans to produce these for use in early Gottlieb system80's?

#4 28 days ago

This is great .....cant wait to try it out.

#5 28 days ago

What exactly does it diagnose? Things like blown transistors, solenoids, open switches?

#6 28 days ago
Quoted from seshpilot:

What exactly does it diagnose? Things like blown transistors, solenoids, open switches?

Yes, much in the same way as the Leon Na d Andre ROMs.

The software on this adapter also verifies all functions of the CPU, RAM, 5101, LEDs, displays, etc. The RAM and 5101 tests verify every single address available in the respective chips, and with multiple bit combinations. The Williams built-in code has been known to produce false positives because it only tests chips on a few addresses to see if it responds.

There is even a switch bounce test that allows you to find switches that produce more than one pulse (typically due to dirty or worn contacts). Completing this test is good for ensuring accurate scoring.

This adapter will also allow you to test the signals going to the sound card, but not the sound card itself. Since the sound card has it's own CPU, a new test needs to be written such that this adapter could also be placed into the appropriate socket of the sound card. A future version of Pincoder software will contain code compatible with this adapter to run those types of tests.

Also, If you have a chip programmer that can write to an ST39SF040 chip you can fill the unused portions of the EEPROM on this adapter with any image you like, include the Andre and Leon test ROMs.

#7 28 days ago
Quoted from RWH:

Any plans to produce these for use in early Gottlieb system80's?

Yes. I've been buying project machines and writing tests as I repair them. When the opportunity comes up for other games I'll build support into the pincoder software. If they use the 2726 or 2532 chip, you'll be able to use this adapter on those games.

Behind the scenes, I've created a development environment for myself that allows me to create ROM images for other games using existing code (for the most part) so including future games should be faster.

#9 28 days ago
Quoted from Stretch7:

This is great .....cant wait to try it out.

You're not too far from me at all! Send me and email with your shipping address and I can get one out to you today

#10 27 days ago
Quoted from pincoder:

Hi Everyone,
While I'm still developing my ideal pinball troubleshooting board for your Williams system 3 through 7 pinball machines, I have come up with an intermediate solution for those who need to get their machines up and running today.
It's called the Pincoder Adapter, it comes preloaded with the Pincoder diagnostic software, and is ready to go out of the box. You do not need a chip programmer or any chips to use it.
You can find out more about the adapter here:
At the moment, online purchase is not available, however see the link above to find how how you can obtain one.
Of course, if you have questions you can certainly ask them here and I'll be happy to answer.
Thanks and happy repairs!

I can't wait to try this out!

#11 27 days ago

Good News! Online purchase now available everywhere (click and scroll down to "HOW TO GET ONE" here):

Thanks again for your support!

#14 24 days ago

Got mine today too but havn’t had a chance to try it yet.

#15 24 days ago
Quoted from pincoder:

Excellent! How do you like it?

I haven't had much time to try it out. I threw it in a sys 7 board, moved the jumpers, set it up for LEDs1a and it worked perfect first try!

#16 23 days ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

I haven't had much time to try it out. I threw it in a sys 7 board, moved the jumpers, set it up for LEDs1a and it worked perfect first try!

Awesome! Good to hear!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Renaissance, FLORIDA

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside