GIC_PinbotTopperPanel (resized).jpg
FoilTape (resized).jpg
DuctTape (resized).jpg
Bulbs (resized).jpg
strip (resized).jpg
Antenna (resized).jpg
AntennaClearance (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

My pinbot project was missing the topper, but I found the harness inside. Not wanting to just have a bunch of plain flashing bulbs, I tried to think of what else to do using the original harness concept to keep things simple... but a little more fitting for the game.

I mean, I get that Pinbot's original topper is kind of a classic in that it gets your attention, is interactive with the game, and the day-glo UV Pink is totally 80's... but then the topper itself really looks like an afterthought. It doesn't fit!

So in considering the art of the game, I thought about the "top of the Pinbot character's head", and his distinctive antennae: a trait that Python made prominent in all art featuring this character. THAT should have been the topper.

Further, I considered how the "Blue and Red split" is another defining characteristic. Folks have gone so far as to color-match the displays, and I repainted my vortex shoulder ramp for this effect...

So I roughed out a concept proto build using blue and red lightsabers, various scrap materials, and a custom-made harness to use smaller #555 13V LED bulbs.

Antenna (resized).jpgAntenna (resized).jpg

The tapers on the light sabers roughly match the telescoping profile of Python's original design, although they are short by one segment. Given width and durability constraints, (not to mention, the availability of toy lightsabers ha ha), this seems a fair tradeoff!

I originally drilled holes in the sabers to fit and align with the bulbs on the original stock harness so that I could check the effect, before committing to build a mount and new harness. I built my own harness to use smaller bulbs that better fit inside the sabers...

...on the next revision I will align the holes and sockets better with the joints between the saber segments. If you study Python's art, he implies lights in these locations. I also intend to paint the bulk of each segment silver and leave just the "joint" areas colored, again to better match the original art. Although who knows, maybe the full color topper will be better.

Some other design features of my topper are that it mounts using the original holes, so you don't have to drill into your backbox. You can also easily use the key!

Bulbs (resized).jpgBulbs (resized).jpg

strip (resized).jpgstrip (resized).jpg

And even though it's "short" compared to the art, the antenna is still just a tad longer than the backbox... but it's elevated high enough to clear a taller Sys 11:

AntennaClearance (resized).jpgAntennaClearance (resized).jpg

Anyway, as I said this is a v0.5 rough concept. I hope to post a video once I have someone else to help film, and also "paint" the segments silver to see how it looks with colored "dots" like the BB art.

Bottom line for me is it really looks more integrated to the game. You know those neat ditties and squeaks and squawks for various bonuses are timed along with the topper flashes? Well now, instead of some random "dayglo police siren" afterthought, it seems more like the actual *character of Pinbot himself" is responding and cheering for you!

Comments...?

#2 7 years ago

I really like it! I thought it looked like you used light sabers but it fits very well. You should take a video and post it, I'd love to see how it looks flashing. Nice cost-effect solution and it does give that antenna vibe. Only thing I would maybe try to add a little height is to put a little dome in the middle similar to how the helmet goes up height than the antennas in the translite. Not fully sure what I'd make it out of yet though... I think it would look good but I could be wrong.

#4 7 years ago

Do we get to see it in action, in the dark?
-mof

#5 7 years ago

Looks great to me.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Do we get to see it in action, in the dark?

Hopefully tonight I can get a decent video. Can't hold the cam at correct angle and play the machine at the same time...

#7 7 years ago

Yeah it's worthless when people do that.
-mof

#8 7 years ago

Looking forward to some vid!

#9 7 years ago

Looks awesome, can't wait to see it in action!

#10 7 years ago

Here's a VERY SHORT preview. Still don't have my help available as everyone is busy. I myself just finished a long day repairing my trusty pin-hauler.

But first an important note: Light bleed will NOT be a part of the "final product". At least that is not my intent! But since I'm still testing ideas, I have the antenna bar easily removable and not permanently attached, so it's kind of a loose fit. Also, remember I originally made it to fit the larger #89 bulbs on the stock harness, so there is some bleed thru those now-oversized holes. Once I permanently mount the bar, I'll make an appropriate light baffle (as well as a safety cover for the harness). Long term, if I make more of these, a better-drilled antenna bar will obviously help!

Now, there are several light effects I've seen, and this video is just one of them. The reason for differences is because if I leave the bar in solid color as shown above, the entire thing flashes in color through that translucent plastic. Which is kinda cool in itself, although it does resemble more of a Red & Blue Police Bar.

Last night I masked off the segments to get a feel for what it might look like painted as such. First, I used duct tape:

DuctTape (resized).jpgDuctTape (resized).jpg

Wasn't really thrilled with the dull finish and texture. But it offers nearly the same translucency as the bare plastic. Those LEDs are bright!

So to better judge the look I envisioned, while out getting tools and parts for my van today, I picked up some foil tape:

FoilTape (resized).jpgFoilTape (resized).jpg

My first time using foil tape, and it's not the most forgiving stuff, but still: I like this better! Do I like it as much as the full-color version? Surprisingly, I'm not sure. But more on that later.

Anyway here's a video. Since metal is opaque, this offered the "light dots like the art" effect:

Later on I'll remove the tape and video the original "translucent" appearance. Also hopefully with gameplay effects.

As for which one I like better, Silvered or full-color? I guess it depends on which looks most awesomest with the custom speaker panel I'm also making...

GIC_PinbotTopperPanel (resized).jpgGIC_PinbotTopperPanel (resized).jpg

Topper+Panel (resized).jpgTopper+Panel (resized).jpg

#12 7 years ago

Nice effect! The speaker grill insert looks outstanding!

#13 7 years ago

Ugh, kids... always so many things scheduled and conflicting with stuff! So I put my phone on a cradle on a tripod and then bent down to keep my fat stupid head out of the way.

You know what? Just when I thought I was getting decent at pinball, I found a new way to suck at it!

Anyhow, this video is with the foil tape still in place, and some quickly improvised light blocks behind the holes. Unfortunately one fell off on the blue side but you still should get the idea.

Of note, I think the spacing of the LEDs versus the alignment of the segment joints, really works well! The light bleed from different bulbs gives the impression of different segments being lit. Also, the bulbs I used have side-firing SMDs on them... so at certain times, the very tips of the antennas light up as well, even without bulbs... just as I was hoping!

#14 7 years ago

Why don't you mount the leds inside the antennas.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Why don't you mount the leds inside the antennas.

If there was enough interest to refine these for further manufacture that's exactly what I'd do. Thing is, the majority of the antenna is too narrow to fit conventional LED bulbs. Sure, I could use traditional 3mm LEDs or something, but those don't usually go up to 13V as far as I know. Right now I'm just roughing the concept to see if it looks cool enough to pursue, before I reinvent the wheel with custom wiring and integrated LEDs and such. Of course, if I went that far I'd probably try to cast a better single-piece antenna instead of hacking up re-purposed light sabers... at some point I need to figure out when good enough is good enough.

Quoted from ZeldaOoT:

Only thing I would maybe try to add a little height is to put a little dome in the middle similar to how the helmet goes up height than the antennas in the translite. Not fully sure what I'd make it out of yet though... I think it would look good but I could be wrong.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing... something to cover up that seam in the middle. Thing is, the backbox key is right there. But a removable dome made out of a small bowl or something might work alright. Once I get things finalized regarding the dimensions of the antenna bar - I'm close to that point, but I need to make the safety cover for the harness (or would that be unnecessary if I redesign it for intergrated LEDs as discussed above? This is all part of the R&D / prototyping process....) first... anyway, yeah, once the bar and mount design is finalized I can come up with a dome cover that's removable to allow use of the BB key.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

I could use traditional 3mm LEDs or something, but those don't usually go up to 13V as far as I know.

Use a 1/4 watt 560 ohm resistor in series with the led to run at 13 volts.

#17 7 years ago

Thanks for the math assist Although I wonder if a smaller LED would have the brightness? We all know those small 3mm bulbs are fairly dim at a distance. The bulbs I used there have 5 SMD and barely seem bright enough. A smaller LED would basically be just one or maybe 2SMD... on 13V... hmm, there's probably more to this than meets the eye. I'll have to do more research.

I also realize if I put the "helmet dome" in the middle, I'll have to relocate the innermost bulbs a little further outward. Not a huge deal; just more evidence that one change begets more change. So if I go pursue that, it'll be if/when I attempt to use the smaller LEDs...

...but probably only if "demand" warrants it. Not sure there's enough interest? I have to say I kind of like how it is, but then almost anything was an improvement over the "nothing" I had before.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

.but probably only if "demand" warrants it

May not have any demand but you need to do this up right for your pin!! I have purchased some very bight white 3 and 5 mm leds in the past. Also if you didn't care about longevity and know the exact led your going to use I could give you the correct resistor size to run it at 120% for maximum effect.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

2,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinbot-topper-his-helmet-antennae and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.