(Topic ID: 290261)

New pinball skills tutorial videos

By ABE_FLIPS

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8521 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8535 (resized).jpeg
    future spa (resized).jpg
    A9F64D97-061A-40B4-9978-236BBD7BA6A6 (resized).jpeg
    CECADAA8-FCF9-46C7-B522-7F1DA4833855 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20220726-131759 (resized).png
    location loop (resized).png
    TWIPYs21 (resized).jpg
    skipass (resized).jpg
    001 (resized).png
    Unbenannt01 (resized).png
    Unbenannt02 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider isochronic_frost.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#65 2 years ago
    Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

Here is the latest tutorial, please let me know how you like it:
    cheers

Your tutorials are very flashy and well-produced. I ask though, can you at least use the standard terminology instead of this made up stuff?

Like the Micro-flip which is really a tap pass or tap flip.

Or the “ski-pass” which is literally just a dead bounce.

Papa covered them all in this old series: https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-WQLGFMr97DnxeE1Rmi-wAwa-Vm7D-7i

It’s cool to cover the basics every couple years, as several have done, but let’s not keep using different language to further confuse players.
    It’s bad enough that I keep hearing people talk about “tilting the paddles” and “tilting the table” when they mean any action or nudging. That’s thanks to Gravity Falls which had a pinball episode

#67 2 years ago
    Quoted from L8vid:

Since these tutorials are a remake of the "Pinball 101" DVD please stick with the common terminology that we and PAPA use. Presenting terminology consistent with what the "pro" players use was one of the goals of our videos.
    Otherwise keep up the good work!

Yes, that’s what I was referring to. There’s no mention of “micro” or “ski” on any of them.
    I’ve never seen the Pinball 101 DVD’s when did they come out? I love the Papa tutorials though. I will miss them greatly

#88 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Ski pass is used by everyone including the czars over at PAPA.

Can you include a link? Because I browsed the PAPA list of terms and it’s not on there.

Watch the video maybe? The flipper is raised, the ball hits the rubber and then you immediately drop it so the initial bounce continues. The ball is not traveling up the flipper over to the opposite one, which would just be an inlane transfer.

Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

Thanks for the feedback as always I appreciate it!
    To give you guys a little insight:
    I know its annoying to hear things differenty- thats language.
    There are different opinions on terminology from professional players depending on where they live.
    I did my best and discussed that on the tiltforums, also with members from PAPA and the best players around the world.
    If you want to take part on the discussion, please do so:
    http://tiltforums.com/t/new-pinball-skills-tutorial-videos-looking-for-feedback-from-high-level-players/6971/95
    Truth is there is no standard. Being aware of this, I did my best and included most common names also in the Titels during the videos. The term micro flip and ski pass is also used by Jack Danger, so you maybe want to talk to him about it? He has THE biggest impact on the community.
    Im working on those tutorials about 5 hours a day, especially because I know Im not experienced and have very high standards - all for free, enjoy.
    Next week I am meeting with one of the top 10 world players to do my research on nudging, because I wan't it to be great.
    cheers

I appreciate you responding to my critiques in a calm manner. It’s refreshing, unlike the extreme negativity from others.

I’ve watched Jack since he started on Twitch, and never heard him say Ski-pass. I’ve heard him say Micro-Flip and chatted back and forth on it, and left it preference. When did he start using ski-pass? Even searching pinside, it sounds like a relatively new term, within the past couple years.

Also, I understand the French/English thing going on. Some commenters seem to forget your videos are in English! I have worked with many French pinheads, and they call them flippers because the translation from English to French for “pinball” would make no sense. Sometimes language relies on existing words instead of making one up if it doesn’t make sense.

It’s like Ramen noodles in English. Ramen IS LITERALLY A NOODLE. We don’t say Spaghetti noodle!
    Anyway, my point still stands.
    Great work on the series ABE_FLIPS
    I look forward to the nudging videos.

#97 2 years ago
    Quoted from shaub:

So, by definition, the flipper is not "dead" then, right?
    To me a "ski jump" and an "inlane transfer" are the same thing. Any dropping of the flipper when the ball gets to the tip or nudging of the machine are just additional aspects of the move for when the ball doesn't have sufficient momentum. In Abe's video, he calls it a "Ski Pass AKA Ski Jump, Flipper Pass, Inlane Transfer, or The Evil Knievel" so I feel like he really covers his bases with the terminology. Speaking of which, I should really work on calling it an "Inlane Transfer" more reflexively, I hate the term "Ski Jump/Pass" myself, but I don't think that means it isn't a "valid" term for it though.
    FYI, the first instance in his video looks like this: this screenshot is the frame before his flipper drops. If you really want to break these moves down into sub categories, I suppose you could call it something like a "Live Bounce" though that makes it sound more like a variation of a dead bounce. I still think it is much more in line with an "inlane transfer" because it is executed the same way, does the same thing and results the same, this is why I would classify them the same. Basically, I don't think nudging the machine to make the ball bounce fundamentally alters from an "inlane transfer" to a distinct, new move.
    For the record, I wasn't trying to be a jerk with my initial "how so?" comment, I was legitimately curious about your perspective, I probably would have come off more sincere with a full sentence though.
    [quoted image]

A dead bounce means the ball is not put in motion by mechanical “active” action. When the ball hits a rubber and bounces purely due to the properties of the rubber, it’s considered a dead bounce.
    Example being woodrail games with passive bumpers, they have rubber on them and the ball strikes them and rebounds off them.

Look at his videos. As the flipper hits the base of the flipper, it bounces off that rubber, and if you don’t drop the flipper, it would strike that flipper and not bounce all the way over. It does not roll up the flipper and over to the other side. If you did not flip and the ball bounces off the flipper and rebounds from the rubber, that’s a dead bounce. Same thing here except the position of the flipper is raised, merely to catch the bottom rubber, the flipper itself is not actively flipping the ball to the other side, such as a tap pass.

The dead in “dead bounce” doesn’t refer to a dead flipper, it refers to the rubber itself being the source of the passive bounce.

#99 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yes it does. There’s only one way to do a dead bounce. That’s with a flipper at rest.

In a dead bounce you’re not actively hitting the ball with the flipper, and in the bounce pass shown, you’re not doing that either, the flipper is dropped.

At this point I’ll rest my case, at no point in those videos is the flipper actively flipping the ball away. He even uses a nudge to get it across because it can’t fully make it under its own power. This isn’t even the main point but you guys are trying super hard to latch onto it. You can attempt to justify that all you want.

#103 2 years ago
    Quoted from greenhornet:

its official.
    [quoted image]

It better be the Oxford dictionary or I won’t accept it! They’re the only ones who have the credibility to convince me

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider isochronic_frost.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinball-skills-tutorial-videos?tu=isochronic_frost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.