(Topic ID: 290261)

New pinball skills tutorial videos

By ABE_FLIPS

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8521 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8535 (resized).jpeg
    future spa (resized).jpg
    A9F64D97-061A-40B4-9978-236BBD7BA6A6 (resized).jpeg
    CECADAA8-FCF9-46C7-B522-7F1DA4833855 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20220726-131759 (resized).png
    location loop (resized).png
    TWIPYs21 (resized).jpg
    skipass (resized).jpg
    001 (resized).png
    Unbenannt01 (resized).png
    Unbenannt02 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Riefepeters.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#249 1 year ago

Quick shout out to ABE_FLIPS

The middle school is allowing kids to choose some elective courses to explore new things over a 4 day period in February. A parent suggested I lead a course in pinball as one option. As soon as the school reached out I knew I had these videos in my back pocket to guide some skill development over the 4 days. East yes!!

Looking forward to introducing kids to pinball and using these vids. Every time I watch I’m still amazed at the production value. Just a dang nice Job on these…

#255 1 year ago
    Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

Sure I could make two completely different videos for beginners and advanced, but that might too much work for one person

Abe, here's how I'm going to use your videos and introduce pinball to middle school kids. Keep in mind it's a fun class, but also "educational" kind of...this may or may not help you think about how you want to organize or approach your expanded videos.

The first item on the agenda is to get kids to conclude that pinball is a game of skill, not a game of luck, and that it's more than just keeping the ball in play! So I've structured the learnings or overview of pinball into 4 key themes or areas of discussion around utilizing that skill to achieve a higher score or to get further into a game.

1. Know the rules / know the game / know where to shoot
    2. Know how to aim and make those shots
    3. know how to control the ball and set up those shots
    4. Know how to stop the ball from draining when poop is hitting the fan

I've got 4 days with kids at 1.5 hours each day. I'm covering topics 1&2 on day 1, topic 3 on day 2, topic 4 on day 3, and day 4 is pingolf and stall ball and free play (there is also free play and skill practice on days 1/2/3...)

1. KNOW THE RULES (your videos don't cover this today)
    Every game has a different story and a different ruleset. Different shots and series of shots advance modes or multiballs or create jackpot shots. You've got to know and understand that progression in the game youre playing so you know where to shoot. And many modern games have different ways to approach, so you've got to know the rules to determine how you want to strategicially approach that game...and therefore where to shoot!

2. KNOW HOW TO MAKE THE SHOTS
    your video: Aiming
    This is all about geometry and flipper/ball interaction. The ball can actually go where you want it to go!

3. KNOW HOW TO CONTROL THE BALL TO MAKE THE SHOTS
    your videos: (in progression from basic to more advanced skills) Dead bounce, ski pass, post pass, drop catch, live catch, micro flips
    This is all about being able to control the ball so that you can take advantage of the geometry and make the shots you're intending! It's about the "offensive" plays in pinball to make the shots.

4. KNOW HOW TO KEEP THE BALL ALIVE!
    your videos: (in progression from basic to more advanced) shielding, slap save, nudging
    This is all about playing defense. Inevitably, either because a shot was missed or because a shot was required to hit a drop or standup...the ball will randomize, and this is all about playing defense to keep the ball alive until you can apply some offensive ball control

To me, organizing content along those 4 lines helps to introduce somebody into pinball taking them from "you just dont want the ball to disappear...right?" to "wow...this is actually a skillful game of strategy!" So it might make sense to group you skills into these buckets. I like the ideas you have of taking some of these skills deeper and deeper. you're right, theres a ton on aiming you can explore. I think you can make a video that goes totally advanced and deep on each of these skills. But then it would be pretty easy to cut or edit about 90 seconds from each skill to create a "beginner" intro series...or a singular 5 minute beginner intro which goes through all of this in progression of these skills. In the full beginner intro...maybe you you only cover basic aiming/geometry; dead bounce/skipass/post pass/drop catch; shielding/slapsave/basic nudging -- and thats enough to tell the story to someone new. But that content is kind of repeated in each of the deeper more advanced skill dives.

Good luck in your efforts. Your vids are awesome!

3 weeks later
    #258 1 year ago

Day 1 of pinball camp complete. The crew learned about geometry and aiming today from Abe Flips. Really great vid.

Tomorrow this crew will focus on ball control and some offensive maneuvers.

A9F64D97-061A-40B4-9978-236BBD7BA6A6 (resized).jpegA9F64D97-061A-40B4-9978-236BBD7BA6A6 (resized).jpegCECADAA8-FCF9-46C7-B522-7F1DA4833855 (resized).jpegCECADAA8-FCF9-46C7-B522-7F1DA4833855 (resized).jpeg
    5 months later
    #266 8 months ago

always great vids. Looking forward to seeing what’s released.

7 months later
    #287 22 days ago

Annual pinball week long class with Abe Flips vids…

IMG_8521 (resized).jpegIMG_8521 (resized).jpegIMG_8535 (resized).jpegIMG_8535 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Riefepeters.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinball-skills-tutorial-videos?tu=Riefepeters and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.