(Topic ID: 290261)

New pinball skills tutorial videos

By ABE_FLIPS

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8521 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8535 (resized).jpeg
    future spa (resized).jpg
    A9F64D97-061A-40B4-9978-236BBD7BA6A6 (resized).jpeg
    CECADAA8-FCF9-46C7-B522-7F1DA4833855 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20220726-131759 (resized).png
    location loop (resized).png
    TWIPYs21 (resized).jpg
    skipass (resized).jpg
    001 (resized).png
    Unbenannt01 (resized).png
    Unbenannt02 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ABE_FLIPS.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Hello,

I have a new project called "pinball skills in depth".
    New videos are coming every few weeks, have a look and subscribe if you like them.

Channel trailer

Micro flips

Aiming and shooting part 1

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from onemilemore:

Dig it! I am newer to the hobby and will take any help I can get, and these videos are high-quality. Subscribed.

Thanks for the kind words. The upcoming videos are: ski Pass, post pass and drop catch.

#13 3 years ago

I really appreciate all your kind words, thank you so much! Especially DaveH
    Bugsy good point, I kind of handwaved over this. The thing is, I want to make it short and efficient at the same time. I could have gone much deeper into it.

Is there anything specific you'd like to see in the future? Still gathering information on this.

cheers

#19 3 years ago

Thanks, nudging is a huge topic which also requires alot of experience and research.
    I'm not sure yet how to split that up in differnt parts since i do not want to make the videos too long, but its definitely coming!

*different bouncing material like rubber and metal
    *sling shot nudging
    *sling post nudging
    *outlane nudging
    *cabinet side slaps/nudges (also slow loop feed to avoid the slings)
    *shaking the outlane
    *differnt nudge passes
    *ball prediction for successful nudging
    *multiball nudges (where all comes together)

pinballj drop catches are already in the pipeline!

TinyBlackDog thanks, I already have such things recoreded (for the upcoming video) and they are really helping.

Bugsy loop passes only are working on games where the loop feeds the flipper and this has to happen in the right angle and speed.
    If you are doing a drop catch you release the button too early. However the problem can also be the angle and speed.
    I`m only able to do them on my DP Pro, since they simply do not work on my other games. Loop passes are not planned yet, maybe in the future.

#20 3 years ago

Here is the latest tutorial, please let me know how you like it:

cheers

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from TinyBlackDog:

Awesome Abe! Love the lower playfield view (with hands visible) at :31 - this is what I'm hoping to see when you do your outlane nudging video. For some reason I'm always shaking too hard and seem to cause more drains or warnings.
    Time to practice some ski passes!

it could take a little while for the nudging video, since my elbows are inflamated here is a short tip:

when the ball already has made it past the upper sling post its too late most of the time. you should have prevented that in the first place by smart ball prediction and nudging!
    However simply do a well timed, short and hard (means less tilt bouncing) upward nudge as the ball reaches the outlane post. ideally the rubber touches the ball enough to force the ball upwards.
    Unbenannt01 (resized).pngUnbenannt01 (resized).png
    If a slower, bouncing ball somehow made it to the outlanes you can shake the machine diagonally, to reduce the gap between the two outlane rubbers. you will have to shake quite forcefully and you will mostly get 1-2 warnings. Its a last resort move. the earlier you shake the greater your chance is the ball won`t make it past the outlane posts and the less forcfully you have to shake. just try it, its not that hard, just hard to master.

Unbenannt02 (resized).pngUnbenannt02 (resized).png

1 month later
    #25 2 years ago

Here is the latest tutorial!
    The next video will be drop catches, looking great so far.

cheers

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Awesome how about some more info on that little tap pass towards the end of the vid? Found it earlier in this thread thanks for that one as well.
    THANK YOU

Ah i see what you mean @0:39. That was more likely a playfull on-the-fly finesse shot into the inlane.
    This technique also can be used if you are forced to shoot the ball away because you are not able to aim well. Slightly tap the flipper button for soft shots and avoid fast out-of-controll balls. Its hard to pull off and rarely useful.

[Aiming and Shooting part 2] will include finesse on-the-fly shots, but I`m not sure if i will do a video on tap passes since they are mainly used on old machines which i don't own.

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from WizardMod:

Nice Videos!! Sharing on our page now

Thanks for the support, I appreciate it!

I'm really excited for the upcoming drop catch video, alot of in depth knowledge and "secret" tips you won't find anywhere easily!

1 month later
    #36 2 years ago

Finally, that was a hard one, also thanks to the guys and gals from tiltforums

#39 2 years ago

thanks, the content is growing, hopefully we make it to the nudging skills soon

#42 2 years ago
    Quoted from greenhornet:

abe, are you good friends with johannes ?

unfortunately not, I do not know any pinhead in person since I have started with pinball only two years ago and then covid hit...

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

Your videos just became all that much more impressive.

Hmm, I dont think so, I was just insistence. Videos can make anyone look good I tried to play 1 hour a day. Thats about 700 hrs + of gameplay.
    And I think I wasn`t even efficient with practice, since I have had no feedback or teaching from professional players.

I often thought I have hit plateaus, but that was not the case, I just didn't see my mistakes.
    I remember how frustrating it was, not being able to tell where my flaws are or how I could improve in any way.
    Beside the tutorials I`m also planning a little series where I will comment on some of my gameplay and let people know when, why and how I choose certain techniques. For a more practical approach

1 month later
    #46 2 years ago

#50 2 years ago
    Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Why the giggle at the end about slapping balls? LOL

That was the moment i realized what I just said

Nokoro
    If your tilt is not too sensitive, single slaps can be very useful, because you dont lose ball control from the second slap.

#52 2 years ago

Ooh boy

1 month later
    #53 2 years ago

Hey there!

#55 2 years ago

The long part is the research, scrip writing, audio recording and editing... oh and i have to make all pinball sounds in post production since the camera i use does not record audio in the high FPS mode. Recording pinball only took about 3 hours i think, with some pre-recorded shots already existing.
    But the LOTR Saurons eye shot really took some time to get right. Unfortunately it somehow came out in low res with the mp4 compression

1 week later
    #56 2 years ago

New Channel trailer, with a sneak peak for the upcoming nudging video!

#60 2 years ago

thanks, I`ve been working my ass off today again for the tutorials, the next video will be ready soon!
    I also try to stream on twitch from time to time like today
    https://www.twitch.tv/abe_flips

cheers

#61 2 years ago

Thanks for stoppin by, I really enjoed it. Lets hope I dont get DMCAd.
    In the future I will also upload the best games on youtube.
    Here ist the first one, over 40 min for one game nearly as bad as LOTR

#64 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjj:

Enjoying your instructional videos,thank you!
    Took a peek at the mando gameplay, imho it would be better to have the play field take up more of the screen and have the other
    camera view from low flipper view instead of on the player unless she is a topless babe!
    Also take out the screen comments and it would be perfect!

Thanks for the input. I would need to buy a gopro and probably a new laptop for the additional camera. So for now I will stick to the oldschool deadflip layout and put my money and energy in the tutorials. However, if streaming is growing on me I may invest in some more equipment.

#72 2 years ago

Thanks for the feedback as always I appreciate it!

To give you guys a little insight:
    I know its annoying to hear things differenty- thats language.
    There are different opinions on terminology from professional players depending on where they live.
    I did my best and discussed that on the tiltforums, also with members from PAPA and the best players around the world.
    If you want to take part on the discussion, please do so:
    http://tiltforums.com/t/new-pinball-skills-tutorial-videos-looking-for-feedback-from-high-level-players/6971/95

Truth is there is no standard. Being aware of this, I did my best and included most common names also in the Titels during the videos. The term micro flip and ski pass is also used by Jack Danger, so you maybe want to talk to him about it? He has THE biggest impact on the community.

Im working on those tutorials about 5 hours a day, especially because I know Im not experienced and have very high standards - all for free, enjoy.
    Next week I am meeting with one of the top 10 world players to do my research on nudging, because I wan't it to be great.

cheers

#76 2 years ago

I thought the same. I know the other terms like pass over, flipper pass, inlane transfer, ski jump and the evil knievel, also discussed on the tiltforums and mentioned in the video.
    But I never heard of a dead bounce in this regard

#87 2 years ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

This tip is HUGE! I just beat my best score on Metallica thanks to the micro flip,backhand shot!
    I have a JP coming this December,so I should be ready for the control room.

Glad to hear, the more you practice the more precise you will be. The timing of the flip also determines how hard you shoot the ball up, quite complex.
    If you are mindful you even can sneak in back hand shots during standard gameplay from rolling balls, not set up from micro flips... those are really satisfying when pulled off well.

#91 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Can you include a link? Because I browsed the PAPA list of terms and it’s not on there.

Watch the video maybe? The flipper is raised, the ball hits the rubber and then you immediately drop it so the initial bounce continues. The ball is not traveling up the flipper over to the opposite one, which would just be an inlane transfer.

I appreciate you responding to my critiques in a calm manner. It’s refreshing, unlike the extreme negativity from others.
    I’ve watched Jack since he started on Twitch, and never heard him say Ski-pass. I’ve heard him say Micro-Flip and chatted back and forth on it, and left it preference. When did he start using ski-pass? Even searching pinside, it sounds like a relatively new term, within the past couple years.
    Also, I understand the French/English thing going on. Some commenters seem to forget your videos are in English! I have worked with many French pinheads, and they call them flippers because the translation from English to French for “pinball” would make no sense. Sometimes language relies on existing words instead of making one up if it doesn’t make sense.
    It’s like Ramen noodles in English. Ramen IS LITERALLY A NOODLE. We don’t say Spaghetti noodle!
    Anyway, my point still stands.
    Great work on the series ABE_FLIPS
    I look forward to the nudging videos.

Well, when I read your first comment I can understand why people would criticize.
    And what you describe as "extreme negativity" was 90% POSITIVE support from people appreciate the videos and see the work behind it. How more positive can you be than supporting what you like instead of ranting about your rash comment, which I think is disproved. People keep saying pinside is such a negative place, but it was just you and L8vid being negative in this case, so dont turn around the story here.
    Anyway, lets burry the hatchet stay positve again, its not worth it. And as I said, I really can understand how disturbing differnt terminology can be.

By the way, this is no remake of pinball 101 or the PAPA tutorials. This is my own interpretation of pinball.

If you want to know my resources, they are
    tiltforums.com
    Jack Danger
    Karl DeAngelo
    Keith Elwin with "Pinball 101 DVD"
    Robert Polin and Michael Rain with the "Pinbal Wizardy" book
    and Robert Sutter

Regarding the ski pass, I heard Jack saying it live on two of his streams, but not too often.
    Also the tiltforum members where discordant, thats why I included all the other names for it in the video, just watch it again.
    And regarding the dead bounce... I disagree

1 week later
    #105 2 years ago

Hey there,
    finally made it! Reached the super Sectret Wizard mode on JP and didn`t even know what was happening
    Especially interesting to see how bad my aim was most of the time, but somehow I survived.
    It was a VERY close and thrilling game.
    Disclaimer: many ski passes in this one, and it starts out with german language and switches back to english

#107 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

lol, all those ski passes made for an awesome game. Well done.
    I think I might be getting this pin next. I thought I was not going to but the more I look at it, the more I think it is a killer pin.

Highly recommend it!
    The real fun begins if you can hit- and combo the shots, the feeling and flow is great if you can do so.
    The code is awesome IMO, especially the Multiballs, wizard modes and dino capture mechanics with the moving shots.
    But you have to spend some time on it! Also dialing in the machine took me some time, but totally worth it.

#110 2 years ago

Thats right, the funny thing is, I thought i have to complete every control- and T-Rex event without draining for "When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth", but instead you "only" have to finish all wizard modes without draining:

-Secure control room (complete control room modes)
    -Museum Mayhem (complete T-Rex events)
    -Visitor Center (complete paddocks)
    -Escape Nublar (complete Secure control room, Museum Mayhem and Visitor Center)
    -When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth (complete all wizard modes without draining)

Here is everything you need to know:
    http://tiltforums.com/t/stern-jurassic-park-rulesheet/5644

#113 2 years ago

We nearly made it to the nudging video, just a few more weeks...
    In the meanwhile you can watch the latest tutorial. Enjoying the awesome transition effects!

#118 2 years ago
    Quoted from punkin:

The one thing i always mean to practice and always get more interested in flipping. Thanks mate, i'll try the one handed approach.
    Probs not behind my back, but only one hand on the machine at a time and see how i go.
    Truly the next skill i want to gather.

TBH I suck at it too and it always feels frustrating... however, weakness in certain aspects is often a good indicator for what you should focus on to improve. Getting out of the Comfort zone

#120 2 years ago

Nice, i found that there are different approaches to save balls and its awesome with what people come up with.
    However, in the end everything comes down to tilt sensitivty

#124 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Or with new sterns, debounce settings too.

True, i remember how they lowered the debounce time with a JP2 update and I hated it

1 month later
    #131 2 years ago

Finally its here! The long awaited Nudging video.
    Thanks again to Robert Sutter for all his support!

#134 2 years ago

I have still more to come and more ideas in my head I`d love to implement.
    It requires alot of work and energy but the outcome is always worth it, so stay tuned
    Let me know if you have ideas for content or feedback.
    Newcomers are welcome too, I`d love to know what questions you have, if there are any.

cheers

#136 2 years ago
    Quoted from JakePG:

A video talking about and explaining how tournament/league pinball works would be cool. I know it's not instructional, but would be interested

Since I have no tournament experience I am the wrong person to ask.
    But you can listen to Tom Grafs, & Travis Muries Podcast. They talk alot about Tournaments, and you get some insight.
    https://www.podbean.com/site/search/index?kdsowie31j4k1jlf913=95501b9812445a8a3984495ea15ab7b08b6ad777&v=Triple+Drain+

#138 2 years ago
    Quoted from JakePG:

perfect. been looking for podcasts to listen to at work
    thanks

In this case TPN (the pinball network) offers alot more for you.

#141 2 years ago
    Quoted from TinyBlackDog:

Great video ABE_FLIPS! One other technique you may want to include in your part 2 video is slapping or banging the side of the cabinet. I see a lot of better players do this quite a bit, particularly on EMs. As you pointed out, side to side nudges have less effect the further up the playfield you go. Slapping the sides of the cabinet closer to the ball can be quite effective.

Yes, i discovered that too, thanks for the input! I thought thats a very specific technique, so i didn`t include it. (and I have no EMs at home)
    It will not come in part 2, but maybe later in part 3, when I am more experienced too

2 weeks later
    #147 2 years ago

Hey there, its TWIPYs Pre-Voting time!
    https://twipys.com/2021-pre-voting/

Here you have the chance to show your appreciation for free and support your favorite pinball people.

Please vote for ABE FLIPS at "Favorite Youtube Channel"
    More high quality tutorials are planned for 2022 and the second Nudging Video is already in production!

Cheers
    TWIPYs21 (resized).jpgTWIPYs21 (resized).jpg

#149 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Done! You were definitely in my top 2 of YT channels of 2021!! Keep it up!

I rember you giving me gameplay advices two years ago as I was asking newbie questions in the forum
    Nice to hear I made it up to your top two, thanks for your support!

cheers

1 month later
    #150 2 years ago

Hello, we made it to the nominees!
    Here is the final voting for the TWIPYs and I would be happy if you support this project: https://twipys.com/2021-twipys-ballot/
    You can find me at page 2 as Favorite Pinball YouTube Channel

More tutorials are on the way for 2022 and Nudging Part 2 will be already out in a few days!
    Thank You all for your support!

cheers

#157 2 years ago

Thanks for all your support! The voting isn`t over yet, gogogo
    https://twipys.com/2021-twipys-ballot/

I am having rendering issues with the latest video, but its all done, can`t take much longer!
    In the meantime an upload from my last live stream, thanks for hanging out!

#158 2 years ago

Hey there,

here is the second nudging part, please let me know how you like it and if there are more questions regarding nudging, because there might be a 3rd part in the future.

Also please don't forget to vote for me at the TWIPYs. It's open until the 17th of January and i really appreciate every vote

I wasn't able to finish the thumbnail in time, don't take the placeholder too serious

#163 2 years ago
    Quoted from daveyvandy:

Dude that thumbnail is perfect

Thanks, but I like the new one better, went all out for it

#167 2 years ago
    Quoted from Anony:

I love the style in these videos. The knowledge is great too but I love how you shoot and edit as well.
    Here's a request, can you talk about the range of the flipper and the area it covers? What I mean is when is it better to flip, not flip, or hold the flipper up to prevent a center drain? Is it always a bad idea to hit the flippers at the same time? Does that increase the chances of the ball going between them? I'm interested in how the flipper covers the center in different positions. For example is the flipper further into the center lane when it's at the top position, bottom or halfway through the stroke? Or is it the same?

Wow you hit the Jackpot... the next video will be "how to protect the center"!
    That will include all the angles and also slingshot action, a very important part.

Regarding when to shoot... Part 2 of "Aiming and Shooting" will also come, but it could take some time to get there. It will include on the fly shots.

Another thing would be- which technique should be used when. I decided that I want to show every technique on its own at first before I put everything together. For example, i did explain the best angles for dead bounces, live catches and drop catches (on the fly shots still missing). But in reality its not always as clear because you could need the ball on the opposite flipper for the next shot, that means you could force a risky pass. Or the angle is not good for a live catch but you need the ball on that flipper- so take the risk? etc... for this reason I wanted to record some live gameplay and pick certain situations and explain why i choose one skill over another, similar to the "various examples" in Nudging part 2 with slow motion and agles explained.

So there is much more to come this year and I'm already very excited!

A little advertising, since I get no money for all this you can SHOW YOUR SUPPORT here at the TWIPYs voting on page 2 for "Favorite Pinball YouTube Channel"

Thanks alot

#169 2 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

I love all these videos and advice. My only problem is I always figure out what I’m supposed to do a second too late.

Be happy, thats the most important part, and I feel you there
    One thing you can try is to not just let pinball happen in front of you. Get in control, be in the moment and try to anticipate every second as you play and remind yourself of it. Don't get lazy. I'm sure you will get something out of it!

2 weeks later
    #173 2 years ago

Just a short update. I'm waiting for two new machines to arrive for the next videos. (Godzilla & Stranger Things)
    Until then there will be a short production break, but everything is ready to go, so stay tuned

2 weeks later
    #179 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

Stranger Things is going to teach you a few new tricks lol.
    Looking forward to Gz videos
    Keep up the awesome work!
    Also, any abe flips merch? I want a hoodie with your logo

I hope so, learning and integrating the knowledge achieved from new machines into my skillset is always the best part!

Merch? Thats nice to hear, but nothing planned in the near future. However, if anyone is interested I could send you the Transparent GIF file for a print. Just let me know via PM.

cheers

2 months later
    #181 1 year ago

Hey there,

since I got some requests from pinball locations for a special video, I put something together. It's meant to motivate new people for pinball and/or to dive deeper into the hobby. You can play it on infinity loop (no adds or video recommendations) and its meant to be played muted. I would be happy if you could share this, if you know someone who owns a pinball location or someone who is hosting a tournament. There are already some shots from the upcoming "Shielding" video included I also updated the subtitles of all my videos, if you want to run them muted on your screens.

If you need OFFLINE PLAYBACK, please send me a PM and i will get you the HQ file!

cheers

#191 1 year ago
    Quoted from gorgar007:

Yeah that seems to be it. Here's a deadflip example which seems to be the same technique (right at about 3:48)

Yes yall are talking about the slap save (double).
    Depending on the balls speed and angle of incidence the slaps may vary, so that it can look like a simultaneous flip, especially on fast balls! Also depending on the playstyle. Excepting slap saves you should avoid doubleflipping because you can't react and save balls with raised flippers.

#192 1 year ago
    Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Did you win a Twipy? First time voter because of you!!!!

Sorry forgot to say thanks! We where not bad with the ranking. It's nice to be even nominated.
    But with such an unknown channel (1.8k subscribers) and without advertising, chances are low to win.

Best youtube channel votes in %:

TNT Amusements 30.47%
    Straight Down the Middle: a pinball show 18.24%
    Cary Hardy 14.06%
    PAPA TV Pinball 13.56%
    Flip N Out Pinball 7.31%
    Tilt - The Sweet Science of Pinball 5.70%
    Buffalo Pinball 5.47%
    Abe Flips 5.19%
    Pinball Mag 4.73%
    MarvLoco: A Pinball Podcast 2.67%

1 week later
    #196 1 year ago
    Quoted from Snailman:

I voted for you. It was great to meet you in person at Fulda! Thanks again for the great pinball video content to help people learn to play better. I continue sharing them with my local pinball community.

Yeah, it was a great to see you too in person! Crazy internet times , thanks for all your help!

#198 1 year ago
    Quoted from onemilemore:

Have you done a video on stage flipping?

Not yet, but will definitely come!

#199 1 year ago

Here is the first image I got where a "Abe Flips" video is running on a location screen. Thats so cool, thanks!

oyvindmo
    thanks for sending the image of you location

location loop (resized).pnglocation loop (resized).png
    3 weeks later
    #201 1 year ago

Hey there, here is the latest video!
    "Shielding" is quite an important technique and from what I have seen there is no other source of information on it.
    I put it right after the "Aiming and Shooting" tutorial in the playlist due to its importance!

To give you a little update on the Abe Flips project, I'm not sure how I will progress further since I feel a lack of motivation and most of the important stuff is done. Sure there would be much more and I already have those Ideas, I'm just not sure how I want to progress. Maybe a digital DVD like "Pinball 103" with even more detailed exlanations comes to mind, Multiball play, tech videos about how to set up machines, switches etc. or maybe some tournament oriented stuff. Anyway I will upload some Live-Streams in future again on Youtube for sure.
    Let's see what future holds!

Thanks everyone for helping with ideas and your critics so far!

cheers

#209 1 year ago
    Quoted from Snailman:

Regardless of if and how you continue with these videos, rest assured that all the great content you've produced is a huge asset for the pinball community, and I'd wager has helped thousands of people around the world get better at pinball, make repeat plays of pinball more accessible, and increase their appreciation of pinball.
    Thanks again!

Thanks for the kind words, that means alot to me

ZoraShinoda
    thats a part in the microflip video i didn't include. Snailman already explained the switch thing. However, there is a important thing i want to add here.
    When you see the ball rolling up the raised flipper and you want to stop it or pass it over with a microflip, i found myself lifting off my hand completely from the button to make sure the switch does not make connection anymore. This way i don't have to deal with different switches on different games.
    Off the button is off the switch. However whats different are the times you have to take off your hand of the game. I often find myself even slaping the button to get the sweet spot of the timing of the microflip... hard to explain.
    For the ski pass, it's hardly dependend on the game and the flipper angle. On many games its simply not possible, or you can't support the pass with the second flipper because the ball is too slow. I also didn't include that in the tutorial.

#213 1 year ago

Thanks for the Tilt Video, that was really great! I also heard about the earplug mod for tournaments, now i have seen it!

punkin I feel you there, it was the same for me, as i was looking for help for playing tips. Thats why i started my own tutorials
    However in person it seems to be much easier to get help. I got never disapointed this way in the pinball scene.

#216 1 year ago
    Quoted from scootss:

New video is excellent and all your videos are a true asset to the hobby. Thank you!
    I donated a while back and would encourage everyone else to do the same.
    I'm not sure if that's the kind of motivation you need/want, but I'm sure it can't hurt

Thanks for the donation! Overall i received about 70 $ from donations.
    Until now money didn't play a role. I have no advertising going on and i denied all cooperations i got offered to give you the best experience possible.

Maybe money could be a motivator now, but I think the main problem is my workflow, which drains my energy. I also need to re-new my fire, find something which drives me.

To give you a little inight in my workflow.

1. Creating a concept, research the topic (fun part)
    2. Creating the script, making this in english is hard to do for me
    3. Video recording, the easier part
    4. Audio recording, i really don't like it (english & german)
    5. Video editing, i use a friends old Sony FS700 high speed camera setup, where i have to cut and save every file individualy- without sound
    6. creating animations and editing is slow (limited by computerpower and missing knowledge)
    7. Audio editing (the camera has no audio recording at the highspeed setting, so i have to add all the sounds in post production, every flipper flip and ball bounce you hear, i have to do manually)

From reading my own post, i guess the solution would be to improve my workflow and buy a new camera system and maybe making shorter videos.
    I think i could cut down the work times about 50% this way, which would cost me about 9.000 $. I could sell a pinball machine for it... NOT
    Cameras also lose value fast, unlike pinball machines. I will talk to a friend, he might help me with workflow and always has great ideas.

#219 1 year ago

Damn, wow! thanks Austin B. You just doubled my overall donations
    That will go into the new harddisc drive, 1TB wasn't enough.

#222 1 year ago

Hey there, BIG NEWS!

I did some research and talked to friends and its getting more and more clear that I will do a crowdfunding project on Kickstarter.
    It will fund the equipment and maybe the time I need to produce a full digital DVD with 40min+ of footage with all the missing skills I wanted to dive in, and going even deeper into previous skills. I also would like to add some tech tips and maybe going into classic machines too.

The way this crowdfunding would work is, you can fund for example 25$ for this project and get the Video I produce for free in exchange. So it`s a win/win situation, since there is no risk for you supporters, because you get the money back if we don't reach our financial goal. I think due to the previous videos I did, people will trust in me and they already know the quality they can expect.

The financial goal I set, will not cover all the time I have to spend on this enormous project, I hope I will get something in return later with the sells of the Video, or by exceeding the financial goal at the funding process for the equipment. Supporters who have already donated will also be rewarded accordingly, thank you!

Since I'm new to crowdfunding, I would be happy to hear if you have any tips or ideas.
    Please let me know if you can help with shout-outs, podcasts, blogs or maybe an article to get this going at the launch date!

I'll keep you up to date
    cheers

2 weeks later
    #228 1 year ago

Yes they are great, https://www.deadflip.com/tutorials

cheers

1 month later
    #231 1 year ago
    Quoted from EternitytoM83:

Dude, you're famous!
    [quoted image]

Yeah, great news! Stern reached out to me, because they want to use the videos on their sites.
    They also will help out with promotion for the Kickstarter project!

Kickstarter turns out to be out more complicated than I thought, since I want to make sure everything works smoothly at the launch. Preperation is everything here. With the additional help of Stern I'm confident we will bring this to life.

#235 1 year ago
    Quoted from Blamer:

I just can't imagine how you felt when they contacted you.
    How many times did you double/triple/... check?
    Happy for you, very well deserved!

To be honest, getting feedback from so many worldclass players was bigger for me, since it's the best endorsement I can get.
    Also meeting, playing and chatting with those people was awesome. However, you are right- it is great!

2 months later
    #238 1 year ago
    Quoted from doc5md:

Successfully did the 'Wicked Shimmy' from your nudging video #2 for the first time finally! What exhilaration in making it work!
    Love the videos!

Thats awesome, on which game did you do it? Its a very difficult move...
    Only very good players can execute it depending on the games layout and configuration (rubbers etc.)

cheers

2 months later
    #247 1 year ago
    Quoted from StoneyCreek:

Did the kickstarter campaign ever get launched?

Hey there, unfortunately not. I feel like the project would suffer from the pressure and I'm afraid I can't deliver in time.
    My Idea was to maybe sell a Pinball machine and buy the needed eqipment on my own, but now my car is about to break down and everything is getting very expensive. If I cut down on audio editing and voice over and do everything on my own, I'm gonna need about 7-8K € for equipment. It's not looking good to get that kind of money anytime soon But I keep at it, maybe an oppotunity will come- this often happens in life
    For example I wanted to include classic games, which i have access now.

#248 1 year ago

If someone hasn't voted yet I'd be happy if support me in the "Favorite Pinball YouTube Channel" category.

ALSO dont forget the Favorite Pinball Mod: the Godzilla Skillshot fix from Abe Flips/Lermods which made the game much more enjoyable!

Vote:
    https://twipys.com/2022-twipys-ballot/

Cheers

2 weeks later
    #250 1 year ago
    Quoted from Riefepeters:

Quick shout out to ABE_FLIPS
    The middle school is allowing kids to choose some elective courses…

Thanks for the kind words, nice to see that you maybe get some new people into the hobby
    So far you are already the second one who uses the clips for educational reasons

Just a little update, I now started to write the new skirpt for the "tutorial film". I have great ideas so far but I'm a littlebit stuck on the structure of the tutorial. Each technique can get very deep on it`s own and exceeds with other techniques and I don't want to scare away newcomers with the depth of the tutorial.

As an example, I want to start with basic stuff like aiming but there are so many complex things i want to include, like delayed flips, shots on the fly, backhand shots, different ball speeds, occuring problems like inlane ball hop and how to handle it etc. The thing is, I dont want to cut the theniques into different pieces for beginners and intermediate for example, because it will get too confusing/unclear. Any idea?

#252 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinball_Eddie:

Perhaps instead of using the terms beginner and intermediate, maybe have sections like basic and advanced. However for any basic techniques that could expand\include into advanced techniques, maybe mention those advanced technique terms and then reference where those sections are or have a quick link to them.
    Don’t know if that makes sense, hard to explain.
    Too bad a supplement to your book\guide couldn’t be what Multimorphic was going to come out with to help the player learn skills. This platform can auto feed balls to specific locations repeatedly and in a consistent way and the screen can then illustrate the technique and I’m sure it could even be programmed to do an automatic demonstration with the flippers before then letting the player try themselves. The game was called “Wizard Pinball Trainer”, however I’m sure the majority of people wouldn’t buy a P3 just for this, but again could be a supplement to those who already have the platform and future owners. Below is a thread that has a very early prototype video demonstration:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-trainer#post-6402018
    Thanks for all you do ABE_FLIPS , your videos thus far have truly been very helpful.

The problem with the "expand/include and references" it will split the technique in parts and makes it confusing IMO.
    I have not found a proper way of pleasing everyone here. Sure I could make two completely different videos for beginners and advanced, but that might too much work for one person.

Regarding the multimorphic machine, I found that video too, but it seems they didn't go deeper into it. Would be cool to see an advanced version of it.

#254 1 year ago

Absaroka_Flipper thanks for the input and the kind words, I'll take that into account!

And when I think about it... the already existing videos should be solid enough, even for beginners.

#257 1 year ago
    Quoted from Riefepeters:

Abe, here's how I'm going to use your videos and introduce pinball to middle school kids. Keep in mind it's a fun class, but also "educational" kind of...this may or may not help you think about how you want to organize or approach your expanded videos.
    The first item on the agenda is to get kids to conclude that pinball is a game of skill, not a game of luck, and that it's more than just keeping the ball in play! So I've structured the learnings or overview of pinball into 4 key themes or areas of discussion around utilizing that skill to achieve a higher score or to get further into a game.
    1. Know the rules / know the game / know where to shoot
    2. Know how to aim and make those shots
    3. know how to control the ball and set up those shots
    4. Know how to stop the ball from draining when poop is hitting the fan
    I've got 4 days with kids at 1.5 hours each day. I'm covering topics 1&2 on day 1, topic 3 on day 2, topic 4 on day 3, and day 4 is pingolf and stall ball and free play (there is also free play and skill practice on days 1/2/3...)
    1. KNOW THE RULES (your videos don't cover this today)
    Every game has a different story and a different ruleset. Different shots and series of shots advance modes or multiballs or create jackpot shots. You've got to know and understand that progression in the game youre playing so you know where to shoot. And many modern games have different ways to approach, so you've got to know the rules to determine how you want to strategicially approach that game...and therefore where to shoot!
    2. KNOW HOW TO MAKE THE SHOTS
    your video: Aiming
    This is all about geometry and flipper/ball interaction. The ball can actually go where you want it to go!
    3. KNOW HOW TO CONTROL THE BALL TO MAKE THE SHOTS
    your videos: (in progression from basic to more advanced skills) Dead bounce, ski pass, post pass, drop catch, live catch, micro flips
    This is all about being able to control the ball so that you can take advantage of the geometry and make the shots you're intending! It's about the "offensive" plays in pinball to make the shots.
    4. KNOW HOW TO KEEP THE BALL ALIVE!
    your videos: (in progression from basic to more advanced) shielding, slap save, nudging
    This is all about playing defense. Inevitably, either because a shot was missed or because a shot was required to hit a drop or standup...the ball will randomize, and this is all about playing defense to keep the ball alive until you can apply some offensive ball control
    To me, organizing content along those 4 lines helps to introduce somebody into pinball taking them from "you just dont want the ball to disappear...right?" to "wow...this is actually a skillful game of strategy!" So it might make sense to group you skills into these buckets. I like the ideas you have of taking some of these skills deeper and deeper. you're right, theres a ton on aiming you can explore. I think you can make a video that goes totally advanced and deep on each of these skills. But then it would be pretty easy to cut or edit about 90 seconds from each skill to create a "beginner" intro series...or a singular 5 minute beginner intro which goes through all of this in progression of these skills. In the full beginner intro...maybe you you only cover basic aiming/geometry; dead bounce/skipass/post pass/drop catch; shielding/slapsave/basic nudging -- and thats enough to tell the story to someone new. But that content is kind of repeated in each of the deeper more advanced skill dives.
    Good luck in your efforts. Your vids are awesome!

Thanks for taking the time and showing your approach, nice project- love it!
    Your idea of making a second tutorial for beginners is nice and i thought about that, but it is not as simple as you might think.
    There is so much more work involved (new script german/english, new voice over recording, clip transitions/effect rendering).
    And since I'm alone thats too much right now in my head. But I want to outsource some things like audio FX (super slowmotion doesn't record audio) and voice over.

Anyway, I decided that I'll do one very deep video tutorial, which hopefully will become THE go to "guidebook" for pinball.
    Eventually I also will make a book out of this later. However, If I'm bored after that I really consider your idea for a cut down beginners guide
    Of corse my future plans might change during the course gg.

Just to give you a little impression on the first chapter "Aiming & Shooting":
    • General Rules for Aiming
    • General Rule for Ball Speed
    • Shots from a Cradle
    • Shots from an Inlane Feed
    • Eye focus and timing/rhythm
    • Upper Flipper shots
    • On-the-Fly shots
    • On-the-Fly vs Stop and go
    • soft flips/ damage control
    • Flipper hop
    • Flipperfading
    • Flipperalignment
    • Practice

3 weeks later
    #259 1 year ago
    Quoted from Riefepeters:

Day 1 of pinball camp complete. The crew learned about geometry and aiming today from Abe Flips. Really great vid.
    Tomorrow this crew will focus on ball control and some offensive maneuvers.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Wow, just awesome to see kids learning about pinball
    That should be a compulsory subject in school hehehe let me know how the feedback was afterwards!

For those who don't know, right now the PinClash Online Tournament Qualification did start. This time on Godzilla!
    You need to play a 1-Ball game and try to get the biggest Tokyo Carnage Bonus possible.
    If you are interested here you find all the information needed https://www.pinclashtourney.com/

Here is my first submission with 716 million points
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1745121237

...and a casual 6 Bil King of the Monsters follow up game
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1745094041

3 months later
    #263 11 months ago
    Quoted from HooperTriplett:

I'm reminded of the caution "Don't let perfect be the enemy of good."

Thanks for the reminder, i know that too well

2 months later
    #264 8 months ago

Little update, I'm already working on the new Tutorial and got into the flow.
    Also some classics and ultrawide bodies will be featured

future spa (resized).jpgfuture spa (resized).jpg
    #268 8 months ago
    Quoted from AssaultSuit:

I watch them again every month or two and gain more insight after getting more hands on experience. I understand more of what you’re showing with each viewing. Great stuff!

thank for the feedback, appreciate it!

This happend today during the recordings gg

2 weeks later
    #271 7 months ago
    Quoted from Frezzno:

Awsome to here that this did not die out!
    Is this thread the best way to get update about your project or is there other places aswell?

I will start a kickstarter page or something similar with more frequent updates. The link will be posted here, but important stuff will always be here too.

1 month later
    #272 6 months ago

Hey there,
    here is my TOP 5 Pinball list including a teaser for the upcoming tutorial.

#274 6 months ago

I'm glad you enjoed it, thanks!

1 week later
    #275 5 months ago

I often see those loose Lockbars, check this out!

#277 5 months ago

here is the newest playthrough of Legends of Valhalla from American Pinball.
    Including both wizard modes. (contains german & english language)

1 month later
    #278 4 months ago

English language starts @32:00 if you're intersted

Here a quick nudge tutorial

cheers

3 weeks later
    #279 3 months ago

Hey there, here is Queen from Pinball Brothers, hope you enjoy it.
    Gamplay starts out english and gets german later.

2 weeks later
    #280 3 months ago

Hey there, here's some gameplay of JJP's The Godfather.
    After initial difficulties, I managed to get the hang of the pinball machine.
    It's always exciting for me to play a new machne and put my skills to the test and refine them.
    Once again, a big thanks to RS-Pinball for providing the pinball machine!

Here, I've compiled all the drains from two evenings to learn from my mistakes.
    It's interesting to see how I struggle and how I could have easily prevented some ball drains, especially the ones in the middle:

And here's a full game from the second evening, where you can see a bit more control:
    (English mixed with German in this stream again)

1 week later
    #282 83 days ago
    Quoted from Jblock22:

Hey Abe just wanted to post that I came across your YT channel a few months ago and like someone else on here mentioned refer back to and rewatch them once a month or so. All the videos are very well done and being in video production I love the high quality and appreciate the time and energy you put into not only shooting but also the editing side of it. Bravo.
    Got my first home pin a few month ago as well (TMNT 2020) and my wife has taken a liking to the hobby now as well. She's still pretty timid as far as nudging and what-not but I liked your videos so much that as I was showing them to her I thought it might be cool/helpful if you created a playlist on Youtube of what you would consider your "recommended viewing order' for your skills tutorials.
    To be more specific, the order you would recommend a novice watch the videos in to get "break them in" with the most basic / useful techniques and then work them up through each subsequent video.
    Haven't seen any new skills videos in a bit so hope you're not done making them! I've recommended your "play in the background skills video" to a few of my local pincades and they've been very receptive to it!

Hey Jblock thanks for taking the time for the feedback!
    If you check out the channel, i have exactly the playlist you are asking for. Even in regard of the viewing order. It's called
    "Pinball Skills [English]"
    https://www.youtube.com/@AbeFlips/playlists

Anyway it's not easy to get everything in order, since you can deep dive into every technique, however this order seems to make sense. Regarding upcoming stuff, I'm still working on the big tutorial which should be released end of this year, despite my recent elbow inflamation. I would say I have recorded about 2/3 and edited about 1/3 of the footage right now.

In the meantime you can check out the shorts and streams on youtube, or catch me live on twitch with chat
    (when my elbow did heal) https://www.twitch.tv/abe_flips

cheers

1 month later
    #286 30 days ago

Hey there,
    here is some Spooky Pinball Halloween gameplay.
    I was sceptical in the beginning but it turned out to be a nice experience.
    However, I have had to cool the coils with a fan, otherwise I would have gotten alot of right ramp rejects.

Stay tuned for the next weeks, BIG anouncement is on the way

*(excuse the messed up chat window, twitch was failing and I tried to fix it)

#291 27 days ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

Man I tried to upvote Abe, but I’m being ignored . Someone tell him “great videos” from me .

gg Remember, I was triggered by your "space_" before "." at the end of your sentences. I asked you why you are doing this, and you said I should ignore you. I see, nothing has changed
    Anyway, thank you!

#292 27 days ago

gg Remember, I was triggered by your "space_" before "." at the end of your sentences. I asked you why you are doing this, and you said I should ignore you. I see, nothing has changed
    Anyway, thank you!

Riefepeters
    That's awesome man, keep it going!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ABE_FLIPS.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinball-skills-tutorial-videos?tu=ABE_FLIPS and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.