(Topic ID: 290261)

New pinball skills tutorial videos

By ABE_FLIPS

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8521 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8535 (resized).jpeg
    future spa (resized).jpg
    A9F64D97-061A-40B4-9978-236BBD7BA6A6 (resized).jpeg
    CECADAA8-FCF9-46C7-B522-7F1DA4833855 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20220726-131759 (resized).png
    location loop (resized).png
    TWIPYs21 (resized).jpg
    skipass (resized).jpg
    001 (resized).png
    Unbenannt01 (resized).png
    Unbenannt02 (resized).png
    There are 296 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.
    #251 1 year ago
    Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

Thanks for the kind words, nice to see that you maybe get some new people into the hobby
    So far you are already the second one who uses the clips for educational reasons
    Just a little update, I now started to write the new skirpt for the "tutorial film". I have great ideas so far but I'm a littlebit stuck on the structure of the tutorial. Each technique can get very deep on it`s own and exceeds with other techniques and I don't want to scare away newcomers with the depth of the tutorial.
    As an example, I want to start with basic stuff like aiming but there are so many complex things i want to include, like delayed flips, shots on the fly, backhand shots, different ball speeds, occuring problems like inlane ball hop and how to handle it etc. The thing is, I dont want to cut the theniques into different pieces for beginners and intermediate for example, because it will get too confusing/unclear. Any idea?

Perhaps instead of using the terms beginner and intermediate, maybe have sections like basic and advanced. However for any basic techniques that could expand\include into advanced techniques, maybe mention those advanced technique terms and then reference where those sections are or have a quick link to them.

Don’t know if that makes sense, hard to explain.

Too bad a supplement to your book\guide couldn’t be what Multimorphic was going to come out with to help the player learn skills. This platform can auto feed balls to specific locations repeatedly and in a consistent way and the screen can then illustrate the technique and I’m sure it could even be programmed to do an automatic demonstration with the flippers before then letting the player try themselves. The game was called “Wizard Pinball Trainer”, however I’m sure the majority of people wouldn’t buy a P3 just for this, but again could be a supplement to those who already have the platform and future owners. Below is a thread that has a very early prototype video demonstration:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-trainer#post-6402018

Thanks for all you do ABE_FLIPS , your videos thus far have truly been very helpful.

#252 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinball_Eddie:

Perhaps instead of using the terms beginner and intermediate, maybe have sections like basic and advanced. However for any basic techniques that could expand\include into advanced techniques, maybe mention those advanced technique terms and then reference where those sections are or have a quick link to them.
    Don’t know if that makes sense, hard to explain.
    Too bad a supplement to your book\guide couldn’t be what Multimorphic was going to come out with to help the player learn skills. This platform can auto feed balls to specific locations repeatedly and in a consistent way and the screen can then illustrate the technique and I’m sure it could even be programmed to do an automatic demonstration with the flippers before then letting the player try themselves. The game was called “Wizard Pinball Trainer”, however I’m sure the majority of people wouldn’t buy a P3 just for this, but again could be a supplement to those who already have the platform and future owners. Below is a thread that has a very early prototype video demonstration:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-trainer#post-6402018
    Thanks for all you do ABE_FLIPS , your videos thus far have truly been very helpful.

The problem with the "expand/include and references" it will split the technique in parts and makes it confusing IMO.
    I have not found a proper way of pleasing everyone here. Sure I could make two completely different videos for beginners and advanced, but that might too much work for one person.

Regarding the multimorphic machine, I found that video too, but it seems they didn't go deeper into it. Would be cool to see an advanced version of it.

#253 1 year ago

I've lingered around Pinside for a while before creating a profile. I've watched, re-watched, and shared your videos ABE_FLIPS - great stuff. Really excited to hear that you're working on something more at length and in-depth as well.

I wouldn't overthink the video-format. You're making a pinball skills documentary. The people that are going to watch it are looking for detailed and advanced content in the first-place. Include the basic stuff, as you would, but don't shy away from going deep and elaborating on advanced skills in the "tutorial films".

I'm not sure you should worry about intimidating a "beginner player." What is intimidating is watching someone absolutely slay but not explain what they're doing. It can make a beginner feel like they just had a really lucky ball. But you don't know what you don't know. An advanced tutorial film that starts with the basics allows the beginner to understand why a good player stays on the table longer. They might not master a given technique right away, but they'll have the knowledge from your video regarding the logic of the mechanics to rely on and that, by itself, is empowering. To feel empowered is to reduce intimidation.

Make the "tutorial film" you want to make, as in-depth as you want to make it. If it proves to be a bit too cerebral to grasp, well that just creates an opportunity for more short-films down to road! Thanks for your contribution to the pinball community, you've already made this hobby more accessible to many.

#254 1 year ago

Absaroka_Flipper thanks for the input and the kind words, I'll take that into account!

And when I think about it... the already existing videos should be solid enough, even for beginners.

#255 1 year ago
    Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

Sure I could make two completely different videos for beginners and advanced, but that might too much work for one person

Abe, here's how I'm going to use your videos and introduce pinball to middle school kids. Keep in mind it's a fun class, but also "educational" kind of...this may or may not help you think about how you want to organize or approach your expanded videos.

The first item on the agenda is to get kids to conclude that pinball is a game of skill, not a game of luck, and that it's more than just keeping the ball in play! So I've structured the learnings or overview of pinball into 4 key themes or areas of discussion around utilizing that skill to achieve a higher score or to get further into a game.

1. Know the rules / know the game / know where to shoot
    2. Know how to aim and make those shots
    3. know how to control the ball and set up those shots
    4. Know how to stop the ball from draining when poop is hitting the fan

I've got 4 days with kids at 1.5 hours each day. I'm covering topics 1&2 on day 1, topic 3 on day 2, topic 4 on day 3, and day 4 is pingolf and stall ball and free play (there is also free play and skill practice on days 1/2/3...)

1. KNOW THE RULES (your videos don't cover this today)
    Every game has a different story and a different ruleset. Different shots and series of shots advance modes or multiballs or create jackpot shots. You've got to know and understand that progression in the game youre playing so you know where to shoot. And many modern games have different ways to approach, so you've got to know the rules to determine how you want to strategicially approach that game...and therefore where to shoot!

2. KNOW HOW TO MAKE THE SHOTS
    your video: Aiming
    This is all about geometry and flipper/ball interaction. The ball can actually go where you want it to go!

3. KNOW HOW TO CONTROL THE BALL TO MAKE THE SHOTS
    your videos: (in progression from basic to more advanced skills) Dead bounce, ski pass, post pass, drop catch, live catch, micro flips
    This is all about being able to control the ball so that you can take advantage of the geometry and make the shots you're intending! It's about the "offensive" plays in pinball to make the shots.

4. KNOW HOW TO KEEP THE BALL ALIVE!
    your videos: (in progression from basic to more advanced) shielding, slap save, nudging
    This is all about playing defense. Inevitably, either because a shot was missed or because a shot was required to hit a drop or standup...the ball will randomize, and this is all about playing defense to keep the ball alive until you can apply some offensive ball control

To me, organizing content along those 4 lines helps to introduce somebody into pinball taking them from "you just dont want the ball to disappear...right?" to "wow...this is actually a skillful game of strategy!" So it might make sense to group you skills into these buckets. I like the ideas you have of taking some of these skills deeper and deeper. you're right, theres a ton on aiming you can explore. I think you can make a video that goes totally advanced and deep on each of these skills. But then it would be pretty easy to cut or edit about 90 seconds from each skill to create a "beginner" intro series...or a singular 5 minute beginner intro which goes through all of this in progression of these skills. In the full beginner intro...maybe you you only cover basic aiming/geometry; dead bounce/skipass/post pass/drop catch; shielding/slapsave/basic nudging -- and thats enough to tell the story to someone new. But that content is kind of repeated in each of the deeper more advanced skill dives.

Good luck in your efforts. Your vids are awesome!

#256 1 year ago
    Quoted from Riefepeters:

Abe, here's how I'm going to use your videos and introduce pinball to middle school kids. Keep in mind it's a fun class, but also "educational" kind of...this may or may not help you think about how you want to organize or approach your expanded videos.
    The first item on the agenda is to get kids to conclude that pinball is a game of skill, not a game of luck, and that it's more than just keeping the ball in play! So I've structured the learnings or overview of pinball into 4 key themes or areas of discussion around utilizing that skill to achieve a higher score or to get further into a game.
    I've got 4 days with kids at 1.5 hours each day. I'm covering topics 1&2 on day 1, topic 3 on day 2, topic 4 on day 3, and day 4 is pingolf and stall ball and free play (there is also free play and skill practice on days 1/2/3...)
    Every game has a different story and a different ruleset. Different shots and series of shots advance modes or multiballs or create jackpot shots. You've got to know and understand that progression in the game youre playing so you know where to shoot. And many modern games have different ways to approach, so you've got to know the rules to determine how you want to strategicially approach that game...and therefore where to shoot!
    This is all about geometry and flipper/ball interaction. The ball can actually go where you want it to go!
    your videos: (in progression from basic to more advanced skills) Dead bounce, ski pass, post pass, drop catch, live catch, micro flips
    This is all about being able to control the ball so that you can take advantage of the geometry and make the shots you're intending! It's about the "offensive" plays in pinball to make the shots.
    your videos: (in progression from basic to more advanced) shielding, slap save, nudging
    This is all about playing defense. Inevitably, either because a shot was missed or because a shot was required to hit a drop or standup...the ball will randomize, and this is all about playing defense to keep the ball alive until you can apply some offensive ball control
    To me, organizing content along those 4 lines helps to introduce somebody into pinball taking them from "you just dont want the ball to disappear...right?" to "wow...this is actually a skillful game of strategy!" So it might make sense to group you skills into these buckets. I like the ideas you have of taking some of these skills deeper and deeper. you're right, theres a ton on aiming you can explore. I think you can make a video that goes totally advanced and deep on each of these skills. But then it would be pretty easy to cut or edit about 90 seconds from each skill to create a "beginner" intro series...or a singular 5 minute beginner intro which goes through all of this in progression of these skills. In the full beginner intro...maybe you you only cover basic aiming/geometry; dead bounce/skipass/post pass/drop catch; shielding/slapsave/basic nudging -- and thats enough to tell the story to someone new. But that content is kind of repeated in each of the deeper more advanced skill dives.

Wow this framework and structure is so helpful even to me. Great post to complement the videos.

#257 1 year ago
    Quoted from Riefepeters:

Thanks for taking the time and showing your approach, nice project- love it!
    Your idea of making a second tutorial for beginners is nice and i thought about that, but it is not as simple as you might think.
    There is so much more work involved (new script german/english, new voice over recording, clip transitions/effect rendering).
    And since I'm alone thats too much right now in my head. But I want to outsource some things like audio FX (super slowmotion doesn't record audio) and voice over.

Anyway, I decided that I'll do one very deep video tutorial, which hopefully will become THE go to "guidebook" for pinball.
    Eventually I also will make a book out of this later. However, If I'm bored after that I really consider your idea for a cut down beginners guide
    Of corse my future plans might change during the course gg.

Just to give you a little impression on the first chapter "Aiming & Shooting":
    • General Rules for Aiming
    • General Rule for Ball Speed
    • Shots from a Cradle
    • Shots from an Inlane Feed
    • Eye focus and timing/rhythm
    • Upper Flipper shots
    • On-the-Fly shots
    • On-the-Fly vs Stop and go
    • soft flips/ damage control
    • Flipper hop
    • Flipperfading
    • Flipperalignment
    • Practice

3 weeks later
    #258 1 year ago

Day 1 of pinball camp complete. The crew learned about geometry and aiming today from Abe Flips. Really great vid.

Tomorrow this crew will focus on ball control and some offensive maneuvers.

A9F64D97-061A-40B4-9978-236BBD7BA6A6 (resized).jpegA9F64D97-061A-40B4-9978-236BBD7BA6A6 (resized).jpegCECADAA8-FCF9-46C7-B522-7F1DA4833855 (resized).jpegCECADAA8-FCF9-46C7-B522-7F1DA4833855 (resized).jpeg
    #259 1 year ago
    Quoted from Riefepeters:

Day 1 of pinball camp complete. The crew learned about geometry and aiming today from Abe Flips. Really great vid.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Wow, just awesome to see kids learning about pinball
    That should be a compulsory subject in school hehehe let me know how the feedback was afterwards!

For those who don't know, right now the PinClash Online Tournament Qualification did start. This time on Godzilla!
    You need to play a 1-Ball game and try to get the biggest Tokyo Carnage Bonus possible.
    If you are interested here you find all the information needed https://www.pinclashtourney.com/

Here is my first submission with 716 million points
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1745121237

...and a casual 6 Bil King of the Monsters follow up game
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1745094041

#260 1 year ago
    Quoted from Riefepeters:

This is awesome!

As you teach this, be sure to highlight that EARLIER IS BETTER in terms of doing something defensive to prevent the ball from draining. The most common are:
    - upward nudging as soon as the ball gets anywhere outside the top of the sling (or at the top of the sling), and not waiting for the ball to already be "in" the top of the outlane requiring a more difficult and more tilt-inducing sideways move
    - nudging when the ball is still in contact with a "higher" portion of the playfield to prevent a usual path SDTM, toward an outlane, or toward a sling -- always influence the ball to go to the flippers.

3 months later
    #261 11 months ago
    Quoted from Riefepeters:

[quoted image][quoted image]

I want to enroll!

#262 11 months ago
    Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

Thanks for taking the time and showing your approach, nice project- love it!
    Your idea of making a second tutorial for beginners is nice and i thought about that, but it is not as simple as you might think.
    There is so much more work involved (new script german/english, new voice over recording, clip transitions/effect rendering).
    And since I'm alone thats too much right now in my head. But I want to outsource some things like audio FX (super slowmotion doesn't record audio) and voice over.
    Anyway, I decided that I'll do one very deep video tutorial, which hopefully will become THE go to "guidebook" for pinball.
    Eventually I also will make a book out of this later. However, If I'm bored after that I really consider your idea for a cut down beginners guide
    Of corse my future plans might change during the course gg.
    Just to give you a little impression on the first chapter "Aiming & Shooting":
    • General Rules for Aiming
    • General Rule for Ball Speed
    • Shots from a Cradle
    • Shots from an Inlane Feed
    • Eye focus and timing/rhythm
    • Upper Flipper shots
    • On-the-Fly shots
    • On-the-Fly vs Stop and go
    • soft flips/ damage control
    • Flipper hop
    • Flipperfading
    • Flipperalignment
    • Practice

I'm reminded of the caution "Don't let perfect be the enemy of good."

#263 10 months ago
    Quoted from HooperTriplett:

I'm reminded of the caution "Don't let perfect be the enemy of good."

Thanks for the reminder, i know that too well

2 months later
    #264 8 months ago

Little update, I'm already working on the new Tutorial and got into the flow.
    Also some classics and ultrawide bodies will be featured

future spa (resized).jpgfuture spa (resized).jpg
    #265 8 months ago

Nice just what this new guy to the hobby needed.

#266 8 months ago

always great vids. Looking forward to seeing what’s released.

#267 8 months ago

Abe, your videos are shot and edited so well that I watch them again every month or two and gain more insight after getting more hands on experience. I understand more of what you’re showing with each viewing. Great stuff!

#268 8 months ago
    Quoted from AssaultSuit:

I watch them again every month or two and gain more insight after getting more hands on experience. I understand more of what you’re showing with each viewing. Great stuff!

thank for the feedback, appreciate it!

This happend today during the recordings gg

#269 8 months ago

Wow.... what are you calling that move? "Just the Tip"

2 weeks later
    #270 7 months ago
    Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

Little update, I'm already working on the new Tutorial and got into the flow.
    Also some classics and ultrawide bodies will be featured [quoted image]

Awsome to here that this did not die out!
    Is this thread the best way to get update about your project or is there other places aswell?

#271 7 months ago
    Quoted from Frezzno:

Awsome to here that this did not die out!
    Is this thread the best way to get update about your project or is there other places aswell?

I will start a kickstarter page or something similar with more frequent updates. The link will be posted here, but important stuff will always be here too.

1 month later
    #272 6 months ago

Hey there,
    here is my TOP 5 Pinball list including a teaser for the upcoming tutorial.

#273 6 months ago

Well produced an good tempo on that video! Interesting mix of machines aswell.

#274 6 months ago

I'm glad you enjoed it, thanks!

1 week later
    #275 5 months ago

I often see those loose Lockbars, check this out!

#276 5 months ago

Thank you for producing these videos Abe .They are very well done .I’ve been watching them ,applying them ,and things a finally clicking .There is no doubt I’m finally moving forward in a big way .

#277 5 months ago

here is the newest playthrough of Legends of Valhalla from American Pinball.
    Including both wizard modes. (contains german & english language)

1 month later
    #278 4 months ago

English language starts @32:00 if you're intersted

Here a quick nudge tutorial

cheers

3 weeks later
    #279 3 months ago

Hey there, here is Queen from Pinball Brothers, hope you enjoy it.
    Gamplay starts out english and gets german later.

2 weeks later
    #280 3 months ago

Hey there, here's some gameplay of JJP's The Godfather.
    After initial difficulties, I managed to get the hang of the pinball machine.
    It's always exciting for me to play a new machne and put my skills to the test and refine them.
    Once again, a big thanks to RS-Pinball for providing the pinball machine!

Here, I've compiled all the drains from two evenings to learn from my mistakes.
    It's interesting to see how I struggle and how I could have easily prevented some ball drains, especially the ones in the middle:

And here's a full game from the second evening, where you can see a bit more control:
    (English mixed with German in this stream again)

1 week later
    #281 82 days ago

Hey Abe just wanted to post that I came across your YT channel a few months ago and like someone else on here mentioned refer back to and rewatch them once a month or so. All the videos are very well done and being in video production I love the high quality and appreciate the time and energy you put into not only shooting but also the editing side of it. Bravo.

Got my first home pin a few month ago as well (TMNT 2020) and my wife has taken a liking to the hobby now as well. She's still pretty timid as far as nudging and what-not but I liked your videos so much that as I was showing them to her I thought it might be cool/helpful if you created a playlist on Youtube of what you would consider your "recommended viewing order' for your skills tutorials.

To be more specific, the order you would recommend a novice watch the videos in to get "break them in" with the most basic / useful techniques and then work them up through each subsequent video.

Haven't seen any new skills videos in a bit so hope you're not done making them! I've recommended your "play in the background skills video" to a few of my local pincades and they've been very receptive to it!

#282 81 days ago
    Quoted from Jblock22:

Hey Abe just wanted to post that I came across your YT channel a few months ago and like someone else on here mentioned refer back to and rewatch them once a month or so. All the videos are very well done and being in video production I love the high quality and appreciate the time and energy you put into not only shooting but also the editing side of it. Bravo.
    Got my first home pin a few month ago as well (TMNT 2020) and my wife has taken a liking to the hobby now as well. She's still pretty timid as far as nudging and what-not but I liked your videos so much that as I was showing them to her I thought it might be cool/helpful if you created a playlist on Youtube of what you would consider your "recommended viewing order' for your skills tutorials.
    To be more specific, the order you would recommend a novice watch the videos in to get "break them in" with the most basic / useful techniques and then work them up through each subsequent video.
    Haven't seen any new skills videos in a bit so hope you're not done making them! I've recommended your "play in the background skills video" to a few of my local pincades and they've been very receptive to it!

Hey Jblock thanks for taking the time for the feedback!
    If you check out the channel, i have exactly the playlist you are asking for. Even in regard of the viewing order. It's called
    "Pinball Skills [English]"
    https://www.youtube.com/@AbeFlips/playlists

Anyway it's not easy to get everything in order, since you can deep dive into every technique, however this order seems to make sense. Regarding upcoming stuff, I'm still working on the big tutorial which should be released end of this year, despite my recent elbow inflamation. I would say I have recorded about 2/3 and edited about 1/3 of the footage right now.

In the meantime you can check out the shorts and streams on youtube, or catch me live on twitch with chat
    (when my elbow did heal) https://www.twitch.tv/abe_flips

cheers

#283 81 days ago

Abe, I have really enjoyed your channel being new to the hobby. Also your work is exceptionally high quaility, thaks for sharing your knowledge.

#284 81 days ago

Some of those center drains were hard to watch. The one that kills me the most is catching it right on the tip and then just watching it drain. Those anger me more than anything. Well, maybe not as much as up the inlane and down the outlane

#285 76 days ago

Me too! Although I've been playing machines since as a rug-rat, always learn something new!

1 month later
    #286 28 days ago

Hey there,
    here is some Spooky Pinball Halloween gameplay.
    I was sceptical in the beginning but it turned out to be a nice experience.
    However, I have had to cool the coils with a fan, otherwise I would have gotten alot of right ramp rejects.

Stay tuned for the next weeks, BIG anouncement is on the way

*(excuse the messed up chat window, twitch was failing and I tried to fix it)

#287 26 days ago

Annual pinball week long class with Abe Flips vids…

IMG_8521 (resized).jpegIMG_8521 (resized).jpegIMG_8535 (resized).jpegIMG_8535 (resized).jpeg
    #288 26 days ago

Man I tried to upvote Abe, but I’m being ignored . Someone tell him “great videos” from me .

#289 26 days ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

Man I tried to upvote Abe, but I’m being ignored . Someone tell him “great videos” from me .

No.

He's got good instincts.

#290 25 days ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

If only you hadn't gotten rid of both Rush and GnR maybe I'd consider it, sorry, but that's going just too far.... unrecoverable.

#291 25 days ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

gg Remember, I was triggered by your "space_" before "." at the end of your sentences. I asked you why you are doing this, and you said I should ignore you. I see, nothing has changed
    Anyway, thank you!

#292 25 days ago

gg Remember, I was triggered by your "space_" before "." at the end of your sentences. I asked you why you are doing this, and you said I should ignore you. I see, nothing has changed
    Anyway, thank you!

Riefepeters
    That's awesome man, keep it going!

#293 25 days ago

Hall-of-fame exchange right here.

#295 24 days ago
    Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

Anyway, thank you!

It was on purpose.

#296 20 days ago
    Quoted from Riefepeters:

Annual pinball week long class with Abe Flips vids…[quoted image][quoted image]

Wish something like that was offered around here

There are 296 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinball-skills-tutorial-videos/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.