(Topic ID: 290261)

New pinball skills tutorial videos

By ABE_FLIPS

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8521 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_8535 (resized).jpeg
    future spa (resized).jpg
    A9F64D97-061A-40B4-9978-236BBD7BA6A6 (resized).jpeg
    CECADAA8-FCF9-46C7-B522-7F1DA4833855 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20220726-131759 (resized).png
    location loop (resized).png
    TWIPYs21 (resized).jpg
    skipass (resized).jpg
    001 (resized).png
    Unbenannt01 (resized).png
    Unbenannt02 (resized).png
    There are 296 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.
    #152 2 years ago

You got my vote! Keep up the great work.

#153 2 years ago

Voted too.

I'm looking forward to your part 2 of the nudging video.

#154 2 years ago

Likewise got my vote, I love your content.

#155 2 years ago

OP -

Thank you for the videos. Just got into pinball and they been incredibly helpful. Glad to see you here to say thanks. (don't have a YouTube acct)

#156 2 years ago

Voted for you

#157 2 years ago

Thanks for all your support! The voting isn`t over yet, gogogo
    https://twipys.com/2021-twipys-ballot/

I am having rendering issues with the latest video, but its all done, can`t take much longer!
    In the meantime an upload from my last live stream, thanks for hanging out!

#158 2 years ago

Hey there,

here is the second nudging part, please let me know how you like it and if there are more questions regarding nudging, because there might be a 3rd part in the future.

Also please don't forget to vote for me at the TWIPYs. It's open until the 17th of January and i really appreciate every vote

I wasn't able to finish the thumbnail in time, don't take the placeholder too serious

#159 2 years ago

Very nice as always. I’m going to rewatch it and study it a bit closer.

Keep in mind that two tilt warnings is a feature of modern pins and can be adjusted. Some older pins have zero tilt warnings.

#160 2 years ago
    Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

Hey there,
    here is the second nudging part, please let me know how you like it and if there are more questions regarding nudging, because there might be a 3rd part in the future.
    Also please don't forget to vote for me at the TWIPYs. It's open until the 17th of January and i really appreciate every vote
    I wasn't able to finish the thumbnail in time, don't take the placeholder too serious

Dude that thumbnail is perfect

#161 2 years ago

Unreal… so good!!

#162 2 years ago

Fantastic! I have a lot of friends who are new to the hobby and I’m constantly sending these videos. Nudging is the only thing I do well (out of necessity).

#163 2 years ago
    Quoted from daveyvandy:

Dude that thumbnail is perfect

Thanks, but I like the new one better, went all out for it

#164 2 years ago

Here's a virtual high-five for your comedy chops -- that slo-mo stare during the "wicked shimmy" section is gold. Just part of what makes these so well done. Nice job!

#165 2 years ago
    Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

Thanks, but I like the new one better, went all out for it

Yes! The devil eyes

#166 2 years ago
    Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

Hey there,

I love the style in these videos. The knowledge is great too but I love how you shoot and edit as well.

Here's a request, can you talk about the range of the flipper and the area it covers? What I mean is when is it better to flip, not flip, or hold the flipper up to prevent a center drain? Is it always a bad idea to hit the flippers at the same time? Does that increase the chances of the ball going between them? I'm interested in how the flipper covers the center in different positions. For example is the flipper further into the center lane when it's at the top position, bottom or halfway through the stroke? Or is it the same?

#167 2 years ago
    Quoted from Anony:

I love the style in these videos. The knowledge is great too but I love how you shoot and edit as well.
    Here's a request, can you talk about the range of the flipper and the area it covers? What I mean is when is it better to flip, not flip, or hold the flipper up to prevent a center drain? Is it always a bad idea to hit the flippers at the same time? Does that increase the chances of the ball going between them? I'm interested in how the flipper covers the center in different positions. For example is the flipper further into the center lane when it's at the top position, bottom or halfway through the stroke? Or is it the same?

Wow you hit the Jackpot... the next video will be "how to protect the center"!
    That will include all the angles and also slingshot action, a very important part.

Regarding when to shoot... Part 2 of "Aiming and Shooting" will also come, but it could take some time to get there. It will include on the fly shots.

Another thing would be- which technique should be used when. I decided that I want to show every technique on its own at first before I put everything together. For example, i did explain the best angles for dead bounces, live catches and drop catches (on the fly shots still missing). But in reality its not always as clear because you could need the ball on the opposite flipper for the next shot, that means you could force a risky pass. Or the angle is not good for a live catch but you need the ball on that flipper- so take the risk? etc... for this reason I wanted to record some live gameplay and pick certain situations and explain why i choose one skill over another, similar to the "various examples" in Nudging part 2 with slow motion and agles explained.

So there is much more to come this year and I'm already very excited!

A little advertising, since I get no money for all this you can SHOW YOUR SUPPORT here at the TWIPYs voting on page 2 for "Favorite Pinball YouTube Channel"

Thanks alot

#168 2 years ago

I love all these videos and advice. My only problem is I always figure out what I’m supposed to do a second too late.

#169 2 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

I love all these videos and advice. My only problem is I always figure out what I’m supposed to do a second too late.

Be happy, thats the most important part, and I feel you there
    One thing you can try is to not just let pinball happen in front of you. Get in control, be in the moment and try to anticipate every second as you play and remind yourself of it. Don't get lazy. I'm sure you will get something out of it!

#170 2 years ago
    Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

Wow you hit the Jackpot... the next video will be "how to protect the center"!
    That will include all the angles and also slingshot action, a very important part.
    Regarding when to shoot... Part 2 of "Aiming and Shooting" will also come, but it could take some time to get there. It will include on the fly shots.
    Another thing would be- which technique should be used when. I decided that I want to show every technique on its own at first before I put everything together. For example, i did explain the best angles for dead bounces, live catches and drop catches (on the fly shots still missing). But in reality its not always as clear because you could need the ball on the opposite flipper for the next shot, that means you could force a risky pass. Or the angle is not good for a live catch but you need the ball on that flipper- so take the risk? etc... for this reason I wanted to record some live gameplay and pick certain situations and explain why i choose one skill over another, similar to the "various examples" in Nudging part 2 with slow motion and agles explained.
    So there is much more to come this year and I'm already very excited!
    A little advertising, since I get no money for all this you can SHOW YOUR SUPPORT here at the TWIPYs voting on page 2 for "Favorite Pinball YouTube Channel"
    Thanks alot

Awesome I can't wait to see it.

#171 2 years ago
    Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

anticipate every second as you play and remind yourself of it. Don't get lazy.

This is so key, for me anyways. Every time I let my guard down and get lazy, assuming that ball won’t jump into the outlane, shooting at a scoop on the fly instead of getting the ball under control, shooting half assed into areas I know are dangerous, and the ball drains I call myself a lazy P.O.S. haha.

Also Twippy voted for the fist time.

#172 2 years ago

I just pulled off my first nudge pass and it felt so good. I have Iron Maiden and get a fiar number of center drains off the mummy captive ball and center ramp so this should really help if I can get good at it.

2 weeks later
    #173 2 years ago

Just a short update. I'm waiting for two new machines to arrive for the next videos. (Godzilla & Stranger Things)
    Until then there will be a short production break, but everything is ready to go, so stay tuned

#174 2 years ago
    Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

Just a short update. I'm waiting for two new machines to arrive for the next videos. (Godzilla & Stranger Things)
    Until then there will be a short production break, but everything is ready to go, so stay tuned

Great choices! My wife and I own both and they’re some of our favorites.

We both really enjoy your videos and voted for you on your twipy nomination. Absolute best pinball tutorials on the entire internet. Keep ‘em coming!

#175 2 years ago

Awesome Stranger things is my favorite. Beat it for the first time a few weeks ago. Can’t wait to see the videos.

#176 2 years ago

Thank you for your video.
    Nudging is something I’ve done for ages but I have never done it in a preventative method as you’re describing. And I’m still having troubles with that.
    But also I have never shaken the ball out of the outlanes (amazing! Actually works!) and I’ve also never done the slapping which works incredibly well.

Thank you!
    Now my games gets a hell of a beating!

Also your videos made me start to pass the ball between the flippers more seriously.

2 weeks later
    #178 2 years ago

Stranger Things is going to teach you a few new tricks lol.
    Looking forward to Gz videos

Keep up the awesome work!
    Also, any abe flips merch? I want a hoodie with your logo

#179 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

Stranger Things is going to teach you a few new tricks lol.
    Looking forward to Gz videos
    Keep up the awesome work!
    Also, any abe flips merch? I want a hoodie with your logo

I hope so, learning and integrating the knowledge achieved from new machines into my skillset is always the best part!

Merch? Thats nice to hear, but nothing planned in the near future. However, if anyone is interested I could send you the Transparent GIF file for a print. Just let me know via PM.

cheers

#180 2 years ago
    Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

I hope so, learning and integrating the knowledge achieved from new machines into my skillset is always the best part!
    Merch? Thats nice to hear, but nothing planned in the near future. However, if anyone is interested I could send you the Transparent GIF file for a print. Just let me know via PM.
    cheers

Theres a massive internet store by the name of redbubble who prints designs from artists and gives them a small commission. Stubby holder, t shirt, hat, poster it doesn't matter i don't think.

They have thousands of pinball shirts etc, great service and delivery within days. I shop there for shirts all the time.

Not sure exactly how it works, but you don't have to do anything and you get paid, so that sounds ok.

https://www.redbubble.com/about/selling

2 months later
    #181 1 year ago

Hey there,

since I got some requests from pinball locations for a special video, I put something together. It's meant to motivate new people for pinball and/or to dive deeper into the hobby. You can play it on infinity loop (no adds or video recommendations) and its meant to be played muted. I would be happy if you could share this, if you know someone who owns a pinball location or someone who is hosting a tournament. There are already some shots from the upcoming "Shielding" video included I also updated the subtitles of all my videos, if you want to run them muted on your screens.

If you need OFFLINE PLAYBACK, please send me a PM and i will get you the HQ file!

cheers

#182 1 year ago

ockquote cite="#6742166">

Quoted from ViperTim:

Thank you for your video.
    Nudging is something I’ve done for ages but I have never done it in a preventative method as you’re describing. And I’m still having troubles with that.
    But also I have never shaken the ball out of the outlanes (amazing! Actually works!) and I’ve also never done the slapping which works incredibly well.
    Thank you!
    Now my games gets a hell of a beating!
    Also your videos made me start to pass the ball between the flippers more seriously.

From now on, any time a seller list his games as having very low plays,I think he should also reveal how many times its been slapped.

#183 1 year ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

ockquote cite="#6742166">

From now on, any time a seller list his games as having very low plays,I think he should also reveal how many times its been slapped.

Just the balls?

#184 1 year ago
    Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

Hey there,
    since I got some requests from pinball locations for a special video, I put something together. It's meant to motivate new people for pinball and/or to dive deeper into the hobby. You can play it on infinity loop (no adds or video recommendations) and its meant to be played muted. I would be happy if you could share this, if you know someone who owns a pinball location or someone who is hosting a tournament. There are already some shots from the upcoming "Shielding" video included I also updated the subtitles of all my videos, if you want to run them muted on your screens.
    If you need OFFLINE PLAYBACK, please send me a PM and i will get you the HQ file!
    cheers

Did you win a Twipy? First time voter because of you!!!!

#185 1 year ago

Maybe this is covered in your videos somewhere (I just discovered this thread) - but when is it best to double flip?

I see pros double flip saving the ball from STDM all the time, but still far from perfecting this myself.

#186 1 year ago
    Quoted from gorgar007:

Maybe this is covered in your videos somewhere (I just discovered this thread) - but when is it best to double flip?
    I see pros double flip saving the ball from STDM all the time, but still far from perfecting this myself.

I'd love to see a video on this. This is one of my banes. It seems that when I do, I can save about half the savable balls. And when I don't, I seem to save about half of the savable balls (they are different).

My other problem is I move between eras of games quite a bit. So I constantly mistime my double flips.

And to be specific, I don't mean chimping both flippers. I mean that timing where a ball is close to coming down the middle, and you just time it so that the first flipper nicks the ball just far enough so the second flipper (delayed a bit) comes up and just nicks it as well, deflecting it back up, or to the tip of the first flipper enough to be hit back into play. I guess commonly referred to as a dig.

#187 1 year ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

And to be specific, I don't mean chimping both flippers. I mean that timing where a ball is close to coming down the middle, and you just time it so that the first flipper nicks the ball just far enough so the second flipper (delayed a bit) comes up and just nicks it as well, deflecting it back up, or to the tip of the first flipper enough to be hit back into play. I guess commonly referred to as a dig.

That sounds like you want the slap save video...

#188 1 year ago
    Quoted from scootss:

That sounds like you want the slap save video...

Yeah that seems to be it. Here's a deadflip example which seems to be the same technique

(right at about 3:48)

#190 1 year ago
    Quoted from gorgar007:

Yeah that seems to be it. Here's a deadflip example which seems to be the same technique

Yeah. Definitely it is. You can hear the slap-slap on the cabinet

#191 1 year ago
    Quoted from gorgar007:

Yeah that seems to be it. Here's a deadflip example which seems to be the same technique (right at about 3:48)

Yes yall are talking about the slap save (double).
    Depending on the balls speed and angle of incidence the slaps may vary, so that it can look like a simultaneous flip, especially on fast balls! Also depending on the playstyle. Excepting slap saves you should avoid doubleflipping because you can't react and save balls with raised flippers.

#192 1 year ago
    Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Did you win a Twipy? First time voter because of you!!!!

Sorry forgot to say thanks! We where not bad with the ranking. It's nice to be even nominated.
    But with such an unknown channel (1.8k subscribers) and without advertising, chances are low to win.

Best youtube channel votes in %:

TNT Amusements 30.47%
    Straight Down the Middle: a pinball show 18.24%
    Cary Hardy 14.06%
    PAPA TV Pinball 13.56%
    Flip N Out Pinball 7.31%
    Tilt - The Sweet Science of Pinball 5.70%
    Buffalo Pinball 5.47%
    Abe Flips 5.19%
    Pinball Mag 4.73%
    MarvLoco: A Pinball Podcast 2.67%

#193 1 year ago
    Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

Sorry forgot to say thanks! We where not bad with the ranking. It's nice to be even nominated.
    But with such an unknown channel (1.8k subscribers) and without advertising, chances are low to win.
    TNT Amusements 30.47%
    Cary Hardy 14.06%
    PAPA TV Pinball 13.56%
    Flip N Out Pinball 7.31%
    Buffalo Pinball 5.47%
    Abe Flips 5.19%
    Pinball Mag 4.73%

Humm I have only watched PaPa and you on YouTube

Thanks again!!! Best videos period!!

#194 1 year ago
    Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

TNT Amusements 30.47%
    Cary Hardy 14.06%
    PAPA TV Pinball 13.56%
    Flip N Out Pinball 7.31%
    Buffalo Pinball 5.47%
    Abe Flips 5.19%
    Pinball Mag 4.73%

I voted for you. It was great to meet you in person at Fulda! Thanks again for the great pinball video content to help people learn to play better. I continue sharing them with my local pinball community.

#195 1 year ago
    Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

Hey there,
    cheers

Like all your other videos your work and effort you put into is just amazing

#196 1 year ago
    Quoted from Snailman:

I voted for you. It was great to meet you in person at Fulda! Thanks again for the great pinball video content to help people learn to play better. I continue sharing them with my local pinball community.

Yeah, it was a great to see you too in person! Crazy internet times , thanks for all your help!

#197 1 year ago

Have you done a video on stage flipping?

#198 1 year ago
    Quoted from onemilemore:

Have you done a video on stage flipping?

Not yet, but will definitely come!

#199 1 year ago

Here is the first image I got where a "Abe Flips" video is running on a location screen. Thats so cool, thanks!

oyvindmo
    thanks for sending the image of you location

location loop (resized).pnglocation loop (resized).png
    #200 1 year ago

Thank you for the great videos! The new one with a shorter introduction to multiple skills (as shown on the screen in the picture) is really good for an info display like this. We have set up Chrome to cycle between that video, a list of upcoming tournaments, and the IFPA player ranking list for Norway.

(The screen supports touch input, but we currently have that disabled until we find a way to make the system cope better with drunks who decide to make it show funny memes and such... )

There are 296 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinball-skills-tutorial-videos/page/4?hl=gorditas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.