stare.gif
f35b2ff373368a44c84b2d1e84b8048d6c2b3c14 (resized).jpg
IMG20220412195552 (resized).jpg
A29E882C-2FDB-4220-BC1A-F00A36E60085 (resized).jpeg
Photo_20170524_120226 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1898 Deadpool Pinball first impressions Posted by ZMeny (5 years ago)

Post #5108 R&M unboxing. Posted by Tuna_Delight (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2515 5 years ago

Gomez strikes again with a clunky design.

Shots B- / C

"A good decent pin that I don't need to own."

Ouch.

1 week later
#2694 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Its all fake except fox, so take your pic. I like to watch Rachel Madcow get all upset and pout and cry, shes the best.

As long as you're watching. That's all Nielsen cares about. Just like Howard Stern in the old days. The haters were the ones that listened the longest to his show - he didn't care. Ratings are ratings.

#2695 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Way too early to tell. Initially it's really fun but some games get old faster then others. There's plenty of code and overall I like the direction they took on the game. Ask me again in 8 weeks.

That's going to be one of the big questions about the game. Are having 5 major modes enough or is it going to get old fast. I do love how you can setup the modes for success. If I play properly I only need 3-4 shots to beat each of the battle modes. So you can blaze through them.
Some of the code team has been reaching out to early owners and I recommend adding a side mode for colossus, wolverine, and domino. I love the disco modes and katanarama, etc so adding more of that I think could really help the game from getting stale. Maybe the side mode starts after 5 shots to each character? They also need to rework trex so it's more exciting.

They need a few truly secret modes. Ones that have such obscure requirements no one knows what's going on or how they got there for a while. Wouldn't overcome the playfield clunk, but it would add an element of exploration and adventure that the current framework does not have.

2 weeks later
#2814 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I have a tilt bob in my Houdini, but it never seems to trigger any tilts. I'll have to look into that sometime.

It didn't seem to work at all until the latest software release.

2 weeks later
#2943 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

That’s a surprisingly fun machine there especially with two people.

Maintenance nightmare on location. The backbox mechanical stuff is way too cheap for the duty cycle.

#2945 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

The running man unit is actually incredibly simple. Have you seen the insides of it. This is easily the least complex game that I own outside of my multicade.

Complexity isn't the problem. Poor durability of materials is. They break on location. A lot. Or at least they did. Maybe they've improved the materials since the first few months after release.

1 week later
#2998 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

This is going to be the best JJP game yet hands down.

Going to be tough to knock WoZ off the top, but at least it's already better than Hobbit.

#3002 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Yes.

It’s a better game than Woz.

You gotta get out of the honeymoon period before you have any perspective. You know that. I fell into that trap and ignored my own rule, thinking Dialed In could dethrone WoZ initially, but it became obvious after playing it a lot that it's a double or a triple and not a home run.

Way to early to see where jjPotC falls, except that wherever it is, it will be ahead of Hobbit.

#3006 5 years ago
Quoted from andrewket:

Interesting. I own WOZ and DI, and I enjoy DI more. I often think I must be missing something when it comes to WOZ. I mostly keep it in the collection for guests who seem to be attracted to it.
I still find myself enjoying MMR and AFMR. I still haven’t finished them. Given my experience with these two, I suspect I’ll like MBR (I’ve never played it).

I haven't played the new beta of DI, but my main problem is it gets old because the progression is very similar to Ghostbusters, but without the nostalgic bump to get you though. You're climbing the same ladders, uninterrupted and with very little variation, every time. It has way less multiballs than WoZ, and the "quick" multiballs are throwaways. They broke up the mode mode mode mode progression with the Chaos Multiball, and that helps, but there's very little actual integration of the theme in the gameplay itself. The city is under attack, I would have expected more "side" jobs like rescuing people or having the electrical guy go crazy and have him speed way up so you have to get him under control. Or maybe have the evil computer take over the selfie camera and take pictures while mocking you? The spiders are wasted, the drones are under-utilized, it's just a less cohesive package than WoZ.

That said, WoZ was no shining star at release, either. They seem committed to their software, so maybe DI will be less boring to play in a collection someday. Here's hoping. It could be much worse, though. At least it's not Hobbit.

#3008 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

All of this unjustified hate for The Hobbit...tisk tisk

Unjustified means without basis. Hobbit has all the bases covered for a less than favorable rating as a game. Graphics and music are top notch, but that can't sustain the love over time.

#3010 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Yes, without basis. Many people argue that it’s a widebody, yup that’s true, but no other complaints other than that.

Same-y groups of modes, poor progression direction, and lacking "just one more game" feeling due primarily to ridiculously long ball times, but secondarily to boring gameplay (see:same-y mode grouping). There's a few more for you next time someone asks.

I'm not saying YOU can't like it. Just that there are definite reasons *I* don't. I'm not alone. It's literally the only JJP they're not making anymore. Jack gave up trying to sell it, and that's saying the MOST about market reception to the title (besides the low-and-falling resale values). Jack is tenacious - if HE gave up, you know it's bad.

#3012 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

It is better with the latest code update. Quite a bit so. I make myself think of it as a slower 1980's bally and I find I enjoy it more. Not a game I love but it's not terrible, it's very different which makes it good and bad.

I 100% agree that it's better now than it was, but still not good enough. I think most of it is just being hamstrung by a poor playfield design. There's not a lot you can do to make it fun, and JJP has DEFINITELY tried.

I'd rather have 4 actual choice 1980's Ballys than Hobbit.

#3021 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Hobbit had more unique modes than dialed in or most new sterns

More != better. See:same-y mode groups.

#3022 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

My understanding is that JJP is going to build more hobbits. Did they announce that is not the case?

Last I heard they were done after Black Arrows stuck around like an unwanted in-law.

#3036 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

31 modes for 10+ shots yeah sure some modes may use the same shot, but what other machine can you name that utilizes a controlled kickback for modes? What machine can you name that spot shoots drop targets? How many machines make you avoid drops while hitting targets? What other game blocks winning shots with trolls only to hit other shots to free up the winning shot with only a bit of time to spare? Which game makes you complete a riddle by finding the correct shot out of 11+?

But is it FUN? The answer for me (and the market at large where prices are depressed on Hobbit) is no. You can probably make a great flyer out of those points. However long the list, though, they do not make a FUN game. It's an elusive thing, and often the harder you try the more it slips through your fingers as a designer.

Quoted from ZMeny:

I’m mostly just busting your balls, but saying the hobbit has same-y modes is just incorrect. Stern Star Trek has same-y modes. The Shadow, which I love, has same-y modes. The Hobbit modes differ more than most any pinball machine ever made. Love the discussion though

Bust away. Multiple viewpoints on a crappy game is a worthwhile conversation to have. I have a thick skin and titanium balls (don't ask). The Hobbit modes may be technically different on a bullet point list, but they have a very same-y feel, and that's the death knell for me. Shadow has double interactive diverters. That's WAY more fun that the passive stuff in Hobbit. Individually controlled drop targets SOUND awesome. In practice they're a noisy yawn after the newness wears off.

#3037 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Damn I miss Shadow

I love Shadow so much I made that Shadow plastic superset in the Gene era so everyone could have access to new plastics when the Sanctum plastic alone was $300 due to rarity. I just bought a CPR playfield for Shadow with the intent of pimping one out to perfection in the future again. I, too, LOVE Shadow. It's a player's game for sure.

#3038 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Did you say you heard that from Jack or some one at JJP. Not saying your wrong, just wondering where you heard that.

I don't remember. It's been months, and I hear things from all angles.

#3044 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

SDTM Zach and EGP’s Dennis Kriesel discuss this week’s pinball news, as well as introducing a NEW SEGMENT where you can play along, TWIP That Tune!
TWIP Podcast Episode 22
https://www.facebook.com/162586444242633/posts/497854894049118/

Is there a youtube mirror for us non-facebook types?

#3046 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Yeah just subscribe on iTunes
Thanks!

I'm starting to understand your love for Hobbit, and that's the first step to acceptance.

#3061 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

This Just In...
In a strange turn of events, Pinball Artist Christopher Franchi just joined Team Zach! Franchi is usually a Greg fan, but we here at Team Zach are delighted to have his talent on this team! Where ya at Greg Bone?[quoted image]

If you can pull Borg in, you'll have a BFD.

#3068 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Some real-life Beatles pics to better see what it actually will look like......mmmmmm yummy[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

So does super jackpot actually roll under the plastic and drain to the left inlane? It looks like it could...

#3069 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

That would be one munster of a team

Hype train on fire for Munsters BFD express...
hype_train_Munsters (resized).jpghype_train_Munsters (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#3237 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Anyone have a Prem/LE Guardians to sell me? I’ve been itching for one again.

You can get an OTC cream to take care of that.

#3361 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Been called worse things... didnt phase me then either.

Faze.

#3417 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

SDTM Episode 81: SDTM Favorite Pinball Machines
Greg and Zach unveil their favorite pinball machines!
Who’s list is better?
What is your favorite pinball machine?!?!

Your list is MUCH better. I was getting concerned until The Shadow finally showed up. If that was missing, I was pulling your pinball credentials. Swap WoZ for Hobbit and Iron Maiden for Star Wars and your list would be extremely respectable. Those slipups dropped the list to merely competent.

1 month later
#3692 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I can't imagine its really that popular a theme. Stern nailed this pin and I think that is swinging a lot of people. Its a TV show that had two seasons before being canned in 66.

Firefly had one incomplete season of only 14 episodes and is tremendously popular in the afterlife. It happens.

Munsters shot seventy (yes, 7 dash 0) episodes in two seasons. That's SEVEN netflix seasons by today's standards. They have a lot of episodes in the can that are in constant repeats around the world, and they still hold up pretty well, so it does good in syndication, growing the fanbase every 8-10 years, and it's been through that cycle 5-6 times already. It's popular.

#3695 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

70 episodes over two seasons according to Wikipedia

I really should not rely on my memory for a quick reply without double-checking the internet first. Post corrected, thanks.

1 month later
#3934 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

SDTM Cary Hardy: Pinball Clear Coating Booth on a Budget

Don't give Stern any more cost-reduction ideas...

#3941 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yeah he did say that and if i was Zach I wouldn’t be sitting too close to him either! Did you see how he was eyeing Zach? None of my business, just sayin though.....

He's not WestHollywoodBone.

#3948 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

First production American Pinball Oktoberfest streaming live on SDTMpinball on Twitch! Come check it out
https://www.twitch.tv/sdtmpinball

"Castrated Monkey" is one of the awards?

EDIT: Some of the live cam shots are priceless.

(Gets very close to the screen) "Does that say CASTRATED MONKEY?!"

what_does_that_say (resized).jpgwhat_does_that_say (resized).jpg
#3978 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

It is one of the steins you can choose. It gives you more tilt warnings, so a good stein to grab if you have had a warning already. I did get some push back on including that one, but besides being an homage to Houdini, I felt its was appropriate given all that has happened.

I'm no prude, but "Altered Monkey" or something like that would convey a similar understanding to those that have followed along and would still get the reference, but it wouldn't be so overtly crass.

#3987 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

But the monkey in Houdini is castrated (for a reason that fits the historical narrative) so this is a direct homage to Houdini, one that I think is perfect.

Castration is still alteration.

3 weeks later
#4014 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Sorry guys we are hoping to have some stuff out next week. Stay pumped we got you covered.

Did you say pumped?

arnold terminating a joint.gifarnold terminating a joint.gif
2 months later
#4453 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Haha
Looking back at animations closer I was probably too harsh there. Simple isn’t bad. Artistically I think they did a bang up job. Nothing looks out of place. I let the simplicity drag down my score too much there.

No apologies necessary for being right. The STATIC shots from Beatles concerts and appearances that DEFINITELY have moving video with sound available that should have been used are ridiculous. You can only pan and zoom a still so many times. Super lame and drags the overall effort way down.

1 year later
#5014 3 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

HOT WHEELS PINBALL UNBOXING & FIRST LOOK
Another video up in an hour or two!

So basically free shaker motor for all buyers?

#5019 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I think he was implying they won't sell more than 500, therefore all buyers would get a free shaker. I hope they sell a lot more than 500! Will be interested to hear your review when you get it.

Houdini sold a few hundred more than 500. Octoberfest sold a lot less (some say just a few hundred sold), so everyone gets a free shaker on Hot Wheels is a pretty safe bet. The license isn't going to turbocharge AP sales, and whoever pushed for that annoying spinning car should sent to a Pat Lawlor re-education camp.

#5021 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Such a negative Nancy! I heard in a podcast that the behavior of the spinning car has been changed from what we saw in the brief videos so far.

Just being real. We had Houdini. Passed on Oktoberfest. Passing on Hot Wheels.

Rooting for AP, but they need to get out of their own way.

#5029 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I "Think" a certain individual complained and they had to remove it....... Sad really. ANY marketing is GOOD marketing. I thought the video was rather good.

This is a perfect example of how AP needs to get out of their own way. Hot Wheels is what it is, and no amount of editing is going to change that. Too late trying to control the narrative and piss off people like Zach that are trying to play by the rules AND HELP THEM SELL MACHINES. It's not his fault. Let it fly and make the next pin choice better.

#5072 3 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Hey, just a little tidbit if you've watched the SDTM First Impression of Hot Wheels... Zach mentions that the arrow inserts have several LEDs to avoid "dead spots". While it's true that this avoids dead/hot spots -- those pinpricks of light in the middle of an insert -- we do more than that. When shots are lit for Battles (modes) or multiballs, we often do lighting chase patterns within the arrow insert ... this is a really cool effect, it's an animation within the arrows on the playfield. And since all of the playfield LEDs are full RGB... all the better. This is something I always thought would be cool to do, so I'm really glad we got the opportunity to do it on Hot Wheels. It's one of those subtle features that really catches your eye when you walk up to play the game.

Something like what they did on The Last Starfighter homebrew?

More refined version:

Original rough attempt on The Last Starfighter:

#5095 3 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Apparently so. During the stream today, in addition to the arrow inserts, check out the round insert in the middle of the pop bumper cluster.

Will do, thanks.

#5112 3 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

*NEW SDTM* Rick & Morty First Look & Unboxing

Very nicely done, but who started vacuuming at 13:20?

#5116 3 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Ahh I see what you did there Vireland. Good call it is noisy

Sometimes I'm too subtle.

Let me send you a fan. PM me if you want one. I guarantee it will take care of the problem.

Quoted from Spiderpin:

That Spooky fan, I heard it too. Be ready for some more sales.

Haha. Yeah, word's getting out. It's not at the level of the spike 500W power supply fans yet, but these spooky quiet fan plug n play kits are definitely off to an unexpectedly strong start, which shouldn't be surprising, I guess - I can't believe anyone would put up with that noise in a home environment.

1 week later
#5160 3 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Holy shit, it is the end of the world as we know it!....I am receiving praise over Greg mutha-fuckin Bone?!?!?! I don’t know how to react. This....feels....so so strange....

Bet it doesn't feel as strange as it does to Greg after eating all that NASTY Dominoes pizza and still losing.

Do it again. Although it might be dangerous on a game like Zeppelin where he'd be consuming mass quantities of drugs...

#5162 3 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

No matter what happened it looks like Greg’s stomach lost that battle...

But in his colon, the battle rages on...

#5167 3 years ago
Quoted from Hollywoodbone:

Soooo true! The next day was even bad!!! I put up a good fight though

We'll for what it's worth, "Greg's confident enthusiasm turns to quivering jelly" videos are SUPER entertaining. I recommend you do more unboxings with this element worked into them.

#5182 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Greg I'm actually proud of you because Domino's is the shittiest damn pizza in the world. I'm surprised you didn't barf after the 2nd slice. Why the hell would you guys get a Domino's pizza when you have Pizza King where you live? That's insane dude.

Papa Johns is about the same level of awful. Either of those are total crap.

I think they got Dominos because they were tied into the first turtles movie. You know, for authenticity.

#5184 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Oh ok i got ya. I never seen any of the turtle movies so thats why i didnt know. Them turtles must be some tough some bitches to eat all that Domino’s pizza!

I'm assuming that the TMNT are the common kind of turtles that don't have tastebuds, so they eat for the texture. The only explanation for how they can choke down Dominos.

#5208 3 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

...we are throwing a BIG ASS party and everyone is invited!

Not sure my wife would approve of me attending an ass party, let alone one featuring BIG ASS.

1 week later
#5252 3 years ago

I don’t understand the backlash. I really don’t. I literally have product that’s sitting in my basement that I have been asked to try out and it’s still sitting there because neither Zach nor I could stand behind it.

Please send the Pin Monk Tibetan Rectal Bliss cream back, then. I try to do something nice for your ass after that Dominoes blowout and this is the thanks I get.

Geez.

#5254 3 years ago

The only thing I really do not like is the perpendicular mounting of the top board hanging off the CPU board at the top, and that smaller board hanging off the bottom. I would have enclosed them, at least on the bottom of each board, and mounted them against the backbox using any of the available posts nearby used for wire routing, then had a jumper cable to the CPU board for a much cleaner install. Seems very sketchy the way it's done.

(I have no interest in selling amplifer kits, so this is just an opinion, not some competitive jab)

#5260 3 years ago
Quoted from PinTweeter:

Thanks for the input! We decided early on that hard docking the power board was a better idea because we want the power solution in an always known state.

What does this mean? If you're using patch cables, they're connected or they're not. If the cables are plugged in, the state is known. I think most users can understand the concept of plugged/unplugged.

Quoted from PinTweeter:

It's also very simple for anyone to add something as tricky as power this way. Leaving it up to the customer to secure screws and everything else is not only more difficult, but it also increases the risk of somebody dropping a screw behind the MPU board for example. We don't disagree there are multiple ways to do it! We just think this way will have the most benefit.

Plugging in a patch cable and plugging in a board are essentially the same operation.

And if dropping screws behing the MPU is the concern (as it should be - anything above the MPU is a bad idea) that's no problem. I was thinking the two posts below the MPU were the best mounting location. Were I installing this, I would make a tray for the two boards and a single patch cable with multiple connectors to clean up the install. The tray would connect to the two posts on the backbox below the MPU, and both boards and the tray would be parallel to the MPU. It would really clean up the install and reduce the chance for problems. Something like this...

pinnovators-tray (resized).jpgpinnovators-tray (resized).jpg

Just wanted to make sure you knew what I was talking about. You may have been visualizing something else from what I said.

2 weeks later
#5268 3 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Pinball Monk Quiet Fan Upgrade
Tell them SDTM sent ya when purchasing yours!

Thanks for taking the time to make a nice video for installing these!

3 weeks later
#5270 3 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

I was interviewed by Travis Murie from A Pinball Podcast a YouTube pinball video series. Strong takes, bold ideas, and how to bring pinball to the main stage. PLUS WIN A FREE NEW STERN PRODUCT! Tune in now to find out how....ITS FREE TO ENTER!!!!

This podcast is a study in contrasts.

meny-bright.jpgmeny-bright.jpg

(I debated making the setting Brightness or Gamma, but settled on Brightness)

3 months later
#5334 3 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

TOP 10 MOST UNDERRATED PINBALL MACHINES
New SDTM Episode 120

No Shadow?? One of the most under-rated masterpieces of all time.

#5349 3 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Hey, The Shadow is easily in my top 3 off all time and maybe the greatest game ever made, so I would never subject it to the peasants listed on that Top 10. The Shadow transcends underratedness.

My general metric for underrated is, "Have I bought it for $750 before?"

Shadow was firmly in that class until I made the mistake of making the shadow plastics superset and everyone was able to replace formerly unobtanium plastics cheaply all at once. It never went below $1500 from that point on.

Another pin that's underrated is Johnny Mnemonic. So few people have played one, and even fewer have played one with a properly-working hand. JM has one of the coolest Midnight Madness modes, too.

Actually, it would take a while to experience them all to do it, but you should do a top 10 midnight madness modes. Pretty sure Munsters would be the best MM version, but there are a number of good ones out there. You'd have to roll Star Wars back to the one version that had it to see that one though...

#5356 3 years ago
Quoted from beeker3000:

Genesis, Who Dunnit, Breakshot, Alien Poker, Torpedo Alley. All ugly, but fun.
I didn't know that The Beatles was underrated until I saw it's #82 ranking. That's downright stupid. Everything about that game screams fun, except the price.

Meh. Price doesn't help, but the software is underwhelming. I just can't get over the stills scrolling by from well-known beatles events when black and white video of the same event is widely available and would be much better. I could see having one for a while at $5k or less, and they're almost there for the golds, so...

#5429 3 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

NEW SDTM! Our Favorite Pinball Video
Thanks for the continued support everyone!

I really don't know how you will ever top the TMNT unboxing. So good, every time.

#5430 3 years ago
Quoted from dos_reboot:

joke
-----------
your head

dont_get_the_joke.gifdont_get_the_joke.gif
#5435 3 years ago

I liked that episode in concept....until I lost!!!!!

I really think the comedic potential of you doing something punishing and disgusting while trying to beat Zach to the finish of a pin setup has just begun to be explored. You've set the bar high with that TMNT video, but looking forward to how you top it.

1 week later
#5457 3 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

HOT OF THE PRESS, NEW SDTM!!!
Top 10 Most Overrated Pinball Machines Of All Time
Help support SDTM by sharing this video!
Warning: Adult Language
Pinball
#top10
#overrated
#sdtmpinball

Very entertaining. I was fooled when Pinstadium came on after Big Bang Bar, thinking, "That's bold, but they're not wrong" - then I realized it was a sponsor ad and not a "most overrated" accessory interlude. Ya got me with that one.

And Whitewater is a fun game, just not for the price it goes for these days.

#5471 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

My one problem with your 10 most over rated pins was FG/Shrek. That is a solid shooting pin that requires you to play upper and lower playfields simultaneously. The only pin I can think of that does this is JJPOTC.

Munsters Prem/LE does this, too. It's not fun there, either.

I agree with Family Guy/Shrek being crappy. I find zero joy in that pin. But I am only an icon of pin taste, not the arbiter, so people have other opinions.

#5484 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Makes sense. I think a case can be made for TWD being the greatest game ever made.

I hate horror/zombies and I came around to TWD once I got past the theme. It's a FANTASTIC game. Easily in my top 10, probably top 5. One of the few I still miss. Also demands a ColorDMD for the full experience.

#5512 3 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I bought one new, waited years for it, was duly impressed by the light show, but figured out I wasn't having any fun playing it, and was not sad to see it go, and do not miss even a little: WOZ.
Like I said in the R&M club thread: R&M made me feel like I expected WOZ to, and didn't. And I had to wait a long time for each, so it wasn't just unrealistic expectations built up over time. For all its innovations, WOZ was not enjoyable, just aggravating. It's easily the most overrated game I've ever owned, at least.

Yeah, if you got it at the beginning in 2013 and sold it within a year or two, you really didn't experience the game. It was polished over a very long period of time and didn't get really good until around 2016-17. Haven't put my hands on jjGnR yet, but WoZ is still my #2 JJP game. I finally sold it a few months ago, and am not opposed to having it again in the future.

#5514 3 years ago

I never liked how it shoots.

I hated TWD. Thought it shot like crap. Then Lyman completely redid the rules. Now it's one of my favorite games, even though I don't like horror. Code can change a "poor shooting" game into a masterpiece. TWD proved that. But it takes YEARS to happen.

A bunch of fancy, confusing rules is no help. Besides, I didn't sell it right away, I did the updates. It was pretty, but I never felt the urge to turn it on.

If you sold it within the first 3 years (which it sounds like you did) you basically missed the game.

I wanted an instant ball save option, F that SOTR BS, if you light all those lights by the drain pop you should get your damn ball back then, not a herculean task first. But that was my idea, the almighty programmer would hear none of it. God, I hated that "innovation," I was ready to disable the pop altogether. Getting worked up just remembering it. And that was just one suggestion ignored.

That was one of those things that seemed awesome until you had to do it, over and over. I don't like it, either. I think there's a good idea in there, but it still needs work it may never see to be right. TOTO is a much better ball save since it's short and quick.

3 months later
#5583 3 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

I bust his balls too, but honestly, I can’t beat him up too much because it’s tough not to have a total for contemporary machines that doesn’t come up in the B range. Everyone try it using our rating scale, no need to show anyone, but it’s damn tough.

Munsters makes a sub-B score easy. WWE was sub-B as well. They are out there, and not that long ago.

Next.

#5585 3 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

We haven’t reviewed WWE yet but that may be fun.

Maybe do it from the corner of the Stern warehouse still stuffed with unsold WWE Pro and LE machines they have to give away as prizes to move them onesie-twosie. That would be fun.

#5598 3 years ago

Munsters has some really good redeeming qualities about it. That’s what makes giving something a c or less so difficult. Great art, really good layout and shots, call outs are good, theme is good, code not so much! So when your working on a grading scale it’s difficult once you average all of those things, good and bad. And ultimately it’s like we tell people all the time. It’s about the individual grades and the discussion. Not necessarily the final grade, because call outs may be shit and animations may be shit, and that knocks a pretty good pin to a B on the final grade but those two things don’t mean a whole lot to that person so it’s basically an A pin to them. Hopefully that makes sense ha ha.
Now WWE is a different story!!!!!

XMEN callouts are a D- or F+. Shitty Beast is not a C, or even C-. All the rest are terrible, too. One of the worst offenses against modern pinball ever sold. Layout is a lazy C, at best, too. It's another Borg mirrored shot map (see: Tron) with more complicated ramps.

You really need to use the whole rating range for it to mean anything. If the worst stuff is still a C, why bother with letter grades at all?

#5603 3 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

SDTM: a pinball show announces some big changes to the channel!

You're covering "general addictive hobbies" now? Hmm...pot, shrooms, heroin, x, coke? I don't wish for Greg to be strung out, but I admit I am curious if I'd notice a difference.

It will take something of that magnitude to top the genius of your TMNT unboxing.

#5615 2 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

What about making love at midnight?

Michael Jackson was a fan, but only after the Jesus juice sippy cups came out.

3 weeks later
#5640 2 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Stern Pinball Avengers: Infinity Quest Shooter Rod Accessory
NOW SHIPPING!

Does it vibrate?

Because it looks like it should vibrate...

2 weeks later
#5644 2 years ago
Quoted from Billr317:

has anyone received this shooter rod and had problems? I have and also a friend has as well.
After installing the lighted gem shooter rod, the manual shooter is not strong enough to shoot the pinball completely around the loop. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Thanks!!

Common problem. Lots of talk about it in the owner's thread.

Basically get a shorter barrel spring on the outside part of the shooter rod, or upgrade the factory orange shooter rod spring inside the cabinet to a stronger purple or even red one.

1 week later
#5667 2 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Poor man's version: $96, just spray paint it gold, add LEDs, and a $32 fog machine, which interacts when you hit the buttons...
[quoted image][quoted image]

Scale is way too small for the top of the backbox on the machine. Plus, it's kind of an ugly version.

2 weeks later
#5690 2 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

BOOM!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks good, but the uplighting doesn't have nearly the impact it should for the sculpt. Should have had a few strips in the very front on each side to uplight the stone, and again in the top of the stone ledge of each level on the inside pointing to the next level.

For the money they asked, these are obvious details that should have been worked out. Yes, I am picky.

indy_topper (resized).jpgindy_topper (resized).jpg
#5691 2 years ago
Quoted from dos_reboot:

Too bad IJ is only a half-a-playfield of a pin. Don't get the big money thrown at this game.

It's one of the best machines out there. I just wish it was easier to manhandle. By the time I get to Eternal Life multiball, my arms are killing me.

4 months later
#5746 2 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Exclusive: Cactus Canyon Remake Reveal
This game is special!

Pricing/shipping announced yet?

#5752 2 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

If you had some carpet for your area , it would be good , doesn't matter what colour it is .

Convention centers usually have union rules, so something as simple as 10'x20' of carpet and pad for 4 days can get expensive. Depending on convention center rules, you often can't bring your own. Had plenty of experience with that at the LA and NV convention centers. Dunno what the pinball expo site rules are specifically, though.

1 month later
#5757 2 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

NEW SDTM - Happy Holidays!
Godzilla Pinball Machine Review
Where does it rank amongst your favorite games?! Click on the video now to find out!
Please Like, Follow, & Subscribe to Straight Down The Middle (SDTM) on YouTube & Facebook

Always nice to see Zach and Greg together on screen talking. Chemistry for days.

3 months later
#5814 2 years ago
Quoted from thekaiser82:

You need some PinMonk spike 2 power supply fans in your life. In the first part of that video it sounds like someone is testing jet engines in the room, lol.

Haha. I like to say it sounds like someone is vacuuming in an adjacent room. Zach knows all about them, though. He did a great install video for the Spooky version of the quiet fan kit for the power supply.

2 months later
#5846 1 year ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Cool, I'll listen to the video then. Just didn't want to spend time on hearing about non-gameplay impressions. Do you guys release your audio as a podcast? I have to leave Youtube running and my phone on to listen to Youtube while I work or drive, etc.
Thanks.

You can download youtube videos. Lots of sites let you split out the audio only, too. Don't do any of the ones that want you to install an app. The browser-based converters are fine.

Oh, and also don't search for "youtube downloaders" on google since they suppress those sites somewhat because, well, they own youtube and don't want you doing that. You'll have better results on bing, usually.

6 months later
#6008 1 year ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

What game would you love to surprise your best friend with? And who would you send it to? (tag them to show the pinball love)

It was a long time coming to make up for that TMNT unboxing you put him through, but you did good.

#6011 1 year ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

He has turned down 'pizza' a couple of times now when we hang out. Hehehehe.

The single best unboxing you've ever done.

The discomfort Greg was experiencing was palpable as he shoved more and more of that grade D(ominoes) pizza down his gullet as fast as possible to beat your unboxing completion. The 6k views that video's received are almost fair trade for a Stranger Things. Almost.

Fixed up my favorite moment from the misery here...

11 months later
#6195 4 months ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

SDTM: Reviewing 2023 Pinball: The Best & The Worst
Did Greg & Zach get it right? Comment on your BEST and WORST of the year.
Strong takes, great moments, always SDTM...

Definitely should have spent some time with Elton John before declaring Foo the best shooting game of 2023. Foo is FUN to shoot, but not sure I'd call it a best shooting award winner.

#6200 4 months ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

At same time most people have not touched it in 2023 and it wont be in peoples hands till end of year or early next year, so cutting it super close.

But it wasn't most people's opinion, it was SDTM's, and it WAS played, so how it shot compared to Foo was known. I understand the arguments for and against, but if you're talking "best shooting" pin in 2023, it's not Foo (I say this as a non-owner of Elton John with no intention of bringing one in so I can immediately lose $2-3k when I move it along a few months later - JJP needs to get their code support problem FIXED, it's killing their resale).

#6201 4 months ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Great video, and many great points. The one I agreed with the most was why in the world PM would partner with CGC to make games. Seems like an odd choice since they are by far the worst in the industry at getting games out the door.

I dunno. Lately I would put AP in the "worst at getting games out the door" camp. BoF, however, has come out of the gate guns-blazin' with their output. Really impressive for a new entrant.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 17.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 16.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eagan, MN
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 289.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Hutto, TX
6,150 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinball-show-straight-down-the-middle-a-pinball-show?tu=pinmonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.