stare.gif
f35b2ff373368a44c84b2d1e84b8048d6c2b3c14 (resized).jpg
IMG20220412195552 (resized).jpg
A29E882C-2FDB-4220-BC1A-F00A36E60085 (resized).jpeg
Photo_20170524_120226 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1898 Deadpool Pinball first impressions Posted by ZMeny (5 years ago)

Post #5108 R&M unboxing. Posted by Tuna_Delight (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paul_8788.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#829 6 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Now with that being said, i don't want games quite that simple and im glad that codes have advanced but as Greg said, i dont want to pull my calculator out or go to college to learn how to score big on a game either. I mean that honestly makes me not want to play in any tournaments because i know there is no way that i can compete because i just dont have that kind of time to study all of these games rule sets and memorize them. Hell i dont even have the brains to do that, i wont even lie about it.

I think having multiple levels of strategy available in modern pins is awesome. I will never be a tourney player either, don't have the time, desire or skill, but TWD and Star Wars are still a blast for me. I have never found Star Wars to be overly complex. Green shots are multiplied, higher multipliers are better than lower, hit target bank to increase multipliers. Done.

I am usually flailing so hard during a multiball that I am at 40x without even trying and then I realize, try to line up a shot I want to hit for a big score then, more often than not, drain.

More skilled players who have the time and desire though can figure out the nuances and blow it up. Something there for everyone.

4 months later
#1999 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Looks like IMDN was a one-off for completed code at launch.

Complete at launch? (announced March 27, see patch notes for changes/tweaks since then):

http://f0727d06e1d39b514478-a613b39d02a32124478c749a23d19af0.r44.cf5.rackcdn.com/Iron_Maiden-1_03_0-README_LE.TXT

#2021 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

This is so disappointing, and just completely baffling. How is Stern so out of touch, does no one at Stern know anything about the movies. The history of what they went through to get them made the right way. This is the second biggest R rated movie in history, if you count them as a franchise its the biggest.

Telling point. If the pin was based on the movies....

#2025 5 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Why on earth would they not base it on the movie. They literally announced the pin the same time as the Super Duper Uncut edition hit the internet. You have Ryan Reynolds hitting the talk shows and posting about it. The guys guerilla marketing is incredible, one silly post from him and you hit millions of potential buyers. Stern, let's drop rated G Deadpool pin complete with Baby Deadpool just like Baby Mickey and friends, with a core audience of 30+ men. I could live with the comic license if it was still in the same spirit but this is brutal. Great pin, complete waste of the license.

So you won't be buying then?

2 months later
#3106 5 years ago

I think it looks like a fun game, thanks for the footage SDTM. Like others, I think they overpriced it, or at least priced me out. I'm not one of the crazies yelling "should only be 4k!!!!!", but for me, the closest comparabile modern machine is TNA. Take 6k then add in the extra cost of the Beatles license and the money they have to give to Kapow I can see it costing more than TNA, but not $1600 more.

That being said, my guess is it cost Stern a lot more in upfront with the Seawitch redesign (yes, parts were redesigned, I don't see Seawitch with a spinning disk and magnet), the art, the lcd and the programming. Spooky got everything other than the art pretty much handed to them whole when they partnered with Danesi and run a whole lot smaller/leaner so their overall costs have to be lower per unit.

At the end of the day, all it really matters to Stern is if they sell all of their allotment to distributors and distributors are able to move the pins to customers, and it seems like that is happening regardless of Pinside angst.

#3133 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I value innovation. No question the cost associated with the design and execution of a brand new table is high. Stern essentially cut this cost out and threw innovation out the door along with it. To take this approach for an IP like the Beatles it's disappointing. I think Stern thought literally putting Beatles on Seawitch without doing anything would be a little too ridiculous so they threw in a magnet, a spinner and some other items.
If that's sufficient for some that's great but I'll call it out for what it clearly is.... A simple cash grab and Stern is better than that.

I think the approach works fine. Given TNAs success, people asking for reboots of older machines, wanting the machine to be simpler for non-pinheads and using a nostalgic design given the 1964 vibe, all makes perfect sense. If they would've designed a new old school layout I am sure lots of people would be complaining "why didn't they just base it on a good design like Seawitch? Stupid Stern...".

Is it innovative? No, I agree with that. I also don't think it needs to be to be fun, at least not for me. Looking forward to playing one if one shows up locally.

I also think people are overestimating the cost savings by rebooting a pin that old. Requires getting the playfield into their design software, new code, new mechs, new whitewood, LCD work. Saved some time getting from concept to whitewood, and geometry was already solid so saved some iteration time there for sure. Then you add in all the fixed costs that happens with a company that size. They have to pay everyone from the cleaning staff to the CEO, pay rent, buy parts, whatever and still have enough left over to make it profitable for the shareholders.

Companies exist to make money. It was Stern's risk to price and market the product this way, if it doesn't sell it is on them, they lose money. If it does sell, they reap the rewards. Its priced too high for me, but i don't think that means Stern is just out for a cash grab and doesn't care about the product.

3 weeks later
#3456 5 years ago

I think I would've puked after shot 5.

2 years later
#5694 2 years ago

Nice episode! Agree with most of it, where I disagreed mainly comes down to personal preference. Strongly disagree about Deadpool though. If it was just the drops and disco ball, fine, but that left orbit to right flipper is a must have for me. Repeatedly ripping the spinner on that orbit always makes me smile.

1 year later
#5898 1 year ago

I liked it the review. It was entertaining. Good reasoning behind each of the grades. I wasn't expecting a fully objective, scientifically based and peer reviewed segment on TS4 pinball, maybe that's why I still enjoyed it.

I think the big Flip n Out Pinball ad at the beginning of each show should be a large enough clue to the uninitiated that there might be some conscious or unconscious bias involved in the reviews, so don't see a need for some disclaimer.

I agree though that "value" used to be discussed more when reviewing/comparing machines. Not in a "how it makes you feel" type of valuation, but a "how much it eats out of your bank account" valuation. I remember the "This or That" segments repeatedly mentioning cost when making choices.

For me it's two Stern Pros or one TS4? Or a Stern Premium + 2800.00 or TS4 LE? TS4 would have to make me feel REALLY good while playing to be the "that" choice in those scenarios. To each their own.

#5942 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Then don’t review it if you can’t play it enough to do a review. I’m confused.

The price tag SUCKS. but that has nothing to do with how good the game is.

Don't think he was referring to reviewing it, but more that some can't try before they buy. If they want to even have a chance to play a machine they have to be prepared to drop cash and buy one, so a value segment of a review would be helpful.

Although, at $12k, I think Toy Story is a pretty easy answer to figure out without help.

11 months later
#6143 9 months ago
Quoted from Burley9043:

Did you guys think about your SDTM reviews when composing this list? For example, you both gave JJ POTC a much better review than Walking Dead and you ranked Indiana Jones higher than anything on your top 10 list except for GB. And Metallica makes this Top 10 list, yet only receives a B+ from Greg and a B from Zach in you SDTM review.

Things that make you go Hmmmm.

They say right in the video that they are trying to be objective (as objective as you can be on a list like this), so it makes sense it wouldn't fully follow their own reviews. In any case, it is a list made for fun and conversation, don't think a full audit is in order.

#6146 9 months ago
Quoted from Burley9043:

i assume they are being objective whenever they review a machine. Not trying to "audit" anything, just found it interesting and wondered what Greg and Zach had to say about the inconsistency. I would think that anyone who watches SDTM would be surprised that Indiana Jones didn't make their top 10. That's what prompted me to check back on their latest list of games.

They say in the first two minutes of the video that the games are not necessarily their own personal favorites and are trying to look at it more objectively. Maybe they will chime in on the exact reason Indy was left out, but speaking as someone who watches SDTM, I wasn't surprised.

I assumed it wasn't in because IJPA isn't a top 10 layout, the code isn't top 10 either. I'd still like to own one because the theme and integration are off the charts. If it was a list of top 10 themes of all time and IJPA wasn't on it I would definitely be surprised.

4 months later
#6155 5 months ago

You can love your pinball machine, but don't LOVE your pinball machine.

#6177 5 months ago
Quoted from EternitytoM83:

I bet if Stern had trojaned this add into a code update, people would be much less outraged.

The ad looked like it could be sponsored by Trojan.

4 weeks later
#6202 4 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

But it wasn't most people's opinion, it was SDTM's, and it WAS played, so how it shot compared to Foo was known. I understand the arguments for and against, but if you're talking "best shooting" pin in 2023, it's not Foo (I say this as a non-owner of Elton John with no intention of bringing one in so I can immediately lose $2-3k when I move it along a few months later - JJP needs to get their code support problem FIXED, it's killing their resale).

It is possible that in SDTM's opinion Foo shoots better than EJ, and that in your opinion EJ shoots better than Foo and both opinions can exist without the universe imploding.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Hutto, TX
€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 17.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
JURASSIC PARK PRO Pre-order!
The Pinball Place

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,150 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paul_8788.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinball-show-straight-down-the-middle-a-pinball-show?tu=paul_8788 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.