stare.gif
f35b2ff373368a44c84b2d1e84b8048d6c2b3c14 (resized).jpg
IMG20220412195552 (resized).jpg
A29E882C-2FDB-4220-BC1A-F00A36E60085 (resized).jpeg
Photo_20170524_120226 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1898 Deadpool Pinball first impressions Posted by ZMeny (5 years ago)

Post #5108 R&M unboxing. Posted by Tuna_Delight (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider burley9043.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#364 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

2 of the worst are TZ and LOTR in my opinion.

I get LOTR but what do you dislike about TZ?

4 weeks later
#469 6 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

I love hearing people loving games that I hate. Makes me want to play some more stng and really want to get my hands on a TNA for an extended period of time. Thanks buddy, but for the record STNG is cool but boring haha

I love having STTNG in my collection in part because of my love for the tv show and the call outs, but more because it is a great change of pace from the other pins that I own. Right now I don't think that I will ever get rid of it since I love the flow. However, if I were to part with it to make room for something else, I doubt that I would spend any money playing it at an arcade since I would only be playing for a high score and not to "explore" the game. That seems true of a lot of games that people play, even those where they have not completed the wizard mode.

That "something else" could be Houdini. Can't wait for Zach to get his so we can hear the review.

Finally, have you been following the Last Star Fighter Pinball thread https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/southern-california-homebrew-anyone-interested? I find it very interesting. It would be great if SDTM flew out to Southern California for an interview.

3 weeks later
#550 6 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Money is always an option for Greg haha. So what will it be Greg?

Continuing with money as not a factor in choosing which pin to buy, Houdini or JJ Pirates? It seems you think Pirates is still the better game - but the price pushes you to Houdini? I don't think a lot of people can buy them both.

1 week later
#595 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

I can’t decide which made me laugh harder you listing Greg’s phobias or tell Homepin to go to hell.

Greg's phobias. I had to keep rewatching the list. Not sure which was my favorite, but I am intrigued about the couch problem.

1 week later
#624 6 years ago

Another good show but my favorite part was the outtakes of the TWIPY Awards. In looking at all of your game reviews, have you guys given any thought of revisiting your Batman 66 review now that the code has improved? It seems that opinions are changing as to how good this pin is.

1 week later
#658 6 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

This Or That? Road Trip!!!

I don't understand how Greg can be so concerned about what is on his couch, yet seems perfectly calm while Zach looks into the camera while driving with no hands on the wheel. Looks like the next game review, JJ POTC, will be setting the stage for the next big This or That discussion - Houdini vs Pirates.

#672 6 years ago

Wow. My head is spinning. So much to this game. Great job guys! Can't wait for Part 2.

#695 6 years ago

In talking with Eric, did you get any sense as to what is next after POTC for him?

#702 6 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

Zach & Greg do not have the Oprah touch "as of yet" but they substantially increase sales for businesses they endorse. This is simple Zach & Greg will not endorse a product they do not believe in

Heck, all we have seen is an interview with the designer and programmer. Maybe when we finally see their review they are going to tell us that the game did not shoot well, the music was awful, the rules were too confusing, and too many of the characters looked like Greg.

1 week later
#748 6 years ago

Thank you both for all the time that you guys spent to put this review together. Fantastic job! I am not surprised that you both gave it top scores, but I don't know how Zach can call this one of the greatest pinball machines ever while on his list he has Ghostbusters ranked higher. So which character did you play?

#756 6 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Burley have you been able to get your hands on one yet?

No. I have not found one in the Cleveland area to play so I have been living vicariously through you and Greg. I do have a deposit on an LE that I made after hearing all the buzz and your reports from Chicago. I expect that JJPOTC and TZ will be sitting next to each other in my game room for many years to come. With the new games (TNA, Houdini, JJPOTC) and new codes for Batman 66 and TWD, this has been an exciting year for the pinball hobby. The timing of starting SDTM could not have been better.

1 week later
#867 6 years ago

Waiting for the SDTM two-part review! Will SDTM do a show on Zach's takeaways from Texas?

4 weeks later
#1036 5 years ago

Great comment Greg! I think there is a lot of stupid going around. Why I love your show. (Because of the great comments, not the stupid part.)

3 weeks later
#1141 5 years ago

Sorry Zach, I just couldn't get into the show without Greg there. The phone-a-friend helped, but still not the same. It was like Martin without Lewis, Abbott without Costello, Hardy without Laurel, and Cheech without Chong.

2 months later
#1666 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Possibly, only time will tell. I still really like Iron Maiden and I agree, the layout and rules are special and inspired.

Zach - If the theme was something you liked as much as Star Wars instead of Iron Maiden, do you think you would have still voted for Star Wars? I am not really a fan of the band, but I am okay with the music and art - and love the way IMDN plays. But if you really dislike the theme (as your D rating indicates you do), I think it is hard to get over that emotional aspect of the game, no matter how objective you are trying to be about the layout and rules.

I wonder how many people commenting about your choice (defending or attacking) own both machines? It is why I am respectful of your opinion (gonna have to try SW at the arcade one more time) even though I disagree with it (doing so as an owner of an IMDN premium).

2 weeks later
#1794 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

I will never ever ever consciously give a biased review

I believe you Zach, but I think that the Iron Maiden review and the subsequent "This or That" episode in which you selected Star Wars over Maiden was a clear case of bias. While you loved many aspects of the game, you obviously dislike the group Iron Maiden and that bias was reflected in your review and decisions in rating the game.

Everyone has a bias about something, but that does not mean one cannot provide impartial perspectives, even about a friend's work. I believe that you and Greg do your best to be impartial, but no one should think they are totally without bias. I am a fan of your show and the work you are doing in pinball because I find the two of you to be entertaining and informative, but I am always aware that your opinions are just that, your opinion. While I believe that you work to be impartial, for some of the reasons that Who-Dey points out, it is sometimes difficult to do.

That being said, the difficulty in discussing this issue is the word "bias," which can have a very negative connotation and which can feel offensive to the person accused of bias. I hope you are not offended by my assertions. I don't know either you or Greg, but I think you are both good people doing something you enjoy and trying to do it while maintaining an open mind. I appreciate what you two bring to this hobby.

#1799 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

I wouldn’t confuse “subjective opinion” with “biased opinion”.

Good point and probably the cause of much of the consternation in this current thread. All opinions are subjective, some are biased. Relationships do affect our subjectivity, no matter how hard we try to prevent that from happening. I also believe that we all have a bias about something that will sometimes come out when we are expressing an opinion. Claiming that relationships cultivated in the industry has or will prevent SDTM from expressing an unbiased opinion is unfair, but it is naive to think that no bias will ever exist in their opinions.

#1815 5 years ago

My biggest concern with the show going forward is not the reviews, it's Zach's impersonations that are becoming more prevalent, especially on the TWIP podcast. It took me a while to figure out that he was doing Donald Trump. And don't even get me started on Greg's German. They are going to need Jeff on the show to keep them in check.

2 weeks later
#1900 5 years ago

It was nice having the boys back together where they belong. I have been listening to Zach on the TWIP podcasts and, while I enjoy the format and content of the show, Zach is better with Greg and they are both better when they are together doing SDTM. Enjoyed the first impressions, but I can't wait until you guys can do a thorough review of Deadpool.

2 weeks later
#2245 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

but yeah most have something redeeming.

A willingness to take the time to find that redeeming element depends on whether the game is on free play or you are paying to play (and how much you are paying). An example for me would be Houdini, where I was paying a dollar a game and bricking all those shots that you "need to learn." I was spending money so quickly and not advancing very far in the game that I stopped playing and moved on to something else. Reluctant to put more money in it, I have never played it since. I am sure that my experience would be much different if I were at someone's home with the game on free play. But as it is, I have not played it enough to give it a fair overall letter grade. I wonder if people are quick to give F's (or any low grade) without playing the game long enough to give it a fair review.

2 weeks later
#2604 5 years ago

I agree with Who-Dey as far as keeping the show simple. Greg and Zach are best when they don't try to be funny. The show does not need any of the special effects and please, no fake voices. (Neither of you do a good imitation of anyone.) Besides the humor between the two, I don't know of anyone who does a better job than Zach of taking us through the machine before they do their review. Great camera work. Those are episodes worth paying for even if I think Zach's review of Iron Maiden was insane. As far as Zach the celebrity, I wonder if Who-Dey has been listening to the TWIP podcasts where I think Zach did not sound like the "Zach from SDTM" in the first few podcasts. I could agree that there might have been a little "celebrity" tone in those early episodes as Zach took on the "star of the show" role, but more recently he is sounding more like "Zach from SDTM" and the podcast is really hitting its stride. (I really enjoy his episodes with Dennis Kriesel.) Just keep it real guys because there is just a natural chemistry between you two (I'm a one who cannot pick . . .) that does not need to be forced nor does it need the FX.

1 week later
#2739 5 years ago

This was a one of your most interesting reviews of a machine given how much I knew you two love LOTR based on comments you have made in various other episodes. I was like Greg - surprised that Zach's final grade was so low given how much he seems to love the game. My question to Zach, before you did this thorough and objective review, if someone had come up to you at a show and asked if LOTR should be on the "A" Game list or the "B" Game list, what would you have said? My assumption was always that LOTR was a pin you considered to be an "A" game. I guess the "A" for enjoyability is what I have been hearing on your shows. Really interesting to see how this review ended up.

#2742 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

We will continue to work on making reviews better reflect overall score but we have to find a great way of doing it.

It really is why you need to watch the show to understand what those grades mean to both you and Greg. As is usually the case in assessment, the narrative is more important than the letter grade.

#2774 5 years ago

You've gotta love Castor Troy!

4 months later
#3861 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

This game Deserves a full on SDTM detailed review and game play challenge.

Agreed - and Zach, since people in this thread are discussing whether this pin is the GOAT (and Kaneda just went off on that in a podcast), maybe you and Greg could incorporate that discussion in the review since you already reviewed the game before. What makes a pinball machine the GOAT and is JJ POTC really in the running? Love to hear your perspective on that.

7 months later
#4746 4 years ago

I can't believe that I have watched 100 of these shows, which probably means I have spent more time watching SDTM than Seinfeld.

Things that make you go, hmm.

3 weeks later
#4802 4 years ago

I always enjoy Zach's comments about a game so I wish he would engage in the review. He should just say from the start that his review will only discuss what he really likes about the game or things he finds interesting (neither good or bad). That allows him to be totally honest without putting him in a difficult position as a distributor. Let Greg provide the negative comments when they are warranted.

1 year later
#5505 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I can see why they would think TAF would be over rated, but it was a really innovative game for its time. I'd love to own one if I could find a nice example.

I don't know that anyone regrets buying TAF . . . or the day they sell it.

2 years later
#6128 8 months ago

Did you guys think about your SDTM reviews when composing this list? For example, you both gave JJ POTC a much better review than Walking Dead and you ranked Indiana Jones higher than anything on your top 10 list except for GB. And Metallica makes this Top 10 list, yet only receives a B+ from Greg and a B from Zach in you SDTM review.

Things that make you go Hmmmm.

#6144 8 months ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

They say right in the video that they are trying to be objective (as objective as you can be on a list like this), so it makes sense it wouldn't fully follow their own reviews. In any case, it is a list made for fun and conversation, don't think a full audit is in order.

i assume they are being objective whenever they review a machine. Not trying to "audit" anything, just found it interesting and wondered what Greg and Zach had to say about the inconsistency. I would think that anyone who watches SDTM would be surprised that Indiana Jones didn't make their top 10. That's what prompted me to check back on their latest list of games.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
O'fallon, IL
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
$ 16.00
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk
Other
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
JURASSIC PARK PRO Pre-order!
The Pinball Place
Pinball Machine
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Columbia, SC
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects
Sound/Speakers
$ 51.45
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 35.00
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
$ 17.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 20.00
Electronics
Gameroom Mods
Electronics
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 300.00
$ 289.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Maine Home Recreation
Armor and blades
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider burley9043.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinball-show-straight-down-the-middle-a-pinball-show?tu=burley9043 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.