stare.gif
f35b2ff373368a44c84b2d1e84b8048d6c2b3c14 (resized).jpg
IMG20220412195552 (resized).jpg
A29E882C-2FDB-4220-BC1A-F00A36E60085 (resized).jpeg
Photo_20170524_120226 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1898 Deadpool Pinball first impressions Posted by ZMeny (5 years ago)

Post #5108 R&M unboxing. Posted by Tuna_Delight (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider OnTheSnap.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#760 6 years ago
Quoted from pinstadium:

Remarkable video editing and coverage! I wonder how many POTC machines have been sold because of these videos? . I hvae been getting many orders for the POTC Pin Stadiums and I bet they are ones that saw these and decided to buy the machine.
Keep up the over the top work guys!!!

It sold me. Working on placing my order.

Pinball n00b here. Consider me a sign of growth in the hobby. . Just hit 1000 games on my new Dialed in and broke 2.5 million. Pretty much never played pinball until 8 weeks ago..

#765 6 years ago

I've never owned or really played a machine with stacked rules. This will be my first. I do really like the simple rules, modes, progression of dialed in. Hopefully I find this game as much fun when I power it up at home the first time.

#767 6 years ago

I've watched the POTC videos a couple of times, and my head is exploding with the rule set

It's hard to see the target as each rule is described. Hopefully when this thing ships to me, it has a decently documented rule set. But if not, it'll be a lot of weeks with the glass off hitting switches.

#778 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

For $7k though you get so much game with Houdini. Having 125 modes in POTC is amazing with 25 randomly selected per game but if all of the main modes are about hitting the character shots from that movies scenes and you can't hear those characters voices during the modes (as well as seen video) I'm not sure how that's going to play out in terms of them feeling unique.

I wonder if the Gibbs callouts recorded by Kevin McNally have lines that are specific to the events in a scene that a mode is based on?

Yah - my hope though is that the fun of the game/layout transcends the code style. I suck at pinball, but having great fun with dialed in. I hope the code on POTC won't spoil the simple fun and challenge that they managed on Dialed In.

The toys and layout looks fun. Lots of multi balls. Lots of non mode challenges. Risk reward. Seems like a ton of fun. And then the modes challenging you to work through lots of varied shot combos.

#785 6 years ago

It’s a bummer when your top rated pin can’t be bought. Almost need to split our pins you can buy new. And pins you have to hunt for used.

#811 6 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Yeah that’s kinda where we are at a lot of times. Complicated pinball to us equals no fun

Maybe a lot of software work, but they could have multiple game modes, including "simplified" rule version, that makes the games simple and linear.

Also, I really wish these new machines had WiFi/networking, where the community could post and compete with scores. Would be really cool to see a world wide top score and aim for it. Get in the top 25, etc etc.

We are in the age of cloud computing and WiFi everywhere. Probably this is really easy to implement.

#864 6 years ago

I think the art looks great. Original, captivating, and really pops.

I’d be a buyer, but too much blood spatter for my kids to have it around. We all love to play, so. Have to keep things kid friendly. This thing will give them nightmares!!

1 week later
#906 6 years ago

Makes a lot of sense to say Stern is focused on its greatest sales strength - which is to retail and on route. Vs home collectors.

The other thing that seems to have changed in the last couple of years is the merging of video and pinball. Which significantly ups the production effort needed on these machines. To do it really well requires teams where some guys are totally focused on graphics, animation and video. Lengthing the production time needed.

Games like TNA made by a guy with skill in electronics, fabrication, music, and programming - it’s just awesome. But for Stern/JJp it’s a team of guys to do the same work. It’s great that stern brought back in a veteran (Eddy) that has video game experience and pinball. Perfectly suited for the new modern machines that merge both disciplines.

#913 6 years ago

So Iron Maiden or TNA?

#932 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I hear ya there, I just can't get into their music, at least not enough to justify a $5600-$9k purchase. For that type of money I need to at least enjoy the music and theme. For a moment I did think about getting an Iron Maiden premium over a Pirates LE...then I went to play a Pirates LE prototype and after 5 games I knew that is the game for me, lol. Still looking forward to playing Iron Maiden out on location.

I have a Pirates LE on pre-order and I'm waffling on it. With a delay to August, and watching all the streams, slowly loosing my enthusiasm. The game looks amazing. I'm new to the hobby, and not yet feeling too stocked about the super complexity. My Dialed In is a fun shooter, with simple rules.

My TNA has shipped, so assuming I'm in love with it, I may jump ship from my Pirates order. Pun intended. Simple fun rules, impossible to master. Chaos. Sound. Light show. I'm more excited about TNA than Pirates. Since the deposit is refundable, I will wait until summer to see how I feel about a third pin.

#936 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah, I understand, TNA does look very cool, looking forward to playing one. I don't mind the wait for Pirates as I think it will be well worth it. Pirates has a deep objective based ruleset but the rules are also pretty straight forward. There's a main shot on the playfield for each of the 5 movies, hit them enough and chapters for that movie lights. Start the mode at the spinning magnet shot area (not sure of exact name, lol), play all 5 modes for a movie and unlock that movies mini wizard mode.
Multiballs are then started based on completing tasks in certain areas of the game. I think for Curse of the Black Pearl MB you need to sink a ship using the mini playfield. Play and / or beat everything (25 modes, 5 movie multiballs, 5 mini wizard modes) and unlock the Break the Curse super wizard mode. That's a very simple breakdown of the rules as there's also a ton of strategy to add using chapter multipliers, multipliers for beating modes, multipliers for number of super jackpots collected, character abilities, etc.

Definitely sounds great. I have watched all the JJP streams, and have a good feel for the game play. In the meantime, I've expanded to a 2 pin collection, so my desperation to get a POTC soon is subsided. To be revisited in the fall when they start shipping.

The real question though - will JJP announce the next pin before Pirates ships? If they do, and I like the theme better, maybe I will switch. Really doubt they will announce early again though. I already heard they wished they had waited to unveil POTC at TPF instead of 6 months earlier.

For POTC we will have been watching a full year of video before it finally ships. That has to eventually hurt sales?

#950 6 years ago

I watched the archive on twitch. Great show guys. I think the comedy is better than the pinball content.

Houdini vs POTC. Hmmm.. is Houdini really that good? The tight shots kind of turned me off from it..

1 month later
#1212 5 years ago

You guys have to accept you are THE VOICE of the community. So when you rank a pin really low like this, it gives us N00bs HUGE pause from making a purchase.

But basically, you love the game/rules. Hate the theme. So this shoots it to the bottom of your list. Even below a lot of "meh" pins. Because you REALLY hate the theme, and gave it a D there.

So I guess as a community leader, you can review a pin based on what Zach likes personally. Or on the execution of a product as a whole. I think most of us are used to product reviews where it's ranked as a product objectively. Not personally. I think this is why we're all dazed and confused when a guy we (I) really look up to, ranks something so low. When we expected the opposite. But it's because it's a rating based on personal taste. Not an objective view of a product.

Anyway - I've come to peace with the fact that Zach hates IMDN metal, and this colored the result. If you take that component out of the review, I think the pin would be a top 5 for you?

I'm looking at it as a "monster" pin, with music to match. So then it's not about the pin or the music. It's about shooting down monsters, with a super high energy sound track. When I think of it this way, it's a must own. When I think of it as a statement of "I love this band", I don't want to go there.

#1275 5 years ago

I actually think IMDN is pretty family friendly. It’s not Disney. But it’s a cartoon monster. TWD is way hardcore.

Also it’s super fun for kids to shoot it. With the ramps and big center target, balanced scoring.

I watched the pinstadium stream and picked up a set. Looked fun. And I like that I can dim it to make it more subtle.

I picked up a premium with HD glass, shaker, now pinstadium. Super amped for this. But my 9 year old daughter is more excited than me.

#1303 5 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

What I want to say is, the way STERN or better Keith made this Iron Maiden game you don't have to like Maiden to like it. If you hate maiden you just have to forget that it's not an original theme.

Exactly!! I bought my IMDN pin as a cartoon monster pin. They did a great job making the design universally appalling vs hardcore fan specific. That’s why they went with Eddie and all cartoons instead of focusing on the band.

When we played it at Golden Gate Festival it changed my pre bias immediately.

#1320 5 years ago

On the POTC tangent, the last stream is a few guys having a great time. Victory/defeat. All inside of one game. Looked great. And the guys did a really good energetic job marketing the machine this week. The wizard modes really elevate the risk, and make the movies more unique. I think that's one piece that's been missing for me when I watch and when I played it.

I've been hitting Chaos in Quantum City on DILE most sessions lately, and I really feel the build up. The machine has a personality. I think POTC will get there with a lot more polish of the gameplay code/style.

But I'm super stoked to have my IMDN Premium ordered. It's a seriously fun and deep game, with tons of shot variety.

In terms of needing a deep pin for home fun - well I love my TNA, which isn't deep at all. It's a shooter, it builds tension, it's insanely fast/brutal. And as a result has really helped me learn the game. While also being the one pin my family consistently plays together.

#1345 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Buffalo schmuffalo. My B wasn’t far off from their 9/10 rating

But it’s all relative not apples to apples. Iron Maiden is walking to the bottom of your list.

Love yah Zach - I almost didn’t buy the premium after watching the review. But then I realized it was a kick ass monster theme pin with high energy music. Then my music preference played zero in the decision to buy it.

Now to wait for Willy Wonka, or grab a Star Trek VE. Or wait to see Dead Pool.

1 week later
#1411 5 years ago

POTC is a beautiful game. I just wish it had more humor. And that all the movies weren’t “qualify, shoot characters, multiball, wizard”. 5x times. If each movie had a unique personality (which it does in the wizard mode only), I think I’d be more excited about it.

Anyway for now I went with IMDN. When POTC ships late fall I think about it again.

#1416 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Have you guys played potc yet?

Yah, about 8 games at Golden Gate Pinball festival. best looking hardware at the show. We played back to back POTC and Iron maiden for some hours. Waiting in line.

My 10 year old daughter had a lot more fun on IMDN. As did I, so we bought a premium. I'm still seriously thinking of a POTC some day, but struggling with it.

1 month later
#1664 5 years ago

Star Wars has a theme that practically sells it site unseen.

I’ve played some hours on Star Wars. And it’s fun. But pretty much you plunge into trouble. The rule set takes a lot of plays to become coherent. Overall it’s uninspired game with a great theme and fast flow.

Iron Maiden feels and shoots like an inspired game design. It’s special. Inspired layout. Inspired software. Being a multi year project for Keith, and inspired programming from new blood at stern.

I think Zach needs to own a premium IMDN for a couple months. Just like how Star Wars grew on him, despite very poor impressions of the game at release and months after.

#1667 5 years ago

I personally struggled with which to buy. SW and IMDN. And watched the SDTM video review with Valdimort as a guest. Personally it helped sway me away from the pin.

However I went on location and played the crap out of sw. While I’m a life Long die hard fan, I struggled to enjoy it.

At the golden gate pinball festival I got my first hands on a IMDN. I don’t like the band at all. But saw it as an amazing monster themed pin with matching music. So this overcame the dislike for the music/band on its own. I ended up having a lot of fun and enjoying the shots. In my first 10 plays I had gotten trooper and mummy. Played through modes and got hooked.

Maybe some day I’ll get a sw. depending on what comes out q4 and q1.

#1669 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Nice choice. Now let’s hear your record on consequetive loops. Man I love that shot my record is eight I think

Four so far. It gets going FAST and timing is tough. Also a late hit often ends up with a drain.

Three on the inner loop.

2 weeks later
#1797 5 years ago

I wouldn’t confuse “subjective opinion” with “biased opinion”.

IMO STDM has their own subjective take on pins they review. But not a biased one.

Anyway - they are the only game in town for reviews, and I give them an A+ for the review content they have produced so far.

And oh - thanks to Zach for buying a new pin every week to keep us entertained.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 16.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

6,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

6,150 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
Machine - For Sale
Hutto, TX
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider OnTheSnap.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinball-show-straight-down-the-middle-a-pinball-show?tu=OnTheSnap and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.