stare.gif
f35b2ff373368a44c84b2d1e84b8048d6c2b3c14 (resized).jpg
IMG20220412195552 (resized).jpg
A29E882C-2FDB-4220-BC1A-F00A36E60085 (resized).jpeg
Photo_20170524_120226 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1898 Deadpool Pinball first impressions Posted by ZMeny (5 years ago)

Post #5108 R&M unboxing. Posted by Tuna_Delight (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fytr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1223 5 years ago

I thought the review was fair enough for a couple of guys who aren’t Maiden fans, though the theme score of D wasn’t well considered.

You may hate Maiden but there is no arguing that the stories from their songs, their mascot Eddie, etc. are perfect to base a kick ass pinball machine on. So theme deserves a higher score.

This game will be a timeless classic esp. for anyone who is a fan of the band.

I’m thankful they didn’t waste it on a disposable theme like Guardians, which nobody will care about in 10 years after Disney releases 500 other forgetable super hero movies.

#1309 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I can't blame Stern for making more pins based on Marvel. It is a major part of worldwide POP culture and I am all for making pins that play on that. Look at the top 10 all time worldwide (now I know this doesn't account for inflation or population increases) but marvel has 4 in the top 10: Avengers, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Avengers: Infinity War, and Black Panther. Go further top 15 then you can add in Iron Man and Captain America. The others in the top 10 are the likes of Avatar, Titanic, Star Wars, and Harry Potter. So I don't think it is a 'waste' of a good design to go with Deadpool or Guardians of the Galaxy. I would like to see Stern do another Avengers pin based on the Infinity War Part 1 and Part 2. We'll see.
That said, I very much like having music bands in the mix as well as original unlicensed games.

That is all true. My point was that because of the large number of super hero movies Disney is cranking out each year that none of them will be that special in the long run.

This game is special, so it's better that it's mated to the Iron Maiden theme so well, which will make it a timeless classic, at least for fans of Iron Maiden. In 20 years it will still be an incredible Iron Maiden pin, much like IJ is still a great pin regardless of the age of the material.

None of the Marvel shit will age that well if for no other reason that memories of it will be washed away by the literally dozens of newer movies Disney will crank out in the years ahead.

Quoted from delt31:

I love Zach but an emenim pin is a bad idea.

Who in their right mind wants a pin themed on a 40+ year old who still can't wear his pants all the way up and who's claim to fame is a catalog of songs where he whines about his mommy issues??

3 months later
#2186 5 years ago

I was interested to hear your opinions since I consider you to be "current gen" players at heart and wasn't sure you'd "get" TNA.
I think you guys were pretty spot on with this review and am in general agreement with everything you said. You must be coming around!

btw I bent my scoop ever so subtlely as Scott suggests and it improved it 100%.

Looking at your overall game rankings though I find little to recommend. They just make no sense relative to one another. Perhaps your tastes and judgements have refined over time as you'd expect with more exposure to different game and experience. You might consider adjusting the relative rankings over time to reflect that (eg. a perfect 10 2 years ago might be a 9 or 8 today with your wizened older more experienced eyes). I'm not saying adjust the scores on your original reviews, just make the relative game rankings independant of those scores.

...and IMDN is a masterpiece for the ages (I have an LE, for the record). There is not a playing session where I'm not singing the lyrics and echoing the callbacks with a great big smile on my face. It's a shame you don't get it. For those of us that do, it's tippity-tops!

2 weeks later
#2542 5 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Nice review, nobody can say you guys are shills nor was it overly mean or critical, this is what an objective review should be like. This is probably the best review you guys have done to date, it was so informative and the best part was when you guys describe the payoff/satisfaction quotient of certain shots to you as individuals. This kind of thing makes us (the audience) relate to your review/thinking a little more, after all playing a game is still very subjective. Props to you both you man, you guys are really getting good at this......and it only took 73 tries.
PS: love the cut scenes with DP...
PPS: Greg, the thing you were struggling to name, the "It Factor" or whatever that was missing IMO is theme integration....maybe you guys need to rename the "Theme" category to "Theme Integration" instead. In any case it kind of ties into what you were saying, is this a generic comic book pin or a DP comic book pin? Do you feel it's catching the vibe of DP when playing it? I hate to say it but it's the World under glass thing. It just didn't capture the essence of DP, for comparison use WOZ.

Agree with the “theme integration” scoring vs “theme”. Learning Zach hates Maiden (the band) is not as useful to me (who loves Maiden) as knowing how well the theme is integrated into the game. Nobody can say that IMDN isn’t an A+ on theme integration with the comic. But for fans of the band itself it’s more like B+.

Anyway, good review on DP agree it will be a killer location game.

#2622 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I listened to about a half an episode once. The only podcast i listen to regularly is that K guy. I know most people dont like him and i dont even know if i would if i ever met him but i think his show is pretty good and accurate and he doesn't sugarcoat things and i like that about his show. The one show where all the guys do is laugh drives me nuts and i just cant listen to it.

Dude. That show is a total cesspool of unnecesary pinball negativity hosted by a guy that barely plays. Free yourself from its grip and enjoy the company of some podcasters who actually enjoy the hobby. Laughter will set you free!

#2627 5 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

And Zach and Greg's show is CNBC...(you know because of all the business sponsors).

And you can't say that SDTM sugarcoats things either, I was frankly a little shocked by Zach's on-point criticisms of DP.

...but then I remembered all those mean things he said about IMDN. What a b*stard! #stilldeadtome

1 week later
#2761 5 years ago

Simple fix is to just have the total/overall rating be whatever you give it instead of bound by some averaging of the individual scores.

A pinball machine is MORE (or less) than the sum of its parts.

#2764 5 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I dunno about that, it needs to be broken down so we can tell how we arrived at the score.

Yes you still score the individual categories, but you can then apply your own subjective overall rating.

So maybe the Art is C on this game, but it's still an overall A game, because the other aspects more than make up for the shitty art.

My point being, the total game exerience is more (or less) than the sum of its parts (art, rules, etc.). A game can be incredibly good/fun and still be ugly or have some other aspect that's poor.

#2765 5 years ago

Also wanted to comment that the LotR in this video was immaculate. Super nice!

...which made the fact that the color DMD was set to the abysmal "hi def" mode a friggin' crime.

Dot matrix art depends on the display artifacts of the spacing between the dots to provide some of the boundary effects on the indivual pixels in the image. Without that it loses the intended textures and some of the implied detail that the gaps between the pixels provided (similar to how a classic arcade game benefits from a real CRT monitor with scanline artifacts). The art was drawn with these effects in mind.

Set the display to "Dots XL" or "Dots" and you can thank me later.

(Ref: Compare your crappy display to this:

).

1 month later
#3225 5 years ago

Fun topic guys. It's really interesting to think about exactly what elements in one game make it a more complete "world under glass" than another game.

I think a lot of people focus on playfield "toys" or molded pieces that try to evoke a 3D representation of the theme such as IJ's ruins + Idol + planes, WW mountains, ramps, and Bigfoot, etc.

In my own collecting experience I've kind of gone from being drawn to the 90's B/W games with lots of this type of stuff to where sometimes now I find it a bit off-putting for some reason.

For example, the new JJPPOTC game is by all measures and amazing achievment in this regard, but the game just leaves me flat. The molded rocking ship is cool for sure, but then I notice the slingshot plastics look (frankly) terrible.

So I kind of have a love/hate relationship with this stuff now. I actually dislike figurines on the playfield a lot but went ahead and upgraded the ones on my IMDN LE since it already had them and the ones it came with were pretty middling. I even thought about just installing the flat plastics instead at one point.

I guess what I'm saying is that sometime's I feel like this stuff is like putting custom Ferrari body-molding on a Fiero.

fieroferrari (resized).jpgfieroferrari (resized).jpg

...it can really cheapen the feel of a game.

I'm gaining a new appreciation for the simplicity and often beauty of an EM or SS game with amazing art and subtle lighting that keep it classy and use the artwork and lighting to present a more artisitic & timeless presentation vs. something that looks like a cheap dollar store toy.

There's a fine line between "World Under Glass" and cheezball.

4 months later
#4076 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I always like hearing your point of view but it's starting to damage reputations

Hahaha! What reputations? After that dodgy IMDN review? Never forget!! Never Forget...

Seriously though, Wonka looks amazing. All you haters gonna hate. Maybe Deep Root can come up with something that will meet your out-of-this-world expectations? Keep dreaming.

It's friggin' pinball. It's about how does the game make you feel when you play it. Is the sum more than the total of parts?

Anyway looking forward to playing one someday.

btw. Great job on the gameplay video I wish all new games got that treatment.

4 years later
#6106 8 months ago

Some extremely questionable choices there, but I guess if your pinball experience starts in 1997 it makes some kind of sense.

IMHO:

Stern ST is a cost-reduced STTNG without the amazing cast participation, artwork, and sound. STTNG > Stern ST all day everyday.

JP2 isn't a top 10 game. Great game, cool dinosaur, it's just not that special though. IMDN is superior in many aspects such as theme integration, callouts, music (obviously), and artwork.

Ghostbusters has too many playability defects to be considered top 10 - flipper gap, Scoleri Bros, original linear mode progression, ball jumping the inlane guides, etc.

TWD is an intense theme with great rules. Clunky layout, ugly art, terrible callouts (orig sw). Not top 10.

Instead maybe consider Flash Gordon, Eight Ball Deluxe, or Quicksilver. I hear good things about Ritchie's Spiderman as well.

5 months later
#6189 3 months ago

Nice job on those trailers SDTM!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 300.00
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks
Other
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation
Decals
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
PWM Designs
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 16.00
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball
Other
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fytr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinball-show-straight-down-the-middle-a-pinball-show?tu=Fytr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.