stare.gif
f35b2ff373368a44c84b2d1e84b8048d6c2b3c14 (resized).jpg
IMG20220412195552 (resized).jpg
A29E882C-2FDB-4220-BC1A-F00A36E60085 (resized).jpeg
Photo_20170524_120226 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1898 Deadpool Pinball first impressions Posted by ZMeny (5 years ago)

Post #5108 R&M unboxing. Posted by Tuna_Delight (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DakotaMike.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4799 4 years ago
Quoted from RandomTask:

zmeny I think everyone agrees you should restart reviewing, in addition to your guest reviewers. We all miss your scores. Just embrace your 'shill' critics... Place your score in its' own special column where you add a disclaimer that if you give a lower score you sell less and your kids end up homeless...

I second this notion! We love the Zach reviews, and we all trust you buddy! Just put a little disclaimer, and you're good. We need our Z-man's input!

#4803 4 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Third-ed.
It's not like its insider trading or something serious. Its pinball. We are talking about expensive toys. I agree that you should just have a disclaimer for the uninformed that you are also a vendor. You tended to "gush" over new titles before you were a vendor anyway. It's not "shilling". You just seem like an excitable guy who is really into his hobby (oh uh, disclaimer, it's also his livelihood)

Although, now that I think about it...there could be a problem the other way around, where his company is trying to sell a pin that he personally thinks isn't so great. Hard for him to do a video for flipNout where he says, "Come on down and buy the latest Stern!" but then on SDTM he says, "Man, this new Stern kinda sucks!" This crossed my mind specifically when it came to that new SW mini-pin that just got released. Its not the kind of machine that SDTM would probably devote a whole review to anyway, but I could see a conflict there between business interests and SDTM interests. So kind of anti-shilling in a way.

Just thought that might be another reason for Zach to not review machines, in case they're bad. Luckily, we live in an age where most new pinball machines are astoundingly good, when you really think about it. Prices maybe not so good, but sounds, music, rules, gameplay, are all pretty high for just about every machine that comes out now.

EDIT: Just saw Burley's post, and he has the right idea. I think we're of a similar mindset.

#4810 4 years ago

Another great episode. Thanks guys! I noticed that your podcast feed on itunes doesn't update anymore. Did you guys just decide it wasn't worth it to rip the audio and maintain a separate audio-only version?

2 months later
#4897 4 years ago
Quoted from Rando:

Enjoyed the show as always, you guys are fun to watch. Sounds like there will be less of you to see in the future, or at least in this format, good luck with whatever you decide to do.
One thing confused me from the episode, at one point you were talking about the challenges of doing this and Greg mentioned "still being a doctor"... which one of you guys is a Doc??
Luck!

Quoted from Darscot:

No offence to Bone but he is clearly the one in need of therapy . Not sure if Zach is an MD, but I think he is some form of therapist.

Yeah, I might be speaking out-of-turn, but I think Zach is/was a Clinical Psychologist. If I'm recalling correctly.

I wonder what the show will be like going forward? I wouldn't mind if they started doing Skype/What'sApp/Facetime episodes with a split-screen, if it meant we got more content. I know they like quality, and of course its always gonna be better if they're in the same room, but at this point 60 days, or even just 30 days, between episodes is too long.

And I miss some of their long-running segments like, "This Month on Pinside / In Pinball" and "This or That." Hopefully, they can find a way to make it work going forward.

#4922 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

It’s the Best Stern in years. But for every JP2, there is a Munsters. It’s hit or miss with Stern.

Munsters is fun on location though. I can play a handful of games on it, get to Munster Madness, see most of what the game has to offer, and walk away feeling good. On so many of the newer Sterns and JJs, I either walk away feeling like I got my butt kicked, or I walk away feeling like I'd have no chance to see everything in the game unless I brought it home.

Note: I'm lucky because a local arcade just put a Munsters in, so I can play it to my hearts content without worrying about the shallow code or about resale.

2 months later
#4949 4 years ago

Yeah, how about we go back to bi-weekly SDTM episodes during this quarantine! Keep everyone's spirits up.

2 months later
#5044 3 years ago

I'm sure the videos will be back up by tomorrow night or Sunday morning. I've been saying this a lot today, but man Pinball Media sure is a roller coaster! I've decided to just laugh off the drama and enjoy the ride. Can't control other people, just have to roll with the punches. Drama Queens gonna drama, and haters gonna hate.

Might as well just smile in their faces!

#5051 3 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

HOT WHEELS PINBALL UNBOXING & FIRST LOOK
NEW LINK:

Quoted from ZMeny:

Second Hot Wheels Video Of The Day! This time....
HOT WHEELS PINBALL FIRST IMPRESSIONS

VICTORY!

#5086 3 years ago

New pinball machines finally coming out again...I think my pants are trending up!

#5104 3 years ago

Nice unboxing. I think SDTM might be the new king of pinball unboxing videos.

#5111 3 years ago

I hope that this means we're gonna get an SDTM review of Rick and Morty sometime soon!

#5133 3 years ago

I think it's interesting how so far no game has gotten a straight A. I wonder if any game will ever break the A- barrier.

#5136 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Interesting that they haven't rated MM or MMR yet

Don't know exactly why, but I get the feeling that neither MM nor AFM are personal favorites of theirs. But I'd love for them to do more reviews period, as there are plenty of games out there that I'd love to hear their takes on.

#5137 3 years ago

Wow, just watched Episode 3 of SDTM back from Feb of 2017. What a fun blast from the past! Greg and Zach had such wide-eyed enthusiasm for the hobby. A few highlights that I got a kick out of were- the guys exclusively using the term "retailer" over "distro", the fact that in a one-year-period Greg had purchased 2 pins and Zach had gone through 25+. Sounds about right! I also enjoyed their discussion on The Jetsons pinball machine, that's a game you don't hear much about. Lastly, I thought it was fun that you could tell that even though Zach and Greg were friends, they definitely didn't seem to know each other nearly as well as they do now.

A very fun watch for an old fan, and even though it was early days, it's still a very good episode. It was great to just hear them talk pinball for 40 minutes. Look how happy those two knuckleheads are!

#5142 3 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Yeah, in addition it has neon coated metal ramps, a subway and 4 TMNT Figurines,....
...oh wait, that was the Data East one.
OK, TMNT Pro has a "static" Party Bus but that's not a "toy", that's just "decoration".
(If this counts Ghostbusters is the most loaded Pro ever. It only has a Slimer bash toy on a fishing rod, but a static cityscape, static Stay Puft, and static firehouse.)
Don't nget me wrong, I think TMNT is awesome from what I've seen, but it's not "loaded".

I mean, IMO it's at least as "loaded" as JP3, and more "loaded" than Stranger Things, at least comparing Pro to Pro. Plus, it's basically code-complete out of the box, which is big deal for pins these days.

#5172 3 years ago
you-get-a-video-and-you-get-a-video-everyone-gets-a-video.jpgyou-get-a-video-and-you-get-a-video-everyone-gets-a-video.jpg
#5181 3 years ago

Nah, Dominoes Deep Dish is pretty darn good.

2 weeks later
#5231 3 years ago

Very nice to have all the install steps laid out simply in a video. Always easier to watch someone else do it, than read about it in a book. (That's what she said!) I'd be curious to hear a follow-up review after you've tried the system for a while and dialed it in. As you guys didn't seem quite as blown away by it as I thought you would. Sounds like it's more of a subtle improvement, maybe? Versus a total game-changer?

Also, I'd recommend that you guys try to just ignore the haters. It's the same two or three guys that post negative stuff after almost every video. They're broken records that think you're dying for their wisdom and critique.

#5233 3 years ago

BTW, I think it's awesome you guys are making so many SDTM videos again. There was quite a drought for a while, and now we're getting a new video almost every week. I hope the trend continues. Best damn Youtube Pinball show out there!

5 months later
#5332 3 years ago

Nice job gentlemen. Thanks for blessing us with a Boxing Day SDTM treat! Fun idea for an episode!

#5380 3 years ago

Looks like a nice shooter, but I'm worried about how satisfying the mode/song shots are. I usually like it when a pin's modes have strong integration, and I like to have fun things happen when I make lit mode shots. It seems like on LZ the song continues either way, whether you make shots or not, and the only benefit to making mode shots is scoring and progress towards a wizard mode. Sorta makes it feel like one long multiball mode, regardless of the number of actual pinballs on the table. I just didn't see a lot of satisfaction from actually making lit mode shots. Still, that's just my initial impression.

1 week later
#5479 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I actually think Dark Knight is better than B66

Whoa! Strong take Chuck!

#5517 3 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

Are you sure? Have you played BBBB? Thunderbirds?

I haven't personally played Bug's Bunny's Birthday Bash, but I've watched others play it. And it actually looks like an alright game. Definitely far worse games out there.

3 months later
#5635 2 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

SDTM The Mandalorian Pinball FIRST LOOK & FIRST IMPRESSIONS
Comment below on your level of hype!

Nice. Wife and I enjoyed the video. Helped us get a better look and overview of the game.

And people can say what they want about you Zach, but they can't deny that you've got enthusiasm coming out the ears!

5 months later
#5743 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Umm, I dont know which loops is the top loop is great, and I was able to Beatles it and loop 4-5 times in a row at times.
That top loop that lead to the upper flipper is great.
The lower spinner to loop next to the "scoop" I didn't care for, didn't like that or the "scoop" shot.
Is it one of those?
Hitting that "Tail wHip" loop with the upper flipper is tough. But I probably only played like 6-7 games so I didn't master all the shots or anything.
Still need to see how good the rules are.

I'm glad to hear that the upper loop is reasonably repeatable. I LOVE hitting the loop on Beatles multiple times in a row. So fun. This bodes well!

#5749 2 years ago
Quoted from haiderdj:

$9250 LE
$8000 SE

$8k for an SE isn't too bad. I expected worse. That compares very favorably to a Stern Premium. Me likey!

3 months later
#5802 2 years ago
Quoted from Bmad21:

To the dudes at silverball and TPN.
Please do not ridicule or make fun of Jar jar binks the man who played him contemplated and almost committed suicide because of the whole ridicule.
https://www.wimp.com/actor-who-played-jar-jar-binks-opens-up-about-almost-committing-suicide/

Wow, that's a downer. One would hope that he's come to terms with things now.

I don't know that just because the actor had struggles, that we shouldn't be able to criticize or make fun of the character.

2 months later
#5822 2 years ago

It's pretty neat. I like that it has both a display and physical moving elements. I've never seen that before. It's a good idea that I'm surprised no one has attempted before.

2 months later
#5844 1 year ago

Nice video guys. I'm playing a TS4 later today. Can't wait to see if it's really as fun as it looks!

#5850 1 year ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Likewise, we are looking forward to you admitting it really stinks. So now we see who budges first.

You played it and thought it was that bad? I'm surprised, because it's a well-designed game, with lots of good shots, and fun code. I could see not liking it for personal reasons, but other than the price, I don't see how one could call TS stinky.

1 month later
#5891 1 year ago

I can't believe people are still posting the "biased shill, paid off by the manufacturers" comments. I mean this happens after every single review.

Are people just now coming to these conclusions? I don't get it. Zach has been a distro for a very long time now.

I find SDTM videos very entertaining, and Iove Zach and Greg's personalities and interactions. I like to hear what they think of different games, but I certainly don't use their videos as buying advice.

#5931 1 year ago
Quoted from Scandell:

You guys should grade these on your own curves. Or…you can have a reputation for liking everything:

Zach and Greg base their grade curve on the totality of pinball machines.

So if Toy Story is a B on rules, then a super basic early-SS game with no depth and unbalanced scoring might be a D or F, you know?

TS4's layout might be a B, but then a bad symmetrical-layout EM with little to do or shoot for might be a D.

Same with toys, compared to some 70s games with no ramps or drop targets, or toys whatsoever, TS4 is packed.

Take theme, sure TS4 isn't the best of Toy Story, but as a theme it's miles better than Tennis, Marbles, and Skiing. All of which are real pinball themes. If TS4 is a D theme, then what's that make Hangliding or Italian Merchant ships?

So Zach and Greg's grading scale is pretty accurate when you take all pinball machines together.

1 month later
#5974 1 year ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

THIS OR THAT IS BACK….LET’S EFFIN GOOOO!
Remember to comment on your picks and whether you agree or disagree.
Strong Takes Lie Ahead…

Yes!!!! Finally another SDTM This or That!

Nice one guys. Can't wait to watch it when I get back to the house.

1 week later
#5996 1 year ago
Quoted from Coz:

Pinside This or That?
For around $3900…would you rather have the newer Stern JP Home pin or the original Data East JP ? Why?
[quoted image]

Ooh, good one!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 17.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 16.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

6,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

6,150 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 289.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Maine Home Recreation

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eagan, MN
Machine - For Sale
Hutto, TX
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DakotaMike.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinball-show-straight-down-the-middle-a-pinball-show?tu=DakotaMike and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.