bean.gif
it.gif
stare.gif
f35b2ff373368a44c84b2d1e84b8048d6c2b3c14 (resized).jpg
IMG20220412195552 (resized).jpg
A29E882C-2FDB-4220-BC1A-F00A36E60085 (resized).jpeg
Photo_20170524_120226 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,219 posts in this topic. You are on page 72 of 125.
#3551 5 years ago

SDTM Episode 82: Spider-Man Vault Pinball Machine Review

#3552 5 years ago

Damn Zach, what was in that barn? You looked worse than normal...but seriously what pins did you pick up?

#3553 5 years ago
Quoted from Beebl:

Damn Zach, what was in that barn? You looked worse than normal...but seriously what pins did you pick up?

It was bad man, eyes swollen shut at first. Makes me timid about picking up dirty machines now.

#3554 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

It was bad man, eyes swollen shut at first. Makes me timid about picking up dirty machines now.

maybe you were bitten by a small spider. That’s how Spider-Man got his start, doncha know?

#3555 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

You should Never pick them up! You should call me and I will get them away from your house safely!! We are here to help!

#3556 5 years ago

Are you guys doing the collect the code words to be entered in the holiday give away thing again this year? That was awesome last year!

#3557 5 years ago
Quoted from alpo3744:

Are you guys doing the collect the code words to be entered in the holiday give away thing again this year? That was awesome last year!

With so many other pinball media doing something similar this year, we passed on putting another together. We kinda lost our ass last year on shipping costs haha. We will do another giveaway soon enough though.

#3558 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

maybe you were bitten by a small spider. That’s how Spider-Man got his start, doncha know?

He bad mouth Spiderman Vault and look what happen. I will say this, I paused the video early so I could find a Spideman Vault. Found one then continued watching. After watching 3/4 of the review I empty my shopping cart, no wait I left it in the shopping cart and walked out of store. I was that close the spending $7500. Maybe I should just look for a MBrLE.

#3559 5 years ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

He bad mouth Spiderman Vault and look what happen. I will say this, I paused the video early so I could find a Spideman Vault. Found one then continued watching. After watching 3/4 of the review I empty my shopping cart, no wait I left it in the shopping cart and walked out of store. I was that close the spending $7500. Maybe I should just look for a MBrLE.

Get Munsters, Elvira 3, and MBRSE instead.

#3560 5 years ago

Stern Star Wars Premium or Monster Bash SE?

#3561 5 years ago

Ok, the comment from Greg "No, thats the shocker" almost made me piss myself. TOO funny. Another great show.

#3562 5 years ago
Quoted from Beebl:

Damn Zach, what was in that barn?

Anthrax

#3563 5 years ago

Thanks for the response Zach

#3564 5 years ago

Ok, I want to ask Zach and the Bone the same question I was faced with in 2008... Three machines, all the same price... no pro, no premium, no LE, just one trim level, Stern. So at the end of Expo 2008, Mike Pacak had 9 machines NOB used in the Flipout tournament, three of each title: Stern Spiderman, Stern POTC, and Stern Family Guy. Price was $3500 out the door, your pick. Which machine would you have chosen? Total number of plays after tournament was 255 on the machine I brought home.

#3565 5 years ago

For me, knowing what I know now and having significant time on all these, I would probably go Spider-Man. Those other two are great games, but find myself shooting certain shots way too much.

Spider-Man spreads things out better imo.

#3566 5 years ago

@chuckwurt, I love shooting Spidey... but there were some things that Zach mentioned that makes playing Spidey, um, tedious. The ruleset doesn't go deep, and I might say is somewhat of a standard old school (mid 2000’s old school) mentality. At one point it feels like you are stuck in shampoo mode... Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

#3567 5 years ago

The rule set is very much an offshoot of MM and MB.

I've never understood some of the negatives that SM gets. Great game loaded with shots. The back third of the playfield is as stuffed as any game. The toys are good enough. The main negative is it's an easy game. Removing the center post helps that a lot though. It's strange to see so many trip over themselves for MMr, AFMr, and MBr but bag on SM which is very similar in many ways but with more shots.

#3568 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

chuckwurt, I love shooting Spidey... but there were some things that Zach mentioned that makes playing Spidey, um, tedious. The ruleset doesn't go deep, and I might say is somewhat of a standard old school (mid 2000’s old school) mentality. At one point it feels like you are stuck in shampoo mode... Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Yes I completely agree. That’s why it was hard to choose from those three games you mentioned. They all suffer from the shampoo feeling. Haha. I just think Spider-Man is the one that’s the most enjoyable shampoo game. Haha

#3569 5 years ago

Spider man....easy choice you big Bubblehead!

#3570 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Ok, I want to ask Zach and the Bone the same question I was faced with in 2008... Three machines, all the same price... no pro, no premium, no LE, just one trim level, Stern. So at the end of Expo 2008, Mike Pacak had 9 machines NOB used in the Flipout tournament, three of each title: Stern Spiderman, Stern POTC, and Stern Family Guy. Price was $3500 out the door, your pick. Which machine would you have chosen? Total number of plays after tournament was 255 on the machine I brought home.

I would have likely chose SM but the correct choice would have been POTC

#3571 5 years ago

original spidey over vault all day long!

#3572 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

I would have likely chose SM but the correct choice would have been POTC

I dont know man. Its loaded and different but the sinking ship mech is a trainwreck. Plus very little flow, a weird feed that bounces off the top of the right sling, and it's crazy easy. Getting to four winds is super easy and happens all the time. I know theres plenty more after that but it's pretty tedious from that point on. I dont mind a shallow game but that feed bouncing off the top of the sling drives me crazy.

#3573 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I dont know man. Its loaded and different but the sinking ship mech is a trainwreck. Plus very little flow, a weird feed that bounces off the top of the right sling, and it's crazy easy. Getting to four winds is super easy and happens all the time. I know theres plenty more after that but it's pretty tedious from that point on. I dont mind a shallow game but that feed bouncing off the top of the sling drives me crazy.

I would pass on all three titles.

#3574 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Don't be fibbing. I saw 2 of the 3 in a trailer getting pulled by a truck you were riding in just a few weeks ago......

But you are really right, by today's standards none of them hold up great.

#3575 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Its loaded and different but the sinking ship mech is a trainwreck.

Whaaaaat? This might be the greatest toy ever put in a pinball machine.

#3576 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Whaaaaat? This might be the greatest toy ever put in a pinball machine.

It's super cool, it's always broke or disabled though because it not designed great. Pretty cool attempt though.

#3577 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

It's super cool, it's always broke or disabled though because it not designed great. Pretty cool attempt though.

Why are you playing all these broken games?? Haha. I’ve played probably 10 different examples of these, half being on location. It always worked.

The tortuga spinner area, however, that’s ALWAYS messed up. Most commonly switch errors.

#3578 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Says the guy who bought Deadpool! Bwaaaa haaaaa haaaaaa haaaaaa

#3579 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Says the guy who bought Deadpool! Bwaaaa haaaaa haaaaaa haaaaaa

I like deadpool a lot better then those 3.

#3580 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Me too. Deadpool has much more interesting rules, even this early on.

#3581 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Not me but to each their own.

#3582 5 years ago

This or that....

DP Pro or RZ + 2k cash?

#3583 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

For me, knowing what I know now and having significant time on all these, I would probably go Spider-Man. Those other two are great games, but find myself shooting certain shots way too much.
Spider-Man spreads things out better imo.

Now I can honestly say I need to watch a video on how to play SM. I bought a HUO with 1,400 plays on it 14 months ago and literally have only put 6 games on it.

#3584 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

This or that....
DP Pro or RZ + 2k cash?

RZ actually has some fun modes and is pretty unique. No doubt take it and the 2K. You can sell it for $4500 and with the 2k upgrade to a top 20 title easy.

#3585 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

RZ actually has some fun modes and is pretty unique. No doubt take it and the 2K. You can sell it for $4500 and with the 2k upgrade to a top 20 title easy.

No you got to keep the game, not sell it.

#3586 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

No you got to keep the game, not sell it.

I wouldn't buy any game if that was the case. They all get old.

#3587 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

This or that....
DP Pro or RZ + 2k cash?

Definitely RZ and cash.

#3588 5 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Now I can honestly say I need to watch a video on how to play SM. I bought a HUO with 1,400 plays on it 14 months ago and literally have only put 6 games on it.

6 games?!? I’d do that in the first hour of owning it.

#3589 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Definitely RZ and cash.

Id take DP 100% and be happy as hell about it.

#3590 5 years ago

I want to thank everyone for their honest responses... at the time, ops were kind of mad about SPOTC and the sinking ship and airballs... a mod came out to put up poly carb blast armor around it and it started to survive more than a day on site. Spiderman was a great shooter, but the depth of the ruleset compared to Family Guy and the fact that the original heavy metal music package was not what either my wife or I had in mind to listen to for the next umpteen years, we opted for Family Guy, a Lawlor design which we thought might hold it’s value due to the popularity of the TV show.

You have to remember, my thinking was not clouded by a lot of choices for a NIB (or NOB post Expo bargain) HUO pin at the time. I mean we were looking down the barrel of what we thought might be the end of pinball, the titles coming out were 24 and CSI... and as a better than average player, I was looking for more depth than Spiderman, which was kind of a tried and true straight forward ruleset, SPOTC which was ok, but might be a maintenance nightmare (as ops and players alike were complaining about) or you take the latest Pat Lawlor design, and the one with the MOST callouts in the history of recent pinball (in 2008 at least) and that it was $3500 with 255 plays on it (MSRP was like $5700, which meant you could get it for $4k to $5k NIB depending)

So, FGuy was not a bad choice, for me, for $3500 in 2008. At least I know I can most likely break even if I sold it now.

#3591 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

SHOCKING

#3592 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

If you get RZ in a home setting it's not nearly as bad as people think. Unique layout with some easy and some really hard shots, adult theme with profanity, crude heckling, and nudity, fun unique modes, 6 ball multiball, actual call outs by Rob, his wife, and Captain Spaulding, and cool unique art. It doesn't come close to having the smoothness or polish of most sterns or any jjp games but in a decent sized lineup it's a super fun change of pace game. I really enjoyed mine for the 16 months I owned it.

#3593 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

I want to thank everyone for their honest responses... at the time, ops were kind of mad about SPOTC and the sinking ship and airballs... a mod came out to put up poly carb blast armor around it and it started to survive more than a day on site. Spiderman was a great shooter, but the depth of the ruleset compared to Family Guy and the fact that the original heavy metal music package was not what either my wife or I had in mind to listen to for the next umpteen years, we opted for Family Guy, a Lawlor design which we thought might hold it’s value due to the popularity of the TV show.
You have to remember, my thinking was not clouded by a lot of choices for a NIB (or NOB post Expo bargain) HUO pin at the time. I mean we were looking down the barrel of what we thought might be the end of pinball, the titles coming out were 24 and CSI... and as a better than average player, I was looking for more depth than Spiderman, which was kind of a tried and true straight forward ruleset, SPOTC which was ok, but might be a maintenance nightmare (as ops and players alike were complaining about) or you take the latest Pat Lawlor design, and the one with the MOST callouts in the history of recent pinball (in 2008 at least) and that it was $3500 with 255 plays on it (MSRP was like $5700, which meant you could get it for $4k to $5k NIB depending)
So, FGuy was not a bad choice, for me, for $3500 in 2008. At least I know I can most likely break even if I sold it now.

FG isnt a bad game at all. I'd say you did really well at that price. You got a game you've enjoyed for a decade and it can be sold for a small profit if pinball stays halfway relevant.

#3594 5 years ago

Great video as always but I really want to see a Spider-Man Vault faceoff now.

#3595 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Ok, the comment from Greg "No, thats the shocker" almost made me piss myself. TOO funny. Another great show.

Ha ha ha hey I mean that web slinging isn’t far off!!!

Quoted from Bublehead:

I agree with Eric. I’d go SM

Quoted from Ericc123:

Great video as always but I really want to see a Spider-Man Vault faceoff now.

Ha ha that would take about 2hrs lol

#3596 5 years ago

Just good ol pinball talk, pinball news, hard takes, and inappropriate jokes. Enjoy.

https://www.facebook.com/1978540499041059/posts/2322837854611320/

#3597 5 years ago

So listened to all time favorite machines and really surprised that Greg had POTC yet Zach didn't? The review of that game by the two it was the complete opposite. Zach was all over it. Any color on what happened? It's been my surprise pin of the year as it's such a great package and the pirates theme is not over the top POTC which is great for me.

#3598 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

So listened to all time favorite machines and really surprised that Greg had POTC yet Zach didn't? The review of that game by the two it was the complete opposite. Zach was all over it. Any color on what happened? It's been my surprise pin of the year as it's such a great package and the pirates theme is not over the top POTC which is great for me.

Yeah I couldn’t include a machine that I have not owned for a while to really play through it. At that time my wait continued.

#3599 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Yeah I couldn’t include a machine that I have not owned for a while to really play through it. At that time my wait continued.

I hear and respect that. Did the bone get it before you or maybe his local bar has it? I just know he wasn't sold on it during the review (liked it but didn't love) and now it's his 3rd best ever? Wildman - he can't be contained

#3600 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I hear and respect that. Did the bone get it before you or maybe his local bar has it? I just know he wasn't sold on it during the review (liked it but didn't love) and now it's his 3rd best ever? Wildman - he can't be contained

Yeah he’s diggin it a lot. Could barely get him off of it at my house when recording on Saturday.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 17.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 16.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

6,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Sherrill, NY
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 289.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Hutto, TX
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

There are 6,219 posts in this topic. You are on page 72 of 125.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinball-show-straight-down-the-middle-a-pinball-show/page/72?hl=hollywoodbone and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.