bean.gif
it.gif
stare.gif
f35b2ff373368a44c84b2d1e84b8048d6c2b3c14 (resized).jpg
IMG20220412195552 (resized).jpg
A29E882C-2FDB-4220-BC1A-F00A36E60085 (resized).jpeg
Photo_20170524_120226 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,219 posts in this topic. You are on page 61 of 125.
#3001 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

Zach, is there any point at which you will cancel your order and reinvest in something else, or are you so in love with the game that you will wait indefinitely?

Yes.

Quoted from PinMonk:

Going to be tough to knock WoZ off the top, but at least it's already better than Hobbit.

It’s a better game than Woz.

#3002 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Yes.

It’s a better game than Woz.

You gotta get out of the honeymoon period before you have any perspective. You know that. I fell into that trap and ignored my own rule, thinking Dialed In could dethrone WoZ initially, but it became obvious after playing it a lot that it's a double or a triple and not a home run.

Way to early to see where jjPotC falls, except that wherever it is, it will be ahead of Hobbit.

#3003 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Going to be tough to knock WoZ off the top, but at least it's already better than Hobbit.

I played a Woz and a Dialed in last week and WOZ was better than i expected it would be. Not something i would buy personally but it definitely wasnt bad. Dialed in was ok also but i didnt think it was anything special either by any means, but to be fair i only played it a few times. It just didnt seem to thrill me for some reason. I just think that Pirates is going to impress, i have a good feeling about it.

#3004 5 years ago

Interesting. I own WOZ and DI, and I enjoy DI more. I often think I must be missing something when it comes to WOZ. I mostly keep it in the collection for guests who seem to be attracted to it.

I still find myself enjoying MMR and AFMR. I still haven’t finished them. Given my experience with these two, I suspect I’ll like MBR (I’ve never played it).

#3005 5 years ago
Quoted from andrewket:

Interesting. I own WOZ and DI, and I enjoy DI more. I often think I must be missing something when it comes to WOZ. I mostly keep it in the collection for guests who seem to be attracted to it.
I still find myself enjoying MMR and AFMR. I still haven’t finished them. Given my experience with these two, I suspect I’ll like MBR (I’ve never played it).

Well like i said, i have extremely limited play on both games so i may end up loving DI if i played it more. A person cant really tell too much about a game after only a few plays but i guess that i was expecting more from DI because of all the good things that ive heard about it. I have no doubts that it is a great game, i just need time on it. There is something about POTC though that tells me that its going to be special though. I hope to get to play one someday because it looks fun and it is a beautiful game!

#3006 5 years ago
Quoted from andrewket:

I haven't played the new beta of DI, but my main problem is it gets old because the progression is very similar to Ghostbusters, but without the nostalgic bump to get you though. You're climbing the same ladders, uninterrupted and with very little variation, every time. It has way less multiballs than WoZ, and the "quick" multiballs are throwaways. They broke up the mode mode mode mode progression with the Chaos Multiball, and that helps, but there's very little actual integration of the theme in the gameplay itself. The city is under attack, I would have expected more "side" jobs like rescuing people or having the electrical guy go crazy and have him speed way up so you have to get him under control. Or maybe have the evil computer take over the selfie camera and take pictures while mocking you? The spiders are wasted, the drones are under-utilized, it's just a less cohesive package than WoZ.

That said, WoZ was no shining star at release, either. They seem committed to their software, so maybe DI will be less boring to play in a collection someday. Here's hoping. It could be much worse, though. At least it's not Hobbit.

#3007 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I haven't played the new beta of DI, but my main problem is it gets old because the progression is very similar to Ghostbusters, but without the nostalgic bump to get you though. You're climbing the same ladders, uninterrupted and with very little variation, every time. It has way less multiballs than WoZ, and the "quick" multiballs are throwaways. They broke up the mode mode mode mode progression with the Chaos Multiball, and that helps, but there's very little actual integration of the theme in the gameplay itself. The city is under attack, I would have expected more "side" jobs like rescuing people or having the electrical guy go crazy and have him speed way up so you have to get him under control. Or maybe have the evil computer take over the selfie camera and take pictures while mocking you? The spiders are wasted, the drones are under-utilized, it's just a less cohesive package than WoZ.
That said, WoZ was no shining star at release, either. They seem committed to their software, so maybe DI will be less boring to play in a collection someday. Here's hoping. It could be much worse, though. At least it's not Hobbit.

All of this unjustified hate for The Hobbit...tisk tisk

#3008 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Unjustified means without basis. Hobbit has all the bases covered for a less than favorable rating as a game. Graphics and music are top notch, but that can't sustain the love over time.

#3009 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Unjustified means without basis. Hobbit has all the bases covered for a less than favorable rating as a game. Graphics and music are top notch, but that can't sustain the love over time.

Yes, without basis. Many people argue that it’s a widebody, yup that’s true, but no other complaints other than that.

#3010 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Yes, without basis. Many people argue that it’s a widebody, yup that’s true, but no other complaints other than that.

Same-y groups of modes, poor progression direction, and lacking "just one more game" feeling due primarily to ridiculously long ball times, but secondarily to boring gameplay (see:same-y mode grouping). There's a few more for you next time someone asks.

I'm not saying YOU can't like it. Just that there are definite reasons *I* don't. I'm not alone. It's literally the only JJP they're not making anymore. Jack gave up trying to sell it, and that's saying the MOST about market reception to the title (besides the low-and-falling resale values). Jack is tenacious - if HE gave up, you know it's bad.

#3011 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Same-y groups of modes, poor progression direction, and lacking "just one more game" feeling due primarily to ridiculously long ball times, but secondarily to boring gameplay (see:same-y mode grouping). There's a few more for you next time someone asks.

It is better with the latest code update. Quite a bit so. I make myself think of it as a slower 1980's bally and I find I enjoy it more. Not a game I love but it's not terrible, it's very different which makes it good and bad.

#3012 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

It is better with the latest code update. Quite a bit so. I make myself think of it as a slower 1980's bally and I find I enjoy it more. Not a game I love but it's not terrible, it's very different which makes it good and bad.

I 100% agree that it's better now than it was, but still not good enough. I think most of it is just being hamstrung by a poor playfield design. There's not a lot you can do to make it fun, and JJP has DEFINITELY tried.

I'd rather have 4 actual choice 1980's Ballys than Hobbit.

#3013 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I 100% agree that it's better now than it was, but still not good enough. I think most of it is just being hamstrung by a poor playfield design. There's not a lot you can do to make it fun, and JJP has DEFINITELY tried.
I'd rather have 4 actual choice 1980's Ballys than Hobbit.

Hobbit had more unique modes than dialed in or most new sterns

#3014 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

I don’t think any new stern has half as many modes as hobbit. Haha

#3015 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

I dont know, a few are cool but most are a little meh.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

I don’t think any new stern has half as many modes as hobbit. Haha

Quality over quantity lol

#3016 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

I agree, I know it’s not for everyone but the hate is amazing to me. Hobbit is better than WOZ and DI, and I like those pins too. I haven’t played POTC yet so I don’t know if I will like it more or not.

#3017 5 years ago

So, I'm getting rid of ToM (players condition), Houdini, NGG (players), TAF (super nice), for SW LE, JJPOTC LE, and MBr LE ---- sound fair?

#3018 5 years ago
Quoted from Parzival:

So, I'm getting rid of ToM (players condition), Houdini, NGG (players), TAF (super nice), for SW LE, JJPOTC LE, and MBr LE ---- sound fair?

Your pretty close money wise. Out with the old, in with the new.

#3019 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I'm not saying YOU can't like it. Just that there are definite reasons *I* don't. I'm not alone. It's literally the only JJP they're not making anymore. Jack gave up trying to sell it, and that's saying the MOST about market reception to the title (besides the low-and-falling resale values). Jack is tenacious - if HE gave up, you know it's bad.

My understanding is that JJP is going to build more hobbits. Did they announce that is not the case?

#3020 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Quality over quantity lol

I don’t know about that. Theres some awesome modes in the hobbit. Basically the 2 star and up modes are pretty sweet and unique from one another. Then the 4 and 5 star modes might as well be mini wizard modes for how much you need to do in them.

#3021 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

More != better. See:same-y mode groups.

#3022 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

My understanding is that JJP is going to build more hobbits. Did they announce that is not the case?

Last I heard they were done after Black Arrows stuck around like an unwanted in-law.

#3023 5 years ago

Loving the new shirt! Thanks Hollywoodbone and ZMeny

B0FB79AC-5B25-4C4A-A595-13E5A5A7CF7B (resized).jpegB0FB79AC-5B25-4C4A-A595-13E5A5A7CF7B (resized).jpeg

#3024 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Last I heard they were done after Black Arrows stuck around like an unwanted in-law.

Did you say you heard that from Jack or some one at JJP. Not saying your wrong, just wondering where you heard that.

#3025 5 years ago

Definitely the wrong thread to discuss JJP games, and which is best, but I think WOZ is prettier than hobbit. I just prefer shooting Hobbit over WOZ.

I bring this up because I hear often that Hobbit is the best looking, not sure I agree. And I can already hear the response, who cares what it looks like, gameplay is more important

#3026 5 years ago

So a few things....

DI is now the best game out there with the new code. I always thought it felt a little too prescriptive but the new code makes the theatre have a purpose along with all those random targets. It's an unbelievable update.

WoZ is a great game, not better than DI but better than Hobbit which itself got an amazing update but that pf designstill holds it back for me.

Even though Zach was so wrong about Houdini (still can't believe he said ToM was worse than Houdini - never forget!) he was totally right about the shadow. That game is great. I even like the music now. Bought my second one and yes Zach with color and some other mods it is no question a 4k+ game! I'm a believer!

4k virtual pin with force feedback with vpx software = a great addition to the pin lineup.

#3027 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

So a few things....
DI is now the best game out there with the new code. I always thought it felt a little too prescriptive but the new code makes the theatre have a purpose along with all those random targets. It's an unbelievable update.
WoZ is a great game, not better than DI but better than Hobbit which itself got an amazing update but that pf designstill holds it back for me.
Even though Zach was so wrong about Houdini (still can't believe he said ToM was worse than Houdini - never forget!) he was totally right about the shadow. That game is great. I even like the music now. Bought my second one and yes Zach with color and some other mods it is no question a 4k+ game! I'm a believer!
4k virtual pin with force feedback with vpx software = a great addition to the pin lineup.

This and my posts, along with Zach and Chuck, just illustrate again how subjective game preference is...play em before you buy em, and get what YOU like

#3028 5 years ago

I like all the jjp games about the same. I've owned all 3 and honestly just didn't love any of them. If I was to get one again it would be WOZ but I'm not a fan of the layout. TH has the best sound, artwork, and screen work but I'm not a huge fan of layout on it either and more modes is not a better thing for me. DI shoots the best by a mile but the art, kiddy toys, phone, are hideous and the sound just grates on my last nerve. None of them really offer an exciting experience for me unfortunately. All well built well coded games from a good manufacturer but they just haven't made a game for me yet.

#3029 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

More != better. See:same-y mode groups.

31 modes for 10+ shots yeah sure some modes may use the same shot, but what other machine can you name that utilizes a controlled kickback for modes? What machine can you name that spot shoots drop targets? How many machines make you avoid drops while hitting targets? What other game blocks winning shots with trolls only to hit other shots to free up the winning shot with only a bit of time to spare? Which game makes you complete a riddle by finding the correct shot out of 11+?

I’m mostly just busting your balls, but saying the hobbit has same-y modes is just incorrect. Stern Star Trek has same-y modes. The Shadow, which I love, has same-y modes. The Hobbit modes differ more than most any pinball machine ever made. Love the discussion though

#3030 5 years ago
Quoted from Parzival:

Absolutely, the way I see it:

Mbr over TAF
JJPOTC over Houdini and gophers
SW over ToM

Yup sounds good to me

#3031 5 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

Loving the new shirt! Thanks guys.
[quoted image]

Fuck Yeah!

#3032 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

So a few things....

Damn I miss Shadow

#3033 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I agree about the drones and the spider. I still haven’t figured those out. “Spider value held” - ok, do I care?

#3034 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Damn I miss Shadow

Super vengeance all day.

#3035 5 years ago

This or that:

JJP Pirates and Stern Pirates or JJP Hobbit and Stern LOTR ???

#3036 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

31 modes for 10+ shots yeah sure some modes may use the same shot, but what other machine can you name that utilizes a controlled kickback for modes? What machine can you name that spot shoots drop targets? How many machines make you avoid drops while hitting targets? What other game blocks winning shots with trolls only to hit other shots to free up the winning shot with only a bit of time to spare? Which game makes you complete a riddle by finding the correct shot out of 11+?

But is it FUN? The answer for me (and the market at large where prices are depressed on Hobbit) is no. You can probably make a great flyer out of those points. However long the list, though, they do not make a FUN game. It's an elusive thing, and often the harder you try the more it slips through your fingers as a designer.

Quoted from ZMeny:

I’m mostly just busting your balls, but saying the hobbit has same-y modes is just incorrect. Stern Star Trek has same-y modes. The Shadow, which I love, has same-y modes. The Hobbit modes differ more than most any pinball machine ever made. Love the discussion though

Bust away. Multiple viewpoints on a crappy game is a worthwhile conversation to have. I have a thick skin and titanium balls (don't ask). The Hobbit modes may be technically different on a bullet point list, but they have a very same-y feel, and that's the death knell for me. Shadow has double interactive diverters. That's WAY more fun that the passive stuff in Hobbit. Individually controlled drop targets SOUND awesome. In practice they're a noisy yawn after the newness wears off.

#3037 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Damn I miss Shadow

I love Shadow so much I made that Shadow plastic superset in the Gene era so everyone could have access to new plastics when the Sanctum plastic alone was $300 due to rarity. I just bought a CPR playfield for Shadow with the intent of pimping one out to perfection in the future again. I, too, LOVE Shadow. It's a player's game for sure.

#3038 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Did you say you heard that from Jack or some one at JJP. Not saying your wrong, just wondering where you heard that.

I don't remember. It's been months, and I hear things from all angles.

#3039 5 years ago

These hobbit lover and hater back and forths are getting old. Perhaps someone can create a hobbit sucks thread and just rip it there and not in every other thread? Anyway, back to MBr or the next this or that.

I have one MM and ToM or AFM and MB. You can use remakes...

#3040 5 years ago
Quoted from andrewket:

I agree about the drones and the spider. I still haven’t figured those out. “Spider value held” - ok, do I care?

You will care in the updated code. Spiders drones etc they all matter now....

#3041 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

You will care in the updated code. Spiders drones etc they all matter now....

Hmm. Is it a public beta? I’ll have to go look. I need fix the sensor behind the drone rubber anyway. It’s permenantly depressed and on.

#3042 5 years ago
Quoted from drewski28:

This or that:
JJP Pirates and Stern Pirates or JJP Hobbit and Stern LOTR ???

That’s a good one!

Quoted from PinMonk:

But is it FUN? The answer for me (and the market at large where prices are depressed on Hobbit) is no. You can probably make a great flyer out of those points. However long the list, though, they do not make a FUN game. It's an elusive thing, and often the harder you try the more it slips through your fingers as a designer.

Bust away. Multiple viewpoints on a crappy game is a worthwhile conversation to have. I have a thick skin and titanium balls (don't ask). The Hobbit modes may be technically different on a bullet point list, but they have a very same-y feel, and that's the death knell for me. Shadow has double interactive diverters. That's WAY more fun that the passive stuff in Hobbit. Individually controlled drop targets SOUND awesome. In practice they're a noisy yawn after the newness wears off.

Now those are good arguments against Hobbit.

Quoted from Goronic:

These hobbit lover and hater back and forths are getting old. Perhaps someone can create a hobbit sucks thread and just rip it there and not in every other thread? Anyway, back to MBr or the next this or that.
I have one MM and ToM or AFM and MB. You can use remakes...

Damn, battle of the BW powerhouses. I’ll use these later if I can remember haha

#3043 5 years ago

SDTM Zach and EGP’s Dennis Kriesel discuss this week’s pinball news, as well as introducing a NEW SEGMENT where you can play along, TWIP That Tune!

TWIP Podcast Episode 22

https://www.facebook.com/162586444242633/posts/497854894049118/

#3044 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

SDTM Zach and EGP’s Dennis Kriesel discuss this week’s pinball news, as well as introducing a NEW SEGMENT where you can play along, TWIP That Tune!
TWIP Podcast Episode 22
https://www.facebook.com/162586444242633/posts/497854894049118/

Is there a youtube mirror for us non-facebook types?

#3045 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Is there a youtube mirror for us non-facebook types?

Yeah just subscribe on iTunes

Thanks!

#3046 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Yeah just subscribe on iTunes
Thanks!

I'm starting to understand your love for Hobbit, and that's the first step to acceptance.

#3047 5 years ago

SDTM and friends,

I am digging MBr LE more and more and am starting to consider selling my hobbit (sigh) and getting the MBr LE. Good idea? This or That!?!?

I am dying here...

The skinny - It will be a single pin for home use situation.

Hobbit Points:
- Awesome for new and intermediate skill players
- Deep rules ideal for home use (so many modes you can play in any order - and the wizard modes are incredible)
- Amazing story telling game with JJP quality LCD and animations
- Move clips GALORE!
- Music and callouts are top notch (perhaps best to date in pinball) - especially after the 3.0 code
- I really enjoy owning and playing this pin

MBr Points:
- Best MB ever made
- No other points needed

So, what do you think? Keep Hobbit or get MBr!?!?

EDIT: MB is one of my favorite pins of all time...but Hobbit is as well.

#3048 5 years ago

Playing Hobbit pulls me in. My arms are usually sore and my neck tense after a few hours of gameplay. Rockin Beta v2.99 Have been starting the third minwizard mode - battle of five armies - since updating the code. Love being able to start a mode with 1- 4 balls.

#3049 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

SDTM and friends,
I am digging MBr LE more and more and am starting to consider selling my hobbit (sigh) and getting the MBr LE. Good idea? This or That!?!?
I am dying here...
Hobbit Points:
- Deep rules ideal for home use (so many modes you can play in any order - and the wizard modes are incredible)
- Move clips GALORE!
- Music and callouts are top notch (perhaps best to date in pinball) - especially after the 3.0 code
MBr Points:
- Best MB ever made
- No other points needed

How good of a player are you?

#3050 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

SDTM and friends,
I am dying here...
Hobbit Points:
- Move clips GALORE!
MBr Points:
- Best MB ever made
- No other points needed

MB will get old real fast if it's your only game IMO.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
JURASSIC PARK PRO Pre-order!
The Pinball Place

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Sherrill, NY
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 289.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Maine Home Recreation

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Hutto, TX
$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

6,150 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 6,219 posts in this topic. You are on page 61 of 125.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinball-show-straight-down-the-middle-a-pinball-show/page/61?hl=parzival and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.