bean.gif
it.gif
stare.gif
f35b2ff373368a44c84b2d1e84b8048d6c2b3c14 (resized).jpg
IMG20220412195552 (resized).jpg
A29E882C-2FDB-4220-BC1A-F00A36E60085 (resized).jpeg
Photo_20170524_120226 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,219 posts in this topic. You are on page 56 of 125.
#2752 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

5 rings of men!

ooops!

#2753 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Unfortunately, hearing "the path of the dead!" ...

Only weak point of the game.

#2754 5 years ago

I think a B+ is spot on. Know one really mentioned the long ball times. I have owned lotr twice and sold it twice due to that issue. Seemed if I didnt have a half hour to play I would just walk by it. Did I ever finish the game no but it seemed I got to destroy the ring every game. Fun game to visit but not a long term keeper for me.
Now if they vaulted it and really worked on the art I may just pick another one. Stern knows when the time is right Tron and Lotr vaults will be huge just ask anybody, everybody loves it, amazing not supreme but superb none the less. (Last part in my best Trump impression for Zack).

#2755 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Welcome to the club buddy!!! Thanks for watching the show and chiming in with us. Our sincerest apologies for the early episodes haha. We’ve considered pulling them because new viewers may start with episode which we feel is not a reflection on our current work.

nah. the early shows were fine. obviously the camera/mic setup wasn't as good but the content is well worth keeping up on the channel.

also wondering if maybe a 0-10 scale would be better suited on the reviews. might give you guys a bit wider of a gradient than the letter grading system. and you could always do a re-rate on the old reviews to freshen them up. update 10 in an episode or something minus the long-form discussion on each table. free (easy) content!!!

either way. look forward to the shows!

#2756 5 years ago

LOTR is amazing. Such a fun, long, quest, where everything is achievable, but very RARELY in the same game. Or never.

Perfect integration of theme, custom sounds, clever rules and jam packed layout.

Great game for the home.

#2757 5 years ago

LOTR for the time it was made is probably an A pin. However as time goes by it gets harder for it to keep that grade. It excels in incorporating sound/callouts, dots with toys that lend authenticity to the theme. The layout and rules are really secondary to the reason why this pin is a classic. Think about it, the sword ramp, Planatir eye, the tower, Balrog, the POD, the ring itself...etc. It just catches the theme nicely. If I had one issue with it, it would be the right orbit with the post that caught ball one of five times.

PS: Nice shine on that playfield Zach, the ball must've pounded it all really flat

#2758 5 years ago
Quoted from anathematize:

nah. the early shows were fine. obviously the camera/mic setup wasn't as good but the content is well worth keeping up on the channel.
also wondering if maybe a 0-10 scale would be better suited on the reviews. might give you guys a bit wider of a gradient than the letter grading system. and you could always do a re-rate on the old reviews to freshen them up. update 10 in an episode or something minus the long-form discussion on each table. free (easy) content!!!

We are working on fine-tuning the rating system.

Ohhh and sneak peek, new recording sess will be of a new SDTM segment that Greg and I are gonna try out. Stay Tuned, excited for this one.

#2759 5 years ago

I literally just put mine on a truck to be shipped to a buyer on the west coast today. I’ve owned it for about 6 years. The long ball times kept me from playing it a lot, but whenever I did play, I always loved it. I too was getting to dtr almost every game, but I rarely completed it. Got to TABA a few times, never close to valinor. It really is a masterpiece and represents a lot of what’s great about pinball. Since I added the shaker and updated to 10.02 roms, which was around 2014, audits show just 118 plays. So, I wasn’t playing it much and it was time for a change. It will be missed for sure. My grade is an A. I have still have TSPP, which is similar in terms of depth and longer ball times, but that one will never be sold.

#2760 5 years ago

Man I might have to switch to team Greg. I heard never trust a elf!

#2761 5 years ago

Simple fix is to just have the total/overall rating be whatever you give it instead of bound by some averaging of the individual scores.

A pinball machine is MORE (or less) than the sum of its parts.

#2762 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Simple fix is to just have the total/overall rating be whatever you give it instead of bound by some averaging of the individual scores.
A pinball machine is MORE than the sum of its parts.

I dunno about that, it needs to be broken down so we can tell how we arrived at the score.

#2763 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

We are working on fine-tuning the rating system.

0 -10 rating =11 total positions
A+ - F- rating = 15 total positions
So what you going with Gold Stars?

#2764 5 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I dunno about that, it needs to be broken down so we can tell how we arrived at the score.

Yes you still score the individual categories, but you can then apply your own subjective overall rating.

So maybe the Art is C on this game, but it's still an overall A game, because the other aspects more than make up for the shitty art.

My point being, the total game exerience is more (or less) than the sum of its parts (art, rules, etc.). A game can be incredibly good/fun and still be ugly or have some other aspect that's poor.

#2765 5 years ago

Also wanted to comment that the LotR in this video was immaculate. Super nice!

...which made the fact that the color DMD was set to the abysmal "hi def" mode a friggin' crime.

Dot matrix art depends on the display artifacts of the spacing between the dots to provide some of the boundary effects on the indivual pixels in the image. Without that it loses the intended textures and some of the implied detail that the gaps between the pixels provided (similar to how a classic arcade game benefits from a real CRT monitor with scanline artifacts). The art was drawn with these effects in mind.

Set the display to "Dots XL" or "Dots" and you can thank me later.

(Ref: Compare your crappy display to this:

).

#2766 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Also wanted to comment that the LotR in this video was immaculate. Super nice!
...which made the fact that the color DMD was set to the abysmal "hi def" mode a friggin' crime.
Dot matrix art depends on the display artifacts of the spacing between the dots to provide some of the boundary effects on the indivual pixels in the image. Without that it loses the intended textures and some of the implied detail that the gaps between the pixels provided (similar to how a classic arcade game benefits from a real CRT monitor with scanline artifacts). The art was drawn with these effects in mind.
Set the display to "Dots XL" or "Dots" and you can thank me later.
(Ref: Compare your crappy display to this: ).

That does look nice

#2767 5 years ago
Quoted from anathematize:

Letter grades with plus and minus provide more granularity than 1-10. Assuming A-D, and F is always just F, that’s 13 possibilities vs 10.

#2768 5 years ago
Quoted from andrewket:

Letter grades with plus and minus provide more granularity than 1-10. Assuming A-D, and F is always just F, that’s 13 possibilities vs 10.

WTF did I say on post #2763. Let me go back and read it again.

#2769 5 years ago

Why do these numbers have to be round... 9.5 is a thing.

#2770 5 years ago
Quoted from Beebl:

Why do these numbers have to be round... 9.5 is a thing.

Now everyone's a winner.

And 9.25

#2771 5 years ago
Quoted from andrewket:

i realize the potential for more possibilities but it seems like the letter grade system trends towards A=90+ B=80-89 C=70-79 D=60-69 F=59 and below and rarely does something get an F just because its associated with "FAIL." Whereas a 5 in a 0-10 scale is just an average middle-of-the-road rating... so more of the range actually gets used vs. a letter grading system.

hopefully that makes sense. either way works fine as long as the full range of options is exercised.

#2772 5 years ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

WTF did I say on post #2763. Let me go back and read it again.

I hadn’t reached your post when I replied. I was agreeing with you...

#2773 5 years ago

You asked, we listened! SDTM Greg and Zach debut a new segment where they battle it out, best of 3 games, LOSER faces a nasty little consequence (muahaha).

Check out those scores for Game 2! Blowing that machine up!

#2774 5 years ago

You've gotta love Castor Troy!

#2775 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

You asked, we listened! SDTM Greg and Zach debut a new segment where they battle it out, best of 3 games, LOSER faces a nasty little consequence (muahaha).

Oh yeah, we wanted it and we got it, baby! Watching now .. it’s a battle. We demand a battle and battles have consequences!

#2776 5 years ago

Can't wait to see who the best player is between you guys!

#2777 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Wow, those were serious scores man! Nice work, it was like a workout.

#2778 5 years ago
7EE70982-7990-49E3-A3E0-306D8F372DC7 (resized).jpeg7EE70982-7990-49E3-A3E0-306D8F372DC7 (resized).jpeg
#2779 5 years ago

Wow, killer scores. It's official...I suck at Houdini. Looks like the game was set on Easy since you only had to hit the target for the Milkcan shot?

Great games guys.

#2780 5 years ago

Spoiler Alert:

If I were an operator it would cost you two $3.00 a game. At one point I was wondering how many total balls did Zach have on his last game. Then the answer came to me. About as many as Greg got smack in replays, Zach trying to take Greg's Face Off!

#2781 5 years ago

Great podcast. Head 2 Head on Houdini. If that is tournament settings, both you guys are players and slightly better than me. Haven’t watched the entire thing yet, but wonder if you might revisit your previous ratings, and based on your experience and faceoff -> would either of you want to change any part, and if so will you be adjusting it? Label the updated review as revisited or revised. If no change, then no change needed and mark it revisited. If change is needed, make it and mark it revised. Reviews youve completed but haven’t faceoff’d on yet are marked with the original reviewed.

I’d love to see you podcast best of three on EVERY game you’ve rated followed by a revisit of the ratings. Work your way through the list to truth check your gut feeling and apply a hardened rating criteria. And there better be a trophy for the winner to hold each week.

Houdini is a great game! Winning an extra ball from scaling cards is a great feeling and it marks a successful game imo. I see you both focus on starting and completing modes more than me. I focus on films, jail escapes and missions about equally. But your scores are better so I am going to switch strategy.

#2782 5 years ago

I can imagine your re-enactment of the movie.

48402693-7A31-4928-B5A6-6E831BA5F6D3 (resized).jpeg48402693-7A31-4928-B5A6-6E831BA5F6D3 (resized).jpeg714AEE6C-08CE-4E41-A21E-43D88D5B07C3 (resized).jpeg714AEE6C-08CE-4E41-A21E-43D88D5B07C3 (resized).jpeg
#2783 5 years ago

Wow. The winner left no doubt. Well done. Anyone thinking this games shots are too tight, PLAY BETTER. This video shows nicely how this game is capable of shooting.

#2784 5 years ago

That was a awesome show. I got to see some good pinball skills, got a good look at Houdini, and laughed my ass off several times too! That may be the best show you guys have ever done, if not the best its near the top for sure. After watching that show it kind of makes me want a Houdini! Im not going to give away any spoilers but man i laughed my ass off at you guys big time lol....especially there at the end! Great show guys for real!

#2785 5 years ago

It was a fun show to watch. But I usually play for money, unless it is with the wife - then we play for uh....

Hilarious ending none the less. I think Greg really wanted that win...maybe next time sucka!

#2786 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Wow. The winner left no doubt. Well done. Anyone thinking this games shots are too tight, PLAY BETTER. This video shows nicely how this game is capable of shooting.

Quoted from Who-Dey:

That was a awesome show. I got to see some good pinball skills, got a good look at Houdini, and laughed my ass off several times too! That may be the best show you guys have ever done, if not the best its near the top for sure. After watching that show it kind of makes me want a Houdini! Im not going to give away any spoilers but man i laughed my ass off at you guys big time lol....especially there at the end! Great show guys for real!

Thanks guys yeah we were able to slay it and no bullshit it was the only two games we played. Wasn’t like we played a ton to get the best action or scores, that was it

#2787 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

It was a fun show to watch. But I usually play for money, unless it is with the wife - then we play for uh....
Hilarious ending none the less. I think Greg really wanted that win...maybe next time sucka!

Greg’s still bitter. Poor guy put up 6+ mil on Houdini and still couldn’t hang. We just had fun playing and competing against one another. Thanks for the feedback Goronic

#2788 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Thanks guys yeah we were able to slay it and no bullshit it was the only two games we played. Wasn’t like we played a ton to get the best action or scores, that was it

Not surprised. I feel like when I go to play a game for a while, my best game is always within the first couple tries.

#2789 5 years ago

The SMACK! heard round the room.

#2790 5 years ago

Wow! What a slap!! You need to get on Jimmy Fallon.

3FB29AE5-BCF1-4BD6-BEC5-9B0C65E3D2F0 (resized).png3FB29AE5-BCF1-4BD6-BEC5-9B0C65E3D2F0 (resized).png
#2791 5 years ago

Now i gotta admit that maybe a few three stooges clips of them slapping the shit out of each other might have been pretty funny in this show here lol.

That was some pretty funny stuff! I dont think Greg liked that Ass kicking too much, especially since it was on video for the world to see!

#2792 5 years ago

I will have to say I was pretty bitter about the whole thing! I thought I had that second game in the bag.....

#2793 5 years ago

My favorite moment.

218BE1BE-2E01-4C79-A956-FF6547C98FCA (resized).png218BE1BE-2E01-4C79-A956-FF6547C98FCA (resized).png

75056010-23AA-437B-8AF3-FB87A05BC139 (resized).png75056010-23AA-437B-8AF3-FB87A05BC139 (resized).png
#2794 5 years ago

another fav. You should have trapped up and listened to the cop on screen.

D2E5B7B3-D2E9-4E18-B8BB-0666598817BD (resized).pngD2E5B7B3-D2E9-4E18-B8BB-0666598817BD (resized).png

#2795 5 years ago
Quoted from Hollywoodbone:

I will have to say I was pretty bitter about the whole thing! I thought I had that second game in the bag.....

Don't feel too bad Greg, not many people could have beaten Zach the way that he blew the game up like he did. I don't know if that kind of play is the norm for Zach or not but if it is he needs to play some tournaments.

#2796 5 years ago

Face to Face has consequences, baby!

EE775FC8-D40B-4FFF-9BB5-00F52FE53E7F (resized).pngEE775FC8-D40B-4FFF-9BB5-00F52FE53E7F (resized).png

43B161C2-DA48-431F-8A2B-3CA70E830F22 (resized).png43B161C2-DA48-431F-8A2B-3CA70E830F22 (resized).png

27B2F1A4-61FD-4CF4-BDE8-0DC9FE38DB04 (resized).png27B2F1A4-61FD-4CF4-BDE8-0DC9FE38DB04 (resized).png

A1BD4BCB-A21D-467B-BDF5-71C26BB43479 (resized).pngA1BD4BCB-A21D-467B-BDF5-71C26BB43479 (resized).png

#2797 5 years ago

I don’t usually enjoy watching videos of other people playing pinball but that was truly excellent. Watching that really makes me miss my Houdini and all things considered I’d say Greg was a pretty good sport about it. Him being salty made the video hilarious. I wish I could subscribe to your YouTube channel more than once because you guys deserve it with content that just keeps getting better.

#2798 5 years ago
Quoted from Hollywoodbone:

I thought Zach was toast on the 2nd game too. I couldn't believe he was going to try and catch you.

#2799 5 years ago

Priceless. Nothing like a good bitch slap to know who your friends are lol. Great video please bring lots of those new shirts to Expo for sale!

#2800 5 years ago

You enjoy slapping face a little tooo meny

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 16.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

6,150 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Sherrill, NY
$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
6,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

There are 6,219 posts in this topic. You are on page 56 of 125.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinball-show-straight-down-the-middle-a-pinball-show/page/56?hl=ericc123 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.