bean.gif
it.gif
stare.gif
f35b2ff373368a44c84b2d1e84b8048d6c2b3c14 (resized).jpg
IMG20220412195552 (resized).jpg
A29E882C-2FDB-4220-BC1A-F00A36E60085 (resized).jpeg
Photo_20170524_120226 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,219 posts in this topic. You are on page 55 of 125.
#2701 5 years ago

Somehow the most political thread on Pinside. That's Indiana for ya!

#2702 5 years ago
Quoted from DeadFlip:

Side note, zmeny I’ll be at your expo seminar if you need a Vanna white for slide switching.

Hahaha thanks man. But do we get you in full sequien gown too?!

#2703 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Somehow the most political thread on Pinside. That's Indiana for ya!

Yeah we’re a bit of everything here at SDTM thread. Not crazy about the political talk, but the thread here is a unique little beast that feels like a subforum at times. We allow the thread to be what the thread wants to be. All are welcome, all topics discussed, as long as it doesn’t cross the lines.

#2704 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Hahaha thanks man. But do we get you in full sequien gown too?!

I mean, have you SEEN my show?!
I got you.

#2705 5 years ago
Quoted from DeadFlip:

I mean, have you SEEN my show?!
I got you.

(Chuckle) #vannabulgegate

#2706 5 years ago

Played 25 games of DPLE and want to put on another 50 before I firm my opinion. LE is a beauty but it doesn’t surpass the other two versions which use the same playfield, so I like the pro best. There are a lot of mechanical issues and considerations, to the point I may pass on buying this game. Clunkier than Alien or Houdini (I don’t personally think either are clunky)

Art A+

Theme A

Display / Video A

Rules B+

Toys/Features B

Fun /Lastability B

Layout B-
Ball trap exiting left top rollover can be easily adjusted.
Snikt shot was hard to make it up the mini ramp and I made none.
Left wolverine deadend clunks around and didn’t register half the time.
Right ramp shot is clunky. An exact path works fine, while everything else bounce around and does not make ramp.
Slower shot around left orbit didn’t make it up the drop ramp.

Sound (speech) B-
Probably needs 3x the number of speech callouts to keep from getting old.

Overall B

Hope to get some more time on one soon to see if the negatives are overblown.

#2707 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

negatives are overblown.

Well this is Pinside ya know....

#2708 5 years ago

Played 25 games of DPLE and want to put on another 50 before I firm my opinion. LE is a beauty but it doesn’t surpass the other two versions which use the same playfield, so I like the pro best. There are a lot of mechanical issues and considerations, to the point I may pass on buying this game. Clunkier than Alien or Houdini (I don’t personally think either are clunky)
Art A+
Theme A
Display / Video A
Rules B+
Toys/Features B
Fun /Lastability B
Layout B-
Right ramp shot is clunky. An exact path works fine, while everything else bounce around and does not make ramp.
Sound (speech) B-
Overall B

Looks like your overall score matched mine. Smart man hahaha. Glad you’re getting some time on it

#2709 5 years ago

I’ve posted before about my experience on playing a DP LE and man, it just seems like the set up is going to be an extremely important consideration.

Compared to jeffspinballpalace review above:
The LE I played (for about 6 decent length games) did not seem to play similarly to his experience. My friend indicated his pitch is approx. 6.8.
The Snikt shot can be made- I hit it twice in a row when aiming for it, with the ball successfilly hitting the target and going up the Katana ramp. It was pretty neat however definitely not an easy shot.
Virtually every one of the players I played with were successfully hitting left orbit shots to the ‘lift’ ramp onto the Katana sword. Another very fun shot.
The Colossus mini loop was a bit clunky but also makeable and not a deterrent in my opinion.
The left ramp and middle spinner are very smooth and fast.
The scoop is easy to hit.
Finally, the right Katana ramp is an amazing and & satisfying shot.
I found myself hitting it with decent consistency- again, it requires accuracy and is not easy. But man, just a blast to shoot for it.
Little Deadpool with dropping target bank is very easy to execute and will give more novice players an easy means to start a multi ball.

In my estimation, Deadpool offers a unique layout with some very satisfying & fun shots.
It looks beautiful in person and if code can be properly flushed out, could be a killer pin in the long run.

#2710 5 years ago

I'm loving my DP. It's just pure light hearted fun. Is it the best game ever, no. Its probably the most fun I've had on a nib though. My wife and I have been playing the heck out of it.

#2711 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I'm loving my DP. It's just pure light hearted fun. Is it the best game ever, no. Its probably the most fun I've had on a nib though. My wife and I have been playing the heck out of it.

At the end of the day, that’s what it’s all about

#2712 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

At the end of the day, that’s what it’s all about

Well it should be anyway.

#2713 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

How did TNA fare in the latest SDTM review? Watch and find out!

Enjoyed this review, SDTM boys! One comment - about the scoop. I solved the scoop bounce out issue by spending some time bending the top of the scoop. Obviously, if you push down too much, the ball won't drain from the reactor into the scoop. But if you find the perfect bend (that still allows the ball to drop into the scoop), that scoop shot becomes reliable to hit from both left and right flippers. I know that at least one pinsider claims they tried this and couldn't get it to help... but I wonder how much tweaking effort they applied.

Seems like a simple fix to me. It works

#2714 5 years ago

Art A+
Theme A
Display / Video A
Rules B+
Toys/Features B
Fun /Lastability B
Layout B-
Sound (speech) B-
Overall B

You lost me when you said it was clunkier then Houdini? The definition of clunky in my book.

#2715 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

You lost me when you said it was clunkier then Houdini? The definition of clunky in my book.

I've owned both DP and Houdini. Houdini is less clunky than DP but in different ways. Houdini's tight shots made it clunky (Key lane, inner loop, milk can loop, ramp entrance). DP's angles make it clunky (the right orbit and inner left loop, katana lane). In Houdini the ball would bounce between the metal guides causing the "clunk", in DP it feels like you hear that sound even when you make a good shot. With that said I much prefer DP over Houdini not because of these factors but because DP is less hard. DP actually makes me feel like I am a semi-good player while Houdini kicked my ass everytime I pushed start. Since I only have room for 3-4 games, I can't feel like I'm getting an ass kicking everytime I play.

#2716 5 years ago

It's a clunky Gomez design. All of his designs have shots that feel like that and shots that are on a strange part of the flipper. Doesn't bother me though, it's good to have something that feels different and for me it's different in a good way.

As for the pro/premium debate. No doubt the pro is the best value and you don't give up much in the way of mechs. No doubt the premium/LE is a better game though as the left orbit is the smoothest shot in the game and being able to smoothly combo it really adds to the games appeal. For me it always comes down to what is the best playing model. I'm fortunate that I can afford which one I like, doesn't mean that the LE or premium are the best value. But I think it's hard to argue that the pro plays better on this one. I made 9 orbits in a row on disco loops last night and oh did it feel so good.

#2717 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

But I think it's hard to argue that the pro plays better on this one.

Based on your collection and suggested by your post, did you meant the LE/Prem plays better?

But as you note the pro is the better value...

#2718 5 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Based on your collection and suggested by your post, did you meant the LE/Prem plays better?
But as you note the pro is the better value...

Pro is always the better value, in some cases they even play better. Premium/LE for DP is the better player.

#2719 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Pro is always the better value, in some cases they even play better. Premium/LE for DP is the better player.

I agree with that. I've put quite a few games in on a Pro and a LE and I can't believe the difference. That being said I'm still not sure I'd pay the extra money for the upgrade from a value perspective.

#2720 5 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Enjoyed this review, SDTM boys! One comment - about the scoop. I solved the scoop bounce out issue by spending some time bending the top of the scoop. Obviously, if you push down too much, the ball won't drain from the reactor into the scoop. But if you find the perfect bend (that still allows the ball to drop into the scoop), that scoop shot becomes reliable to hit from both left and right flippers. I know that at least one pinsider claims they tried this and couldn't get it to help... but I wonder how much tweaking effort they applied.
Seems like a simple fix to me. It works

enough to determine it was a mechanical flaw. I've also adjusted this in other machines and reached the desired result of working. TNA scoop = flaw. Sorry.

#2721 5 years ago

Setting DP up right might require Swiss precision, but some of the negatives can be overcome. Disco, Ninja, Katana and Lil Deadpool are all fun multiballs to play. The game is so beautiful ... I want to play it all day and and stare at it all night long.

#2722 5 years ago

Have you destroyed the ring?

SDTM Greg and Zach review Stern Pinball’s The Lord of the Rings

What are your thoughts on LOTR?

#2723 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

It's a clunky Gomez design. All of his designs have shots that feel like that and shots that are on a strange part of the flipper. Doesn't bother me though, it's good to have something that feels different and for me it's different in a good way.
As for the pro/premium debate. No doubt the pro is the best value and you don't give up much in the way of mechs. No doubt the premium/LE is a better game though as the left orbit is the smoothest shot in the game and being able to smoothly combo it really adds to the games appeal. For me it always comes down to what is the best playing model. I'm fortunate that I can afford which one I like, doesn't mean that the LE or premium are the best value. But I think it's hard to argue that the pro plays better on this one. I made 9 orbits in a row on disco loops last night and oh did it feel so good.

JM is straight butter. No clunk there

#2724 5 years ago

Damn it Who-Dey they gutted the best part of the review thanks to you! -- Next time please request the removal of the phone call segments..

#2725 5 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

JM is straight butter. No clunk there

Chunky butter maybe

Quoted from Beebl:

Damn it who-dey they gutted the best part of the review thanks to you! -- Next time please request the remove of the phone call segments..

Son of a...... haha

#2726 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Also as far as sponsors go, i dont wanna watch that bullshit, it just pisses me off more than anything because i have to fast forward through it.

I suppose we can blame Who-Dey for the internal commercial as well...Thank you for your always brilliant insight, Who-Dey. (Now if you could only say it once and simply read others opinions without reiterating your opinion over and over and over and ...)

#2727 5 years ago

Thats the best show you guys have had in a long time. You should buy me a Pizza Zach for improving your show!

#2728 5 years ago
0_5juyRUr.JPG.750x750_q85ss0_progressive (resized).jpg0_5juyRUr.JPG.750x750_q85ss0_progressive (resized).jpg
#2729 5 years ago
Quoted from C_S_S:

I suppose we can blame Who-Dey for the internal commercial as well...Thank you for your always brilliant insight, Who-Dey. (Now if you could only say it once and simply read others opinions without reiterating your opinion over and over and over and ...)

See the thing that your missing is though and the thing that Zach and Greg don't realize yet is i actually didn't fast forward through the commercials this time because there wasnt so many of them all at one time. My bitching turned out to be a HUGE plus for the sponsors of this show. I think every single one of those companies should buy me a pizza for that on top of the pizza that Zach owes me for making his show better!

#2730 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

See the thing that your missing is though and the thing that Zach and Greg don't realize yet is i actually didn't fast forward through the commercials this time because there wasnt so many of them all at one time. My bitching turned out to be a HUGE plus for the sponsors of this show. I think every single one of those companies should buy me a pizza for that on top of the pizza that Zach owes me for making his show better!

I’ll split a six pack and a Totinos with ya buddy.

The splitting of ads was actually decided prior to recording Deadpool. Seemed like a no brainer to spread the ads out a bit for viewers, while doing more justice to our sponsors to increase chance for exposure. If everyone is happier, then Greg and I are happier.

#2731 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

I’ll split a six pack and a Totinos with ya buddy.
The splitting of ads was actually decided prior to recording Deadpool. Seemed like a no brainer to spread the ads out a bit for viewers, while doing more justice to our sponsors to increase chance for exposure. If everyone is happier, then Greg and I are happier.

Sounds like a plan to me Zach! 6 pack of whatever ...even "Pop" is fine (im like you, not a big drinker anymore) a couple $1.25 Tortinos Pizzas (my favorite frozen pizza btw) and we can battle it out in pinball for an hour or so, sounds like a fun night!

The commercials being spread out really does work and is a no brainer after seeing it first hand. They wasnt dreadful and drawn out so i just watched them rather than FF through them.

Excellent review though for an excellent game. I must be weird because the clip art doesn't bother me and in games like LOTR and GOT, i think it kinda seems appropriate for some reason, gives it the right feel for that era of time to me. I dont like the theme even a little bit personally but i would have still gave it a C easily on these and maybe upped it to a B because i know that its popular to most people. I wish i could get into it though because i would have one of these games if i could, but i just cant for some reason.

Nice review though and great job of the playfield and rules rundown!

#2732 5 years ago

Love you guys went back and did the LOTR review... with the recently released AC/DC vault, wondering when we'll see that review? Love to get your perspective on this game and will help you round out your music pin reviews =)

#2733 5 years ago
Quoted from Beebl:

Damn it who-dey they gutted the best part of the review thanks to you! -

Hey Beebi sorry about that buddy! The good thing about it for you though is we only live 20 mins apart, so you dont have to drive very far to come to my house and kick my ass for ruining the show for you.

#2734 5 years ago

Hey who changed thread title? This was my goto place for reviewing DP and now I’m supposed to care about LOTR? Can the title transition slower? Maybe ... Deadpool Complaints Plus LOTR Review? Give people a chance to sit down and take a breath before rocking our worlds whydoncha? So bottled up about DP I’m gonna explode!

#2735 5 years ago

Haven't posted in the thread yet but recently discovered the show. I've now binge watched pretty much every episode and I love the casual banter format you guys go with. Really reminds me of some of the guitar related Youtube channels that I like the best (That Pedal Show being a fine example).

Really glad to see you go through LOTR. That game has always been a bit intimidating to me and I feel like I'll finally have a chance to put some relatively worthwhile games without completely flailing around on the machine at our club after your intro rundown.

I did totally vote for Team Greg because of Zach's disdain for the Iron Maiden theme but we can't all be perfect.

;~)

#2736 5 years ago

Good review of LOTR.

Though my opinions differ from the guys thoughts on Deadpool, I agree that LOTR offers one of Sterns best overall packages (aside from the art). Such a fun and deep game.

Considering how well prices are holding on used Lord of the Rings, it’s likely Stern would do well with a vault edition.

#2737 5 years ago
Quoted from anathematize:

Haven't posted in the thread yet but recently discovered the show. I've now binge watched pretty much every episode and I love the casual banter format you guys go with. Really reminds me of some of the guitar related Youtube channels that I like the best (That Pedal Show being a fine example).
Really glad to see you go through LOTR. That game has always been a bit intimidating to me and I feel like I'll finally have a chance to put some relatively worthwhile games without completely flailing around on the machine at our club after your intro rundown.
I did totally vote for Team Greg because of Zach's disdain for the Iron Maiden theme but we can't all be perfect.
;~)

Welcome to the club buddy!!! Thanks for watching the show and chiming in with us. Our sincerest apologies for the early episodes haha. We’ve considered pulling them because new viewers may start with episode which we feel is not a reflection on our current work.

#2738 5 years ago
Quoted from Wiggy76:

Love you guys went back and did the LOTR review... with the recently released AC/DC vault, wondering when we'll see that review? Love to get your perspective on this game and will help you round out your music pin reviews =)

I like that idea. AC/DC is Greg’s favorite band too maybe he can sing a couple chords of Ive Got Big Balls haha

Hey who changed thread title? This was my goto place for reviewing DP and now I’m supposed to care about LOTR? Can the title transition slower? Maybe ... Deadpool Complaints Plus LOTR Review? Give people a chance to sit down and take a breath before rocking our worlds whydoncha? So bottled up about DP I’m gonna explode!

Please continue to add Deadpool discussion. We welcome that, the pin ehh not so much...jk

#2739 5 years ago

This was a one of your most interesting reviews of a machine given how much I knew you two love LOTR based on comments you have made in various other episodes. I was like Greg - surprised that Zach's final grade was so low given how much he seems to love the game. My question to Zach, before you did this thorough and objective review, if someone had come up to you at a show and asked if LOTR should be on the "A" Game list or the "B" Game list, what would you have said? My assumption was always that LOTR was a pin you considered to be an "A" game. I guess the "A" for enjoyability is what I have been hearing on your shows. Really interesting to see how this review ended up.

#2740 5 years ago
Quoted from Burley9043:

This was a one of your most interesting reviews of a machine given how much I knew you two love LOTR based on comments you have made in various other episodes. I was like Greg - surprised that Zach's final grade was so low given how much he seems to love the game. My question to Zach, before you did this thorough and objective review, if someone had come up to you at a show and asked if LOTR should be on the "A" Game list or the "B" Game list, what would you have said? My assumption was always that LOTR was a pin you considered to be an "A" game. I guess the "A" for enjoyability is what I have been hearing on your shows. Really interesting to see how this review ended up.

Great question, I still say that LOTR is easily an A- pin (near perfection with Franchi art). I think Greg’s composite was most accurate. However, I feel my category breakdown was more accurate, showing the known flaw of our rating system, which I’m trying to cope with. I want to weight the different categories to prevent this, but that opens up a whole mess of things 1) confusing to many viewers 2) becomes convoluted and messy 3) what to do with past reviews, etc. We will continue to work on making reviews better reflect overall score but we have to find a great way of doing it.

#2741 5 years ago

I think really if you have like you were talking about a way to see that rankings by each category, eg just Enjoyability (seriously can anything be more important than this?), then we can easily just check out the stuff that is important to each of us. and please not on a Fakebook page, that place is horrible and inaccessible from work, where honestly is where I have more time to browse pinball stuff.

#2742 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

We will continue to work on making reviews better reflect overall score but we have to find a great way of doing it.

It really is why you need to watch the show to understand what those grades mean to both you and Greg. As is usually the case in assessment, the narrative is more important than the letter grade.

#2743 5 years ago
Quoted from Burley9043:

It really is why you need to watch the show to understand what those grades mean to both you and Greg. As is usually the case in assessment, the narrative is more important than the letter grade.

Couldn’t agree more

#2744 5 years ago

Surprised the hidden image was not mentioned. Please do not tell frodo to turn around.

As always great show and a spot on review.

Screenshot_20180926-000130_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20180926-000130_Gallery (resized).jpg

#2745 5 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

Surprised the hidden image was not mentioned. Please do not tell frodo to turn around.

[quoted image]

We went this long with no gold dick comments and you had to go and eff it up!

We can’t take you anywhere.

#2746 5 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

[quoted image]

And that emoticon doesn’t help

#2747 5 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

[quoted image]

Ha ha you know I didn’t know about it! And that doesn’t look like a loin cloth hanging from Gollum either.....

#2748 5 years ago

Solid review,I'm glad I kept after you guys to do the review.. Now get on that TSPP review!
P.S. my corvette shoots like melted butter! You did not mention the Balrog as a toy,? And people that come over to play my LOTR,like the shaker motor as much as the color DMD. Keep up the good work.

#2749 5 years ago

ZMeny Hollywoodbone great show guys loved it, felt like one of your older shows which was great, loved the insults and mud slung back and forth (Zach being pale, vampire, Greg being a hobbit all hit the mark) like the good old days with you guys.

#2750 5 years ago

Great review. LOTR is a classic. Such a great "journey" game. Unfortunately, hearing "the path of the dead!" over and over put it on the chopping block for me. When I mention LOTR now, the kids still shout, "THE PATH OF THE DEAD!" I do miss the best super jackpot callout ever, though.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
6,150 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
$ 16.00
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk
Other
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
JURASSIC PARK PRO Pre-order!
The Pinball Place
Pinball Machine
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects
Sound/Speakers
$ 51.45
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 35.00
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
$ 17.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 20.00
Electronics
Gameroom Mods
Electronics
Machine - For Sale
Columbia, SC
$ 300.00
$ 289.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Maine Home Recreation
Armor and blades
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 6,219 posts in this topic. You are on page 55 of 125.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinball-show-straight-down-the-middle-a-pinball-show/page/55?hl=zmeny and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.