bean.gif
it.gif
stare.gif
f35b2ff373368a44c84b2d1e84b8048d6c2b3c14 (resized).jpg
IMG20220412195552 (resized).jpg
A29E882C-2FDB-4220-BC1A-F00A36E60085 (resized).jpeg
Photo_20170524_120226 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,219 posts in this topic. You are on page 45 of 125.
#2201 5 years ago

SDTM The BEST most Unbiased pinball show.
These guys are great! Zach & Greg thank you for the very difficult job of bringing us YOUR true and honest reviews. Personally I have been lucky because we have had very similar tastes in pins. (Exclusion of Houdini) Not everyones tastes are the same. Not everyones opinions stay the same over time as well. I know you guys to be true and honest. Please continue doing this for the community. I have been a fan/supporter since day one. It's great to see how far you guys have come and I look forward to seeing where you may take this in the future.

#2202 5 years ago

Just finished the episode and I have to say that I am both horrified and disappointed. Greg, how can you not put mayo on your turkey sandwich? MAYO IS DELICIOUS. Turkey sandwiches are too dry without it.

#2203 5 years ago

Team SDTM hosts were on top of their game with their review of TNA, while the world looked on. Your video surprised me and at the end of the day I agreed with you both. BAM! That's how you do a f*Cking review folks.

IMG_0526.GIFIMG_0526.GIF
#2204 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Amen to that Law. If i could upvote you 10 times i would. I for one DO NOT believe he sold his spot for reasons stated and i also DO NOT believe that he will ever own that game. I guess we will have to wait for the review and see how many A pluses that it gets . I cant even write this post without laughing my ass off to myself.

What reasons did he state? That he was worried? All I know is it wasn't easy to get him to make the deal that I got his #35 ACNC and he got my 1st TNA...He was very truthful that he really thinks he might regret it but we made a very fair deal with each other to make it happen... I don't get what your point is and why you insist in stirring the pot for no reason! TNA is awesome and different! I think they were very fair in their review. The Drama is overrated!

#2205 5 years ago

I do enjoy playing TNA but the 6k for an all around basic layout stings a bit. The lightshow and music are awesome I do worry that it would get stale quickly.

If the right deal popped up I probably wouldn’t hesitate to buy, but I don’t see that happening anytime soon.

For now I just save my money until I see what I really want. Unfortunately I’m getting the urge to get a pilot license which will erode all my discretionary funds.

Why must all my hobbies cost so damn much!

#2206 5 years ago
Quoted from Knapp_Arcade:

Just finished the episode and I have to say that I am both horrified and disappointed. Greg, how can you not put mayo on your turkey sandwich? MAYO IS DELICIOUS. Turkey sandwiches are too dry without it.

With you on this one Knapp, gotta have something on that turkey....except mustard!

Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Team SDTM hosts were on top of their game with their review of TNA, while the world looked on. Your video surprised me and at the end of the day I agreed with you both. BAM! That's how you do a f*Cking review folks.[quoted image]

Thanks weinermobile! I felt really good about this one.

Quoted from BladeFury:

What reasons did he state? That he was worried? All I know is it wasn't easy to get him to make the deal that I got his #35 ACNC and he got my 1st TNA...He was very truthful that he really thinks he might regret it but we made a very fair deal with each other to make it happen... I don't get what your point is and why you insist in stirring the pot for no reason! TNA is awesome and different! I think they were very fair in their review. The Drama is overrated!

Thanks for commenting. I said I was afraid of the machine at this point, wasn’t that harsh enough? I do think about it everyday though, thinking, damn I could have a ACNC close to shipping. Haha

#2207 5 years ago

IF Scott would allow an alternate design to be commissioned and ...

If Spooky would be willing to design and offer a reskinned version of TNA in 2020 and if ...

They hired a designer who could make reactor inspired cabinet and translite art that were dark and brooding...The playfield would remain unchanged, but the plastics might be reprinted.

You think there is a chance something good might happen still and that your suggested improvements will make it into the current game production??

#2208 5 years ago

IF Scott would allow an alternate design to be commissioned and ...
If Spooky would be willing to design and offer a reskinned version of TNA in 2020 and if ...
They hired a designer who could make reactor inspired cabinet and translite art that were dark and brooding...
You think there is a chance something good might happen and that suggested improvement will be made to the current game??

Why would they do any of that when it's their best selling game?

#2209 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Thanks for commenting. I said I was afraid of the machine at this point, wasn’t that harsh enough? I do think about it everyday though, thinking, damn I could have a ACNC close to shipping. Haha

Oh you’ll regret it, it’s a question of when rather than if. But then again, you go through games like people go through socks (a little like me) so it’s a non-issue for you. Keep on trucking man, life is too short buy high, sell low, f*ck it.

#2210 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Why would they do any of that when it's their best selling game?

I think it's what the kids call "a funny" these days.

#2211 5 years ago

The review made me feel like playing a little tonight. By far my best game to date. Drained right when I lit the 8th reactor.

20180828_190614 (resized).jpg20180828_190614 (resized).jpg
#2212 5 years ago
Quoted from BladeFury:

I really dont want to get into it and i seriously hope that you enjoy your new game. Im not stirring the pot either and never intended to. I just gave my thoughts on it and if Zach is butthurt about it thats his problem not mine.

#2213 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

The review made me feel like playing a little tonight. By far my best game to date. Drained right when I lit the 8th reactor.
[quoted image]

Damn! Killer play. You haven’t updated code?

#2214 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Damn! Killer play. You haven’t updated code?

Not in a while, I've downloaded it, IMDN, and SW last week and am going to try to get the newest versions on this weekend. I hate updating the new sterns, takes forever..... I'm 1 update behind on SW and probably 3 on IMDN lol

#2215 5 years ago

Just watched the review on the train ride home.... so much to comment on. Will update soon once I get through this work

#2216 5 years ago

Greg, I was checking out the overall games final grades so far and man you give out B+'s like Zach gives out dollar bills at the strip club. You are either too nice or you just love all pinball!

And then I watch this episode and damn, the first three categories are B+, B+, B+.... it's like we are stuck in the Matrix. I think you guys just for some spice should review some terrible games. Let's get nasty.

#2217 5 years ago
Quoted from Captain-Flint:

I think you guys just for some spice should review some terrible games. Let's get nasty.

They literally gave lethal Weapon 3 passing grades, and not even Ds.

#2218 5 years ago

They need to do Raven, then we may see a "D" and hear the "F" bomb. TNA colors and the girl on backglass remind me of Target Alpha. So the art I would say "B".Most times after watching the shows find myself looking for the pin that was reviewed to purchase. This time was no different. I'll give the show at "B+". haha

#2219 5 years ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

They need to do Raven, then we may see a "D" and hear the "F" bomb.

I don't know... We had Zach on our show a few months back and deliberately reviewed WWE. I selected that specifically to elicit a bad grade. His overall? A C-...

I mean, it's lower than anything graded on SDTM, but I still feel I failed. I was SO SURE with it, too!

#2220 5 years ago
Quoted from DennisK:

I don't know... We had Zach on our show a few months back and deliberately reviewed WWE. I selected that specifically to elicit a bad grade. His overall? A C-...
I mean, it's lower than anything graded on SDTM, but I still feel I failed. I was SO SURE with it, too!

Next time have him try party zone, dr dude or avengers. Blah! Gotta go wash my mouth out with soap now.

#2221 5 years ago
Quoted from DennisK:

Yup, just another accurate review. Wwe is not good, but it’s no D, but close.

#2222 5 years ago

What would be an F overall game for everyone? I don’t think I’ve ever seen one. I think NASCAR might be my closest, but I can’t give that lower than a D, cause it’s actually decently fun to shoot.

Hurricane is pretty bad too, but the art is phenomenal and some of the rules are cool.

Everything about the game has to be terrible to get an F imo. Pretty crazy that every single game has its redeeming qualities.

#2223 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Got to agree with this one. WWE is pretty fun to play on location and isnt that bad of a game. Add in that you can get a HUO WWELE for half the price of a new release stern LE and it starts to look a lot better.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

What would be an F overall game for everyone? I don’t think I’ve ever seen one. I think NASCAR might be my closest, but I can’t give that lower than a D, cause it’s actually decently fun to shoot.
Hurricane is pretty bad too, but the art is phenomenal and some of the rules are cool.
Everything about the game has to be terrible to get an F imo. Pretty crazy that every single game has its redeeming qualities.

There's a few. I think Rocky might be the least fun game I've ever played. But most games have enough positive things to at least get a D-

#2224 5 years ago

I don't know if I'd give it an F, but Strange Science would probably be the closest I could think of for me.

#2225 5 years ago
Quoted from evanc:

I don't know if I'd give it an F, but Strange Science would probably be the closest I could think of for me.

It's a bad one dimensional game but the theme is cool and the lock is fun enough that it's not close to a F for me. Maybe a D+.

If you really break a game down it's going to be really hard for any modern game to score below a C-. The only thing I've seen that would achieve that is thunderbirds.

#2226 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

It's a bad one dimensional game but the theme is cool and the lock is fun enough that it's not close to a F for me. Maybe a D+.
If you really break a game down it's going to be really hard for any modern game to score below a C-. The only thing I've seen that would achieve that is thunderbirds.

Could Thunderbirds be the first F??? Zach I believe in you!! Haha

#2227 5 years ago

LOVE the show. Always entertaining and I watch every episode but damn, TNA is just rated too high for my tastes.

I like tough pins as long as they're fair. TNA is in that category but man it's a completely different experience playing vs. someone vs. playing alone.

Alone, it was pretty stale to me. It's almost like I'd give this pin 2 separate ratings. Could be the best "VS" pin around, but it's rinse and repeat and repeat and I got bored.

I love the art. Lightshow is top notch. The sound is the absolute best I've heard on pretty much any pinball machine.

Still to think this was a home-brew is mind blowing. Amazing creativity.

#2228 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Could Thunderbirds be the first F??? Zach I believe in you!! Haha

Zack should buy one to review it...…

It's rare so resale value should hold up great

#2229 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

They literally gave lethal Weapon 3 passing grades, and not even Ds.

You have to more time on it Law!!!!! It’s a special little pin that I keep going back too. When I have people over it gets some of the most plays.
Stern Simpsons is pretty bad! And Hook except that theme is amazining and it looks pretty cool

Quoted from chuckwurt:

#2230 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Now that’s a great discussion point. Is any pinball machine truly a total fail? Tough to say until I rate each category individually. Some crappy pins that come to mind include BTTF, Hook, Raven, etc. but yeah most have something redeeming.

Quoted from jgentry:

Really good point, modern pins are all decent to some degree. There’s just too much going on with them to dislike everything. The other problem is that we often review machines that I buy because part of me wants to play for a bit, thus skewing the selection to pins I wanna play. I CANT WAIT TO REVIEW THUNDERBIRDS! But it’s nothing I would buy so we will have to find one that we can put a lot of games on.

Quoted from Guinnesstime:

LOVE the show. Always entertaining and I watch every episode but damn, TNA is just rated too high for my tastes.
I like tough pins as long as they're fair. TNA is in that category but man it's a completely different experience playing vs. someone vs. playing alone.
Alone, it was pretty stale to me. It's almost like I'd give this pin 2 separate ratings. Could be the best "VS" pin around, but it's rinse and repeat and repeat and I got bored.
I love the art. Lightshow is top notch. The sound is the absolute best I've heard on pretty much any pinball machine.
Still to think this was a home-brew is mind blowing. Amazing creativity.

Many feel the same, but for me, many times I prefer to play alone and I didn’t get tired of the 100+ games I put on TNA. I already miss it and it will make its way back at some point. I want to beat it (very unlikely) but looks like JGentry was very close yesterday I’m jealous.

#2231 5 years ago
Quoted from Hollywoodbone:

Stern Simpsons is pretty bad!

#2232 5 years ago

Freaking Greg, I think he means data east.

#2233 5 years ago

Stern PLayboy, Rocky & bullwinkle, DE Simpsons are all beyond horrible.

#2234 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Stern PLayboy, Rocky & bullwinkle, DE Simpsons are all beyond horrible.

Add Harley Davidson versions 1-5, and you have a gaggle of games that only the Designer's Mum would love.

#2235 5 years ago

Add Harley Davidson versions 1-5, and you have a gaggle of games that only the Designer's Mum would love.

Uff that was bad. Still better than Barb Wire

#2236 5 years ago

Apparently no one has played Rescue 911, which is the worst game ever made. I like shitty games and it's too shitty for me, which is saying a lot.

#2237 5 years ago

Oh man I've never played a great version of 911 but horrible for sho. Or was it a minty version and the game is just that bad... The world may never know

#2238 5 years ago

But what games since 2010 have been releases that are a true F grade, meaning that they fail on almost every level and don't really have any redeeming qualities.

There really isn't a lot of terrible new games in my opinion. Some might not stack up so well to some of the great games released but they are still better then the majority released before then. Everyone raves about the 90's but it certainly has it's share of C grade pins.

#2239 5 years ago

Magic girl
In its current state Alice Coooer

#2240 5 years ago

I ride a Harley and no way I own this pin. Seen one for sale for 8500, I guessing the owner is looking for someone new to collecting. Or maybe it's a motorcycle listed under the pinball machines.

#2241 5 years ago

Lol, JPOP's crowning achievement.

#2242 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

I didn't give it an overall F (so not a full-on fail) either. It has some redeeming features. Some.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

What would be an F overall game for everyone? I don’t think I’ve ever seen one.

It definitely is tough if having to play by SDTM rules (mandating every category be equally weighted, which is not how I personally evaluate games). That said, I have one in mind.

Barb Wire (Premier 1996)
Art: F
Shots/Layout: F
Rules/Code: D
Toys/Innovation: D+
Music/Call Outs: D
Display/Animation: D
Theme: F
Enjoyability: F
Overall: F (0.54)

A proper review deserves me spending more time on this, but hey, it's just for fun. My reasoning:

Art is a fail because the playfield is that ugly (translite is okay but you spend your time looking at the playfield). Layout is "meh" on paper, but the shots are a clunkfest with the ball rattling around all over (a big miss; nothing really feels good to shoot). Rules/code is way too simplistic especially considering the era this is and that it is meant to be a full-featured game, but game does have a tournament mode and avoids being an outright fail on scoring imbalance like many Premier of this era. The toy is the Big Fatso figure in the middle; it offers no innovation and is not very satisfying to interact with (a below-average toy but not a complete miss). Music/call outs are on par with other System 3 DMD, so more subpar than they should be but not a complete fail. Display/Animation is much like the sound, it's notably subpar versus where the industry was, but you can make stuff out at least. The theme is a total miss (terrible movie to choose, integration I view as irrelevant). And, I've never had fun on this pin. Ever (and I own a couple Premier games, so it isn't just an anti-Premier bias for me).

#2243 5 years ago
Quoted from DennisK:

I didn't give it an overall F (so not a full-on fail) either. It has some redeeming features. Some.

It definitely is tough if having to play by SDTM rules (mandating every category be equally weighted, which is not how I personally evaluate games). That said, I have one in mind.
Barb Wire (Premier 1996)
Art: F
Shots/Layout: F
Rules/Code: D
Toys/Innovation: D+
Music/Call Outs: D
Display/Animation: D
Theme: F
Enjoyability: F
Overall: F (0.54)
A proper review deserves me spending more time on this, but hey, it's just for fun. My reasoning:
Art is a fail because the playfield is that ugly (translite is okay but you spend your time looking at the playfield). Layout is "meh" on paper, but the shots are a clunkfest with the ball rattling around all over (a big miss; nothing really feels good to shoot). Rules/code is way too simplistic especially considering the era this is and that it is meant to be a full-featured game, but game does have a tournament mode and avoids being an outright fail on scoring imbalance like many Premier of this era. The toy is the Big Fatso figure in the middle; it offers no innovation and is not very satisfying to interact with (a below-average toy but not a complete miss). Music/call outs are on par with other System 3 DMD, so more subpar than they should be but not a complete fail. Display/Animation is much like the sound, it's notably subpar versus where the industry was, but you can make stuff out at least. The theme is a total miss (terrible movie to choose, integration I view as irrelevant). And, I've never had fun on this pin. Ever (and I own a couple Premier games, so it isn't just an anti-Premier bias for me).

As the ambassador of shit games, BW has fun shots and a fun multiball. It doesn't compare to other shit games like Rescue 911, which has one OK shot that leads to a shitty shot. Every System 3 is better than that piece of garbage.

#2244 5 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

As the ambassador of shit games, BW has fun shots and a fun multiball. It doesn't compare to other shit games like Rescue 911, which has one OK shot that leads to a shitty shot. Every System 3 is better than that piece of garbage.

I've only played R-911 virtually, so I can't opine on where I'd rate it yet. A lot of System 3 I still have yet to play; I hope to see more at shows. System 3 gets a lot of hate but I need to judge the games individually. I was really disappointed in BW, but I'm well under a fair number of evaluation plays on it, and how a game is set-up makes a big difference so my experiences may be due to poor examples of the pin (for example, I've never played a Rollercoaster Tycoon yet that wasn't broken in some way... and it's one of my lower rated Sterns in no small part due to that).

#2245 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

but yeah most have something redeeming.

A willingness to take the time to find that redeeming element depends on whether the game is on free play or you are paying to play (and how much you are paying). An example for me would be Houdini, where I was paying a dollar a game and bricking all those shots that you "need to learn." I was spending money so quickly and not advancing very far in the game that I stopped playing and moved on to something else. Reluctant to put more money in it, I have never played it since. I am sure that my experience would be much different if I were at someone's home with the game on free play. But as it is, I have not played it enough to give it a fair overall letter grade. I wonder if people are quick to give F's (or any low grade) without playing the game long enough to give it a fair review.

#2246 5 years ago
Quoted from DennisK:

I was really disappointed in BW, but I'm well under a fair number of evaluation plays on it, and how a game is set-up makes a big difference so my experiences...

Very true on set up, but no worries on Barb Wire, it's actually that atrocious. Played a few right out of the box, just as bad.

#2247 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

I have a spare room and an ACNC just down the road at the local bar...

what the hell are you waiting for?

#2248 5 years ago

come on up for the Mad Rollin charity tourney and stick around for ACNC streamin...

$242 RT from IND

#2249 5 years ago

Enjoyability is the only grade that truly matters when it comes to purchasing a pinball machine because if you dont have enjoyability you arent buying that game. I know that there could be other things like a shitty code to prevent you from buying it too but these situations are pretty rare. Maybe its worth rating the art, music, code etc but a game could literally get all great grades in every catagory except enjoyability and get a good grade. That to me makes the grading system feel off. Thats why i think it would be better to say this pin is good or bad in all of these catagories but whats your final grade? That way Greg could sit there and think for a minute and say the game looks nice and has awsome sound and animations all but i gotta give it an F because it sucks and isnt any fun to play.

You could maybe even add one more interesting catagory to the grading process. You could have a yes or no box that says “would you buy this game.”? That would make things extremely interesting.

#2250 5 years ago

Man all the hate on Barb Wire! Shoots a little funky but for some reason I love playing it every time I see it. I think it would get old real quick to own but on location I run to it every time! Lol

Quoted from ZMeny:

Freaking Greg, I think he means data east.

Ha ha was thinking two different thoughts at the same time. And dealing with a crazed kid!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
6,150 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
$ 16.00
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk
Other
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
JURASSIC PARK PRO Pre-order!
The Pinball Place
Pinball Machine
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Columbia, SC
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects
Sound/Speakers
$ 51.45
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 35.00
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
$ 17.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 20.00
Electronics
Gameroom Mods
Electronics
$ 300.00
$ 289.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Maine Home Recreation
Armor and blades
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
There are 6,219 posts in this topic. You are on page 45 of 125.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinball-show-straight-down-the-middle-a-pinball-show/page/45?hl=crile1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.