bean.gif
it.gif
stare.gif
f35b2ff373368a44c84b2d1e84b8048d6c2b3c14 (resized).jpg
IMG20220412195552 (resized).jpg
A29E882C-2FDB-4220-BC1A-F00A36E60085 (resized).jpeg
Photo_20170524_120226 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,219 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 125.
#1801 5 years ago

You guys are reading way too much into this stuff. All reviews are subjective based on what people prefer in games. That does not make them biased. SDTM is never going to give terrible reviews that torch games because they are positive guys that seem to enjoy pinball. If you want someone to just destroy a game this is not the show for you. This is largely why the industry folks have given them access. Being a mostly positive force for pinball is not a bad thing. If you want drama there is plenty of other places to find it.

I tend to review games in a similar way. They are all fun and there's things i enjoy about all of them.

#1802 5 years ago

bi·as
ˈbīəs/Submit
noun
prejudice in favor of or against one thing, person, or group compared with another, usually in a way considered to be unfair.
"there was evidence of bias against foreign applicants"

Using this definition, I can’t agree with being biased. Subjective at times, yes, but never giving preference against one thing or person compared with another, in a way that is unfair.

That being said, we continue to make efforts to strengthen our reviewing methods. We are committed to pinball reviews and love doing them so any creative ideas are always open to us. Good discussion ya’ll

#1803 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

If you want someone to just destroy a game this is not the show for you.

He sure did a pretty fine job of destroying Iron Maiden the band and wasnt bashful about it lmao. I wonder if he hung out with the band and was friends with all of them if he would have said those things? I think not probably lol.

I don't want anyone to destroy a game unless it deserves to be destroyed. Then i want to hear them say "this game just isn't very good". I would just say this game sucks personally but someone who is nicer than me i guess could just say....this game just isnt very good and its not for me i guess.

Anyway im done talking about and i think i got my point across. Im not trying to be controversial and i like Zach and Greg and their show too. I hope they aren't mad at me for my opinion but they certainly have that right to be in they choose to do so. Im just being real and i believe in being up front about things. I have never been and never will be any other way.

#1804 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

He sure did a pretty fine job of destroying Iron Maiden the band and wasnt bashful about it lmao. I wonder if he hung out with the band and was friends with all of them if he would have said those things? I think not probably lol.
I don't want anyone to destroy a game unless it deserves to be destroyed. Then i want to hear them say "this game just isn't very good". I would just say this game sucks personally but someone who is nicer than me i guess could just say....this game just isnt very good and its not for me i guess.
Anyway im done talking about and i think i got my point across. Im not trying to be controversial and i like Zach and Greg and their show too. I hope they aren't mad at me for my opinion but they certainly have that right to be in they choose to do so. Im just being real and i believe in being up front about things. I have never been and never will be any other way.

Don’t be silly Greg and I are about as easy going as everyone here, we welcome discussion about things we care about.

Having said that, I’d happily party with Iron Maiden and if they’d ask me about their music I’d tell them it’s not great and doesn’t hold a flame to Zeppelin. So at the end of the day, for pinball, I feel like that theme will always be a big ol miss. Thank God it’s a great game.

#1805 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Don’t be silly Greg and I are about as easy going as everyone here, we welcome discussion about things we care about.
Having said that, I’d happily party with Iron Maiden and if they’d ask me about their music I’d tell them it’s not great and doesn’t hold a flame to Zeppelin. So at the end of the day, for pinball, I feel like that theme will always be a big ol miss. Thank God it’s a great game.

Lol that's hilarious. You effed up selling IMDN and you're going to miss that game Zach!

#1806 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Lol that's hilarious. You effed up selling IMDN and you're going to miss that game Zach!

I will never forgive Zach for selling Maiden. I can no longer take the show seriously. Maybe if they do a Bad Cats review I can watch again.

#1807 5 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

I will never forgive Zach for selling Maiden. I can no longer take the show seriously. Maybe if they do a Bad Cats review I can watch again.

seems a little harsh no? I felt the same way Zach did and sold mine for the same reason. For non IMDN fans, the music is absolute torture after awhile. I thought Zachs review was great b/c it captured exactly how I felt (great gameplay, terrrible theme).

His Houdini review was the exact opposite. Better than ToM? The game is a complete bust so I completely disagree with him (similar to how you feel regarding his IMDN review)

Key difference is I wouldn't stop watching the show b/c of his Houdini review - that's just sounds short sighted. I think chuckwurt said it best about respect. I respect these two guys and value their input even if that means a review doesn't match mine. I just move along.

#1808 5 years ago

My opinion is a person can have biases but also control for them.

In the examples being discussed, do I think there's a risk when you are friends with industry insiders that you'll be biased in their favor? A definite "yes" from me.

Can someone control those biases and keep them out of their content? I say "yes" to that as well. I feel journalists do this all the time. You can like someone and still speak truth to them.

The real issue, in my view, is the PERCEPTION of bias. You cannot easily control this. So if you are unbiased towards someone, or biased but controlling it, as long as people know you are friends with them that perception is going to exist, and that compromises the perception of the reviewer.

This is all hard in a hobby this small. Putting on my podcasting hat, I see two courses of action. You either keep the industry at arms length, avoid the perception of bias, and accept the negatives that come with it (access is harder). This is what Tony and I do, but understand it is much easier for a less popular entity like us than it is for bigger players (we have less to lose). Option #2 would be to accept being chummy, sponsors, and the like, understanding that the perception of bias is being accepted along with all that, and then (if choosing to be professional about it) controlling for bias and hoping your audience sees through the perception and recognizes the product has remained pure.

Quoted from Yelobird:

For clarity can anyone name a game that came out in the last 2 years or since there show started that could be defined as "Sucks"? Yes some lacked in art, theme, music, code, etc but since we have so little to choose from has there Really been a game that deserved a flat out "this sucks and it was not worth the box it came in" view?

Not worth-less-than-the-box sucks, but there are games they've reviewed I feel did not deserve a passing grade and definitely weren't worth the asking price. My subjective opinion. And I make no claim they passed them because of bias. They're merely wrong on the evaluation of the games, but I can't fix that!

#1809 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

seems a little harsh no? I felt the same way Zach did and sold mine for the same reason. For non IMDN fans, the music is absolute torture after awhile. I thought Zachs review was great b/c it captured exactly how I felt (great gameplay, terrrible theme).
His Houdini review was the exact opposite. Better than ToM? The game is a complete bust so I completely disagree him with (similar to how you feel regarding his IMDN review)
Key difference is I wouldn't stop watching the show b/c of his Houdini review - that's just sounds short sighted. I think chuckwurt said it best about respect. I respect these two guys and value their input even if that means a review doesn't match mine. I just move along.

I was being sarcastic. Yes if you absolutely don’t like Iron Maiden music that can ruin the gameplay experience. I do agree with Who-Dey on the other topic about bias. I will continue to watch the show. I started watching SDTM last summer when I got back into pinball. Matter of fact my Aerosmith pro celebrates it one year anniversary tomorrow. It was my first stern pinball/ nib game.

#1810 5 years ago

I was being sarcastic. Yes if you absolutely don’t like Iron Maiden music that can ruin the gameplay experience. I do agree with Who-Dey on the other topic about bias. I will continue to watch the show. I started watching SDTM last summer when I got back into pinball. Matter of fact my Aerosmith pro celebrates it one year anniversary tomorrow. It was my first stern pinball/ nib game.

got it!!! glad to hear!!! I mention it mainly b/c I believe some people truly did get offended by the IMDN review and did stop watching (or at least Zach said he got a ton of hate mail). So ridiculous.

#1811 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

got it!!! glad to hear!!! I mention it mainly b/c I believe some people truly did get offended by the IMDN review and did stop watching (or at least Zach said he got a ton of hate mail). So ridiculous.

I heard that people had pitchforks and torches outside of Zachs house and they had to call the National Guard in. Heard that he had to sell his house and move also because of it.

#1812 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yup haven’t thought of it since, but I’ll probably own it again at one point, it’s a good game just will never pull me in like others do, same can be said for Met, great music but code doesn’t pull me in.

Hell yeah we will do a bad cats review! What a beautiful machine.

Quoted from DennisK:

My opinion is a person can have biases but also control for them.
In the examples being discussed, do I think there's a risk when you are friends with industry insiders that you'll be biased in their favor? A definite "yes" from me.
Can someone control those biases and keep them out of their content? I say "yes" to that as well. I feel journalists do this all the time. You can like someone and still speak truth to them.
The real issue, in my view, is the PERCEPTION of bias. You cannot easily control this. So if you are unbiased towards someone, or biased but controlling it, as long as people know you are friends with them that perception is going to exist, and that compromises the perception of the reviewer.
This is all hard in a hobby this small. Putting on my podcasting hat, I see two courses of action. You either keep the industry at arms length, avoid the perception of bias, and accept the negatives that come with it (access is harder). This is what Tony and I do, but understand it is much easier for a less popular entity like us than it is for bigger players (we have less to lose). Option #2 would be to accept being chummy, sponsors, and the like, understanding that the perception of bias is being accepted along with all that, and then (if choosing to be professional about it) controlling for bias and hoping your audience sees through the perception and recognizes the product has remained pure.

Not worth-less-than-the-box sucks, but there are games they've reviewed I feel did not deserve a passing grade and definitely weren't worth the asking price. My subjective opinion. And I make no claim they passed them because of bias. They're merely wrong on the evaluation of the games, but I can't fix that!

Couldn’t have been said better you wise pinball sage you. If you guys aren’t listening to Eclectic Gamers Podcast you are missing out on such a fun personality and pinball knowledge. Oh and Dennis, toys and gimmicks and themes matter too, not just flow.

Quoted from delt31:

Nah Maniac loves him some SDTM, he’s Team Zach through and through, but our relationship did take a little hit after that Maiden review. What’s gonna happen when we review TNA?!?!

#1813 5 years ago

Also, sneak peek:

Greg and I will be doing a seminar at the new Chicago Pinball Expo coming up and you will have a chance to be part off the show and win some cool stuff. Jeff from This Week In Pinball will join us as well for TWIPYs talk and the historyqnd working behind TWIP. Please please please come out to it. More details soon!

#1814 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

What’s gonna happen when we review TNA?!?!

Yeah thats gonna be an interesting review but that's not the one that im the most interested in. When is the TNA review though?

#1815 5 years ago

My biggest concern with the show going forward is not the reviews, it's Zach's impersonations that are becoming more prevalent, especially on the TWIP podcast. It took me a while to figure out that he was doing Donald Trump. And don't even get me started on Greg's German. They are going to need Jeff on the show to keep them in check.

#1816 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

haven’t thought of it since, but I’ll probably own it again at one point, it’s a good game just will never pull me in like others do, same can be said for Met, great music but code doesn’t pull me in

I get it and i totally understand. I would NEVER own a country music pin i don't care if it was the greatest game that has ever been made. If you cant get past the music then theres no way you are going to be able to own it.

#1817 5 years ago

Any artist, manufacturer, or producer of any kind of product who can't accept constructive criticism and not take that out on the reviewer is not going to make it very far in the world, or at least they will be miserable about it. As long as the reviewer is thoughtful and at least somewhat respectful there is no reason they can't be friends or at least friendly with the reviewer. Perfect example, chuckwurt LOVES GOT and no matter how many times I tell him I hate it and think it's awful we remain friends.

People arguing about pinball reviews, and I'm not necessarily talking about SDTM, is one of the more ridiculous things on Pinside. Opinions are like a-holes, everybody has one.

#1818 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Also, sneak peek:
Greg and I will be doing a seminar at the new Chicago Pinball Expo coming up and you will have a chance to be part off the show and win some cool stuff. Jeff from This Week In Pinball will join us as well for TWIPYs talk and the historyqnd working behind TWIP. Please please please come out to it. More details soon!

Excellent news! I envision a rocky horror picture show type vibe lol. We need a peewee secret word for the audience to yell out. Lolol

#1819 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Perfect example, chuckwurt LOVES GOT and no matter how many times I tell him I hate it and think it's awful we remain friends.

Or so you think. Haha

#1820 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Or so you think. Haha

Well, at least we are if you need help fixing something that's not an E.M.

#1821 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

People arguing about pinball reviews, and I'm not necessarily talking about SDTM, is one of the more ridiculous things on Pinside.

Nobody is arguing. We are just discussing unbiased and biased reviews. If it was an argument i would be mad and calling them sell outs and stuff like that. There is nothing like that going on at all. Just a civil discussion is all.

#1822 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Nobody is arguing. We are just discussing unbiased and biased reviews. If it was an argument i would be mad and calling them sell outs and stuff like that. There is nothing like that going on at all. Just a civil discussion is all.

The only thing selling out is our new freshly designed SDTM t-shirts that willl be released soon (insert tooth sparkle)

#1823 5 years ago

Love bad cats pity it doesn't have a multiball. Of course Zach and Greg can do an unbiased review to question their intergedy is a slight on your own character not theirs. The better you know someone the more honest you can be any criticisms you have would just be worded more politely.

#1824 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Love bad cats pity it doesn't have a multiball. Of course Zach and Greg can do an unbiased review to question their intergedy is a slight on your own character not theirs. The better you know someone the more honest you can be any criticisms you have would just be worded more politely.

I know Zach fairly well and thats why i can be so honest with him and i didn't criticize him at all. Its obvious that you are trying to start shit though but im not going to argue with you so move along.

#1825 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I know Zach fairly well and thats why i can be so honest with him and i didn't criticize him at all. Its obvious that you are trying to start shit though but im not going to argue with you so move along.

Just because you re-post your assumption over and over doesn't make it any more correct

#1826 5 years ago
CF92612A-6BB8-440E-A518-6EECC070A06C (resized).pngCF92612A-6BB8-440E-A518-6EECC070A06C (resized).png
#1827 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Just because you re-post your assumption over and over doesn't make it any more correct

Look, i cant say what id like to say to you because i will just get moderated if i do so you may as well just move along because you're not getting any argument out of me.

#1828 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Look, i cant say what id like to say to you because i will just get moderated if i do so you may as well just move along because you're not getting any argument out of me.

If you can't say anything without being moderated you're got bigger problems than me.

#1829 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

If you can't say anything without being moderated you're got bigger problems than me.

That's certainly possible. I'm just glad that my grammar problems aren't as bad as yours.

#1830 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I suck and never will be any other way.

Agreed

#1831 5 years ago

You do know that altering a quote is a Pinside violation of the rules right?

#1832 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

The only thing selling out is our new freshly designed SDTM t-shirts that willl be released soon (insert tooth sparkle)

Are you guys ever going to make a shirt with a picture of Greg on it with his Raven claws out?

#1833 5 years ago

Give the arguements a rest guys. Go play some pinball or drink some beer or something. Or do both - that's why they invented pingulps.

#1834 5 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

Give the arguements a rest guys. Go play some pinball or drink some beer or something. Or do both - that's why they invented pingulps.

I tried avoiding it but he wouldn't let up and then he altered my quote so not much i can do. I made it clear to him that i wasn't going to argue with him but he wouldn't let it go.

#1835 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

You do know that altering a quote is a Pinside violation right?

No I didn't but it's still true. Why did you assume I was talking about you anyway other people shared your opinion. I just gave my opinion and you got personal. I think you are just an attention seeker.

#1836 5 years ago

Have a beer and play a pin - you'll feel better.

Both you Pinheads.

#1837 5 years ago

Like an episode of Hee-Haw

#1838 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Like an episode of Hee-Haw

#1839 5 years ago

I wonder how many people in here are saying "what the hell is Hee Haw?" lmao

#1840 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I wonder how many people in here are saying "what the hell is Hee Haw?" lmao

I get the reference but yeah you’re old Law

#1841 5 years ago

It's a trade off guys. True I'll die first, but I was able to figure out LW3 was a piece of garbage 25 years ago and have avoided it since!

#1842 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

It's a trade off guys. True I'll die first, but I was able to figure out LW3 was a piece of garbage 25 years ago and have avoided it since!

Now there's an unbiased review if i ever saw one! Man that was harsh!!

Would that be a C, D, or a big fat F?

#1843 5 years ago

Is there a G?

#1844 5 years ago

Buy a Vowel

#1845 5 years ago

Love Hate with Iron Maiden huh... some do, some don't... I know the feeling!

-Hobbit Owner

#1846 5 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Love Hate with Iron Maiden huh... some do, some don't... I know the feeling!
-Hobbit Owner

Woah! Be very very quiet...you almost woke up the whodey with that post.

#1847 5 years ago

Hey Greg, whatda say we review my Restored Fathom soon?

FFB44682-51C6-44CC-B4B5-87CFEC26963D (resized).jpegFFB44682-51C6-44CC-B4B5-87CFEC26963D (resized).jpeg
#1848 5 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Hey Greg, whatda say we review my Restored Fathom soon? [quoted image]

Do it Fast Greg, that machine like most at Zaks house won't hang around more than 4 days....lol Impressive looking machine. I will keep an eye out when that hits the auction block!

#1849 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Do it Fast Greg, that machine like most at Zaks house won't hang around more than 4 days....lol Impressive looking machine. I will keep an eye out when that hits the auction block!

IMDN and BM66 lasted one week, id say Fathom will last about 1 day.

#1850 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

IMDN and BM66 lasted one week, id say Fathom will last about 1 day.

I heard he's already shopping it for a WNBJM...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 289.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

6,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 16.00
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eagan, MN
6,150 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 35.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 6,219 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 125.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinball-show-straight-down-the-middle-a-pinball-show/page/37?hl=zmeny and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.