bean.gif
it.gif
stare.gif
f35b2ff373368a44c84b2d1e84b8048d6c2b3c14 (resized).jpg
IMG20220412195552 (resized).jpg
A29E882C-2FDB-4220-BC1A-F00A36E60085 (resized).jpeg
Photo_20170524_120226 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,219 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 125.
#751 6 years ago

Great review guys! Big fan of the show, love the passion and honesty!

#752 6 years ago
Quoted from Flex_in_Aus:

Great review guys! Big fan of the show, love the passion and honesty!

Appreciate the support my good man!

#753 6 years ago

Another great review, did you order it Zach ?

#754 6 years ago
Quoted from KLR2014:

Another great review, did you order it Zach ?

Put down a deposit early on but not sure whether I’ll pull the trigger or not

#755 6 years ago

Great review as always guys!!

#756 6 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Burley have you been able to get your hands on one yet?

No. I have not found one in the Cleveland area to play so I have been living vicariously through you and Greg. I do have a deposit on an LE that I made after hearing all the buzz and your reports from Chicago. I expect that JJPOTC and TZ will be sitting next to each other in my game room for many years to come. With the new games (TNA, Houdini, JJPOTC) and new codes for Batman 66 and TWD, this has been an exciting year for the pinball hobby. The timing of starting SDTM could not have been better.

#757 6 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Great review as always guys!!

You’re the best!

Quoted from Burley9043:

No. I have not found one in the Cleveland area to play so I have been living vicariously through you and Greg. I do have a deposit on an LE that I made after hearing all the buzz and your reports from Chicago. I expect that JJPOTC and TZ will be sitting next to each other in my game room for many years to come. With the new games (TNA, Houdini, JJPOTC) and new codes for Batman 66 and TWD, this has been an exciting year for the pinball hobby. The timing of starting SDTM could not have been better.

Now that would be one hell of a lineup!!!! If only I were wealthy.....

#758 6 years ago

Any idea when these will start shipping? Have to be getting close.

#759 6 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Yeah guys sorry YouTube can take an hour or two to fully process the video in 1080p. It’s coming. Thanks for your patience.....stupid YouTube!

Remarkable video editing and coverage! I wonder how many POTC machines have been sold because of these videos? . I have been getting many orders for the POTC Pin Stadiums and I bet they are ones that saw these and decided to buy the machine as they are using the “sdtm” 10% discount code.

Keep up the over the top work guys!!!

#760 6 years ago
Quoted from pinstadium:

Remarkable video editing and coverage! I wonder how many POTC machines have been sold because of these videos? . I hvae been getting many orders for the POTC Pin Stadiums and I bet they are ones that saw these and decided to buy the machine.

It sold me. Working on placing my order.

Pinball n00b here. Consider me a sign of growth in the hobby. . Just hit 1000 games on my new Dialed in and broke 2.5 million. Pretty much never played pinball until 8 weeks ago..

#761 6 years ago

I just love your videoes.
Im going for a pirates LE because of this review.

Zach, I didn’t care for the Hobbit, because of all the bad review and hate it gets here, i love the theme though.

I watched your review of the Hobbit, the love and passion it gets from you, made me wanna try it out.

So my friend bought a hobbit and dailed in LE. I started playing the hobbit and totally fell in love with it. Its such a fun pin. Awesome gameplay. Sounds. Callout. Music. Omg. Im gonna buy a hobbit LE now.

DI LE has great layout. Extreme feel good shots, omg such cool ramps, light show, rules and layout. BUT music was so borring, so lame, theme didten do anything for me. It didn’t drag me in. After some time, i jumped back to the hobbit and had a blast again.

3E29545F-D46F-40AB-9668-A523D466C0AE (resized).jpeg3E29545F-D46F-40AB-9668-A523D466C0AE (resized).jpeg

#762 6 years ago

Great video review! I thought I was set in Houdini but then I watch the Pirates video and now I can't decide between the two.

Any chance we could get a "This or that" Pirates or Houdini video?

#763 6 years ago
Quoted from pinstadium:

Remarkable video editing and coverage! I wonder how many POTC machines have been sold because of these videos? . I have been getting many orders for the POTC Pin Stadiums and I bet they are ones that saw these and decided to buy the machine as they are using the “sdtm” 10% discount code.

That’s high praise. Thanks Scott!

Quoted from Psw757:

Any idea when these will start shipping? Have to be getting close.

No word yet unfortunately

Quoted from OnTheSnap:

It sold me. Working on placing my order.
Pinball n00b here. Consider me a sign of growth in the hobby. . Just hit 1000 games on my new Dialed in and broke 2.5 million. Pretty much never played pinball until 8 weeks ago..

We are glad to have you buddy!

Quoted from DEN:

I just love your videoes.
Im going for a pirates LE because of this review.
Zach, I didn’t care for the Hobbit, because of all the bad review and hate it gets here, i love the theme though.
I watched your review of the Hobbit, the love and passion it gets from you, made me wanna try it out.
So my friend bought a hobbit and dailed in LE. I started playing the hobbit and totally fell in love with it. Its such a fun pin. Awesome gameplay. Sounds. Callout. Music. Omg. Im gonna buy a hobbit LE now.
DI LE has great layout. Extreme feel good shots, omg such cool ramps, light show, rules and layout. BUT music was so borring, so lame, theme didten do anything for me. It didn’t drag me in. After some time, i jumped back to the hobbit and had a blast again.

Amazing to hear man!!! Sounds like we have the same taste.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Great video review! I thought I was set in Houdini but then I watch the Pirates video and now I can't decide between the two.
Any chance we could get a "This or that" Pirates or Houdini video?

Ugh so flipping tough to decide there.....come on Panzer get both, oh and keep that Dialed In

#764 6 years ago

Great review fellas. Your detailed oriented approach really helps people to decide whether games you review are right for them or not. Much appreciated hard work on your part!!! Btw, love the editing. Especially when you slowly zoom in on Greg’s “creepy clown smile”. Lol. Good stuff. Part comedy, part hard core pinball. Can’t wait for next review.

#765 6 years ago

I've never owned or really played a machine with stacked rules. This will be my first. I do really like the simple rules, modes, progression of dialed in. Hopefully I find this game as much fun when I power it up at home the first time.

#766 6 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

Great review fellas. Your detailed oriented approach really helps people to decide whether games you review are right for them or not. Much appreciated hard work on your part!!! Btw, love the editing. Especially when you slowly zoom in on Greg’s “creepy clown smile”. Lol. Good stuff. Part comedy, part hard core pinball. Can’t wait for next review.

Big thanks

#767 6 years ago

I've watched the POTC videos a couple of times, and my head is exploding with the rule set

It's hard to see the target as each rule is described. Hopefully when this thing ships to me, it has a decently documented rule set. But if not, it'll be a lot of weeks with the glass off hitting switches.

#768 6 years ago

This pin has so much going on you forgot to mention it has a video mode. I can't believe you had so many pins on your list above it something isn't right. As everyone else has said you do a great show

#769 6 years ago

Great review guys, I really enjoy the longer, detailed reviews with the designers and programmers. It’s a interesting and informative way to show all the details and rules for these complex pins. Entertaining as always, keep up the great work!

#770 6 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

Great review guys, I really enjoy the longer, detailed reviews with the designers and programmers. It’s a interesting and informative way to show all the details and rules for these complex pins. Entertaining as always, keep up the great work!

Thanks Coz!

#771 6 years ago

I hope they have the dog with the keys in the game would have been good to be able to play as him. Would also like to see the videos played in the compas TV and it would be great to see a shot where it is lit up the machine goes dark and all you hear is Davey Jones heart beating thump thump and you have about 30 sec to get it. I think that would really build the tension.

#772 6 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Ugh so flipping tough to decide there.....come on Panzer get both, oh and keep that Dialed In

I wish I could, need a bigger house and a second job for both, haha. Both of these games look awesome and I really enjoyed playing Houdini. Pirates for an LE is going to cost $2500 more then Houdini but I think its justified as Pirates is packed with so many interactive toys and the amount of work going into the software, audio and animations appears to be beyond anything seen before in pinball.

For $7k though you get so much game with Houdini. Having 125 modes in POTC is amazing with 25 randomly selected per game but if all of the main modes are about hitting the character shots from that movies scenes and you can't hear those characters voices during the modes (as well as see video) I'm not sure how that's going to play out in terms of them feeling unique.

I wonder if the Gibbs callouts recorded by Kevin McNally have lines that are specific to the events in a scene that a mode is based on?

#773 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I wish I could, need a bigger house and a second job for both, haha. Both of these games look awesome and I really enjoyed playing Houdini. Pirates for an LE is going to cost $2500 more then Houdini but I think its justified as Pirates is packed with so many interactive toys and the amount of work going into the software, audio and animations appears to be beyond anything seen before in pinball.
For $7k though you get so much game with Houdini. Having 125 modes in POTC is amazing with 25 randomly selected per game but if all of the main modes are about hitting the character shots from that movies scenes and you can't hear those characters voices during the modes (as well as seen video) I'm not sure how that's going to play out in terms of them feeling unique.
I wonder if the Gibbs callouts recorded by Kevin McNally have lines that are specific to the events in a scene that a mode is based on?

Very good points

#774 6 years ago

Great video as usual, I appreciate the long in depth reviews. It's also nice to see the actual designers and programmers showing off what they have created.

#775 6 years ago
Quoted from Cloud7:

Great video as usual, I appreciate the long in depth reviews. It's also nice to see the actual designers and programmers showing off what they have created.

Appreciate the feedback Cloud

#776 6 years ago

Amazing video. It does seem like we need further elaboration on Tortuga Tom and the Nice tight crop ending......lol I'm sure that was an uncomfortable ride home.

#777 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Amazing video. It does seem like we need further elaboration on Tortuga Tom and the Nice tight crop ending......lol I'm sure that was an uncomfortable ride home.

We asked the pop number character’s name and Eric suggested we name it so everyone came up with Tortuga Tom. I think a recast of Jack Sparrow-like character to replace him should be Mod couple’s first POTC mod.

The tight crop comment was Greg making an inappropriately funny suggestion of how the term relates to Mrs. Bone haha

#778 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

For $7k though you get so much game with Houdini. Having 125 modes in POTC is amazing with 25 randomly selected per game but if all of the main modes are about hitting the character shots from that movies scenes and you can't hear those characters voices during the modes (as well as seen video) I'm not sure how that's going to play out in terms of them feeling unique.

Yah - my hope though is that the fun of the game/layout transcends the code style. I suck at pinball, but having great fun with dialed in. I hope the code on POTC won't spoil the simple fun and challenge that they managed on Dialed In.

The toys and layout looks fun. Lots of multi balls. Lots of non mode challenges. Risk reward. Seems like a ton of fun. And then the modes challenging you to work through lots of varied shot combos.

#779 6 years ago

Best quote of Episode 52: "It takes your balls and puts them in subways where you don't know". I love Greg's reaction LOL

#780 6 years ago

"J P Dewin is the best animator around. J P Dewin is the 2nd best animator. J P Dewin is the third best animator, period".

"Do I care that it doesn't have a bunch of stuff? No, it is the best cake I've ever tried". cakeguments are not allowed.

#781 6 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

"J P Dewin is the best animator around. J P Dewin is the 2nd best animator. J P Dewin is the third best animator, period".
"Do I care that it doesn't have a bunch of stuff? No, it is the best cake I've ever tried". cakeguments are not allowed.

Guess I should have used a cargument

#782 6 years ago

SDTM Episode 53: Reviewing Reviews

Greg and Zach revisit pinball machine reviews over the past year.

#783 6 years ago

Ha ha we were so serious in that first video! Oh how that went out the window!!!!

#784 6 years ago

You guys need a google doc or excel file so we can sort on all the individual categories.

#785 6 years ago

It’s a bummer when your top rated pin can’t be bought. Almost need to split our pins you can buy new. And pins you have to hunt for used.

#786 6 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

You guys need a google doc or excel file so we can sort on all the individual categories.

We sort of do

#787 6 years ago

Looking forward to ratings in the new display / animation category!

#788 6 years ago

I enjoyed the review updates - thanks!

Strange though - I found myself agreeing 100% with Greg's perspective for a change as I'm really digging Batman 66 lately too!

What the hell's wrong with you Zach - whad'ya mean you HATE BM66's music?! Granted, it's not "Cherry Bomb", but then again what is?

#789 6 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Strange though - I found myself agreeing 100% with Greg's perspective for a change as I'm really digging Batman 66 lately too!
What the hell's wrong with you Zach - whad'ya mean you HATE BM66's music?! Granted, it's not "Cherry Bomb", but then again what is?

Cherry Bomb for the win! Haha

#790 6 years ago

Yet another great video. Just watching it they seem like the kind of guys you just want to have a beer with. (and not punch in the face) You guys Really need to do an unplugged kind of video (off the cuff edited of coarse) maybe a driving go-pro cam (like the American Pickers only the American Pinballers) on your next adventure. lol I am betting the conversations and rhetoric would rival Bill and Teds great adventure.

#791 6 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Thank you sir!

Quoted from Yelobird:

Yet another great video. Just watching it they seem like the kind of guys you just want to have a beer with. (and not punch in the face) You guys Really need to do an unplugged kind of video (off the cuff edited of coarse) maybe a driving go-pro cam (like the American Pickers only the American Pinballers) on your next adventure. lol I am betting the conversations and rhetoric would rival Bill and Teds great adventure.

You know we have discussed something similar to this! Our distance between each other is the major hang up but who knows.....we may be able to do a few a year! And I can’t thank you both enough for all your support!!!

#792 6 years ago

Can you share it?

#793 6 years ago

Greg...fonts matter. They speak to either the effort taken into integrating the theme with the animation or being completely lazy. I dare you to put the arial font in JJP's Pirates of the Caribbean animations and get back to me to see if fonts are important. To me Pins are not only fun to play but works of art. I wouldn't say it would prevent me completely from buying a pin but it would definitely bug me.

#794 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Greg...fonts matter. They speak to either the effort taken into integrating the theme with the animation or being completely lazy. I dare you to put the arial font in JJP's Pirates of the Caribbean animations and get back to me to see if fonts are important. To me Pins are not only fun to play but works of art. I wouldn't say it would prevent me completely from buying a pin but it would definitely bug me.

Hear that Greg....hahaha

#795 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Definitely agree - fonts are part of the display package, done wrong and they wreck the look of the display a good deal. Also, bad 'fonts' on the play field also hurt it a lot as well.

#796 6 years ago

By the way - you really quickly moved through Hobbs. While I know Keith and the crew have been hard at it on Pirates - I think missing the final wizard mode would have impacted your score a bit.

Still a amazingly beautiful machine and the LCD display and sound still may be the best out there.

Anyway, just wondered why there wasn't any more comments on the coding delays - and Hobbit is still one of my favs

#797 6 years ago

Great episode... until Greg called John Williams' score on Star Wars just "Ok"

#798 6 years ago

Can't wait till you guys review the review of your reviews down the road. It's an endless cycle. SDTM content for decades to come.

For those with malfunctioning detectors......

Great show guys!

#799 6 years ago

Great video. It shows what we all kind of do over time...change our opinions. Whether it is more time on a machine, learning the rules, or maybe that we got a bad first impression, it is amazing how our pinball opinions can change. Especially in our current environment of Pinside and Podcasts where early reviews can "sour" someone's opinion on a game before even playing it. I walked up to a Hobbit before I even knew about Pinside. I had a blast and bought one. Then I found out I was supposed to hate it. lol. When I first walked up to a Batman 66 or SW, I had very low expectations because I read and heard so many bad early reviews and then realized that they were a blast to play. To be fair, I didn't get around to playing BM or SW until code was pretty far along. I hope you guys continue to update your reviews as code or experience changes your view of a game.

#800 6 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Can't wait till you guys review the review of your reviews down the road. It's an endless cycle. SDTM content for decades to come.

How many times do you see someone has updated their review of game XYZ on the Pinside Top 100? Opinions change with time.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 16.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Sherrill, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

6,150 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

6,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
Machine - For Sale
Hutto, TX
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

There are 6,219 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 125.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinball-show-straight-down-the-middle-a-pinball-show/page/16 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.