bean.gif
it.gif
stare.gif
f35b2ff373368a44c84b2d1e84b8048d6c2b3c14 (resized).jpg
IMG20220412195552 (resized).jpg
A29E882C-2FDB-4220-BC1A-F00A36E60085 (resized).jpeg
Photo_20170524_120226 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,219 posts in this topic. You are on page 111 of 125.
#5501 3 years ago

Ok, lets start a friendly argument. top over rated: addams family, ToM, octoberfest, black hole, walking dead (cheap drains), acdc, and meteor (cool old game..for about 2 minutes until your bored to death).

Underrated: stern potc, munsters (yes, I know everyone hates the code but it shoots well), stern's kiss, game of thrones (one of the 5 best games ever), dialed in, stern star wars, ghostbusters, batman 66, big guns, houdini, and fish tales.

#5502 3 years ago

Agreed with everything (especially B66) but Wh2O. I just love it. I’d love to find a super nice professionally restored one.

#5503 3 years ago

You must really hate Oktoberfest to consider that overrated. That is not a popular game at all.

#5504 3 years ago

By far the most under rated game is Wonka....the game is incredible with a great layout, multiple shots, great flow, and code that is incredibly complex. I bet it took me 30-40 just to figure out what was going on. I can see why they would think TAF would be over rated, but it was a really innovative game for its time. I'd love to own one if I could find a nice example.

#5505 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I can see why they would think TAF would be over rated, but it was a really innovative game for its time. I'd love to own one if I could find a nice example.

I don't know that anyone regrets buying TAF . . . or the day they sell it.

#5506 3 years ago

Everyone has a list... its fun.
But...

All pinball machines are fun.
Not all pinball machines are great.

Message from the Freeeek Kingdom.

#5507 3 years ago
Quoted from Burley9043:

I don't know that anyone regrets buying TAF . . . or the day they sell it.

Spot on perfect description lol.

Quoted from PtownPin:

By far the most under rated game is Wonka....the game is incredible with a great layout, multiple shots, great flow, and code that is incredibly complex. I bet it took me 30-40 just to figure out what was going on. I can see why they would think TAF would be over rated, but it was a really innovative game for its time. I'd love to own one if I could find a nice example.

Couldn’t agree more on Wonka. Oddly most JJP titles take a while to “mature”. Can’t think of one that I fell in love with in a few plays. I suspect it’s the depth of code not sure,

#5508 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Spot on perfect description lol.

Couldn’t agree more on Wonka. Oddly most JJP titles take a while to “mature”. Can’t think of one that I fell in love with in a few plays. I suspect it’s the depth of code not sure,

For me its definitely the code....POTC, and WW took a long time for me to really understand. Once it clicks the games are far more enjoyable.

#5509 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

You must really hate Oktoberfest to consider that overrated. That is not a popular game at all.

i do hate it. most folks i talk to that have played it, like it a lot. i love the theme, but the execution was not good. ball times are far too long. just never liked the game.

#5510 3 years ago

I bought one new, waited years for it, was duly impressed by the light show, but figured out I wasn't having any fun playing it, and was not sad to see it go, and do not miss even a little: WOZ.

Like I said in the R&M club thread: R&M made me feel like I expected WOZ to, and didn't. And I had to wait a long time for each, so it wasn't just unrealistic expectations built up over time. For all its innovations, WOZ was not enjoyable, just aggravating. It's easily the most overrated game I've ever owned, at least.

#5511 3 years ago

I can see people calling BM66 overrated, it's one of those pins where it's hard to explain what it does well, it's just really fun to play. The music, the clips, lots of flow. The thing I don't understand is calling it a clunkfest. That's one of the easiest shooters of the modern era, a wide open playfield with some standard orbits and ramps at the top, and a giant turntable that you'd have to be 20 beers deep to miss.

#5512 3 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I bought one new, waited years for it, was duly impressed by the light show, but figured out I wasn't having any fun playing it, and was not sad to see it go, and do not miss even a little: WOZ.
Like I said in the R&M club thread: R&M made me feel like I expected WOZ to, and didn't. And I had to wait a long time for each, so it wasn't just unrealistic expectations built up over time. For all its innovations, WOZ was not enjoyable, just aggravating. It's easily the most overrated game I've ever owned, at least.

Yeah, if you got it at the beginning in 2013 and sold it within a year or two, you really didn't experience the game. It was polished over a very long period of time and didn't get really good until around 2016-17. Haven't put my hands on jjGnR yet, but WoZ is still my #2 JJP game. I finally sold it a few months ago, and am not opposed to having it again in the future.

#5513 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yeah, if you got it at the beginning in 2013 and sold it within a year or two, you really didn't experience the game. It was polished over a very long period of time and didn't get really good until around 2016-17. Haven't put my hands on jjGnR yet, but WoZ is still my #2 JJP game. I finally sold it a few months ago, and am not opposed to having it again in the future.

I never liked how it shoots. A bunch of fancy, confusing rules is no help. Besides, I didn't sell it right away, I did the updates. It was pretty, but I never felt the urge to turn it on.

I wanted an instant ball save option, F that SOTR BS, if you light all those lights by the drain pop you should get your damn ball back then, not a herculean task first. But that was my idea, the almighty programmer would hear none of it. God, I hated that "innovation," I was ready to disable the pop altogether. Getting worked up just remembering it. And that was just one suggestion ignored.

Still, it's WOZ, not WoZ. That always irritated me too! Acronyms generally use the beginnings of words, all caps. [W]izard of [OZ], not [W]izard [o]f o[Z]. Man, forgot how much I don't miss arguing about that one! Besides, where did the "The" go? Should have been TWOO in the first place. What did Wozniak have to do with anything?

#5514 3 years ago

I never liked how it shoots.

I hated TWD. Thought it shot like crap. Then Lyman completely redid the rules. Now it's one of my favorite games, even though I don't like horror. Code can change a "poor shooting" game into a masterpiece. TWD proved that. But it takes YEARS to happen.

A bunch of fancy, confusing rules is no help. Besides, I didn't sell it right away, I did the updates. It was pretty, but I never felt the urge to turn it on.

If you sold it within the first 3 years (which it sounds like you did) you basically missed the game.

I wanted an instant ball save option, F that SOTR BS, if you light all those lights by the drain pop you should get your damn ball back then, not a herculean task first. But that was my idea, the almighty programmer would hear none of it. God, I hated that "innovation," I was ready to disable the pop altogether. Getting worked up just remembering it. And that was just one suggestion ignored.

That was one of those things that seemed awesome until you had to do it, over and over. I don't like it, either. I think there's a good idea in there, but it still needs work it may never see to be right. TOTO is a much better ball save since it's short and quick.

#5515 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

If you sold it within the first 3 years (which it sounds like you did) you basically missed the game.

Nope. Mid 2017. And I've played it since, no love lost. Rules don't change the feel of shots. I never had the LED problems, either, which turned a lot of early buyers against it.

Don't get me wrong, amazing for a first game from JJP. Simply the most overrated game I ever owned, going by all the accolades vs. how "meh" it made me feel, combined with the absolute disregard of my suggestions.

#5516 3 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

All pinball machines are fun.

Are you sure? Have you played BBBB? Thunderbirds?

#5517 3 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

Are you sure? Have you played BBBB? Thunderbirds?

I haven't personally played Bug's Bunny's Birthday Bash, but I've watched others play it. And it actually looks like an alright game. Definitely far worse games out there.

#5518 3 years ago

We live in different times. Machines are now designed for home ownership. Older machines designed for quick fun games at the arcade or bar. Personally, I enjoy older games because I don't like playing a single game for 40 mins. And who the hell wants to do complicated Math when playing pinball?

Keep the games short, simple, fast and fun. Rollercoaster's are amazing fun for 3 mins, neusating vomit rockets if stuck on one for 10 mins.

So there is no valid argument for overated games, when games designed for different purposes are compared.

TAF was an astonishing success and the world's most popular pinball game for a reason.....it was designed that way.

#5519 3 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

I haven't personally played Bug's Bunny's Birthday Bash, but I've watched others play it. And it actually looks like an alright game. Definitely far worse games out there.

Please name one game that is “far worse” than BBBB.

#5520 3 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

Please name one game that is “far worse” than BBBB.

There are a lot of EMs from the late '60s and early/mid '70s that almost seem like they were designed by an algorithm, as basic as can be and a very slight re-working of dozens of games before. BBBB definitely did some things wrong/badly, but it's also really unique and ambitious. Personally I'll take "unique, ambitious, but flawed" over boilerplate yawners.

#5521 3 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

to me POTC would be high on the list. I have never owned it, but Ive played it enough times at Silverball Museum. I just cant get into it and I actually really like the theme. Right next to it on location is dialed in which I love.

If you play it when it is clean and well maintained you might have a much different experience. A dirty JJPOTC is no fun to play at all, and it needs to be cleaned more often than most machines.

#5522 3 years ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

And who the hell wants to do complicated Math when playing pinball?

Is adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing complicated?

Where’s this 10 min rollercoaster? I wanna ride it. Haha

#5523 3 years ago

I've actually figured out that pinball machines have computers in them, so I let them do all the mathematics for me!

#5524 3 years ago

I liked the list but TAF shouldn’t be on the list maybe MB instead. Agree with BM66.

#5525 3 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

HOT OF THE PRESS, NEW SDTM!!!
Top 10 Most Overrated Pinball Machines Of All Time
Help support SDTM by sharing this video!
Warning: Adult Language
Pinball
#top10
#overrated
#sdtmpinball

Great job, really enjoyed the list! A couple of ideas for future ones:

-Top 10 most polarizing games: these are the ones where some people think they are the best game ever, while others think they're absolute crap. No opinions in the middle. I used to own a Stargate and I would put it in that category. I thought it was an amazing game, but people either love it or absolutely hate it.

-Top 10 games everyone considers easy, but somehow you struggle with them. Might need some honesty here, as I'm sure it is embarrasing to admit, but would like to hear them.

#5526 3 years ago

MM. Why people like that game so much I have no idea.

#1 forever on the top 100 list, why I dont know.

#5527 3 years ago

Great list! Whitewater!!? Really... one the best worlds under glass? to each is there own I do completely agree with TAF. Never owned one, don’t plan to, and never understood the hype. Keep the awesome content rolling!

#5528 3 years ago

I reckon by definition every brand new game that hits the top 20 all time on Pinside is de facto "overrated"
It takes a bit of time for a game to mature, to let the dust settle a little bit, to be able to form a true judgment and consider a game to be an "all time great".
this is why imo this discussion is mainly reserved to classic games and modern classics (until, say 2010ish/2015 max...)
it's like with the NFL Hall of Fame: there is a 5-year waiting period before being voted in if you are deserving of the Hall of Fame.

#5529 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

MM. Why people like that game so much I have no idea.
#1 forever on the top 100 list, why I dont know.

Because its a perfect pinball machine...looks great, great shots, incredible flow, great rule set, humor, and one of the best toys in all of pinball (castle)

#5530 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Because its a perfect pinball machine...looks great, great shots, incredible flow, great rule set, humor, and one of the best toys in all of pinball (castle)

I almost agree except for the fact that exploiting the castle shot from the left flipper return feed is a simple, boring route to huge scores that a semi skilled player has to willfully resist/ignore for the game to be at all challenging. I’ve only played it on location and at league maybe 20 times total and put up GC scores that were not even exciting to achieve.

#5531 3 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

I almost agree except for the fact that exploiting the castle shot from the left flipper return feed is a simple, boring route to huge scores that a semi skilled player has to willfully resist/ignore for the game to be at all challenging. I’ve only played it on location and at league maybe 20 times total and put up GC scores that were not even exciting to achieve.

Theres a lot more to the game than blowing up castles....the game just has everything, which is why its always ranked at the top. I also love that the rules are very easy to understand yet the game is not easy to beat.

#5532 3 years ago

agree with entire list except White Water.

#5533 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Theres a lot more to the game than blowing up castles....the game just has everything, which is why its always ranked at the top. I also love that the rules are very easy to understand yet the game is not easy to beat.

100% and always dislike this comment that blowing up the castle is all there is...I have owned my MM for over 3 years now and the game is a blast. Trying to get to Battle for the Kingdom and then beating that is a rush every time. I have only beaten it like 8 times. And my machine has close to 3,000 plays. I don't care about score in that game. To me its all about beating it. Then after beating it the goal is to try and get thru it all again. Gotten to Battle twice in one game and that was fun.

#5534 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I didnt say it sucks or anything... best of all time is laughable though.

Its OK.

It also an easyish game so theres that I guess.

I think Monster Bash is a snooze also so what do I know.

#5535 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

agree with entire list except White Water.

One of those games if it came out today people would have a field day ripping it to pieces...

Cant see half the playfield, ugly ass art, terrible music on and on.

Its a fun game but its goofy as shit.

#5536 3 years ago

I didnt say it sucks or anything... best of all time is laughable though.
Its OK.
It also an easyish game so theres that I guess.
I think Monster Bash is a snooze also so what do I know.

I like MB, but its not in the same league as MM....we all know best of all time is laughable in general...so what would be at your top of the list....

#5537 3 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I like MB, but its not in the same league as MM....we all know best of all time is laughable in general...so what would be at your top of the list....

Id put tons of games before MM (and I did own one for a while years ago)

To compare to something similar in layout Id say LOTR

LOTR has better rules, better theme integration, music, shots etc etc... only edge to MM there is maybe art.

AFM is a simpler game but to me way more fun also.

#5538 3 years ago

Id put tons of games before MM (and I did own one for a while years ago)
To compare to something similar in layout Id say LOTR
LOTR has better rules, better theme integration, music, shots etc etc... only edge to MM there is maybe art.
AFM is a simpler game but to me way more fun also.

I own both LOTR and AFM as well, and they are both great games....its pretty hard to pick between the 3. My only point is I can see why MM has been at the top of the mountain as it really does do everything well. Personally for me my favorite game is Williams IJ....

#5539 3 years ago

One of those games if it came out today people would have a field day ripping it to pieces...
Cant see half the playfield, ugly ass art, terrible music on and on.
Its a fun game but its goofy as shit.

Well if it came out today from Stern the topper would be a $2500 add-on.

#5540 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Well if it came out today from Stern the topper would be a $2500 add-on.

Best post of the day!

#5541 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Where’s this 10 min rollercoaster? I wanna ride it. Haha

Youtube "The Ultimate at Lightwater Valley" and snooze the time away. It's about 7 minutes, but you'll get the idea.

#5542 3 years ago
Quoted from IcePagoda:

Youtube "The Ultimate at Lightwater Valley" and snooze the time away. It's about 7 minutes, but you'll get the idea.

Looks like a nice ride to bring a couple beers and some smoke on.

#5543 3 years ago
Quoted from IcePagoda:

This is 3 mins too short unfortunately. And yeah definitely bring some beers.

1 week later
#5545 3 years ago

What's with the Reservoir Dogs look? Is Dennis making a special appearance to strap Zach into a chair and sing "Stuck in the Middle with You"? And who is Mr. Brown? Gotta tune in now.

#5546 3 years ago

Wow im late on overrated games.
Woz, BOP, GB, Acdc, TAF, DM, Alien, JM, Stargazer

Newer hot titles, Baywatch.

#5547 3 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Greg & Zach Are Back! TONIGHT LIVE!

Great to see you guys setting the new standards, epic and unbeatable as always.
You deserve a best pinball industry awards for having the best pinball industry awards show!

Spilled my beer at the greenscreen ending

1 week later
#5548 3 years ago

NEW SDTM Cary Hardy!

Saving Swords Of Fury Part 8

#5549 3 years ago

FRESH. NEW. SDTM.

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (TMNT) In-Depth Pinball Machine Review

#5550 3 years ago

Good vid on TMNT Zach and Greg. Thought it was one of your most objective and balanced reviews yet. I really enjoy the way this one shoots more than expected - both pro and premium. Borg and Dwight took it back up a notch.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 300.00
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks
Other
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation
Decals
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
PWM Designs
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 16.00
6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
O'fallon, IL
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball
Other
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 6,219 posts in this topic. You are on page 111 of 125.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinball-show-straight-down-the-middle-a-pinball-show/page/111?hl=zaki and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.