bean.gif
it.gif
stare.gif
f35b2ff373368a44c84b2d1e84b8048d6c2b3c14 (resized).jpg
IMG20220412195552 (resized).jpg
A29E882C-2FDB-4220-BC1A-F00A36E60085 (resized).jpeg
Photo_20170524_120226 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,219 posts in this topic. You are on page 110 of 125.
#5451 3 years ago

ZMeny I kind of want a CE now too.....damnit...I dont feel like Im missing the wonkivator lock much with my SE, but everything else just looks nice. But 5k is a lot for all that!

#5452 3 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

zmeny I kind of want a CE now too.....damnit...I dont feel like Im missing the wonkivator lock much with my SE, but everything else just looks nice. But 5k is a lot for all that!

Yeah I know. The price is a killer but damn it’s so nice looking

#5453 3 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

NEW SDTM!
Willy Wonka Pinball Machine Review (Jersey Jack Pinball, 2019)

Yet another B+ from Greg. Shocking!

#5454 3 years ago

CE only way to go! Its purrrrdy....

#5455 3 years ago

ZMeny your sdtm video has given a kickstart to wonka forums and suddenly people are appreciating this game more. People have contacted me about selling my game.

Point being I would love sdtm to go back more to games from 1-3 years ago and do reviews. When they come out the code is so early on and the games change a lot over time. Look at deadpool. At launch it was meh and now its awesome.

Would like to see videos doing more deep dives going back to games like star wars, black knight, dialed in, etc. i know you have covered them, but now that they are code complete would be fun. Maybe even just one long episode covering 3 games like this.

#5456 3 years ago

HOT OF THE PRESS, NEW SDTM!!!

Top 10 Most Overrated Pinball Machines Of All Time

Help support SDTM by sharing this video!

Warning: Adult Language

#pinball
#top10
#overrated
#sdtmpinball

#5457 3 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Pinball
#top10
#overrated
#sdtmpinball

Very entertaining. I was fooled when Pinstadium came on after Big Bang Bar, thinking, "That's bold, but they're not wrong" - then I realized it was a sponsor ad and not a "most overrated" accessory interlude. Ya got me with that one.

And Whitewater is a fun game, just not for the price it goes for these days.

#5458 3 years ago

Hmmm. Generally agree until you got to BM66. Kind of surprised Only based on market price that Fathom didn't make the list. Really fun game and art just Crazy prices. Agree on most of the rest granted I would have trifecta added Road Show over BM66

#5459 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

And Whitewater is a fun game, just not for the price it goes for these days.

What is really the going rate for a WhiteWater these days? I bought mine almost 25 years ago (for $1K).

#5460 3 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

NEW SDTM Cary Hardy
The Hakko FR301 Desoldering Tool Review

Another shout out for this Hakko desoldering tool review; I own two ancient Hakko 470's I have dumped probably too much $$$ in to keep running for the next 30 years (they are really well built, and parts support is crazy considering the age of the machines; they were ex commercially used units and old when I bought them used around 2003 or so).

I think any pinballer who has been in the hobby any length of time, and done their own repairs, has the feeling "I should have bought this long ago" when first doing any repair work with a good desoldering tool. Making the near impossible trivial should be their slogan

#5461 3 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I think any pinballer who has been in the hobby any length of time, and done their own repairs, has the feeling "I should have bought this long ago" when first doing any repair work with a good desoldering tool. Making the near impossible trivial should be their slogan

You hit is on the head. Best way to describe this tool is When you eventually buy one you Instantly wonder Why you waited so long to get one. Justified in one use to me.

#5462 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Hmmm. Generally agree until you got to BM66. Kind of surprised Only based on market price that Fathom didn't make the list. Really fun game and art just Crazy prices. Agree on most of the rest granted I would have trifecta added Road Show over BM66

A few surprises on this list!

I too was surprised Fathom did not make the cut given Zach's prior comments on it.

I think almost every game for sale is "overpriced" these days, so maybe pinball as a whole is over-rated by that logic? With the benefit of hindsight, I think your list was more "lowest return in fun vs. $$$ spent" than strictly over-rated. I think whatever brand new release gets voted to the top of the Top 100 list is always going to be the "most overrated" game at that time.

I remember seeing a Quicksilver for sale at a show for ~$1100 around 2008 and had fun playing it; I thought "that is a neat game". Would I trade my JP2 for it? No.

#5463 3 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

"lowest return in fun vs. $$$ spent" than strictly over-rated.

I agree. I'd like to see them rename this video and do an overrated RATING list.
Rare, expensive collectible_ games (Big Bang Bar, Kingpin, Spirit and Quicksilver) took up too much space on their list.
They forgot Joust! Fathom!

WH2O, Batman, Addam's Family made sense though....

#5464 3 years ago

Ohhh I can’t wait to watch it. I bet some feathers will be ruffled.

Quoted from ZMeny:

Pinball
#top10
#overrated
#sdtmpinball

#5465 3 years ago

Love your shows, very entertaining.

But you guys are off the mark on Quicksilver. It's simply one of the best games ever made.

#5466 3 years ago

Over rated list episode was pretty good. List could be easily doubled . There are are a number of games that fall in the over rated category that people fawn over or seek out and really they are just pretty average or even below average games when you have played them a few times. Some of these are the ones that bring money because of their over rated reputations or because of rarity. You guys hit those points.

Good episode.

#5467 3 years ago

Well...you got 4 right. KP, EATPM, AF & QS. 40%, I expected as much

#5468 3 years ago

My one problem with your 10 most over rated pins was FG/Shrek. That is a solid shooting pin that requires you to play upper and lower playfields simultaneously. The only pin I can think of that does this is JJPOTC. Contrary to many opinions, this feels both hectic and challenging. There is the humor factor with the game too, and this game is funny. Finally it has the unique benefit of playing two versions of the same pin where a Shrek can play FGY and vice versa and both versions are about equal. The only downside of Shrek is hearing Smashmouth until you want to smash them in the mouth. Now if this pin costs $6k like a Stern pro, I’d agree it was expensive. But it doesn’t, HUO ranges from $4.5k-$5k, making it a very good value. Given the Beatles pin in the background, I was sure you would list Beatles gold, platinum and diamond versions as highly priced to value.

#5469 3 years ago
Quoted from mbeardsley:

What is really the going rate for a WhiteWater these days? I bought mine almost 25 years ago (for $1K).

I bought mine for just under $6k. It came with a Color DMD, LEDs, and upgraded speakers, so a bit of the price included that, but I gotta say the price was worth it *to me*. I legit can't get enough of the game, it's just pure fun for me.

#5470 3 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

I gotta say the price was worth it *to me*.

That's with any game or item I buy. Don't care about price so much as, is it worth it *to me*.
Sold a EM once and two people told me I would never get that price. Two days later got PM to make sure that was the price and drove 300+ miles oneway to get it.

#5471 3 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

My one problem with your 10 most over rated pins was FG/Shrek. That is a solid shooting pin that requires you to play upper and lower playfields simultaneously. The only pin I can think of that does this is JJPOTC.

Munsters Prem/LE does this, too. It's not fun there, either.

I agree with Family Guy/Shrek being crappy. I find zero joy in that pin. But I am only an icon of pin taste, not the arbiter, so people have other opinions.

#5472 3 years ago

Monster bash should be on there...

the art is great but its one of those games everyone has to own at one time or another but always sells.

#5473 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

the art is great but its one of those games everyone has to own at one time or another but always sells.

Agreed! I burnt out on that game in record time and out it went.

#5474 3 years ago
D16FF5EC-EE30-49A9-8FE3-6D680A04DDD2.jpegD16FF5EC-EE30-49A9-8FE3-6D680A04DDD2.jpeg
#5475 3 years ago

I actually agree with ya there. Many of those top 10 overrated I’d own before MB. Great call Elvis!

#5476 3 years ago

No way batman 66 is overrated. Underrated is more like it. It's a far better game than a lot of the ps top 25 ganes.

Over rated is potc and adams family

#5477 3 years ago

Hi there

I always love your videos! Great work.
This is my personal request. Can you do a top 10 pins that I will not pay to play when they are in location? I don’t mean they are bad pins at all. Is it because I am not a very good pinball player.

These are my top three:
F14- I like this game but average ball time could be less than 30 seconds

BSD- You can have 3 to 4 games without starting a multiballs. Just another drain monster.

TZ- Most of the game that I played in location have some sort of issues. Like Clock or switches.

In general, I don’t mind pins have long ball time like LOTR because I know I can leave the free game to other people.

#5478 3 years ago
Quoted from zaki:

No way batman 66 is overrated. Underrated is more like it. It's a far better game than a lot of the ps top 25 ganes.
Over rated is potc and adams family

Once I did the thing on B66, I pretty much never wanted to play it again.

I actually think Dark Knight is better than B66

#5479 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I actually think Dark Knight is better than B66

Whoa! Strong take Chuck!

#5480 3 years ago

QS, WH2O, and TAF??? But not ToM or CC???

#5481 3 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Whoa! Strong take Chuck!

Haha. I know it’s an extremely unpopular opinion, but it’s the truth! For me at least.

#5482 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Haha. I know it’s an extremely unpopular opinion, but it’s the truth! For me at least.

Opinions can vary on pinside. Hey. I think walking dead is overrated

#5483 3 years ago

Makes sense. I think a case can be made for TWD being the greatest game ever made.

#5484 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Makes sense. I think a case can be made for TWD being the greatest game ever made.

I hate horror/zombies and I came around to TWD once I got past the theme. It's a FANTASTIC game. Easily in my top 10, probably top 5. One of the few I still miss. Also demands a ColorDMD for the full experience.

#5485 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Easy argument because it may be the greatest ever made...only if it’s the Pro...

#5486 3 years ago

You almost had it! Haha. Still time to edit that post.

#5487 3 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Pinball
#top10
#overrated
#sdtmpinball

Love the video (like all SDTM vids!). I have six games on your Top 10 Most Overrated Pinball Machines Of All Time; TAF, BBB, Spirit, BM66, WH2O and SC! They may be overrated, but each has a story and a place in my collection! Keep the vids coming!

#5488 3 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

I have six games on your Top 10 Most Overrated Pinball Machines Of All Time; TAF, BBB, Spirit, BM66, WH2O and SC! They may be overrated, but each has a story and a place in my collection! Keep the vids coming!

Lol you have 72 pins , I'm sure you've got almost every list covered

#5489 3 years ago

Pinball is subjective which is great and everyone has a right to their opinion... but objectively you’re absolutely wrong on QS If you’re basing it on value due to rarity then that’s a conversation, but overrated as a pinball shows you either haven’t played it or haven’t played a decent one.

Artwork, rules, sounds and shots are sublime. I could sell all my pins and leave just QS and I’d be happy. It’s not overrated, it’s simply highly coveted, like many great and rare games. There’s good reason top end players like Bowen and KME rate it so highly. Keep in mind it’s a 40 year game and it plays as fast as anything of the modern era. It’s fkn rad!!

The rest of your list I tend to agree with.

WH20 turns into a snoozefest after not too long. BBB’s price is boosted due to rarity and gorgeous looks, but yep lacks a bit in a few other categories. I don’t mind Spirit. Elvira is one of my least fav Sys 11’s. I like Lawlor games but yep, TAF sucks, especially when you consider the mad prices. Safecracker isn’t really overrated, it’s just a quirky novelty pin.

TOM and TOTAN come to mind as genuine overrated pins when it comes to value vs gameplay. Along with TAF they’d be my top 3.

#5490 3 years ago

to me POTC would be high on the list. I have never owned it, but Ive played it enough times at Silverball Museum. I just cant get into it and I actually really like the theme. Right next to it on location is dialed in which I love.

#5491 3 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Easy argument because it may be the greatest ever made...only if it’s the Pro...

Dude, premium. No button on the lockdown bar, no buy. Great strategy to get multiball ready and save it. That insurance policy is required for such a brutal game.

#5492 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I agree. It's perfect only if it's the Premium/LE. Had a pro and upgraded. At first I was questioning my decision, but a year later - it's a no brainer. Adds so much to the game. I honestly don't know how the game could be better.

#5493 3 years ago

Similar to JP I think the only improvement could be theme integration, but it’s a small gripe. It does a very good job of being a zombie game. Just not a very good job of being a TWD game.

#5494 3 years ago

Bride of Pinbot... great theme and art but the entire game is one shot.

they go for pretty good dough.

#5495 3 years ago

I loved the video but I can't get behind Batman 66. Great game.

#5496 3 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Similar to JP I think the only improvement could be theme integration, but it’s a small gripe. It does a very good job of being a zombie game. Just not a very good job of being a TWD game.

Which is perfect for me as I hate the show anyway.

#5497 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

Whereas I think they are bang on as I wanted to like it so bad but what a damn clunk fest! Totally over rated. Also agree with Adam's Family, always wondered why so expensive when game is just ok and probably the most made out of any other tittle!

#5498 3 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Whereas I think they are bang on as I wanted to like it so bad but what a damn clunk fest! Totally over rated. Also agree with Adam's Family, always wondered why so expensive when game is just ok and probably the most made out of any other tittle!

Other factors go into rating a pin, that aren’t even being considered and they should be. The Bally / Williams dmd era occurred between 1992-2000. During these years you will find every B/W title that you can think. In 1992, TAF was introduced, and it took the public by storm, selling about 21k units to arcades. It single handedly juicied the public’s frenzy for pinball with it’s creative toys, 4 flippers, special effects, lightshow, theme, integration of all elements in a way never seen. Also it was probably the degree of success of each element that was important. Some other aspects that are ignored in the ratings 1) level of kinetic interaction of the ball in the game 2) amount of flow resulting from the layout 3) degree of stop to see the effects was right 4) people realized there were rules 5) rules were easy to learn 6) rules were synchronized with lights, sounds and scoring 7) game offered multiballs 8.) extra balls could be earned 9) real voice assets were offered 10) level and execution of humor in theme. TAF was the first to do all these things and because you could see them all in action, it was a big deal. Years later and everybody has done these things and have improved on each element. But credit TAF for it’s role in modern pinball. How do you add extra credit value to the scoring system to account for these things?

Since these factors are missing, and credit for them can’t be given, the scoring system is only so accurate. As flawed as it is, it’s the best we have for measuring the success of a pinball machine. Use it to help judge pins, but form your personal experience and opinion, as it is the only thing that truly matters. You say clunkfest, I say yes. But I cut TAF some slack because of these and other intangible factors. Stuff like ... how does it make you feel? how do you feel about ownership? how do you feel about long-term appeal of the theme? How much nostalgia do you feel for it? (prepare to get in touch with your feelings). TAF should be a top 20 game and it currently sits at 16. Not too hot, not too cool, just right. Cheers.

#5499 3 years ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

Man I wish I agreed. I loved the series as a kid and wanted to like the game but.....

The art and everything else is great but its a borderline unplayable clunkfest to me.

#5500 3 years ago

Man I wish I agreed. I loved the series as a kid and wanted to like the game but.....
The art and everything else is great but its a borderline unplayable clunkfest to me.

They summarized the game well: none of the shots feel good. (I think they said, 'what's your favorite shot in BM66?'

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 300.00
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
Machine - For Sale
Columbia, SC
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks
Other
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation
Decals
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
PWM Designs
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 16.00
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball
Other
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 6,219 posts in this topic. You are on page 110 of 125.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinball-show-straight-down-the-middle-a-pinball-show/page/110?hl=dr-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.