New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 61951)

New pinball sales data site

By jrkitty

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 90 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by flynnibus
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

After almost 4 years of collecting data, 3 servers, some very expensive software, lots of cursing, and a lot of hard scripting and html work, we are pleased to announce the official release of PinballPrice.com

This site is free to use and includes a very large database of actual pinball sales records. This site does not attempt to set prices like some others try and do, this site just shows you the facts and allows you to see for yourself how much games are trading for in the industry. This includes onsite game auctions as well as ebay sales.

You can submit sales records to add to the database of games you sell, but we will take steps to verify accuracy as best we can before it will be included. This site was a tremendous amount of work and also a great amount of money to develop including labor, software and server costs. The site is planned to someday include a classified section in the future but we may have to move to a larger dedicated server prior to that release.

I hope you like the site and hopefully you will no longer need to request a “price check” to get an idea what your game is worth.

Surely some haters will not like this site, but remember this site is not trying to influence or determine pinball prices like some other books and sites try to do. This is about educating others about what games really sell for, and not speculation based on the opinion of one or a few.

Be sure to read the “how to use this site” section, as you can sort based on price, location, sale date, and more. The results also indicate the high, low and average pricing of the records in the database. You can search by game name or IPD#, but spelling is important. Also look at the small photo displayed in the results to verify you are looking at the correct game. Also included is a links section, events section, and info on upcoming auctions. A page also explains some factors that can attribute to a machines worth.

Please “like” our page on Facebook to follow site updates, and help us spread the word by telling your friends. If you have input or suggestions you can email us from the site directly so you don’t have to communicate here. Hopefully you will find this site useful and help the cause by contributing actual data. As we get to know you better and see who we can trust to submit accurate data, then your inclusions will be expedited. For now we will use caution to try and keep this as accurate as possible for you to enjoy.

Here is a link to the site, http://www.pinballprice.com/
    Thanks for reading
    Scott

#2 7 years ago

Scott,

Very nice work, and you've collected quite a bit of data. The only complaint I have is that it wasn't intuitive to click on the left > to expand into all the sales data. I would probably somehow incorporate the average price that's clickable to expand. Otherwise, awesome work.

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

Scott,
    Very nice work, and you've collected quite a bit of data. The only complaint I have is that it wasn't intuitive to click on the left > to expand into all the sales data. I would probably somehow incorporate the average price that's clickable to expand. Otherwise, awesome work.

Yep took me a bit to figure it out. But otherwise nice work and will come in handy.
    Thanks.

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

Scott,

Quoted from KoolFingers:

Yep took me a bit to figure it out. But otherwise nice work and will come in handy.
    Thanks.

Me too. But it looks like it could be a very helpful tool. Thanks.

#5 7 years ago

Very awesome. One suggestion, could the list of sold machines be formatted with must recent first instead?
    Those are more relevant and when there's s lot of records, it just would be nice.

#6 7 years ago

Thanks for doing this!

I'll be interested to see what people do with this ... More data doesn't inherently mean better conclusions! (I understand you are not in any way concluding what the correct price should be.)

Here is an example. Take Road Show...

Total Records = 25
    Average = $2156.76
    Low = $550
    High = $6500

So the price is somewhere between $550 and $6500... Hmmm... While there is a lot of data, there isn't enough data to further pinpoint a reasonable price.

I'm thankful you provide the raw data rather than Pinside, which seems to rely on secret data and a secret algorithm.

#7 7 years ago

Scott,

A couple more small critiques....

I think the default sort date should be newest to oldest. Newer sales are more relevant than those three years ago. (Edit: Kilowog beat me to it)

There appears to be a bug in the spelling of the machine search. For Example, I typed in "The Simpsons Pinball Party" and got no hit. I then looked up the IPDB # and found the machine. The spelling was the same. So I went back to machine name look up, started typing in "The" and Chrome autofilled in the previous entry, so the spelling was the same, and the second time it found it by name. I repeated the same thing with Spider-Man and got similar results. And with Medieval Madness.

#8 7 years ago

Looks good. A few simple usability suggestions... put the search box on top to avoid user scrolling to find it, default it to "name" (hardly anyone has ipdb number), and the header text in the results is a bit funky in Chrome (looks fine in Firefox).

Now what would REALLY differentiate this site from all others is to have a condition rating for each sales price... I know this is only available in a minimal number of cases but without it the price variation will be so large that they are only borderline helpful. Difficult, I know...

#9 7 years ago

One other for me no right click, which I use for copy & paste.

#10 7 years ago

Very nice, I like it, good looking data too! I like that the site actually shows what data is being used.

#11 7 years ago

thanks for the input, as it will all be taken into consideration. As for the search sorting, you can sort by date, price, location, etc. Tomorrow we will change the default sort to ascending order. As for the search spelling, try and simplify it by just typing in “Simpsons” or “Madness”, then you can choose correct game from results shown until we figure everything out.

#12 7 years ago

Very cool. Thanks

#13 7 years ago

I like it. Bookmarked. Maybe add a feature to see average without some of the high and low prices. Or some sort of standard-deviation range. Or even a graph??

#14 7 years ago

FYI, I tried to submit some sale information and it just keep saying "error, try submitting again" Not sure it ever got through. It was for a NASCAR sold at the Allentown show this year.

#15 7 years ago

my feedback:
    Need to be able to define a time range for the search and averaging since last 3 years avg is not real indicative.

Would also be nice to be able to filter by sales type (i.e. ebay or auctionhouse)

Search feature not very user friendly

Nice compilation of ebay data, but numbers seem to be off compared to other sources that do a similar thing and also missing some recent sales (just checked a few things I had recently been looking at so not sure how often your site updates?)

#16 7 years ago

So a site DEDICATED to 'pinball prices'...

Yet on the entire front page only one of the dozens of links on the page are actual links back to the actual purpose of the site??

3 servers.. expensive software? For what? basic LAMP functionality plus a table css library?

A site heavily based on ebay data.. yet has no actual links to the ebay auctions or info on them? Not a hint of game condition (yes, hard to normalize..)

DOA man... lots of data... but if this took you 4 years to build.. you should consider finding some new programming help.

#17 7 years ago

not all the recent data has been entered yet, it will take several more days.

as for the submission error, thanks for pointing that out, seems to be a problem. Hope to have it fixed soon.
    thanks

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from pkiefert:

FYI, I tried to submit some sale information and it just keep saying "error, try submitting again" Not sure it ever got through. It was for a Nascar sold at the Allentown show this year.

Tried to submit a sale as well, same error message as mentioned above. Could be a useful tool, good luck.

#19 7 years ago

Love it! Thanks for another good resource.

#20 7 years ago

Love the site. Its an amazing tool. My day job is selling vinyl records and many times I come across stuff I cannot find anywhere else. I use a site called popsike.com they have a similar site for record collectors. The one biggest suggestion I would make is: pull the front picture off the ebay listing as well as the description. This allows people to size up condition and compare it to what they are looking at. As well as making browsing much easier. I see the low price and the high price. But it doesnt say that the high was nib and the low just came off a container from brazil. Take a second and check out popsike. I think it will only help. Lastly thank you so much for doing this. The community wont realize how valueable this is for awhile. In time my friend. Keep up the good work.

#21 7 years ago

I like the layout and the amount of relative links you have to other sites. Once this site gets some more data on it I think it will be very useful. Thank you for taking the time to make it.

#22 7 years ago

Thanks.

#23 7 years ago

Constructive- bad experience on a mobile browser. Having to click the little arrow to see a game and then scroll down? Not good.... good luck with the site. I tried something similar a few years ago and decided I didn't care enough to help out others if they didn't care enough to submit their info....lol

#24 7 years ago

Interesting, looking forward to checking it out. Thanks

#25 7 years ago

are the auction prices the "hammer price" or the hammer price + tax +buyer fee?

christopher

#26 7 years ago

I just looked this over slightly confusing at first but once you get it figured out it is a great resource thanks for all the time spent on this op.

#27 7 years ago

As I understand it the auction price does not include tax and buyer fee

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

So a site DEDICATED to 'pinball prices'...
    Yet on the entire front page only one of the dozens of links on the page are actual links back to the actual purpose of the site??
    3 servers.. expensive software? For what? basic LAMP functionality plus a table css library?
    A site heavily based on ebay data.. yet has no actual links to the ebay auctions or info on them? Not a hint of game condition (yes, hard to normalize..)
    DOA man... lots of data... but if this took you 4 years to build.. you should consider finding some new programming help.

Please show us the site you built....

Constructive criticism to improve site is one thing...I don't know what your purpose of posting was

#29 7 years ago

Would an app be possible in the near future?

#30 7 years ago

Very interesting. Nice job. Thanks

#31 7 years ago

I sure this could be a great tool for other countries as well, any chance that you can have a option to select a country as well or at least 3 main options - USA / Canada, Europe and Australia

#32 7 years ago

let me try and answer some of the comments. This site is a work in progress and I need to hear feedback so I can possibly correct some things to make the site better. Some of the comments indicate that learning how to use the site will make things a lot easier for the user. Let me use the "Road Show" search example above as this brings up a valid point. The database records are entirely based on the game name and spelling used in the internet pinball database. For that particular game, the correct title is "Red & Ted's Road Show", however I just did a search for "Road Show" and it displayed the game in the results. I also did a search for "Show" and another for "Road", in those instances it displayed several games, then I clicked the arrow to the left of the game I wanted, and it displayed the results. It would be best to use a short search that contains a main title word, then choose from the results.

an app may be possible later after everything settles down and we fine tune some things.

auctions are shown as hammer price not including fees as they vary, and ebay listings are only for games that actually sold with the price in green color and the seller was charged the selling fee.

thanks to all of the positive comments and suggestions. Until now only a few of us working on the site had input, so we did not have all the answers. Try and be patient as we work to improve the site as it requires a lot of time and effort to add data and make changes. Some of the site features are quite complicated to make function and the man responsible for most of that work has done a fantastic job just to get this site up and running.

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from jrkitty:

then I clicked the arrow to the left of the game I wanted, and it displayed the results.

Leaving the arrow is fine, but have the title linkable for dropdown would be ideal for mobile users. that arrow is REALLY small on a 4" screen. Keep on keepin' on.

#34 7 years ago

Bookmarked - thanks!

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

Please show us the site you built....
    Constructive criticism to improve site is one thing...I don't know what your purpose of posting was

I'm a software developer.. I know what goes into a site designed just for db queries, submissions, and display. The core of this is bread and butter cookie cutter stuff. If it took 4 years and 3 servers and tons of software... someone is doing it way wrong.

I'm skeptical. If the site were built for it's stated purpose... why is the main purpose of the site so BURIED and only a fraction of the site's links and real estate? The main purpose of the site isn't actionable on the front page! That's like creating a news site, and having to click 'news' to get to the page with news!

It looks like a site designed to generate reflinks and ads to me.

#36 7 years ago

This has already been mentioned but I am gonna repeat it. Move the search engine to the top of the page and don't use arrows for seeing the results, maybe show the average which is clickable and then expands all the data.

Also default pinball machine name for the search option, its a pain to keep clicking the pinball machine name option in the dropdown and then typing the actual pinball name in the search box.

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from jrkitty:

After almost 4 years of collecting data, 3 servers, some very expensive software, lots of cursing, and a lot of hard scripting and html work, we are pleased to announce the official release of PinballPrice.com
    This site is free to use and includes a very large database of actual pinball sales records.
    Here is a link to the site, http://www.pinballprice.com/Thanks for readingScott

Great idea and wishing you all the best. I'll be making some entries and referencing it.

Don't take this the wrong way, but claiming to be the "largest pinball sales database on the planet"... really? On the first example I used, Black Knight, your data base had 38 entries, bostonpinball has 250. Then again, if we held every company that claimed something in their advertising to be the absolute truth, advertising would be cut way, way down. Hmmm... might not be a bad thing, I wouldn't mind less commericals on TV.

Good job overall though, I like it!

Joe (joemagiera at ameritech dot net)
    joemagiera@ameritech.net

#38 7 years ago

seems like good data. thanks for all the work. Average prices are right around what I would ask / pay for my machines. (with a few exceptions due to condition, of course)

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from vster23:

Also default pinball machine name for the search option, its a pain to keep clicking the pinball machine name option in the dropdown and then typing the actual pinball name in the search box.

Why even have a choice for name vs. number in the search? Make it so if the user types either it will be searched in both anyways.

#40 7 years ago

several fixes and updates made today. The search now defaults to game name, and search results will default to most recent first (as requested).

I have a lot more data to enter, but it will take some time as I do the data entry myself. The submission form bugs seem to be worked out, so if you tried to submit a sales record yesterday as mentioned above, please try again as it should work fine now.

Thanks for your patience as we get through these growing pains

#41 7 years ago

How about a way to add notes about existing sales? I see almost no notes filled out right now, but I'm sure people would be willing to add notes about machines they've seen (at the auctions or whatever) so you know if a $700 Theater of Magic was a total beater or a great deal.

Also, are non-working machines going to be included in this database? I see we have W/S auction data and some machines might be missing boards, not power on, etc.

#42 7 years ago

Nice site but can you maybe put the search on every page, in the top left? Just would be easier to use. Possibly make the header smaller (height adjusted to something the size of pinside would be nice) so that we dont have to scroll so much? Over all very nice site! Keep up the good work!

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

Looks good. A few simple usability suggestions... put the search box on top to avoid user scrolling to find it,

this. the search field should be at the TOP of the FIRST page, not at the very bottom of a wall of text buried in a link.

and also the logo on the homepage is ridiculously large. it takes up a ton of space and has zero functionality. should be like 50 pixels tall, max.

also, disable the extremely annoying "no right click" javascript you have on there. you're not effectively hiding anything since anyone who wants to can still click "view source" or get to the source about a million other ways if they want. are you REALLY that concerned about someone stealing your amazing site design?

a good rule of thumb is if you find yourself either reproducing or trying to defeat a feature that is built in to browsers, whatever you're doing is probably a bad idea.

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

this. the search field should be at the TOP of the FIRST page, not at the very bottom of a wall of text buried in a link.
    and also the logo on the homepage is ridiculously large. it takes up a ton of space and has zero functionality. should be like 50 pixels tall, max.
    also, disable the extremely annoying "no right click" javascript you have on there. you're not effectively hiding anything since anyone who wants to can still click "view source" or get to the source about a million other ways if they want. are you REALLY that concerned about someone stealing your amazing site design?

I was going to give css changes done via the chrome inspector but since I cant inspect element I have moved on. That no right click stuff was popular back in the day, not so much now...

#45 7 years ago

it's ironic because dude undoubtedly learned web design by right-clicking on websites.

#46 7 years ago

Congrats on the launch. I'll be checking your site often.

I agree with much of the constructive critique listed above. Definitely put the search box to the top of the main page — it's the most important part of the site.

#47 7 years ago

Great job!

Robert

#48 7 years ago

This is the least usable UI I've ever encountered on the web. The header image is wayyyy to big, the search function is at the bottom of the page, and you repeat a bunch of useless info in the middle on every page.

Oh, the search isn't effective, either. Try finding pinbot on that site.

And when you do search, if you don't click exactly on the caret on the left, you'd have no idea how to see sales results. This website needs a new design, stat.

Also, disabling right click? WTF.

#49 7 years ago

decent tool to get a generial idea of sorts-

thx

#50 7 years ago

Is sale price history worthless without listing the condition of the pin? Or are we assuming every pin listed is 'MINTY'?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 22.50
    Magazines/books
    Pinball Magazine
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Ramp-O-Matic
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 62.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 80.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Back Alley Creations
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 123.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Other
    YouBentMyWookie
    $ 4.00
    Playfield - Decals
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    € 10.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Creo Pinball
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside