Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by jo-jo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

article-2383895-1B1D8FDB000005DC-360_634x449.jpg
    P1280699.jpg
    P1280702.jpg
    P1280701.jpg
    P1280696.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

Has anyone else had problems with new pinball rubbers splitting as you put them on? It is only occurring with the wee small rubbers, size 23-6535, it's almost like the hole in the centre isn't wide enough. The diameter of the rubbers matches the ones removed, as per pic. I've flicked an e-mail to the company I purchased them from. Partner is even looking at drilling out the centres a bit before putting them on, but he shouldn't have to do this. Maybe a fault with the rubber? All the other rubbers in the kit have been fine so far. Just these smaller ones keep splitting (15 of them in the kit).

P1280696.jpgP1280696.jpg

#2 8 years ago

I've maybe run into one out of 50 through the years.

Those seem too tight.

LTG : )™

#3 8 years ago

I won't use white rubbers that have PL on them as they are crap. Try another vendor like Marco and make sure they are not sending you PL rubbers as they will sometimes substitute when they are out of their own.

#4 8 years ago

I have come to the conclusion that white rubber does not last long enough and makes a mess on the playfield (like dandruff).

#5 8 years ago

The more clay filler they add to the rubber, the crappier they become.

Always lube up the rubbers with spit before you impale them.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from jo-jo:

Has anyone else had problems with new pinball rubbers splitting as you put them on? It is only occurring with the wee small rubbers, size 23-6535, it's almost like the hole in the centre isn't wide enough. The diameter of the rubbers matches the ones removed, as per pic. I've flicked an e-mail to the company I purchased them from. Partner is even looking at drilling out the centres a bit before putting them on, but he shouldn't have to do this. Maybe a fault with the rubber? All the other rubbers in the kit have been fine so far. Just these smaller ones keep splitting (15 of them in the kit).

P1280696.jpg

.....................yes happening to me also, to the tune of about every 3rd one. Also seem to be getting alot of yellowish ones also. I don't buy from eBay and try to stick with what's recommended here. Might have to start going super ring rubber all over, wish it weren't so pricy.

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from tp:

.....................yes happening to me also, to the tune of about every 3rd one. Also seem to be getting alot of yellowish ones also. I don't buy from eBay and try to stick with what's recommended here. Might have to start going super ring rubber all over, wish it weren't so pricy.

Try Titans in your favorite colors.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

I have come to the conclusion that white rubber does not last long enough and makes a mess on the playfield (like dandruff).

PL rubbers will do that. Like I said they are crap. May be why people are going with this silicone trend. I threw any PL I had left in the trash. Marco's house brand marked PRW is far superior and gives me no problems at all.

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

PL rubbers will do that. Like I said they are crap. May be why people are going with this silicone trend. I threw any PL I had left in the trash. Marco's house brand is far superior and give me no problems at all.

The colors of Titans are a big deal for me as well. The white is boring to me. I like to have the rubber either blend in with the color scheme or provide accent color to the game.

#10 8 years ago

I stick with factory colors on my games but finding a quality rubber was trial and error. Ordering them from Pinballlife was the error.

#11 8 years ago

Thanks everyone for your advice! Just looked at the kit and the rubbers are a mix of USA and 'PL' type rubbers. Frustrating! I might have to purchase a set through Marco. The set I purchased was from a company in Australia. I have flicked them an e-mail asking for advice.. It's been too much hard work stripping this back to put dodgy rubbers on it. How do I find out what the factory colour is for TZ? Wondering if I should purchase a black set now instead? Have attached a pic of them splitting on metal posts after they are put on. Slingshot rubbers appear to be ok, but are stamped PL. And yes slight colour difference between USA and PL stamped rubbers.

P1280701.jpgP1280701.jpg

P1280702.jpgP1280702.jpg

P1280699.jpgP1280699.jpg

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from jo-jo:

How do I find out what the factory colour is for TZ?

TZ shipped with red flipper rings, white rubber rings. Black post sleeves.

#13 8 years ago

Thanks LTG =)

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from jo-jo:

I had the exact same problem with these small post rubbers. I tried lubing them with Nifti and it certainly made them slippery, but it does nothing to prevent them from splitting as they are too brittle.

I didn't have any problems with any of the other types either (flippers, slingshots, etc).

I thought maybe it was just a bad batch, but after seeing this thread I'll always check in advance to make sure I don't get them again.

#15 8 years ago

What are Titans?

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from jo-jo:

What are Titans?

https://www.titanpinball.com/ Titan competition silicone rings.

#17 8 years ago

same problem, I thought maybe I was doing something wrong

#18 8 years ago

For real white rubbers, I like PBR's quality and feel, but lately, I've switched to Titan.

#19 8 years ago

Hard to get good rubbers in Christchurch eh?

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Hard to get good rubbers in Christchuch eh?

I'm having a similar problem here in Melbourne........

article-2383895-1B1D8FDB000005DC-360_634x449.jpgarticle-2383895-1B1D8FDB000005DC-360_634x449.jpg

#21 8 years ago

Lukex... maybe your rubbers have expired? Mine are brand new!

#22 8 years ago

I love my Titan rubbers!

1 week later
    #23 8 years ago

Ended up spraying the smaller PL rubbers with a bit of Novus 1 spray prior to applying them, and this prevented them from splitting, so far they haven't split. When the PL branded rubbers were put on dry they split in front of your eyes under the stress. And ended up re-using some of the wee USA stamped rubbers by cleaning them in ultrasonic cleaner to replace the already split ones. So worked it out in the end. I think we'll use USA stamped type from now on if we can source them.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinball-rubbers-are-splitting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.