20230415_073957 (resized).jpg
20230415_071753 (resized).jpg
20230414_171603 (resized).jpg
20230414_175759 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220103_140954934 (resized).jpg
20190524_162105 (resized).jpg
20190524_162039 (resized).jpg
20190524_161419 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bingopodcast.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

669 posts in this topic match your search for posts by bingopodcast. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 9 years ago

Over the weekend, I've started a new podcast devoted to EM and bingo pinball.

It's located at foramusementonly.libsyn.com

I'm no expert, nor do I purport to be. I just love these older machines and don't really understand the hatred or indifference I see in folks my age or younger.

You can direct hate mail to [email protected]

I know there's lots of folks out there with more knowledge than me - I never played an EM on location - but I've fixed quite a few.

Here's the bad stuff about me - Edit - I do have a Facebook Page! facebook.com/foramusementonlypodcast - and a Twitter account bingopodcast -End of Edit - I'm very technically minded, so my stuff may be a little dry - sorry about that! I yam what I yam.

-Edit- I was able to submit it to iTunes, so you Apple folks can find me there, too.

Now the good: I've already recorded and edited three episodes. I have another planned for this evening.

I have already discussed early bingos, some technical challenges, and magic screen games briefly. I'll be going over different odds colors this evening.

I plan to discuss any and all EM games, including ball bowlers, puck bowlers, mannikin games, very early pinball (prewar), woodrails, etc.

I may also delve into later games if the mood strikes (or I'm angry that a repair took too long), but that won't be the main focus.

I hope to have interviews with folks in the community - if anyone's interested, let me know.

I'll have a mystery guest here in the next episode or two.

Forgive the default website, I'd rather pour time into recording episodes than beef that up for now. The feed is available at http://foramusementonly.libsyn.com/rss - you can already find it in Pocket Casts, Stitcher Radio and on Facebook.

Thanks for looking!
-Nick

#4 9 years ago

Submitted to iTunes, so theoretically it will appear on Apple stuff shortly.

#5 9 years ago

I'm now on Stitcher as well, search For Amusement Only if streaming's your thing.

#7 9 years ago

Thanks everyone - just waiting on Apple. I guess I'm putting out too much content for them to keep up! I've heard it can take up to three weeks. Perhaps I announced a little too soon. I'll update the thread once I hear back from Apple.

Now if I would quit making mistakes about years games were produced, I'd be good (I've already had one correction 5 episodes in), and realized this morning that I made an error in my correction - bah!

One thing to note about my episodes, they are not a standard length. If my topic only warrants 5 minutes, the show will be 5 minutes. If it's something in-depth, it'll be as long as I feel it needs to be to get the point across. I plan on making as many episodes as possible, as it is easier to edit shorter episodes, and I can stick to a single topic easier.

Bingos are a very large topic, especially once you get into the mechanics, and even with my outlines, I feel that it can be too easy to overwhelm with info.

Short 'n sweet!

Oh, and I had my mystery guest on last night!

#13 9 years ago

@jeffc, that's pretty much it (as far as I know)! That's part of why I wanted to do this.

@blackjacker - it's recorded on them, but distributed via the magic of the Internet.

#14 9 years ago

So, I've made a Facebook page - ideally I'll be engaging with folks there, here, RGP, the website, email, etc.

https://www.facebook.com/foramusementonlypodcast

Enjoy! Episode 16 just uploaded tonight.

#15 9 years ago

Episode 17 just uploaded. Basic schematic reading - discussing symbols and their meanings, and what the components do in a circuit.

#16 9 years ago

Episode 18 - using schematics to troubleshoot scoring and lamp problems on a Gottlieb wedgehead.

#18 9 years ago

Thank you Ryan!

Today's announcement:
Episode 19 - Steve Smith Interview 3/29/15

I talk to Steve Smith and give him wide berth to tell his view of how we met and how I fell in love with bingos. He discusses various topics, including differences between flipper vs. bingo pinball, playing on location as a kid, and how he got his first pinball.

Forgive sound quality - I was sitting too far from the mic and didn't notice.

2 hours! Player's perspective! Great stories about playing bingos on location!

#19 9 years ago

Episode 20 - Guest Pop-A-Card 3/30/15

I talk with Ava about Pop-A-Card, the first game I purchased, and the machine that brought me my love of repairing and playing Gottlieb machines (all eras) and EMs and Bingos!

#21 9 years ago

Excellent! Please let me know if I can be of any help! I'm happy to recommend games that I've played and enjoyed.

Games come in a few different varieties - for 25 holes:

1) single three or six card (no moving numbers)
2) Magic lines (move numbers horizontally [or vertically in some instances])
3) Hole hoppers (allow you to reposition the top row of balls)
4) Magic squares (typically moving the 4 corner numbers in a circle)
5) Magic screen (moving the entire card from in-line scoring to section scoring)
6) Magic curtain (smaller bingo card to start, expanding as you earn the feature)

20 holes:

1) Mystic Lines (moving columns of numbers)
2) "Ring" games - neat idea, but hard to find. Big wheel has great artwork. Never played one, but look like they'd be pretty difficult to win.

-Nick

#24 9 years ago

shakethatmachine - Yep, I'll probably get there one day. I agree. It's not like the pins went away when we went to the EM era. I have a great interest in purely mechanical as well.

Everything builds on prior work in pinball especially.

Chuck_Sherman: The best thing I can say about a bingo is what I said in episode 19 - every ball is different - which makes every game unique.

ArcadeTechNerd: It's as you say. And the best part, the feeling when you move from working on a bingo to working on another EM - fewer moving parts to clean.

#25 9 years ago

Episode 21 - Woodrails and Flippers

Woodrails gave us some of the playfield toys and mechanical devices that we still use today.

Tech talk: flippers - how to disassemble and rebuild. These same basic instructions apply to anything with an EOS switch (basically machines up to 1990ish).

#27 9 years ago

Thanks again Ryan! I'm going to keep up the pace as long as possible.

#28 9 years ago

Episode 22 - 90's DMDs

I talk about a toy invented in the woodrail era that is still in use today - the Pop Bumper.
Tech: Changing pop bumpers, and how to increase pop safely (by cleaning).

#30 9 years ago

Come out to York, PA if you can in Oct! Jeffrey Lawton, the bingo king (the man who wrote the book) brings two each year. Usually two different types of players!

Plus there's a fantastic woodrail row.

#31 9 years ago

Episode 23 releases tonight. Bingos and the law.

Why were backglasses altered? Why are serial numbers different between cab and playfield? Why were Bingos persecuted?

Tech: DIY backglass reproduction

#32 9 years ago

Episode 24 - Relays and Sequences

How do EMs determine the game state?

Tech: How to properly adjust a relay, and when to hit it with a hammer (really)!

#33 9 years ago

Episode 25 - What to look for in a bingo

How to determine if you're getting a good deal (most of the time, you are with a bingo - very few problems cannot be solved with a bit of time and elbow grease)

#35 9 years ago

Publishing tonight:

Episode 26 - Drop Targets

How to disassemble and clean a drop target bank, and how drop targets are typically constructed.

Not mentioned: how much I dislike solid state Williams drop targets.

#36 9 years ago

And Ryan, you're right. Mrs. Baldridge is only happy when the games are less than $50. However, I know a value when I see one. Bingos have staying power due to the variety of gameplay mechanics and challenging nudging action (and the thinkin').

I've got some good stuff coming up, especially for you bingo lovers, new and old!

#38 9 years ago

Ryan, of course! She's just not been interested in coming on yet. I'll continue to try. She does play pinball. Her favorite game (that I own) is the 1967 Chicago coin twinky (she has the high score). She doesn't play the bingos, but both of my kids do!

#40 9 years ago

Episode 27 drops tonight - Transporting a Game.

Not the most exciting topic, but practical!

-Nick

#41 9 years ago

Episode 28 - Bingo Scoring Problems

The first few things to check if your game is not awarding replays correctly.

This circuit is one of the more complex in the machine, so breaking it down into bite-sized chunks is important.

#42 9 years ago

Episode 29 - Timing is Everything

Bingos require specific timing in order to determine where in the game you are currently.

The timing circuit is not very complex, but it can be confusing when looking at the physical devices, especially when you expect your game to load 5 balls one at a time, and it loads all 5 at once, or loads one and stops or a myriad of other problems. Help for all of the above in this episode.

#43 9 years ago

Episode 30 - High Voltage

Don't touch plastic-coated wires while the machine is on. 120V - zap!

Long story short: be careful - there's a reason I turn the machine off to make adjustments.

#45 9 years ago

Thanks Ryan!

Episode 31 - The Gentlemanly Art of Nudging

A description of how to make a number that you need (shake and pull). It is an art and requires lots of practice. However, playing a bingo, getting a feel for the tilt, nudging an EM to drive the ball to the 2" flippers... these will make you a much better player overall.

#46 9 years ago

Episode 32 - 1930s Innovation

Ramps, Kickouts, Bumpers, Lighted Scoring, DC-driven coils, multi-level playfields - all were children of the 30s.

#47 9 years ago

Made a pickup today. It works! Two minor problems and needs a cleaning and a shop job, but it functions! Played a bunch when we got it in.

I recorded a podcast with my friend Clark who helped me pick it up.

Look for that episode soon.

-Nick
IMG_20150412_203032.jpgIMG_20150412_203032.jpg
IMG_20150412_203000.jpgIMG_20150412_203000.jpg
IMG_20150412_203011.jpgIMG_20150412_203011.jpg

#50 9 years ago

Muggle: Sounds good - call me up!

Ryan: Thank you - it's coming along nicely. Won't take much to make 'er shine.
-Nick

#51 9 years ago

Episode 33 - Phil Hooper Interview 4/5/15

I interview Phil Hooper, creator and maintainer of http://bingo.cdyn.com, the Internet's source for technical information on Bally and United bingos.

Phil conducted this interview on 4/5/15 via email.

#53 9 years ago

Episode 34 - Gigi and EM Adjustments

Another new pickup! Gigi described - gameplay to follow after I shop it.

I describe how to perform adjustments on an EM game.

#54 9 years ago

Episode 35 - Clark Fraley Interview 4/12/15

I talk with my friend Clark Fraley, who is a technician for an operator. Clark has been with me on a couple of pick ups now, and is a great guy to boot.

Interviewed after we moved my new bingo and played for a bit. I hope to have him on again soon(ish) to discuss his upcoming acquisition!

#58 9 years ago

Episode 36 - Ticker Tape Gameplay and Gigi Status

Description of the gameplay of the 6 card Bally Ticker Tape and the current status of my project Gigi.

#59 9 years ago

Episode 37 - TILT

Bzzzzt! What makes the machine tilt? There are many tilt innovations that occurred after the 30s (when the plumb bob tilt mechanism was invented), and several interesting tilt innovations in Bally's bingos.

#60 9 years ago

Episode 38 - Ball Arch Cleaning

Cleaning the ball arch on a metal rail EM is important, though no one but you will ever know! Change those hidden arch bulbs!

#61 9 years ago

Episode 39 - Arcing

Arcing in a pinball machine - sometimes unavoidable, almost always bad. Why it happens, how to stop it, and how to look for it.

Also: Our first listener question answered on the air!

#62 9 years ago

Episode 40 - Ticker Tape Hacks

... and how I reversed them. Also hear about the hack that wasn't a hack.

#63 9 years ago

Episode 41 - For Whom the Bell Tolls

Older pinball machines used bells as the only sound (aside from the coils and noises of the machine).

#65 9 years ago

I just started watching Daredevil on Netflix. In the second or third episode, there's a Stern Mustang, which plays chime sounds every time it is in the frame, regardless of if it has any players on it.

I've never heard chime attract sounds before...

#66 9 years ago

Episode 42 - Ding Ding Ding

Chime boxes in EMs - everyone has an opinion and a preference, and I'm no exception.

#67 9 years ago

Episode 43 - Interview with James Willing 4/21/15

Interview with the EM Dungeonmaster himself, James Willing from the Spooky Pinball Podcast.

#68 9 years ago

Episode 44 - 1937 World Series by Rockola

Rockola was a jukebox manufacturer, and got into pin games (along with every other company, it seems) in the 1930s. During this decade, they produced one of the most beautiful, elegant games ever created.

Check out the video I reference here:

#70 9 years ago

Episode 45 - Gigi Gameplay

My partially parted out Gigi project is now working! I detail the gameplay and fun with Gottlieb coin circuits (they hate me).

#72 9 years ago

Episode 46 - Interview with Vic Camp - 4/25/15

Vic Camp (the passionate bingo pinball player and collector) sits down with me to talk about his time playing bingos on route in New Jersey.

#74 9 years ago

Thank you Angus - the encouragement certainly helps!
Bingos are fantastic games, as I hope you're hearing.

#77 9 years ago

Thanks jeffpm! Episode 47 drops in a few minutes.

#78 9 years ago

Episode 47 - A Listener Question

A listener asks a multi-part question regarding purchasing advice for a new bingo.

Remember in the Vic Camp interview, Episode 46, that Vic is offering a free bingo project at the Allentown show. It is missing a couple of minor parts (some bulbs, a button, and a couple of coils). It's a Night Club http://bingo.cdyn.com/machines/bally/night_club/

There will also be a Bikini on sale in the flea market, which is a desirable magic screen game. I have not seen pictures, but am told that it is 90% working (I would expect something simple like random tilts or a feature doesn't work properly all of the time, but I don't know for sure). Seller is a nice guy.

I won't be there this year, but hope that there are some bingos that find new homes.

#79 9 years ago

Episode 48 - EM Backglass Preservation

If this one sounds like it stops abruptly, that's because I'm sleepy, and it's a two-parter! How to care for your backglass if it has deteriorated (flaking, missing art, etc).

#80 8 years ago

Episode 49 - Bingo Backglass Preservation

Pt. 2 after last episode's cliffhanger.  I discuss issues relating to Bally bingo backglass deterioration.

#81 8 years ago

Keeping with the theme of screwing up:

Episode 50 - Some of My Mistakes

I have done some stupid things since I've been refurbing games. Here are some of my favorite stories about how dumb I am.

I meant to release this tomorrow, but can't read a calendar, obviously.

#86 8 years ago

Thanks everyone! Glad you're all enjoying it. Reminder: no episode tonight as you got a double dose last night.

#87 8 years ago

Episode 51 - Mouse Leavings

Nothing beats the feeling of picking up a new project! I tend to get some pretty rough games (cause I'm cheap). The furry or fecal surprises inside must be removed - even under the transformer board!

#89 8 years ago

Thanks btw75.

Tonight's episode is a short 'un.

Episode 52 - Flame Broiled Glass

Using tempered glass for your playfield is important. Not just for your own safety, but that of your guests as well.

#90 8 years ago

Episode 53 - Waterlogged Cabinetry

How to fix some basic problems with cabinets and another thing which could be dangerous if not corrected.

Also: an interesting bingo at Allentown!

I have another super interview scheduled for tomorrow morning. I will hopefully be releasing tomorrow night.

In other news, Ticker Tape continues to kick my butt. I haven't won more than 44 replays on it thus far! Gameplay is so quick and easy, I am really enjoying it (just wish I was good enough to win).

#91 8 years ago

Episode 54 - Tandem Interview - Jeffrey Lawton and Steve Smith 5-3-15

Interview with Jeffrey Lawton, the pre-eminent bingo technician, and has been working on bingos for many many years. He is also the man that wrote the books - Bally Bingo Pinball Machines, and The Bingo Pinball War (Bally vs. United). You can find these books on Amazon, or buy directly from Jeffrey at the York show!

Steve Smith and I sat down and talked about bingos and working on games, and did a bit of storytelling.

#94 8 years ago

Thank you Vic! I'm looking in forward to talking to everyone again! Hope you had a great time at Allentown and Night-Club found a great home.

Did you play that oddball Single Coin?

#96 8 years ago

That's a shame Vic, but you never know, I may make my way up North...

#97 8 years ago

Episode 55 - Cabinet Repaints

My process for repainting cabinets, stolen shamelessly from Steve Smith. The correct amount of overspray, webbing and spatter are key.

#99 8 years ago

Episode 56 - Cleaning a Cabinet

You've bought the stinky filthy game of your dreams. Now what? Follow the advice of episode 51, and then do this. Your olfactory sense will thank you.

Elbow grease is the best kind of grease!

This is the last in my series of quick cabinet rejuvenation episodes.

#100 8 years ago

Episode 57 - Rectifiers

Later EMs from all the major manufacturers used DC power to drive certain coils.

Did you know that Genco games from the late 30s also did the same? And earlier games can be modified to use DC power, after transforming what comes from the wall.

This episode is all about the technology that allows this to happen.

#101 8 years ago

Episode 58 - Roller Derby

Gameplay and details on Bally's early 60's magic screen game Roller Derby.

#102 8 years ago

Episode 59 - Double-Up

Full gameplay details on Double-Up - a 20 hole bingo.

#103 8 years ago

Episode 60 - Big Wheel and Magic Ring

The two most interesting designs in the Bally bingo universe - Big Wheel and Magic Ring! A circular 'card' layout on the backglass that I think might have to be played to fully understand.

#104 8 years ago

Episode 61 - The First Bingo - United's ABC

United was the first on the scene with a bingo machine - one month before Bally. Featuring a unique design only seen once more in this history of bingos, United's ABC was more random chance than something that allowed for real bingo gameplay.

#105 8 years ago

Episode 62 - Tech - Search Disc Woes

Well, back to tech - I discuss a problem I encountered tonight with scoring on cards 4-5-6 on Ticker Tape, and recount various ways that the search disc can come out of adjustment and how to correct, as well as what to look for when trying to find a searching problem.

In other news, I started a twitter account for the podcast. If you can't wait for the 24 hours it takes me to record and upload a podcast, feel free to contact me there for more info or any other questions. @bingopodcast

#107 8 years ago

Thanks s1500, getting there anyway.

Episode 63 - More Search Disc Woes

More issues fixed, and more appear with my Ticker Tape search disc. Search disc and scoring problems are some of the most difficult to troubleshoot and correct on a bingo.

#108 8 years ago

Episode 64 - Son of Search Disc

My final episode on search discs (for now!) - I also discuss the EM world championships at Clay's VFW, the Isley Brewing Company Triple Strike tournament here locally, and give a more lengthy explanation of the search disc, its function in a bingo and what is wrong with my game.

#109 8 years ago

Episode 65 - Fortune Tellers

Staples of EM arcades - made as early as the turn of the 1900s up through the 60s, these (mostly) beautiful machines are easy to understand, and fun to watch.

#110 8 years ago

Episode 66 - EM Arcade Games

EM arcade games offered a level of physicality and beautiful artwork that is no longer seen. Uprights, simulators, slots, trade stimulators, and more are discussed (in brief).

#111 8 years ago

Episode 67 - Bowling Games

Ball Bowlers (contact and non), shuffle bowlers, and mannikin bowlers are all unique games. In this episode I go over some of the differences between the various types of bowlers.

#112 8 years ago

Episode 68 - Roto Targets

Busy weekend! Had a couple nights of pinball along with my friend Pingeek stopping by to film a bit about the Bounty. Check out the video at

Tonight's topic is Roto-Targets - my favorite toy from the woodrail era, that carried through the metal rail era and into some early solid states.

#113 8 years ago

Episode 69 - Vari-Targets

Gottlieb's Vari-Targets were, as per typical Gottlieb fashion, simple yet sophisticated mechanisms that allowed for a new dimension of play. Hitting the target with differing speed/accuracy provided different point values, and would send the ball flying back to your flipper.

#115 8 years ago

Sadly, that'll have to wait until Steve comes over, or if I can convince my wife to film. We'll see. I need to talk to a couple buddies of mine about gameplay streaming setups.

If you're watching me actually play, be prepared to spend a lot of it watching me: Stop. Think. Plunge. Nudge. Curse. Repeat.

Throw some nickels in for flavor!

I'll disable my multi-play relay before I film, though.

#116 8 years ago

Episode 70 - Interview with Sophia Baldridge 5-19-15

Mini episode! Interview with my shy younger daughter.

#118 8 years ago

Episode 71 - Sun Valley

One of my favorite bingos - Sun Valley - this 1957 beauty has great artwork, and is jam-packed with features.

Magic Squares and a single Magic Line row allow the player to move every number on the backglass.
The challenge is in getting those features lit, along with a time tree that actually allows you to reposition your numbers well, without tilting!

I love everything about Sun Valley - the knocker that goes off as you get awarded features and scores is particularly gratifying.

#120 8 years ago

Well, if you can call them reviews. I'd love to touch on some of the ones that really fascinate me and some of the ones I've played or worked on.

As these are unusual machines, I think it is a good idea to talk a bit about what might make someone want to step up and play them. I suppose eventually I'll get to every machine, but not for a long time.

#121 8 years ago

Episode 72 - Interview with Dennis Dodel 5/21/15

Dennis Dodel is an influential bingo and flipper pinball collector that has many notable pinball credentials. He started the Pinball Trader newsletter, which became/inspired the Pingame Journal, and continues to contribute to various pinball publications. If you've ever been to ipdb.org, you've most likely seen a photo credited to Dennis.

Dennis answered my questions via email on 5/21/15.

#124 8 years ago

Episode 73 - Removing a Unit

Another deep tech episode - how to remove the unit (could be anything, score reel, search disc [I know, I know], bonus stepper) and safely reattach. Also a cautionary tale about fuse blocks (I didn't do it, but I was there and fixed it)!

#125 8 years ago

Episode 74 - Differences Between United and Bally Bingos

Bally and United were both manufacturing bingo pinballs in the 1950s. Since starting this show, I've been increasingly interested in the differences between the two manufacturer's machines. United's mechanics and circuits are engineered differently than the Bally ones, and I like 'em both!

#126 8 years ago

Thanks Vic and Ryan (belatedly), I was lucky to catch Dennis and explain the purpose of the podcast, and he was nice enough to answer my questions. Very nice guy and I hope to speak with him more in the future! Ryan, hopefully I'll get other folks to discuss payouts in their haunts in the future.

For tonight,

Episode 75 - Ball Gate Switches

The ball gate switch is a very important switch, indeed! It tells the bingo with a time tree that it should throw a trip relay based on the position of the timer unit. Without the trips tripping, the timer will no longer advance, and you will have crazy gameplay issues, including issues with registering replays, locking you out of various timetree-driven features, etc.

#128 8 years ago

Great 5 cent word, Ryan - take your winnings and play a bingo.

Episode 76 - Testing Scoring in a Bingo

When you have a scoring problem in a bingo, testing can be a pain, if you don't know this simple trick. Dropping all the balls, and shooting a new winning combination, even with the glass off, takes forever. Pressing a couple of coil plungers and a relay plate are all that's needed to re-test.

#130 8 years ago

Episode 77 - Hubris and Bingos

...my hubris, in particular. I finally found and fixed the problem with my card #5 in Ticker Tape. It wasn't at all where I was looking, but I (re)learned a valuable lesson. I should actually read the manual/schematic if the game contains units I've never encountered.

Also, Australian listeners - a call to action! Please contact me about the bingo scene (if there was one) in Australia. I know absolutely nothing, and would love to be educated.

[email protected]

#131 8 years ago

Also, thank you FirePower. I'm always happy to hear that folks are enjoying it!

#132 8 years ago

Episode 78 - Backdoor Bingo Oddity

Jim Willing from the Spooky Pinball Podcast's EM Dungeon segment (spookypinball.com/podcast) emails with a question on an odd back door switch on a bingo. I give him the wrong answer and he graciously provides the correct one.

To be fair, I was nowhere near a manual, schematic or bingo when he asked, but I tried!

#134 8 years ago

Muggle, I might be... I like the art on the starlet. Send me details.

...and I thought I saw something or other about Paradise, congrats! What's filling the space? Need me to store a game there?

#135 8 years ago

Episode 79 - Lighted Scoring

Early pinball machines from the 1930s, all the way through the 40s and into the 50s, used a method of keeping score that was unique to the era. "Lighted scoring" was a way for the game to both show you your score and to keep track of your current score for the purpose of awarding replays. I describe how lighted scoring is controlled, and the similarity between it and its successor, the score reel.

#136 8 years ago

Episode 80 - Score Reel History

What is a score reel? Score reels were first used in the 1950s, and continued to be used through most of the 1970s.

#138 8 years ago

Haha, wow, thanks Ryan. I could've sworn I clicked post last night... and I was sleepy!

But the entire score reel series is recorded (in rough form). Woo!

-Nick

#139 8 years ago

Episode 82 - Score Reel Construction

Episode 3 in a series on score reels. What are the pieces that actually hold a score reel together? How do they work together and change state?

#140 8 years ago

Episode 83 - Score Reel Differences

Some of the differences between various makes and models of score reels. Gottlieb Decagons in various formations, and other oddities. Episode 4 in a series on score reels.

#141 8 years ago

Episode 84 - Score Reel PCBs

EM games have PCBs to help determine the state of your score. This aids in match and replay award. A wiper is dragged along the PCB at intervals, and the conducting trace is the lucky winner! Episode 5 in a series on score reels.

#142 8 years ago

Episode 85 - Score Reel Care and Feeding

How to clean and care for your score reels. Note that this is only my method, but by following these steps, I've never had an issue! Last in my series of 6 episodes on score reels.

#143 8 years ago

Episode 86 - Coin Slides

How did the early machines take money? Gravity-fed coin slots were not always the way. Coin slides would both turn a game on, and take your money. In this episode I discuss some of the weak points of coin slides, and how to correct.

#144 8 years ago

Episode 87 - Interview with Taylor Reese 5-31-15

Taylor Reese, a local collector and one of the hosts of the One and Done Pinball Podcast comes on and I try to convince him to pick up an EM flipper game.

Taylor provides a service called Reese Rails, where he manufactures new oak playfield rails. You can find him on Facebook under Reese Rails, or message him on pinside.com at TaylorVA to get the conversation started. You can see some of his excellent work on the Oak Replacement Playfield Rails thread on pinside at https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/oak-replacement-playfield-rails-wh2o-and-taf-ready-to-ship-or-york

He also is very active on Instagram as @richmondpinball, and also is one of the members/league runners of the River City Flippers. You can see league happenings and other stuff going on in pinball in my town at rvapinball.org

You can also hear his thoughts on Wizard of Oz on the latest Pinball Podcast, episode 56 - http://www.thepinballpodcast.com/2015/05/26/episode-56-ding-dongle-the-wizard-is-dead

#146 8 years ago

Thanks Taylor, very happy to have you on, and I can say the same thing about you. Thank you for sharing your love of pinball with the community (especially here in Richmond) and for opening your doors for local folks and for charitable tournaments.

#147 8 years ago

Episode 88 - Interview with Terry DeZwarte 6-1-15

Terry DeZwarte, of www.pinballlife.com and dayonepinball.com fame, has recreated the 1934 Pacific Amusement Co (PAMCO) game Contact Master as Scoregasm Master.

Scoregasm Master retains the gameplay and features of the 1930s game, but adds beautiful new artwork, a great cabinet (with wooden legs!), and some minor solid state changes.

It is great to see the great gameplay of the 30s pingames return with Scoregasm Master.

Unfortunately, the first 15(ish) minutes of the audio are a little rough. Stick with it, good stuff! We discuss some of the differences between this modern game and the original, the return of the pedastal-style tilt mechanism, reliability, scoring techniques and the open source nature of the game.

If you would like to purchase a Scoregasm Master, contact [email protected] - these are an incredibly limited quantity, and likely no more will be made!

For those attending the Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown next week, there will be a Scoregasm Master at the show - check it out!

#149 8 years ago

Episode 89 - Interview with Phil Bogema

Phil Bogema is a very good player from Colorado and Maryland.

He was able to max out credits on machines on route (900 credits) very quickly.

Phil has a very analytical mind, and it was fascinating to talk to him about his playing days and play style.

He also was active on the Old Binger forums before they went down, and has restored many bingos.

His stories on Danny's site (danny.cdyn.com) are very interesting, and recommended reading.

One of my favorite is at: http://danny.cdyn.com/maryland.htm

#150 8 years ago

Whew! Four interviews last week (one more left to post, coming in the next few days). Some are even audible!

I heard today that there may be a bingo at the new Roanoke pinball museum... very cool! Vic, if you're reading this, it's a Dixieland.

#153 8 years ago

Vic, yes I am enjoying this as well. I have reached out to the overseas guys on the BBiB forums, but no response. If you are still in touch with anyone, send 'em my way.

I know of a couple of guys and will be trying to contact them as well. All in due time.

The response thus far to the bingo side of things has been really nice, and I've appreciated everyone's support (Vic, Phil, Jeffrey, Steve, Jim, Dennis and everyone I've talked to on or off the air).

Taylor, we will make this happen. I was excited to hear about a Roanoke museum opening up, and heard about the Dixieland yesterday, which just fueled my excitement even more.

-Nick

#155 8 years ago

Danny, I would love to talk to you! I will send you a message here soon - let's chat!

I've been reading your site for years. Thank you for compiling the player stories and interesting happenings over the years.

-Nick

#156 8 years ago

Episode 90 - The Super Card

The super card was an additional feature on bingo games with a single card. It allowed you to shoot for a smaller 3x3 grid of numbers instead of the normal 5x5 grid. The super card granted you 4-in-line scores instead of the normal 3-in-line for 3 in a row, so worth shooting for if it was lit.

#157 8 years ago

Episode 91 - The Reflex

The Reflex Unit is shrouded in secrecy in bingos and horse racing games. It acts as an auto-portioning circuit. When you win on a bingo, it steps up, preventing the machine from granting you awards quickly. Conversely, when you press the button to play off credits or put in money, the machine steps down.

The connection between the hit Duran Duran song and this unit is also explained.

#158 8 years ago

Episode 92 - Bowling Game Scoring with James Willing

James Willing of the Spooky Pinball Podcast's EM Dungeon segment (http://spookypinball.com/podcast) comes on to fill in my knowledge gaps on bowling games and their special modes and features, including ball bowlers and shuffle / puck bowlers.

James put up a photo of the United Skippy machine's glass on the EM Dungeon Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/emdungeon), which I have reshared on my Facebook as well. https://www.facebook.com/foramusementonlypodcast

#159 8 years ago

Episode 93 - Bally Crosswords

In 1955, Bally experimented with their payout game formula, making an attractive and innovative game called "Crosswords".
Crosswords is an interesting game - you put in coins to light additional puzzles on the backglass (up to four), then play your game - if you spell a word (max of four letters), you win replays. You earn a multiplier-style reward if you also land a ball in one of two specially marked star holes.
It is a very attractive and interesting game, and looks like a lot of fun to play.

#160 8 years ago

Episode 94 - EM Rifle Games - Smoke and Mirrors

Most of the big amusement manufacturers made EM rifle games, some early examples with lighted scoring, and most with score reels.

These games are very interesting in the way they present the targets to the player vs. what is actually happening inside the game.

Adjustments, game mechanics and cabinet style are discussed.

#161 8 years ago

Episode 95 - Gottlieb Watch My Line

Gottlieb was famously against payout games, however in 1951, they produced a bingo style game with a throwback playfield.

There are several interesting and unusual features in this game, which are detailed within!

#162 8 years ago

Episode 96 - Magic Pockets

Magic Pockets are a unique under playfield mechanism, only used on two Bally Bingos in 1955 - Gayety and Gay Time. These bingos allowed you to reposition balls in the top row of the bingo playfield (numbers 1-7).

If this wasn't enough, these machines also had the magic lines feature that allowed you to reposition numbers on the backglass. This allowed for the ability to make some great winning combinations.

#164 8 years ago

Some of them did! Photo sensors worked kinda similar to optos in some games. A lot of shooting gallery games used that kind of sensor.

#165 8 years ago

Episode 97 - Trade Stimulators

Trade Stimulators were small countertop amusement devices - typically modeled after slot machines.

These games would vend something similar to a gumball or other small trinket - to skirt gambling laws. The gameplay was typically gambling. If the slot came up a winner, you would notify the bar owner or shopkeep and win a free beer or other prize, or in some cases, a payout.

For amusement only, indeed!

#167 8 years ago

Thanks Vic, what an excellent machine. Hope to add one to my collection some day!

#168 8 years ago

Episode 98 - EM and Mechanical Slot Machines

EM and purely mechanical slot machines are very interesting creatures, mostly due to the way the mechanisms work together.
I am highly impressed with anything that is purely mechanical, though some of the EM machines have unusual or captivating features.
For this episode, I focus on two manufacturers, Bally and Mills.

#169 8 years ago

Sorry for the delay, brought a machine back from the dead tonight for a customer. Expect to hear all about it soon.

For tonight, Episode 99 - the Roto Feature

The roto feature enabled the player to spin the innermost circle of numbers on a bingo card. This was only used by United, and used on three games between 1955 and 1956, never to be seen again.

Episode 100 tomorrow, check the website for something great.

#171 8 years ago

Episode 100 - Interview with Ryan Claytor 5-25-15

Ryan Claytor, pinball illustrator extraordinaire comes on to talk about his EM resurrection project - a two player Williams called Swinger. Those who may be afraid of working on an EM should listen to this episode, as Ryan had never worked on an EM before this project.

Also: thanks to Ryan, we now have T-Shirts! See below!

I'm incredibly excited and honored to have worked with Ryan.

Ryan's Website: http://www.elephanteater.com/
Ryan's Swinger Restore: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-swinger-restoration-and-eventual-retheme

#172 8 years ago

And also: T-Shirts! They're available on our website http://foramusementonly.libsyn.com/t-shirts

Domestic and International shipping available, youth, ladies and normal sizes up to XS- 3XL

Note that this initial run will end on July 2nd to get these printed, so get 'em while they're hot.

The current price is 10% off, and will go up on July 2nd for the second run.

forAmusementOnly.jpgforAmusementOnly.jpg

#175 8 years ago

Thank you Vic! Hope we are able to chat on the air again soon!

Episode 101 - Ball Troughs

Bally Bingo ball troughs are some of the best designed pinball mechanics ever produced. Working on a bingo, then switching to a modern solid state with trough issues always irks me.

Bingo ball troughs are bulletproof and another marvel of engineering.

#177 8 years ago

Thank you for picking up my slack, Ryan! Looks like another bad switch to replace (in my mouse).

#178 8 years ago

Happy Father's Day to all you Dads out there.

Tonight's episode - Episode 103 - 1975 Williams Satin Doll

I worked on a Satin Doll the other day, which is a 2 player EM, built in 1975.

I've never played one previously, and had never thought much of the layout. Once I saw the way the ball interacted with the various elements, I was sold. What a fun game!

A lesson that appearances can be deceiving!

#180 8 years ago

I agree, Vic! Robert is a cool guy, and I hope to talk to him again as he gets them going.
I hope the remaining machines make their way out to be repaired or restored as well.

#182 8 years ago

Thanks Muggle - you're always welcome to come and play it!
I'm gonna tell the story of the coil burner here soon, I think.

For tonight, though:
Episode 104 - 1947 Exhibit Treasure Chest

1947 was an interesting year for innovation in pinball. America was out of World War II, manufacturing was brought back to bear on amusement devices.

Exhibit came out with an interesting game called Treasure Chest, which contained a player-controlled magnet! This used a flipper button on the side of the cab to turn the magnet off an on to (potentially) achieve higher scores.

Years and years before such magnets would make a resurgence in solid state games in the 80s, Exhibit put one at the bottom middle of the playfield.

Interesting artwork, good use of the theme (dive down and back with the treasure to score up to 30 replays!), and of course, the magnet make this a really neat game.

#183 8 years ago

Episode 105 - 1947 Chicago Coin Gold Ball

Here's an interesting game: Chicago Coin, a manufacturer with a terrible reputation (that I have not been able to fathom), created this game that automatically sensed a special 'golden ball' for double scoring.

This is fascinating for a couple of reasons:

1) There are no special mechanisms that I can see to sense the gold ball from the IPDB photos - it must use magnets or something similar.

2) It used a credit projection unit, which, though common for the time in Gottlieb games, was unusual to find in other games - especially as rigid and sturdy as this one.

The game has gorgeous Roy Parker artwork as well.

#185 8 years ago

Vic, you've got eagle eyes, my man! I noticed that as well, but went with the info on the billboard ad. I don't see an adjustment for number of replays awarded on fathom completion, but I would wager that there is one. There are a few unlabeled (from the IPDB angle) adjustments that likely control replay frequency.

Also, the instruction card was worn away on that critical info, but it looks like it was set to 7 or 10 replays.

Most likely scenario is that the 30 number is comprised of winning all_ of the goals on the machine in the same round. If you examine the apron, you'll see that you can win anywhere from 1-7(?) replays by completing goals that were hidden by the operator sticker. That adds up to 28, so that's pretty close. Between that and the ad writer in Billboard possibly having incorrect information, or just rounding for convenience, we get 30.

The example on IPDB may have been set to novelty mode by the operator, which would have done away with replay award altogether. It is set to replay in the pics.

It's also likely that the designers realized that completing all of the goals on the machine to award those replays was not possible in 5 balls, thus the mechanical limit on the replay counter.

#186 8 years ago

Episode 106 - Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown Report and Feedback

Phil Bogema attended the Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown earlier this month, and he reports on some of the games he played and enjoyed, and the overall EM availability.

He also responded to my show on slot machines a few days after that, and I've taken the liberty of posting both anecdotes here.

Vic Camp also posted a correction about my episode on Exhibit's Treasure Chest.

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

#187 8 years ago

I've also posted the backglass files for my '47 Exhibit Mystery and '37 Genco Junior as promised to a listener. They are available on my site at http://foramusementonly.libsyn.com/1947-exhibit-mystery-and-1937-genco-junior-translite-files

They may not have been the final files that were sent to the printer, but they were pretty close. Forgive any issues with them, I'm not an artist, and had to recreate large portions of the artwork manually in a short period of time. Not perfect, but workable!

You need a special program to open/edit the files. If anyone needs the files for their game, and would prefer a PDF export to get it printed, just let me know. These source files will allow you to edit very easily, however, if desired.

#189 8 years ago

Thank you Mk1Mod0, I've really enjoyed seeing your acrylic Super Straight come (back to) life. Cool idea and fantastic execution!

#190 8 years ago

Episode 107 - Broken Switch Replacement

Replacing a broken switch is something that you'll have to do sooner or later. It's relatively simple, but keep track of the spacers and the order in case you have to reassemble from scratch.

#191 8 years ago

Episode 108 - Mini - Lonnie Irving - Pinball Machine

Short one tonight - a bit of feedback had me check out a song available on Youtube - Lonnie Irving's 1960 song Pinball Machine discusses the evils of bingo pinball playing.

#192 8 years ago

Episode 109 - Coil Tech

Need to know how to take basic care of your coils, listen here!

If you need to replace a coil - contact the Pinball Resource or John's Jukes to get the appropriate replacement.
They both carry various sizes of coils, stops, sleeves, etc.

Marcos also carries all these supplies.

#193 8 years ago

Episode 110 - Interview with Brent Amrhein

Brent Amrhein is a friend of mine, younger than me, and I have successfully convinced him to play as much pinball as possible.

Based in Atlanta, he went to the Southern Fried Gameroom Expo, and I ask him what he thinks of the various machines and the show in general.

There is some Solid State talk in this one, as Brent is rather new to pinball.

He was able to play some classic EMs at the show, so I ask him questions about the various machines.

One day you'll beat that Egghead!

#195 8 years ago

Thanks Vic, it's fun to encourage someone to attend their first show, and check out the unusual older games that you don't see everywhere. It's all new to Brent!

#196 8 years ago

Episode 111 - Gottlieb 1960 Dancing Dolls

Dancing Dolls is a woodrail, has lighted scoring, and has a unique backglass animation.

Beyond the cool animation, the game has multiple pop bumpers, slings, rollovers, 2" flippers and some standup targets. Quite a bit to do, and the animation is incredibly neat.

#198 8 years ago

Episode 112 - Interview with Don Walton

Don is one of the hosts of The Pinball Podcast (www.thepinballpodcast.com).
He recently attended the Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown and found the elusive Scoregasm Master.

Topics range from Scoregasm gameplay, construction and features to bingos, general repair, and the unrealistic nudge physics of the Pinball Arcade.

#199 8 years ago

Episode 113 - Miss America Tutorial

Ryan Claytor made his way to the Pinball Hall of Fame in Las Vegas, and wanted to try his first bingo.

He contacted me for a brief tutorial on the game.

In this case, it was one of the many Miss America games produced by Bally.

Miss America games are characterized by horizontal Magic Lines and high scoring potential.

I plan to put this writeup on my site as well.

#200 8 years ago

Posting write-up a bit early, episode releases at 8pm Eastern (US).

Episode 114 - Clear coating playfield

My thoughts on clear coating playfields - I'm not a huge proponent, which I know is an unpopular stance.

Hear me out, though: ball travel is all important in any flipper game. Knowing how the ball will react is also critical. When the game is being played with a clear coated playfield, the ball reacts as if it is skating on a layer of ice above the wood. Spin and travel are not as they normally would be for that title. Ball travel is also critical for the bingo: one of your measures of control is knowing how the ball will react when striking a post or spring.

There are exceptions to my thought - if you do playfield touch-ups, you will want to clear coat over top of the touch-ups to help preserve the new artwork. The original artwork has a shellac or other lacquer finish that has preserved the artwork for 50-60 even 70 years - why mess with success?

I ensure that my games are waxed regularly, and this preserves their paint.

#202 8 years ago

Well, if my rant about LEDs didn't bring it in, I'm sure this will. I aim to please.

Different strokes and all. If it's your game, go for it, but my personal thought is that it decreases the playability and thus value of a game for me - especially an EM or Bingo. Replacing shoddy or worn clear coat on a modern game is an entirely different subject.

#203 8 years ago

I also just set up a voicemail line for the podcast - 724-BINGOS-1 or 724-246-4671.
Call with an EM or Bingo playing memory, with gameplay or technical questions, and you'll likely hear it on the show!

Yes, you can also leave hate voicemail if needed.

#207 8 years ago

It's not the speed that bothers me, but the way the ball moves. Changes to the forces exerted on the playfield, not ball speed, are at issue.

I'll have to listen to that episode again, however, this is only my opinion.

I've got several super fast EMs. The fastest of all my games is 50 years old. Age is just a number, Ryan!

Wax will bring ball speed back up as it provides a very thin coat on top of the wood/ink. I'll get to that in a later episode.

#209 8 years ago

Ryan, note that I mentioned if you are completely repainting your game then a full clearcoat would make sense.

#210 8 years ago

Episode 115 - Interview with Danny Leach 6-26-15

Danny runs the bingo history website located at http://danny.cdyn.com

Danny has been collecting and archiving stories and history on all the bingo machines - Bally, United, and the solid states from overseas.

The stories that have been archived at Danny's site are fascinating - he has lots of info on bingos and the law and various player stories and info on playing these great games.

Note that there's a couple of bad words, if you care about such things.

#212 8 years ago

Thank you Vic, I agree!

Episode 116 - Interview with Jay Stafford 6-28-15

Jay Stafford is one of the key members of the IPDB, who helps to accrue images and documentation on pinball machines to post for reference.

The IPDB site provides an invaluable service to the collector community - I know, speaking for myself, that I would be absolutely lost without the availability of the images and information on the site.

Jay provided his answers via e-mail.

The Internet Pinball Database is available at http://ipdb.org.

A sidenote: don't forget to register your serial numbers at http://ipsnd.net

#214 8 years ago

Ha-ha, oh. Well I meant to say it. Lacquering would make sense if you were screening the graphics onto the playfield. This would be as original, and would certainly play better (in my opinion only!), but I thought I had mentioned in a throwaway sentence that if you were repainting the entire playfield, it would make sense to clearcoat.

In this case because the paint is more fragile than the screened ink.

Otherwise, I'd still leave it as factory.

#215 8 years ago

Episode 117 -Interview with Molly Baldridge 7-2-15

Molly is my wife, and I finally talk with her about her thoughts on pinball in general, her favorite machines, and bingos.
Molly holds the high score for Twinky, one of the fastest, most difficult machines that I own.
Molly enjoys the social aspects of the hobby, but mostly does not play, so I was curious to record her perspective on the games.

#216 8 years ago

Early post today - Episode 118 - Cleaning the Bottom Board

Cleaning the bottom board in an EM machine is important, for any machine that has components mounted on a board beneath the playfield.

This would include most any flipper game made in the 60s+.

#217 8 years ago

Note that the bingo collection I mention as for sale in Ep. 118 is only for sale as a package deal for all 10 games. Contact Vic_Camp if interested!

#218 8 years ago

Episode 119 - Playfield Disassembly

Discussion on how to disassemble the top of your playfield, including how to polish your plastics and posts.

#219 8 years ago

Episode 120 - Further Playfield Disassembly

You've got your ball arch, posts, and plastics removed - now it's time to remove your pops/bumpers, flippers, slings and other mechanisms - then the fun really begins.

#220 8 years ago

Episode 121 - Cleaning and Waxing

What I use, how I use it. Pitfalls of everything.

#221 8 years ago

Episode 122 - Mold Remediation

Our first call on the bingo line brings a question on how to deal with mold on the bottom board.
I talk about some of the ways I try to tackle this issue.

#223 8 years ago

Absolutely, ask away!

Tonight's episode:

Episode 123 - Cleaning Metal

The basics of how to disassemble the metal bits on the playfield of a typical game, and how to clean.

I'm super cheap, so I hand polish these items - discussion of products used and any extra precautions needed.

Next episode I will discuss the lamp springs on bingo playfields - they are conspicuous in their absence.

#224 8 years ago

Episode 124 - Bingo Lamp Spring Removal

Bingo lamp shield springs are beautiful pieces that are difficult to remove, but very satisfying once cleaned.

Removal requires a good degree of caution. Follow these instructions and you should be good!

#225 8 years ago

Episode 125 - Interview with Jeff Rivera 7-8-15

Jeff is one of the co-hosts of 'The Pinball Podcast' located at thepinballpodcast.com

We talk about EMs he enjoys, repair, and I try to talk him into a local Magic Squares bingo.

#226 8 years ago

Episode 126 - Interview #2 with Vic Camp - 7-9-15

Vic Camp comes back on the podcast to talk about his current collection, bingos, and Gottlieb wedgeheads.

Note that the package deal for 10 bingos is still available in New Jersey - contact Vic_Camp for the (100% working!) bingo collection.

Some great titles - listen to the podcast for more detail on this - snap it up!

#228 8 years ago

Episode 127 - Cabinet Cleaning

How to clean your cabinet, and, more importantly, keep it clean!

#229 8 years ago

We're all going to ignore the fact that I've already partially repeated myself.

Episode 128 - De-rusting

A large amount of surface rust can be a tell-tale sign that the mechanisms in the head or the cabinet are frozen in place. Evaluate any machine with rust carefully before purchasing.

How to remove rust from your siderails, legs, and coin door, as well as smaller parts.

#230 8 years ago

Episode 129 - The story of the Coil Burner

Sadly, my nickname is Coil Burner. Steve gave me that name after I blew up his Golden Gate.

Now that I'm aware of that issue, I pay close attention to payouts. I'll be detailing the issue and remediation in tomorrow's episode.

#231 8 years ago

Episode 130 - Magic Screen Timing Bug

The Magic Screen games between Sea Island and Bounty have a design flaw that will sometimes cause a coil to remain locked on during payout.

The timer unit steps up in certain circumstances during payout and will shut off the motors. This causes a coil that is normally engaged during payout to remain on and fry.

Fixing this problem is thankfully pretty easy! I would recommend that everyone make this modification on their screen games to prevent heartbreak when you're not looking.

#232 8 years ago

Episode 131 - Quick Switch Contact Repair (hack)

Sometimes, you don't have the time or correct parts to fix a problem. If I am going to create a hack to fix a problem temporarily, I like to ensure that it is easily reversible and will cause a minimum of damage to the game in case it goes wrong.

With a time crunch before a group of newcomers to pinball came over, I had to correct a flaky switch that incremented the score on an older machine.

A freely rotating contact on a leaf switch can, sometimes, be soldered in place to allow for continued operation without a replacement switch at hand. This is a very easy hack to reverse, as I simply have to replace the switch and the issue goes away (I'll be doing that soon).

#233 8 years ago

Episode 132 - Score Motors - Exhibit

Score motors are the 'brains' of any EM game. Tonight I discuss Exhibit's score motor orientation and function in the 1947 Exhibit 'Mystery' that I own.

I also added a quick addendum to last night's simple 'hack' podcast.

#234 8 years ago

Episode 133 - Score Motors - Gottlieb

Gottlieb used the same style of score motor for pretty much their entire EM life. Discussion on orientation, maintenance, advantages and disadvantages of this setup. I enjoy the compact setup of these motors.

#235 8 years ago

Episode 134 - Score Motors - Bally

Bally's Score Motor design changed quite a bit over the years, depending on the style of game they were making. In a future episode, I'll dive into the control unit, which is a beautiful, complex electromechanical marvel.

This episode, however, I talk about the relatively straightforward, no-frills Bally score motor, its ease of adjustment and common issues (really the same common issue that plagues most score motors that have been sitting and transported many times without being used for a long period of time).

#240 8 years ago

The advantage of in-person delivery! T-shirts are in and they are spectacular (in my not-so-humble opinion).

Picked up shipping materials today, will address and ship tomorrow!

Thanks to everyone who purchased.

#242 8 years ago

Episode 135 - Score Motors - Williams

The last (for now) in my score motors series detailing the differences between the various manfacturers and their approaches to the same problem.

Williams score motors have a service plug that can be moved that will lock all the cams in place. I wish this option did not exist. Any Williams with this option constantly trips me up.

#247 8 years ago

Nice lookin' shirt Ryan! I sent out all the orders today in the mail - I'm looking forward to having these all across the world soon.

Vic, I love your idea on the payoffs on your machines. Awesome.

Tonight's episode - 136 - Control Units - Servicing

Bally's Control Unit was an ingenious design for several reasons - in the bingos, one of the most impressive designs was how very serviceable these units are.

You take one part Bally score motor, add in some more power and clutches, and you have a rather simple design that allows for servicing from almost any angle.

I love 'em!

#248 8 years ago

Episode 137 - The Control Unit - First Switches

The first switches in the control unit are required for timing out the motor, thus saving wear and tear on the motor.

It is crucial that these switches are adjusted properly or your motor will never stop running.

#249 8 years ago

Episode 138 - The Control Unit - Second Switches

This is our continued series looking at the control unit on a Bally bingo - specifically the 1972 Double-Up.

These switches are involved with normal gameplay, and only comprise a little over half of the switches and cams involved in making the game operate as per normal.

I realized after recording this that it may very well be the driest, most technical podcast I've yet recorded. Enjoy everyone! Tomorrow's will be less so (and we're headed into the exciting switches).

#251 8 years ago

Episode 139 - The Control Unit - the Payout Switches

In our next-to-last episode detailing the workings of a Bally bingo control unit, we examine the switches necessary for the operation of the payout.

When a winner has been determined, the machine has to have some way of stepping up the replay meter in the backglass.

#252 8 years ago

Episode 140 - The Control Unit - Searching for a Winner (in all the wrong places)

The final set of switches on the control unit govern the search process. Everything from the release of the search disc to the lockout of footrail buttons happens here.

The control unit is complete - from switch stack A to switch stack ZB!

#253 8 years ago

Episode 141 - Using a meter with an EM game

How to use a multimeter to troubleshoot various aspects of a game. A bit of a small electical/electronics crash course in how current flows, what to expect, how to change your settings appropriately, and how to zero out your meter.

#254 8 years ago

Episode 142 - Basics of Electrical Theory

Some of the basics about how to construct a circuit, how the circuit actually functions, and how to measure and calculate the values of Votage, Amperage (current), and Resistance.

I still haven't figured out how to use a calendar and clock, I guess - early release today!

#255 8 years ago

Episode 143 - Happy Birthday, Mr. Neyens!

Wanye Neyens was a prolific designer through much of Gottlieb's woodrail and metal rail EM production.

His career spanned at least 179 machines (according to the IPDB, 177 machines made it to production).

He is 97 years old as of the day of recording, July 29, 2015. Happy Birthday, Mr. Neyens!

#256 8 years ago

Thank you to the E.M. Dungeon for having me on this month's episode! It was dark, damp and delightful.

http://www.spookypinball.com/http:/spookypinball.com/spooky-pinball-podcast-show-65/

#257 8 years ago

And while I'm discussing other podcasts - I forgot to plug that Adam from the One and Done podcast had me on a few weeks ago - http://podbay.fm/show/885845637/e/1435107600?autostart=0

#258 8 years ago

Episode 144 - Transformers

What is a transformer? What purpose does that heavy thing do in your game?

These questions and more answered!

#260 8 years ago

That's interesting looking! IPDB's photos show a built-in hopper that dispenses right into a trough in the coin door.

#262 8 years ago

What is the total payout on that one? The solid state bingos seem to have thousands on a single game. Neat that it has a multi acceptor selectable via dips.

#263 8 years ago

Episode 145 - Flipper Construction

Flippers have undergone a bit of change since the beginning of the flipper era (1947).

Different designers had different techniques for using the flippers, and they certainly changed the face of pinball.

I also discuss the basic pieces of the flipper mechanism.

#264 8 years ago

Episode 146 - Changing a Flipper

How to take apart a flipper and change it.

The same basic rules apply to any EM pinball machine with flippers.

#265 8 years ago

Episode 147 - Zipper Flippers

Originally known as 'Flipper Zippers', this feature allows the flippers mounted on the playfield to 'zip' together, closing off the outhole.

The feature is pretty simple under the hood.

One of Bally's innovations during the EM era, pioneered by Ted Zale.

#266 8 years ago

Episode 148 - Mushroom Bumpers

Another Bally innovation, the mushroom bumper is a really fancy target that feels very satisfying to hit.

How they work and common problems.

#269 8 years ago

Episode 149 - The Chicane Lane

Bally's innovations continue with the Chicane Lane, a feature that slows the ball down and wiggles it back and forth to draw the player's attention. Amazingly simple in execution, two stacked plastics!

#272 8 years ago

Btw75 - which game did you get? I'm very excited to hear that!

#273 8 years ago

Had a really fun day yesterday...

IMG_20150807_180956.jpgIMG_20150807_180956.jpg

Vic Camp and I spent the whole day together, and I played his beautiful collection (and came home with two new beauties).

In the background, you can see Lite-A-Line and Dixieland, two fantastic 6 card players. So much to shoot for on a Dixieland!

Amazing gameplay (and winning potential) on his solid state New Continental Golden.

And his incredible collection of extremely low play Gottlieb Wedgeheads... There are no words to describe just how fantastically his games looked and played! It is incredibly obvious that he has put in so much time on each game making them play perfectly. Every game is as responsive as the next.

I'll post some pics of the new games soon. A beautiful Gay Time and a Night Club project have made the journey from the Garden State to VA.

Thank you Vic for such a fun time.

Can't wait to send you video of those beauties up and running.

I am so incredibly honored to have two pieces of bingo history in my home - games owned by the famous Vic Camp!

#278 8 years ago

Btw75, excellent!!! Let me know if I can help!

#284 8 years ago

Hey Jonnyo thanks for the interest - couple of notes:

Be careful about naming a location like that - it may have consequences once this page is indexed by search engines. Please consider editing your post to remove the location's name/location. That said, sounds fun.

Re: EM hate - hanging out on pinside as recently as a couple of months ago, there were many people saying that all EMs were terrible and they didn't understand why anyone would ever want to play much less own an EM. Today, there is much less of that as the modern game collector's start buying an EM, fixing it and giving the gameplay a chance. I'm glad that the folks you associate with do not hold that belief.

The bingos get their own special dose of hatred from generations of anger at all pinball being banned.

But I hope that in my own small way I can show that these games are incredibly fun to play.

#286 8 years ago

Having a redemption counter is a good idea for that purpose, too. Similar to the way pachinko parlors worked - you could redeem medals for a pack of cigarettes or other small trinket or take them around the corner and sell for cash.

Very neat that it is in such a central location, too. Also: were they bingos or some other kind of machine?

#287 8 years ago

Episode 152 - Interview with Charles Rowland 8-5-15

Charles Rowland is a local (to the Richmond, VA area) operator who has been in the industry since the 1960s.

Charles has fascinating stories about running bingos and EMs on location during their heyday.

He currently runs Games People Play, a shop that sells to home game enthusiasts and runs games on location.

Games People Play is on Dabney Rd in the near West End in Richmond, VA.

#289 8 years ago

I hear this fake Nick Baldridge is a troublemaker...

Episode 153 - Jubilee is the Shizzy

Special guest host Fake Nick Baldridge joins us for a walkthrough of the 1973 Williams Jubilee that he owns.

FNB does an excellent job describing the features and gameplay on his game.

Hopefully FNB comes back for an episode in the future - thanks FNB!

#295 8 years ago

Episode 154 - Discussion with Vic Camp 8-7-15

I finally made the trip up to NJ and met Vic in person.

Vic spent the whole day with me and shared his amazing collection and variety of gorgeous bingos.

We talk about the day, his truly fantastic collection and the unique and wonderful bingo gameplay of the games in his collection.

The best part: I drove home that night with two new bingos in my van - 1955 Gay Time and 1956 Night Club!

#296 8 years ago

Episode 155 - Bally's Thoughtfulness

Bally thought long and hard about how the player would approach and play their bingo games, but they also thought about the poor guy who would have to maintain them!

Learn some of the secrets of working on a bingo in this episode.

#297 8 years ago

...and with that, I've got the Gay Time up and going! My first play testing session, I got 5-in-a-line ( with the glass on). A feat that'll likely take me some time to repeat.

There are a couple of small gremlins to work out that were caused by moving or my poking around in the control unit which I should have debugged tomorrow.

So many moving numbers! What a fun game with really high scoring potential.

Took a (very brief) look at Night Club, too. Even Vic's project games are such great examples. So much nicer than my typical barn find junker! The cabinet on this game is in amazing shape.

I have about 50% of the parts I need to get this one going, but I'm going to go ahead and rebuild the steppers and oil the clutches, common shopping tasks that need to be done while I make my list and get it going (and play the Gay Time). I'll also disassemble the magic squares unit and fix any bugs/change lamps. I've got some work ahead, but it honestly doesn't look too bad!

Woo hoo!

#299 8 years ago

Muggle yeah! I need some, especially for DU. I'm just diving into Night Club, but it will likely need re-oiling at least. Clutches appear to be in OK condition.

Clutches changed between the woodrail and metal rail bingos (different sized shafts). You can make the smaller larger but not vice-versa. I'm guessing that those will only fit the metal rails. Which as said above, will be super helpful, just giving some knowledge for others' benefit.

Thanks!

#300 8 years ago

Episode 156 - Changing a Control Unit Motor

Bally actually made it very easy to swap units in and out of a bingo. Today I talk about how to remove a control unit motor from a Bally bingo.

I have a couple of photos of the removal up on the Facebook/Instagram/Twitter pages. But it is just about how you might imagine it.

Once I have the new motor installed (hopefully by the end of the week), I will likely have a working game!

#302 8 years ago

So I read through the schematics and manual on the Gay Time - guess what? It uses a selenium rectifier! Pretty fancy for 1955!

#304 8 years ago

Episode 157 - Gay Time is Running

I finished replacing the control unit motor on Gay Time, and the game roared to life!

I only had two items that needed tweaking, then the game started playing perfectly.

My first test game, when I wasn't really trying, I got a 5-in-a-line! I've been unable to replicate this feat thus far.

#306 8 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

Doesn't that mean it's time to sell it already?

No way!

#312 8 years ago

Thanks Vic!

I was helping a friend work on some Machines tonight, sorry for the delay in posting.

Episode 158 - Night Club Inspection

I spent a bit of time tonight looking at my new Night Club project. I began shopping the units in the head, and have finished a good portion.

This is what is needed to get the game going.

#313 8 years ago

Episode 159 - Btw75 TekTip

Pinside user btw75 just picked up his first Bally bingo! A Circus Queen magic screen game. He also provided me with a great tech tip (or TekTip) that I just had to share.

Thanks btw75!

#316 8 years ago

Contrary to expectations if you've listened to the show, I enjoy all pinball. I especially enjoy working on all pinball games, and learning the advantages and limitations in various boardsets.

I enjoy working on EMs most of all, mainly due to how direct the correlation between manipulating a switch or relay and seeing or hearing it work. This is opposed to dealing with a switch matrix which is polled by a processor and dealt with via ROMs. After so many layers of abstraction, you are more likely to encounter errors. And this is coming from a computer guy. Having such a direct relationship between pushing /this/ and doing /that/ is pretty neat.

It was a lot of fun to work on the games and help with scorekeeping at the tournament. I was happy to help.

#317 8 years ago

Episode 160 - Bingo Playfield Swaps / Night Club Progress

Bingo playfields are not all created equal. I have a bingo playfield swap about 90% complete, and note some differences between solid state bingo playfields and their Bally counterparts.

#319 8 years ago

Thank you Taylor. I'm always excited to learn - thank you for taking the time to teach me more about the competitive side. Electronics and electromechanicals are not a problem, but I don't understand anything about large scale competitive pinball. But... I'm learning!

Now... when are we going to start the Richmond Bingo League?

#322 8 years ago

Episode 161 - Bingo Ball Lift Button

Bally bingos have a button under the shooter rod that is only usable at certain times during gameplay. What is the function of this button? Why was it included?

Is there any difference between the various games Bally produced with regard to this button?

#323 8 years ago

Episode 162 - Night Club Lives! (Partially)

Had a productive evening. Finished cleaning and swapping parts that I had onto Night Club - enough to get the game to turn on.

I have two of the motors moving appropriately, and various relays are doing the correct thing. Very exciting!

I'm waiting on a few parts to get it fully working, but at the moment, it feels good to make progress.

#325 8 years ago

Warbound, if you post a photo of the wire and area nearby, I may be able to help you.

#326 8 years ago

Episode 163 - The Shutter

Bingos have a special mechanism underneath the playfield which will trap or release the balls.

This mechanism is pretty neat and actually controls quite a bit of the game logic depending on state (open or closed).

Some issues that can occur with the shutter are discussed.

#329 8 years ago

Vic, thank you for your kind words. I am always happiest when I make a machine that has been sitting for a while live again. Seeing and hearing the motors roar to life after the work of cleaning and adjusting is always incredibly satisfying.

I am so excited to try my hand at this example of a wonderful game.

I have a shutter motor coming my way that will work, and I'll be installing it as soon as it arrives - which should fix the vast majority of my remaining (minor) issues.

As far as now being the time to get a bingo - Vic's right! There are many out there currently that lie waiting for the right person to come and fix them.

Not every game is to everyone's taste, however, both Bally and United (and in limited form Williams, Keeney, Gottlieb) all made these games of skill - there are so many different types of bingo game that surely one is to your liking. You simply have to have the experience of playing one of these games and hearing, seeing, and yes, smelling them to understand just how fascinating they are!

All that said, for those going to the York show this year, there will be a historic 'bingo row', hopefully right next to the usual 'woodrail row'. Come meet me and the bingo luminaries, including many heard on this podcast, and play several different varieties of games (a 'hole hopper', several magic screen games, a 6 card game, an oddball 3 ball game, and a 3 card game). All different titles! The current count is 8 (with a 9th meeting me at the show to be immediately put in the free play area, if the deal works out). Subject to change, of course, but it will be an historic show, to be sure!

I encourage everyone attending York that is a listener to come and give the games a shot. What do you have to lose? They're on free play, after all! October 9th and 10th. If you bring a game, setup is on the 8th.

York is my favorite of the shows I've attended, mainly for its laid-back atmosphere (and the rotating cast of two bingos that make a yearly appearance).

#330 8 years ago

Episode 164 - The Ball Return Board

Bally Bingos have a special part underneath the playfield that is designed to return the balls to the trough.

This part, despite its simplicity, is also an elegant solution to getting all the balls back into the trough without jamming.

#332 8 years ago

Wow! Those games look like they are in fantastic condition, aside from being in working order. Someone grab them!

#335 8 years ago

Gorgeous games. I like the blue trim package (aftermarket) on the Blue Chip.

Episode 165 - The Ball Lifter

Bally's bingos had a ball lifter that would handle multiple tasks - chief among them, to serve a ball to the shooter lane to allow the player the chance to fire!

#337 8 years ago

Excellent Taylor. A fully-working 4 player Gottlieb is a great place to start.

Episode 166 - Solid State Bingo Ball Return Boards

The solid state bingos made by Wimi or GAA have a different type of ball return board - the design has one advantage over the Bally style of ball return, however, it also has a few disdvantages.

#343 8 years ago

Taylor already fixed it. Pins were missing to hold the trip bank in place and it flopped over in moving. Unflopping fixed it.

Congrats btw75! What odds level are you attempting to use to get your 5-in-a-line payouts? Try a couple different ones. Suspect your odds steppers first if you have 3 and 4 in a line working.

#345 8 years ago

OK, that's a good thing! Your game has something called Triple-Deck Scoring. This means that the game keeps track of three separate odds colors independently.

It does this via the red, yellow and green 'Score Discs'.

Check the second step of the score discs and see if you get the same type of problem.

Things to look for:

1) Does it do it consistently?
2) What does it do? Does it add 4 extra replays? Does it add a random amount? Does it never stop adding replays? Does it seem to grant you the next step up?
3) Does it do it in every color?
4) Does it do it at step 2 on the score discs?

Answering the above questions should give you an idea of where your problem lies. For example, if it does it inconsistently, then you have an open/short somewhere in the scoring path, and I would suspect either the finger of the score disc unit or one of the wires attached above.

If it is consistent, then it is likely that one of the fingers is slightly misaligned.

If it doesn't happen in every color then you have narrowed it down to two total units that could be at fault (score disc and replay counter for that color).

If it happens in every color, then some games have a separate small ratcheting replay counter for high wins. If your game has this (and it should, as it has a blue section - it was the first, in fact!), then there are three switches associated with this small stepper and it is likely that one is fouled or misaligned.

Most of the problems I can imagine on an in-line 5 win would happen due to dirt in the scoring path. Especially if you have tested most every other combo of 3 and 4 in a line.

If you're getting less than the number expected, I would suggest reviewing the manual for the score discs and tugging on the wires at the solder points for your 5-in-line feeders.

#346 8 years ago

Episode 167 - Bingo Hacks

Bally Bingos were big money. If the machines had a feature that allowed for skilled players to earn replays too quickly, some sly operators would disable that feature. Alternatively, they might make it come up much less frequently.

Working on a hacked game can be difficult - some of the technicians were very clever. The ham-fisted ones are usually very obvious and easy to repair.

#348 8 years ago

Awesome! So btw75, all your inline wins are working properly?

How bout your section wins? Once I get inlines working, I typically take a shortcut and just do a single 3-4-5 test in each section and don't test every single hole in the section. You do have to test each section.

Then I move on to 3/2 in blue, then super sections, then the red letter game last.

#349 8 years ago

Episode 168 - 1952 Williams Four Corners

In 1952, Williams put out a bingo-style game that encourages you to land in the four corners of the card to win the most replays.

As with most woodrails, there are multiple ways to win replays. In this case, you win replays based on three or four in line on the bingo card.

It looks like a very fun game!

#351 8 years ago

That's good! A piece at a time and you'll have it working perfectly very quickly. Which reminds me... I need to do an episode on lubrication of the motors.

#353 8 years ago

Thanks Vic - still going strong!

Episode 169 - Troubleshooting Magic Screen Scoring

The bingo helpline lights up again tonight with a call about how to most effectively troubleshoot the scoring on a magic screen.

I give my personal method for troubleshooting, and explain the (few) shortcuts I take.

Troubleshooting a new game for me using this method takes only a few hours.

Congratulations on getting your blue section working, btw75!

#355 8 years ago

Episode 170 - Insert Leveling the Easy Way

There are multiple ways to reglue inserts.

In this episode, I give the method that I use.

When inserts are loose, they must be removed and re-adhered to the game to prevent nasty playfield wear.

#359 8 years ago

Vic, that game is a beauty!

I shot you a video tonight, hope you got it. The parts for Night Club came today - it's working!

Episode 171 - Fixing Cupped Inserts

Insert cupping is much more difficult to fix than sunken inserts.

There are several methods that can be used, and I give some of the pros and cons of each.

Get ready for nerve-wracking sanding!

#363 8 years ago

Wow, you can see the overspray inside the backbox! Rare and gorgeous. I hope your buyer is happy - cause I would be!

#368 8 years ago

That unit to the upper left of the replay register, and below the relay bank at the top left, is the randomizer. Pretty neat unit - has a bi-directional motor!

#369 8 years ago

Episode 172 - 1956 Bally Night Club

Bally's Night Club (1956) was a heckuva game. Rotating numbers in the corners of the bingo card, changes to quadruple your wins in certain areas of the backglass, corners scoring, an extended time tree, and the Ballyhole!

Whew! That's a lot of features! One of my all-time favorite bingos, and mine is running, so I'm a happy camper.

#372 8 years ago

Vic, yes, I love it! Also, the repair worked well on the ball arch. I'm waiting on the second coat to set, then we will see if it needs a third.

Your Blue Chip is fantastic inside. Did you get a 4 in a row on card #6 before you took the first photos?

Also, I've never seen the Bally inspection card on the trough. Very cool. Amazing that it is in that shape with that number of coins going in. What is the max coin on that one? 6?

#373 8 years ago

Episode 173 - Router on Ball Arch Repair

My replacement Night Club playfield came with a problem: the ball arch between the shooter lane to the rebound rubber, was routed down about 1/4 inch.

I've thought about several methods for repair, and decided to try Varathane as I have a can here, and it holds up to ball travel normally...

We will see how it holds up!

#375 8 years ago

Vic, that sounds like a plan! Thanks for the info on the Blue Chip. Crack 1000 replays.

#377 8 years ago

Vic, love this idea. Folks, take a stab. I'll give you a small hint.

We'll use Ticker Tape as an example, since I'm looking at it right now:
Card 1:
3 - 4 replays
4 - 16 replays
5 - 100 replays

Card 2:
3 - 4
4 - 20
5 - 100

Card 3:
3 - 4
4 - 20
5 - 120

Card 4:
3 - 4
4 - 24
5 - 140

Card 5:
3- - 4
4 - 36
5 - 240

Card 6:
3 - 4
4 - 44
5 - 300

#378 8 years ago

Episode 174 - Using Circuit Breakers Instead of Fuses for Troubleshooting

Thanks to previous interviewee Phil Bogema for the subject of this episode.

You can substitute a fuse for a circuit breaker temporarily to troubleshoot problems in any game.

Using the link: https://www.bluesea.com/products/category/0/26/Push%20Button%20Reset-Only
you can find the quick connect breaker of the size you need to troubleshoot your game.

Typical breaker sizes are 5, 10 and 15 Amps for most EM games.

#380 8 years ago

Vic, it took 7 coats to get the ball arch area repaired on that playfield I swapped in. Really I need to let it cure a bit more, then sand and polish.

That said, I did run a few balls on it last night.

I'm waiting on two coil plungers for the replay counter, and one coil. The game works except for the scoring. I suspect the scoring will work properly once I plug in the coils. Stepper has been rebuilt.

I have one bug with the timer - it isn't stepping up to the first position. It resets when a coin is dropped. Will troubleshoot soon. Timer is rebuilt as well, but there may be a broken wire to one of the timer unit's lugs.

Otherwise, the game will shoot all 5 balls of the main game, award up to three extra balls, magic squares units work properly, spotted numbers work properly, score changing units step appropriately (can't test if they award properly yet), and the Ballyhole functions as it should. Time tree does function as it should, but as it is one step behind normal, the squares won't lock out if after 5th is lit. So, not 100%, but pretty darn close.

#382 8 years ago

Ryan, the first thing to note is that the odds interaction on a 6 card is purely in the hands of the player. There are no advancing odds on a 6 card - the odds posted above are what you get, which is part of what makes the gameplay very fast.

The second thing to note about a 6 card is that the features mostly have to do with increasing your inline win, rather than supplanting it like on a magic screen game (moving the screen to position 'x' will allow you to start an entirely new game or position 'y' will allow you to score in the yellow for 'z' rather than in the red for 'a').

You can throw out the OK (red letter) feature - none of the 6 cards have that. You can also ditch advancing odds - there are no separate odds steppers in a 6 card.

What are you left with? The pure odds experience as described by my post (remember we are talking about two different games, my post was regarding Ticker Tape, and Vic posted about Blue Chip), and the 6 card features.

What are the 6 card features at play on a Ticker Tape?
1) All four numbers in the corner of the bingo card score as 5-in-a-line when the feature is lit
2) The super line allows for 3-in-a-row to score as 4-in-a-row and 4 to score as 5. It's important to note that the super line is a horizontal line, second from the bottom of each card. This also must be lit to allow scoring as noted. Otherwise, it scores the normal 3, 4 or 5 in a row way.

Now, what does Blue Chip add to that formula? It allows you to select the center number lit on any of the 6 cards.

From there, you simply have to examine the numbers on the cards.

#384 8 years ago

Haha, great suggestion! Will be either tonight or tomorrow, depending on what time I get home.

#386 8 years ago

Vic, glad you're loving the Blue Chip. That's quite a game!

Episode 175 - Motor Lubrication

Properly lubricated motors will ensure that your game functions properly for years and years to come.

Some games have easy-fill tubes or wicks to allow you to lubricate their motors. Other games have sealed gearboxes. Techniques for lubing both are within!

#387 8 years ago

Episode 176 - EM Oddities Week of 9-1-15

I've run into a couple of things I didn't know about at all this week, namely:

Some Gottlieb games had a weird Jones Plug arrangement.

Not all woodrails are created equal.

#388 8 years ago

Episode 177 - Strictly Six Cards with Vic Camp

Vic Camp joins as co-host for tonight's episode - we talk about the payouts, features and gameplay of the six card bingos produced by Bally, starting with Bright Lights, all the way to Dixieland.

My Ticker Tape:

Ticker Tape Backglass
IMG_20150903_233323.jpgIMG_20150903_233323.jpg

And finally, some actual bingo gameplay:

#389 8 years ago

With the info in the podcast and the photo above, you should be able to figure out Vic's quiz. After our conversation Vic and I discovered that there were two ways to accomplish it.

Episode 178 - Rebuilding a Stepper

Stepper Units are crucial to the proper operation of an EM - in this episode, I talk about disassembling, cleaning and rebuilding the typical step up/reset unit.

#391 8 years ago

Golden Gate is a very highly thought of magic screen game - it is one of the three highest-rated magic screen games.

Note that this game is fully working - Golden Gate has some complex features which are not present on many other magic screen games, so having a fully working one, especially for an inexpensive price is a very good deal. Hopefully someone picks that up soon - you can see that the playfield is in great shape. The backglass is also in pretty great shape. Someone will be very happy with that game.

Now, for tonight's episode:

Episode 179 - 1955 Bally Gay Time

Gay Time is a fantastic player that has features and gameplay well ahead of its time.

The Magic Pockets feature, which has always sounded so cool, is actually incredibly cool. The game will sense when there is a ball in the first row of holes, and allow or prevent you from moving based on the position.

Aside from that, there are spotted numbers, corners scoring, and the magic lines.

All explained in this episode!

#394 8 years ago

Wow! Those folks in Belgium are lucky to have all those cool solid state bingos - nice to see all those in one spot.

For the curious, here's a little video on the Gay Time

#395 8 years ago

Episode 180 - 1972 Bally Ticker Tape with Special Guest

A special guest joins me tonight to talk about her favorite bingo: 1972's Bally Ticker Tape. As you heard on Episode 177, Ticker Tape is a 6 card bingo, with super lines, corner scoring and a 'Double or Nothing' feature.

#397 8 years ago

Ryan, yes - most bingos that were not multi-card had random awards of odds or feature increases. The Miss America that you had a brief experience with is the same way. The Magic Lines feature on Miss America is randomly awarded, for example, as well as the odds.

In some instances, you get nothing at all for your money. You have to learn each machine with repeated plays to know how frequently it might award you anything.

Also worth nothing: the reflex unit comes into play - this is the auto-portioning device that will either allow awards or deny based on how many replays you have won.

All of this done without a computer, and really randomized - part of what makes them fascinating.

#398 8 years ago

Episode 181 - 1963 Bally Bounty

The Bounty - one of the most highly-prized magic screen games - is packed with features to keep players coming back.

Triple-deck scoring, three separate OK features, Magic screen with two super sections and a blue section scoring, an extended time tree, and of course, the skill shot.

Bounty was released only as an export game in 1963.

#400 8 years ago

btw75 - yes, I suppose I am breezing over it a little fast. The time tree is one of the most powerful features in a moving numbers bingo. Give tonight's a listen and let me know if you need more detail. Essentially: it allows you to reposition the numbers before 4th, before 5th, or best of all, after 5th.

#402 8 years ago

Ah, those are 'teaser' lights - they light up to let you know where you will receive the feature /if/ the machine decides to award you the screen.

By default, positions A-D light on the screen, and before 4th. If you are pumping in nickels and not receiving the feature, the machine will tease you that you may receive an 'upgrade' when you finally get the feature. There are teasers under the screen positions on most games, too.

#403 8 years ago

Episode 182 - 1975 Bally Miss Universe

Bally's Miss Universe is a very unusual bingo - with only three balls, and the majority of the gameplay involved with spotted numbers.

This is the only 18-hole bingo produced, made in 1975, five years before Bally closed down bingo production.

A very interesting game, and I look forward to playing one at York, hopefully!

Check out this video:

#404 8 years ago

Episode 183 - 1951 Bally Coney Island

Coney Island is a fantastic game - the second bingo Bally produced, it came out in 1951 with three cards, and the first appearance of the extra ball feature. Up to 8 balls in play at once, and the game will discover and award replays on each of the three cards.

The first bingo appearance of the reflex and mixer units, along with the automatic ball lifter.

Max payout was 100.

Great artwork, a nice small straightforward bingo!

#406 8 years ago

Thanks Vic - I agree - the three card layout is a good entry point to the bingos!

Episode 184 - 1960 Bally Circus Queen

Bally's Circus Queen is a magic screen game with an unusual feature:

three balls in the orange section, when the feature is lit, will score as three in the green!

This was the first game with dedicated blue section scoring. This allows for 3 or 2 in the blue section to score 300 or 600 replays.

Triple deck scoring, an extended time tree with the rollovers, and the OK game round out the package.

#408 8 years ago

Both Cypress Gardens and Palm Beach are desirable games due to their features. Those prices are excellent, too, for fully working games!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 89.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

1,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winnipeg, MB
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
669 posts in this topic match your search for posts by bingopodcast. You are on page 1 of 3.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bingopodcast.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinball-podcast-with-an-em-and-bingo-focus-for-amusement-only?tu=bingopodcast and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.