20230415_073957 (resized).jpg
20230415_071753 (resized).jpg
20230414_171603 (resized).jpg
20230414_175759 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220103_140954934 (resized).jpg
20190524_162105 (resized).jpg
20190524_162039 (resized).jpg
20190524_161419 (resized).jpg
There are 959 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 20.
#1 9 years ago

Over the weekend, I've started a new podcast devoted to EM and bingo pinball.

It's located at foramusementonly.libsyn.com

I'm no expert, nor do I purport to be. I just love these older machines and don't really understand the hatred or indifference I see in folks my age or younger.

You can direct hate mail to [email protected]

I know there's lots of folks out there with more knowledge than me - I never played an EM on location - but I've fixed quite a few.

Here's the bad stuff about me - Edit - I do have a Facebook Page! facebook.com/foramusementonlypodcast - and a Twitter account bingopodcast -End of Edit - I'm very technically minded, so my stuff may be a little dry - sorry about that! I yam what I yam.

-Edit- I was able to submit it to iTunes, so you Apple folks can find me there, too.

Now the good: I've already recorded and edited three episodes. I have another planned for this evening.

I have already discussed early bingos, some technical challenges, and magic screen games briefly. I'll be going over different odds colors this evening.

I plan to discuss any and all EM games, including ball bowlers, puck bowlers, mannikin games, very early pinball (prewar), woodrails, etc.

I may also delve into later games if the mood strikes (or I'm angry that a repair took too long), but that won't be the main focus.

I hope to have interviews with folks in the community - if anyone's interested, let me know.

I'll have a mystery guest here in the next episode or two.

Forgive the default website, I'd rather pour time into recording episodes than beef that up for now. The feed is available at http://foramusementonly.libsyn.com/rss - you can already find it in Pocket Casts, Stitcher Radio and on Facebook.

Thanks for looking!
-Nick

#2 9 years ago

Tag, I'm interested in learning some more about bingos...won't have the room for one for a LONG time.

#3 9 years ago

Cool! I look forward to giving it a listen.

#4 9 years ago

Submitted to iTunes, so theoretically it will appear on Apple stuff shortly.

#5 9 years ago

I'm now on Stitcher as well, search For Amusement Only if streaming's your thing.

#6 9 years ago

Welcome to the club! It has not popped up on iTunes as yet, but I'll be watching for it.

"Knowledge is good" --Emil Faber

#7 9 years ago

Thanks everyone - just waiting on Apple. I guess I'm putting out too much content for them to keep up! I've heard it can take up to three weeks. Perhaps I announced a little too soon. I'll update the thread once I hear back from Apple.

Now if I would quit making mistakes about years games were produced, I'd be good (I've already had one correction 5 episodes in), and realized this morning that I made an error in my correction - bah!

One thing to note about my episodes, they are not a standard length. If my topic only warrants 5 minutes, the show will be 5 minutes. If it's something in-depth, it'll be as long as I feel it needs to be to get the point across. I plan on making as many episodes as possible, as it is easier to edit shorter episodes, and I can stick to a single topic easier.

Bingos are a very large topic, especially once you get into the mechanics, and even with my outlines, I feel that it can be too easy to overwhelm with info.

Short 'n sweet!

Oh, and I had my mystery guest on last night!

#9 9 years ago

Subscribed with the RSS feed at:
http://foramusementonly.libsyn.com/rss

Looking forward to it.

#10 9 years ago

This should be distributed on Edison cylinders.

#11 9 years ago

Cool! Been looking forward to this. Downloading as I type!

#12 9 years ago

Any other EM focused podcasts out there? I know about spooky's EM Dungeon segments and Clay's earlier TOPcasts.

#13 9 years ago

@jeffc, that's pretty much it (as far as I know)! That's part of why I wanted to do this.

@blackjacker - it's recorded on them, but distributed via the magic of the Internet.

#14 9 years ago

So, I've made a Facebook page - ideally I'll be engaging with folks there, here, RGP, the website, email, etc.

https://www.facebook.com/foramusementonlypodcast

Enjoy! Episode 16 just uploaded tonight.

#15 9 years ago

Episode 17 just uploaded. Basic schematic reading - discussing symbols and their meanings, and what the components do in a circuit.

#16 9 years ago

Episode 18 - using schematics to troubleshoot scoring and lamp problems on a Gottlieb wedgehead.

#17 9 years ago

Nick, you are the man! Lovin' your new 'cast. Keep up the great work.

Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#18 9 years ago

Thank you Ryan!

Today's announcement:
Episode 19 - Steve Smith Interview 3/29/15

I talk to Steve Smith and give him wide berth to tell his view of how we met and how I fell in love with bingos. He discusses various topics, including differences between flipper vs. bingo pinball, playing on location as a kid, and how he got his first pinball.

Forgive sound quality - I was sitting too far from the mic and didn't notice.

2 hours! Player's perspective! Great stories about playing bingos on location!

#19 9 years ago

Episode 20 - Guest Pop-A-Card 3/30/15

I talk with Ava about Pop-A-Card, the first game I purchased, and the machine that brought me my love of repairing and playing Gottlieb machines (all eras) and EMs and Bingos!

#20 9 years ago

Been thinking about making my next game purchase a bingo

#21 9 years ago

Excellent! Please let me know if I can be of any help! I'm happy to recommend games that I've played and enjoyed.

Games come in a few different varieties - for 25 holes:

1) single three or six card (no moving numbers)
2) Magic lines (move numbers horizontally [or vertically in some instances])
3) Hole hoppers (allow you to reposition the top row of balls)
4) Magic squares (typically moving the 4 corner numbers in a circle)
5) Magic screen (moving the entire card from in-line scoring to section scoring)
6) Magic curtain (smaller bingo card to start, expanding as you earn the feature)

20 holes:

1) Mystic Lines (moving columns of numbers)
2) "Ring" games - neat idea, but hard to find. Big wheel has great artwork. Never played one, but look like they'd be pretty difficult to win.

-Nick

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from Chuck_Sherman:

Been thinking about making my next game purchase a bingo

They are a great deal of fun, and you will learn a good deal tinkering with them.

#23 9 years ago

I listened to a couple of these and I found them interesting. Good idea to move far, far, back and explore all the (mostly forgotten) cool and inventive ideas that were being put forth in those games. How about Bagatelles? Lots of good stuff there as well.

#24 9 years ago

shakethatmachine - Yep, I'll probably get there one day. I agree. It's not like the pins went away when we went to the EM era. I have a great interest in purely mechanical as well.

Everything builds on prior work in pinball especially.

Chuck_Sherman: The best thing I can say about a bingo is what I said in episode 19 - every ball is different - which makes every game unique.

ArcadeTechNerd: It's as you say. And the best part, the feeling when you move from working on a bingo to working on another EM - fewer moving parts to clean.

#25 9 years ago

Episode 21 - Woodrails and Flippers

Woodrails gave us some of the playfield toys and mechanical devices that we still use today.

Tech talk: flippers - how to disassemble and rebuild. These same basic instructions apply to anything with an EOS switch (basically machines up to 1990ish).

#26 9 years ago

Wow, you really are doing a one-a-day 'cast, aren't you! Impressive. High quality stuff, too. Nice tech segments (I learn something every episode) and fun interviews. Your daughter (a while back) was a hoot and the chat with Steve Smith was like an oral history lesson. Particularly liked hearing his unpublished article read by him. As he mentioned, you're carrying the torch for a new generation. Keep this up, Nick!

Sincerely,
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#27 9 years ago

Thanks again Ryan! I'm going to keep up the pace as long as possible.

#28 9 years ago

Episode 22 - 90's DMDs

I talk about a toy invented in the woodrail era that is still in use today - the Pop Bumper.
Tech: Changing pop bumpers, and how to increase pop safely (by cleaning).

#29 9 years ago

After listening to this podcast I was really hoping there would be a bingo at TPF. I was disappointed to see there was not one there.

#30 9 years ago

Come out to York, PA if you can in Oct! Jeffrey Lawton, the bingo king (the man who wrote the book) brings two each year. Usually two different types of players!

Plus there's a fantastic woodrail row.

#31 9 years ago

Episode 23 releases tonight. Bingos and the law.

Why were backglasses altered? Why are serial numbers different between cab and playfield? Why were Bingos persecuted?

Tech: DIY backglass reproduction

#32 9 years ago

Episode 24 - Relays and Sequences

How do EMs determine the game state?

Tech: How to properly adjust a relay, and when to hit it with a hammer (really)!

#33 9 years ago

Episode 25 - What to look for in a bingo

How to determine if you're getting a good deal (most of the time, you are with a bingo - very few problems cannot be solved with a bit of time and elbow grease)

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

Episode 25...How to determine if you're getting a good deal (most of the time, you are with a bingo...

Episode 25 - What Nick tells his wife.
Episode 26 - Mrs. Baldridge reveals the truth

#35 9 years ago

Publishing tonight:

Episode 26 - Drop Targets

How to disassemble and clean a drop target bank, and how drop targets are typically constructed.

Not mentioned: how much I dislike solid state Williams drop targets.

#36 9 years ago

And Ryan, you're right. Mrs. Baldridge is only happy when the games are less than $50. However, I know a value when I see one. Bingos have staying power due to the variety of gameplay mechanics and challenging nudging action (and the thinkin').

I've got some good stuff coming up, especially for you bingo lovers, new and old!

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from bingopodcast:

Mrs. Baldridge is only happy when the games are less than $50.

Ha-ha! Sounds familiar. *LOL* Ever think about having her on for a show? Could be fun hearing from your better half. ...does she play (bingo or pinball) at all?

#38 9 years ago

Ryan, of course! She's just not been interested in coming on yet. I'll continue to try. She does play pinball. Her favorite game (that I own) is the 1967 Chicago coin twinky (she has the high score). She doesn't play the bingos, but both of my kids do!

#39 9 years ago

It was a hoot to hear your daughter talking about your pins and bingos. Indoctrinating them young! GO NICK! Ha-ha! (I'm guilty of the same thing with my 1.5-year-old son.)

Well, tell your wife that there is a request to hear her side of the Baldridge Bingo story.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying the 'casts!
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#40 9 years ago

Episode 27 drops tonight - Transporting a Game.

Not the most exciting topic, but practical!

-Nick

#41 9 years ago

Episode 28 - Bingo Scoring Problems

The first few things to check if your game is not awarding replays correctly.

This circuit is one of the more complex in the machine, so breaking it down into bite-sized chunks is important.

#42 9 years ago

Episode 29 - Timing is Everything

Bingos require specific timing in order to determine where in the game you are currently.

The timing circuit is not very complex, but it can be confusing when looking at the physical devices, especially when you expect your game to load 5 balls one at a time, and it loads all 5 at once, or loads one and stops or a myriad of other problems. Help for all of the above in this episode.

#43 9 years ago

Episode 30 - High Voltage

Don't touch plastic-coated wires while the machine is on. 120V - zap!

Long story short: be careful - there's a reason I turn the machine off to make adjustments.

#44 9 years ago

Bump for a milestone 30th episode! Congrats, Nick! ...see you in less than a month for your golden anniversary.

#45 9 years ago

Thanks Ryan!

Episode 31 - The Gentlemanly Art of Nudging

A description of how to make a number that you need (shake and pull). It is an art and requires lots of practice. However, playing a bingo, getting a feel for the tilt, nudging an EM to drive the ball to the 2" flippers... these will make you a much better player overall.

#46 9 years ago

Episode 32 - 1930s Innovation

Ramps, Kickouts, Bumpers, Lighted Scoring, DC-driven coils, multi-level playfields - all were children of the 30s.

#47 9 years ago

Made a pickup today. It works! Two minor problems and needs a cleaning and a shop job, but it functions! Played a bunch when we got it in.

I recorded a podcast with my friend Clark who helped me pick it up.

Look for that episode soon.

-Nick
IMG_20150412_203032.jpgIMG_20150412_203032.jpg
IMG_20150412_203000.jpgIMG_20150412_203000.jpg
IMG_20150412_203011.jpgIMG_20150412_203011.jpg

#48 9 years ago

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee = )

(saw that was coming)
looks to be in nice shape !

have a few ideas to brainstorm - may call at lunchtime

#49 9 years ago

Very exciting! Couldn't believe you were going to pass on this originally. Looks like a fabulous example. Can't wait to listen to the podcast documenting the adventure. Good luck with the shop job, Nick!

Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#50 9 years ago

Muggle: Sounds good - call me up!

Ryan: Thank you - it's coming along nicely. Won't take much to make 'er shine.
-Nick

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

1,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winnipeg, MB
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 959 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 20.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinball-podcast-with-an-em-and-bingo-focus-for-amusement-only and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.