(Topic ID: 305492)

New Pinball owner

By targetAlpha

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I just took ownership of a pretty nice looking Target Alpha that is functional but has a few issues. I have been reading a few of the posts and got a few items fixed. I am new to working on pinball machines but will be learning it seems.

I would like to address these issues. Can you give me an idea on the order of ease to address the problems and also give me some suggestions where to start to try address each issue? I don't want to try to tackle these all at once. I want to be able to continue to play the game with little victories.

I have the slow/inaccurate bonus issue and will look into that in the future.

It automatically plays 2 players (1 and 4) every game. I would like to get all four players working.

Also, if we play with it set to 5 balls, player 1 gets 5 balls, but player 4 only receives 4 balls. My kids have decided I should be player 4 only to give them a chance to win because of this. If I change it to 3 balls both players get 3 balls without an issue.

I see multiple posters that post pictures of schematics with different circuits highlighted. I have the schematics that came with the machine but they look pretty original. I am curious if there is a place to get digital copies of the schematics.

Thanks for the help. This site has already helped me address some issues.

#2 2 years ago

Welcome to Pinside and well done getting some things fixed by reading the forum.

The Player Unit in the head keeps track of the player and ball in play. There are lots of topics here that discuss how it works if you're curious including one I put together recently:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/animated-em-schematic-diagrams#post-6611500

You might also consider attending an online repair clinic either to listen in or to get live help with your game:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/an-em-pinball-online-repair-clinic

Finally, many schematic scans are available at IPDB.org. Notably absent are schematics from Gottlieb which are under copyright protection and available only as used originals or as hard copies from licensed resellers.

/Mark

#3 2 years ago

Thanks Mark. I will take a look at both. I don't know if I will be ready to join the online clinic. If connections are limited I might wait for the next session so I can be better prepared.

#4 2 years ago

Another thing you could do is fill in more info in your profile, specifically what city you live in. That might encourage someone local to you to help out.

Regarding digital copies of the schematics: what specific advantage are you seeking? Most of the "digital copies" out there are probably just scans of the paper schematics.
.................David Marston

#5 2 years ago

The gottlieb stuff is locked down pretty good, you probably won't find "digital copies" of a Target Alpha schematic. You can buy one for around $20 from Pinball Resource

845-473-7114.

Paper schematics are much easier to read/work with anyway.

#6 2 years ago

dmarston - I thought I made my location public but might have missed that. I am just South of the KC metro area. I would like to meet some local owners in the future for sure.

The reason for a digital copy of the schematic is so I could either print it out and then highlight the circuit I was trying to check. If I do this on my original I am sure to double up on highlighter colors before long. Or I could just have it up on my laptop and figure out a way to highlight the circuit on my laptop. I have saw multiple posts by howardr I think where he showed the circuit to troubleshoot and with it highlighted it was easier to find.

#7 2 years ago

I just realized I posted this in hangout. I meant to post it in tech. Please move if you feel it is appropriate.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from targetAlpha:

The reason for a digital copy of the schematic is so I could either print it out and then highlight the circuit I was trying to check. If I do this on my original I am sure to double up on highlighter colors before long.

Have you considered going to the FedEx Print Center and have them copy your original for you? They might even share a PDF copy of it with you.

#9 2 years ago

The schematic is copyright material. A reputable print shop will not copy it. Call PBR and order it. You will need an account with him for parts anyway. The schematic is a good first order. I’ve copied sections of my schematic for troubleshooting and highlight to my hearts content. Once done I toss them out. You may want to order bulbs and a ring kit to.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinball-owner?hl=silverstreak02 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.