Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by V4Vendetta
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Hi everybody!

I grew up playing pinball machines in my local arcade but hadn't played in ages. Was talking with a friend about a year ago, and he told me about the Texas Pinball Festival in March every year. I've gone to Pinballz Kingdom a couple of times, but most of their machines are broken. I took my kids to the festival this past year and got to play a bunch of new machines and relive my past, playing a lot of the games I grew up with. It was amazing seeing all of the games there and seeing so many people excited about arcade games. It definitely got me thinking about buying a game for my home.

After doing some research into new machines, I learned that Multimorphic was building new pinball machines pretty close to my house. I went over to the factory and spent a bunch of time on their machines. Wow - pinball has come a long way!

Long story short, I took delivery of a P3 about a month ago, and my whole family has been playing the heck out of it. Had my friend over this past weekend and he asked me what I was buying next. Said I had no plans, but he told me about this forum and said I should read about all of the new machines. Geez, some of you are crazy! 30, 40 machines in your homes? I couldn't even imagine. BUT, you all have me thinking... maybe I can fit a couple more in my gameroom. My kids play mostly Cannon Lagoon and ROCs, and I spend most of my time playing Lexi Lightspeed. What's another machine you think we all might enjoy?

#2 4 years ago

Maybe take your family to a pinball show and play a variety of games. So you know what is all out there.

LTG : )

#3 4 years ago

Without knowing the ages of the kids in your family or your budget, my go-to answer will always be WCS. Best family game I've owned.

#4 4 years ago

Oh yeah - my boys are 11 and 9 and my daughter is 6. Haha - I remember playing World Cup Soccer for hours and hours at a truck stop near my college.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from bean_:

Oh yeah - my boys are 11 and 9 and my daughter is 6. Haha - I remember playing World Cup Soccer for hours and hours at a truck stop near my college.

World Cup Soccer is a fun game and easy for non-pinheads to understand. Shooting the goal is always a blast. You might even consider an older SS game or even an EM game as the rules are simple and straightforward for the kids to understand. As an added bonus, if you find the right one they can be reasonably priced.

Your thread title says "what's next?". The only guarantee is that one game will always turn into more games. It's the nature of the addiction I guess.

#6 4 years ago

Welcome to the sickness, oh I mean hobby!. Any pinball is good pinball so whatever game comes next surely will appeal to all of you guys! My kids love playing all kind of pins but Earthshaker, Monster Bash, and Fish Tales get a lot of play!! You can’t go wrong with System 11s as they are generally reliable, “easy” to work on and fix, “relatively” affordable, and usually easy to play from all different skill levels...either way, welcome to the hobby and most of all enjoy every minute of it with your family

#7 4 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. Reliability is a good point. I'd definitely rather we spend our time playing games and not fixing them. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty when necessary, but hopefully I don't have to very much.

#8 4 years ago

A machine with one of the longest ball times is Lord of the Rings which makes it fun to play for kids.
    Since it is based on a children's story it should be fine for kids as well. Lots of people have seen the movies and a lot of the original sound bites are in there, making it attractive.
    Also there is so much to do in that game that it will stay fun for adults for a long time as well.
    The only disadvantage is it had lots of toys which means lots of things can break potentially. Stop by the specific thread to see if that is doable for you.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from T3quila:

A machine with one of the longest ball times is Lord of the Rings which makes it fun to play for kids.
    Since it is based on a children's story it should be fine for kids as well. Lots of people have seen the movies and a lot of the original sound bites are in there, making it attractive.
    Also there is so much to do in that game that it will stay fun for adults for a long time as well.
    The only disadvantage is it had lots of toys which means lots of things can break potentially. Stop by the specific thread to see if that is doable for you.

IMO they’re too young for LOTR, and it’s not an easy game to progress on unless you’re a pretty good player. I would recommend something fun to play with humor, like Monster Bash, Attack from Mars, etc.

Lloyd’s advice is the best, attend a show where there are a lot of games to sample, it will really help!

#10 4 years ago

I too think Lord of the Rings is a bit too mature for them right now. Something a little more silly would probably be better.

We did play a lot of games at the pinball festival last year. Just wasn't thinking about owning them back then. It's nice to hear from people with experience owning these games.

#11 4 years ago

I have a Mousin' Around here (just north of Dallas) that I am considering selling. It's a pretty good game, especially for kids (kind of a silly/cartoonish theme).

It works 100%, though it does have some small cosmetic issues. If you are interested (or end up in the area and want to see it), just let me know.

#12 4 years ago

Either Stern or Jersey Jack's Pirates of the Caribbean would be a solid choice for a family friendly pin.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

Without knowing the ages of the kids in your family or your budget, my go-to answer will always be WCS. Best family game I've owned.

Agreed. I love it and so does my 9 year old son and his friends. Great game with plenty of parts available and an affordable price.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from fisherdaman:

Either Stern or Jersey Jack's Pirates of the Caribbean would be a solid choice for a family friendly pin.

think that's a little pricey for a first time owner, don't ya think?

#15 4 years ago

With the age factor to consider,I would go for a GB,Pre,or a ST,Pre,good titles and fun play for the whole Family!!IMHO!!!!

#16 4 years ago

Take your kids to the pinballz on research. The machines are in much better condition than the buda or lake creek location. Also has some ticket games for the kids. But it’s like 100+ pins to play. It’s the only one that’s byob too.

I just got a guardians of the galaxy, my kids love it. go put some coin in it (well it all swipe card now) and select quill w a flipper before the first plunge. Immediate 2 ball first ball. My kids LOVE that they can get a free “shaky ball” (which is what my daughter calls multiball cuz of the shaker motors) every game.

#17 4 years ago

Bean,there's something else I would say;when you taught your kids to ride a bike,you didn't just put them on it and go!!! Teach them HOW to play pinball! How to catch and cradle the ball!! How to flipper pass!! Go over the rules and show them thats its a game,not just to bang around and get lucky!! Kids will tire of this when they have no direction and don't know what those flashing lights are trying to tell them!! Its like a board game ,but with better skill set,more FUN!!!AND if U don't know these simple facts,LEARN!! Get the CD, Pinball 101!!

#18 4 years ago

We did go to the Austin Pinballz location a few months ago. That was actually what pushed me to look at new machines like the P3. Probably half of the games we tried at Pinballz had problems bad enough that I felt like I was wasting my money and not having fun. I'm sure it must be hard to keep so many games running well, and that scared me out of considering an old game.

I've been reading some threads here, and it looks like people have a lot of problems with new machines too. Like I said, I don't mind getting my hands dirty, but hopefully I'm not buying problems somebody else couldn't fix.

Pinball 101? I'll check it out - thanks!

#19 4 years ago

No pinball is immune from parts breaking. None. Learn to tinker & fix. I’m a total electronics dummy - but I was able to completely tear apart & rebuild machines with all the great info online & help from other hobbyists.

#20 4 years ago

Good to know the support is there, but I'd still like to avoid a big project. I assume some machines are inherently more reliable than others? I'm reading threads about new machines having issues too. That's worrisome.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from bean_:

Good to know the support is there, but I'd still like to avoid a big project. I assume some machines are inherently more reliable than others? I'm reading threads about new machines having issues too. That's worrisome.

To echo what Rarehero said, all machines at some point are going to have problems whether big or small...albeit some are notoriously known for being “harder” to maintain i.e. TZ or STTNG...I too was not what you’d call mechanically inclined coming from a medical background, but have slowly figured things out from all the great people I’ve met in the hobby to all the awesome resources on PS here alone...it can certainly be intimidating at first but can be done! Good luck!

#22 4 years ago

I don't think there are machines that are inherently more reliable per say. If you are buying used game, I usually gauge the pin by looking at the seller's other machines. If other games seem pristine, than I wouldn't hesitate to buy. But if you are going NIB then they are usually trouble free. But regardless, all pins break down, it's inevitable.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinball-owner-what-s-next?hl=vabeachrunner4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.