(Topic ID: 65920)

New pinball manufacturer...Glow-in-the-dark Pinballs!

By BSavage

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 130 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by bjorg
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

globallsTeeONBLACK.jpg
Back-of-packaging.jpg
front-of-packaging.jpg
image-34.jpg
GIDball.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider viperrwk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 10 years ago

I applaud the OP for doing what he said he was going to do nine months ago (I assume modmypin belongs to him):

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-play-viper-night-drivin-with-the-glow-balls#post-576682

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-glow-in-the-dark-pinballs/page/2#post-1166233

A lot of people don't like VND because of the glos, specifically that the balls are "too bouncy," or "too slow." This is due to the fact that they weigh 3/4ths that of a regular pinball. A lot of people put regular balls in their VND because it offers a higher level of control:

Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

I Preferred play-n the pin w/ the Reg Metal ball's load'd in.. The Glow ball's were tooo slow..

Recognizing that the machine plays differently with these types of balls is important:

Quoted from goatdan:

I doubt I'll use them in too many other things - the difference in ball weight really does make them play differently - but I am stoked to get some for VND!

As I said to the OP nine months ago I will definitely get a couple sets of glos. I'll also probably get some fluorescents to have in a few other games for parties and such. I wish him the best of luck.

viperrwk

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

Question- Are these conductive like a regular pinball, or does the coating not conduct? I assume the latter. I ask because these would be perfect for Powerball replacement on Avatar LE. A bright blue Navi-Ball would be awesome, and they'd still be magnetic to interact with the magnet like regular balls.
I'd love to offer these at my booth at shows.
--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

Some type of coating over a metal core.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-glow-in-the-dark-pinballs/page/2#post-1165854

OP engineered it as a replacement for VND glo balls.

viperrwk

#27 10 years ago

The point of my post is that people should not expect to load a set of these balls into their machines and expect the machine to play the same as it does with regular carbon steel pinballs. With 3/4ths of the weight of a regular pinball (assuming the 60gms reported in the other thread is correct and that the engineering target was an original VND Glo) it *will* play very differently. There are not many people who have played VND with a full set of Glos and know what this is like. Those that have either like it for the different way it plays (goatdan, myself) or don't because they think it's slow (BR) or too bouncy or too random. I could try and interpret what BR meant with his comment but I'm sure he can speak for himself. (Personally I do not think it is slow at all with the Glos and in fact can be too fast at times.)

As I said, I'm glad the OP (BSavage) made these (though for some strange reason he seems to want to separate himself from ModMyPin in his posting language) and they are a fun addition to put in certain machines in certain situations. Will they go in all my machines and live there all the time? No.

Best of luck to the OP. Looking forward to when I can buy a few sets of these.

viperrwk

#71 10 years ago

How come no TM on the t-shirt?

Nicely played. Be sure to give GS a set at Expo.

viperrwk

#74 10 years ago

GS = Gary Stern.

Should probably get a set to Jack as well.

viperrwk

#86 10 years ago

I don't have a problem with $60 for a set of Glos. When NOS Glos were available from distos they were $5 a ball but that was over a decade ago. Given how these glow and inflation, the price seems reasonable for VND owners.

For those with 5+ ball machines, always good to have a spare in case one ball in particular goes bad and you can simply pop a new one in.

As for dealing with GS and JG, volume is good - they probably don't want to be in this business anyway.

viperrwk

#101 10 years ago

GID = glow in the dark.

viperrwk

#128 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

So I played the Viper ND with the glow balls at Expo, and one thing that I did notice is once the balls pick up a little dirt it's really easy to see the seam around the circumference of the ball. Just an FYI.

Makes me wonder how many games had been played on them by the time you got to it. So the question is are they like this:
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Quoted from goatdan:

The key with the original Glo-Balls, and I'm curious to see how these hold up, is that after about 25-50 plays, the balls start getting the rubber attached to them, and they start bouncing instead of actually rolling places. Once that happens, there is no denying - the game SUCKS. If you can make it so this doesn't happen and make it so that the game uses the 'metal ball' settings, it's ridiculously fast.

Or perhaps the machine needed a good shop...

viperrwk

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newtown, CT
6,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
$ 18.95
$ 18.95
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider viperrwk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinball-manufacturerglow-in-the-dark-pinballs?tu=viperrwk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.