(Topic ID: 65920)

New pinball manufacturer...Glow-in-the-dark Pinballs!

By BSavage

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 130 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by bjorg
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

globallsTeeONBLACK.jpg
Back-of-packaging.jpg
front-of-packaging.jpg
image-34.jpg
GIDball.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bsavage.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Check out ModMyPin.com for their first set of products...finally a replacement pinball for the Viper Night Drivin'. It really glows in the dark! Looks like they are also making fluorescent color pinballs as well for all machines. Can't wait to see these in Chicago!

GIDball.jpgGIDball.jpg

#3 10 years ago

Actually they do. The ball is still steel. What we saw was worked in a Cirque, worked in a Drac. Ball didn't work well with the jump rope on a CP. So, kind of machine dependent.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

I applaud the OP for doing what he said he was going to do nine months ago (I assume modmypin belongs to him):
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-play-viper-night-drivin-with-the-glow-balls#post-576682
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-glow-in-the-dark-pinballs/page/2#post-1166233
A lot of people don't like VND because of the glos, specifically that the balls are "too bouncy," or "too slow." This is due to the fact that they weigh 3/4ths that of a regular pinball. A lot of people put regular balls in their VND because it offers a higher level of control:

Recognizing that the machine plays differently with these types of balls is important:

As I said to the OP nine months ago I will definitely get a couple sets of glos. I'll also probably get some fluorescents to have in a few other games for parties and such. I wish him the best of luck.
viperrwk

There is nobody named OP involved with the project....

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Look at your Avatar, see the OP in the upper left hand corner. It's you!
OP= Original Poster

Doh, the way it was worded... as I know there have been a few people "planning" on doing this.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Who all are part of this company?
The language of the original post, followed by it sounding like Bsavage is the developer, followed by pinfantexas being part of this make it a bit confusing. It would be nice to understand who is representing the company here.

Here's my story: I'm new to the hobby, got in about 2 years ago. My real job: I am the CEO of Fun Publications, Inc. We have run the G.I. Joe Collectors' Club (GIJoeCon.com) under license from Hasbro for the past 15 years. We also run the Transformers Collectors' Club (TransformersClub.com) under license from Hasbro for the past 9 years. This means besides the clubs, we run 2 international collectors conventions each year as well (GIJoeCon.com and BotCon.com). So, we make over 50 exclusive toys a year for these clubs.

I was at an arcade auction about a year ago and my friend bought a machine I had never seen (which doesn't mean much) called Viper Night Drivin', looked kind of cool, but had these weird dirty yellow balls (I think there were only 3). He told me that no one had ever remade these balls. And when he has seen them on the Evilbay that they go for around $100. Hmmm...wonder if my guys could do this economically. So, I borrowed a ball from my friend and sent it for evaluation. My factory rep said that he had come up with a way to do this and sourced the original steel balls. Size and weight were crucial.

Three sample rounds later and a change to the next harder material up the scale got us to the balls. Now, what to make... how about GID? AND how about colors for other machines? Never been done. Wouldn't it be cool to have balls that match the colors in your machines? Will people like them?... don't know. It's a fair amount of cash layout to experiment but, could be really fun for people and it's a mod that does't do anything to your machine.

So I'm taking the gamble.

Also I thought, wouldn't it be cool to have a half white half black ball so it would "flash" when you play. When we tried that I realized that the balls skid more than they roll. That's why you get wear on the PF. If they rolled all the time it would not be a big deal. Well, that did't work, back to solid colors.

That's how all of this got started. I saw a need, worked out the production and took the risk.

What else could we make? Pretty much anything that makes sense to take the risk. We know how to make lots and lots of toys as well as sculpting and graphic work. Maybe we will make custom mods/toys for machines but, for now, one thing at a time.

Thanks for the read,

Brian

#30 10 years ago

As to the speed question. One thing we found was that the first sample they sent us was a dark blue (not a color we are making) and in some machines they were so fast we could not see the ball. So we think the bright colors helps this out.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I assume your booth will be labeled "modmypin".

I also have an idea for a mod I would liek to run by you in person. Sounds like you have the perfect skillset and may be interested?

Yes, we will have a Viper in the booth. I'm putting it on a truck today.

Come on by! We have all weekend to talk!

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

The key with the original Glo-Balls, and I'm curious to see how these hold up, is that after about 25-50 plays, the balls start getting the rubber attached to them, and they start bouncing instead of actually rolling places. Once that happens, there is no denying - the game SUCKS. If you can make it so this doesn't happen and make it so that the game uses the 'metal ball' settings, it's ridiculously fast.
They will not play *anything* like what normal balls will play like. VND was designed specifically for this. I don't know how many other games I'd personally stick them in, but for VND it's *perfect*.

We have not seen this happen at all. The original ones (we don't really know what they were made of) are not nearly as hard as these balls are. If you notice the material the old balls were made in was matte, ours are gloss. We tested 2 different materials and the GID balls at the show are v.3 of the glow powder. I don't have the machine now to do another video with this improved glowing version. We can do it at the show. The version of balls in the video is 2.0.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from pinmods:

The weight of these might put off some people but I think they would be awesome in all the places where a captive ball is used.
With the amount of light that is in a pinball machine, do these really even get a chance to show off their glow? It's not like a pinball machine is pitch-black.
I would more like to see colored pinballs instead. Any chance for those? (red, blue, yellow etc)

We have several colors coming out, go to ModMyPin.com There is also a yellow that is not shown that is color matched to the original Viper game (not GID but fluorescent just like the originals).

Quoted from someoneelse:

Will these also trigger Eddy-Switches? I mean reliably?
If i see what a hassle it is to adjust the eddy in the trough of my TZ with normal metal balls i would assume it will be real pain with these Glo-Balls?

So far we have not adjusted anything in the machines they have been in. So, I would say you would have to try them out if you think it's a good fit for your machine.

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from RTR:

Don't kill the half white half black ball idea yet. I think that would be pretty cool.
What about soccer balls for my WCS94 or colored golf balls for my NGG?

Actually, that's what we are working on now. How to paint the ball and keep the paint from migrating. My first test looked like you danced on my playfied in your black dress shoes! But it all waxed out. We are testing automobile clear coat in the balls. If it works for the PF, should work for the balls... we will see.

#56 10 years ago
Quoted from pinballpete:

Would it be possible to use a heavier metal core so that it weighs the same as a regular pinball? Changing gameplay seems to be the only deterrent to sticking it in a normal game like Tron.

We are also searching for this. But as in all products, we had to say, let's start with this and see how it goes. I don't know if we will find the right weight/size.

#57 10 years ago

Here are some packaging pictures. They will come 4 to a package in this "egg carton" style case:

front-of-packaging.jpgfront-of-packaging.jpg

Back-of-packaging.jpgBack-of-packaging.jpg

#64 10 years ago

In case you have not seen it at our site, here are the free T-shirts we will be giving away at the Expo for anyone who purchases 2 sets of balls.

globallsTeeONBLACK.jpggloballsTeeONBLACK.jpg

#72 10 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

How come no TM on the t-shirt?
Nicely played. Be sure to give GS a set at Expo.
viperrwk

You just can't see the TM. Who is GS?

#73 10 years ago
Quoted from ktrain315:

wait, do the colored balls fluoresce under black light?

Yes. But they don't really glow like the Glo-Balls. Remember that they are reflective. We will have a Viper at the Expo as well as a box with Black Light strips so you can see the effect.

#75 10 years ago

We have decided on the pricing:

The balls come in sets of 4. Please see the above packaging.

The GID balls are $60 per set.

The Fluorescent balls are $48 per set.

Please remember that these are very small production runs and they are not cheap to make.

If you purchase 2 sets at the show, you will receive a free t-shirt while supplies last (L-XL-2X).

Thanks for all the support and kind words you guys have expressed above! I appreciate your support in this new project.

Brian

#78 10 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

Question, since many/most modern multi-ball games use (5) ball. Would you offer a (5) ball set so we don't have to buy two sets just to be complete? Many people won't be willing to buy two sets just to get the 5th ball. This may be the only thing preventing me from buying these is the size of the sets. Rather, a "Per Ball" price would be better. That way we can buy the colors we need for our 1, 3 and 5 ball machines.

At this time we tried to pick a number that would work for most folks as machines are all over the place for ball numbers. I see 5 as an issue, 3, not an issue, 6 not an issue. Maybe down the road but right now we are looking at selling the sets of 4. When we get more in, we may allow you to get a set and then "add on". It's hard to come up with packaging that meets all needs.

#79 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Do you expect them to get cheaper after the first small run is sold out and you make a bigger run?

This is the pricing for the "bigger run". In the world of MFG this is still a small run. If we could run 20,000 sets (80,000) balls, that would be a cheaper run. Unfortunately the market is just not big enough. I wish it were not so. Boutique MFG is difficult as the molds cost the same if you are running 200 or 200,000. Plus in small scale there is a lot of waste product to get the press up to speed. If you were able to defray that over more items, they get cheaper.

#89 10 years ago
Quoted from Amarillopinball:

Would these leave yellow colored scuff marks all over my playfield? :/

Won't leave any scuff marks. They are harder than the PF.

#90 10 years ago
Quoted from Sharon:

Oh, fine. Hmph. Free shirt if you buy two sets AT THE EXPO. Not everyone is close to Chicago. There really needs to be a "create your own package" for these anyway. FOUR to a box? I have two one ball machines, and three three ball machines. I would LIKE to be able to buy six blue, one green, one orange, and I haven't decided yet what would look good in FIRE! ...too bad there isn't a red.
Oh well.

We tried the red but it looked so close to the orange, there was no need for it. If it goes the other way, it starts to look pink.

#91 10 years ago

Thanks for all the feed back. That's why I'm on here and going to the EXPO.

#98 10 years ago
Quoted from Russo121:

Should offer some for sale here.
Seems a bit of a c*ck tease showing up and offering them, only to tell folk that stock is for expo only.

Hi Russo121,

We only have 140 sets that we could air freight in from the mfg before the show. They are running the larger part of the order as soon as we get feed back from you guys at the EXPO. However, they will come surface shipment which is a 4 week transit time.

I wish the timing was better!

#109 10 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

Will you guys be taking Credit cards or is this A Cash/Check thing?
Need to plan ahead

Credit Cards, Visa, MC, Disc, Cash, Travelers Checks, no personal or company checks.

#110 10 years ago
Quoted from Jags:

Can you offer a mixed color 4 Pack? Or better yet sell them separately as I would like to buy 5. One of each color.

Not this weekend but we are looking into this for the online sales. This is why we are at the show and posting here, to get feedback.

Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newtown, CT
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 18.95
$ 18.95
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bsavage.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinball-manufacturerglow-in-the-dark-pinballs?tu=bsavage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.