(Topic ID: 65920)

New pinball manufacturer...Glow-in-the-dark Pinballs!

By BSavage

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 130 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by bjorg
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

globallsTeeONBLACK.jpg
Back-of-packaging.jpg
front-of-packaging.jpg
image-34.jpg
GIDball.jpg

There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 5 years ago

Check out ModMyPin.com for their first set of products...finally a replacement pinball for the Viper Night Drivin'. It really glows in the dark! Looks like they are also making fluorescent color pinballs as well for all machines. Can't wait to see these in Chicago!

GIDball.jpg

#2 5 years ago

Really Nice!

I guess they wont work with games with magnets?

#3 5 years ago

Actually they do. The ball is still steel. What we saw was worked in a Cirque, worked in a Drac. Ball didn't work well with the jump rope on a CP. So, kind of machine dependent.

#4 5 years ago

That is one of the cooler mods I have seen. If it is steel though how do they get the color to stay on? Some kind of coating I am sure, but how does it not scuff off?

#5 5 years ago

Ok I'm in and will be at Expo. If modmypin guys are reading this contact me. I'll pay in advance and pick up at Expo.

I have globalls in my Tron LE but these look better. Gimee gimeee

#6 5 years ago

image-34.jpgThose look better than these originals to me

#7 5 years ago

What will be the price?

#8 5 years ago

Sounds cool indeed, thanks for sharing the info with us.

#9 5 years ago

Ooh. A glowing green pinball might look really good in my Haunted House.

#10 5 years ago

Cool. Now we can beat our glow in the dark balls against our glow in the dark rubbers.

#11 5 years ago

That might look good in BBB.

#12 5 years ago

Hellz yeah,,, in my glow under blacklight EATPM!!!!

#14 5 years ago

In the other thread it was more a discussion about these pinballs, this thread is clearly marked as a new pinball manufacturer product along with the info where to order. I see the moderator commented here and didn't have an issue so why should you or anyone else. Just applaud these folks for being creative and offering more options to the hobby community rather then posting unnecessary remarks that lead to drama and derailing the topic.

WTG guys awesome work, I'll be ordering a set or two shortly.

#15 5 years ago

Just trying to help out (often people may start a second thread because they are not familiar with how to find a previous thread they started).

Mods typically don't like multiple repeat threads (TOS says no spamming or something to the similar) and can help the OP out to combine them since they cover the same product and are advertising/ answering questions twice over in 2 threads.

Also worth pointing out that the first post in BOTH threads is pretty much identical information.

#16 5 years ago

I applaud the OP for doing what he said he was going to do nine months ago (I assume modmypin belongs to him):

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-play-viper-night-drivin-with-the-glow-balls#post-576682

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-glow-in-the-dark-pinballs/page/2#post-1166233

A lot of people don't like VND because of the glos, specifically that the balls are "too bouncy," or "too slow." This is due to the fact that they weigh 3/4ths that of a regular pinball. A lot of people put regular balls in their VND because it offers a higher level of control:

Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

I Preferred play-n the pin w/ the Reg Metal ball's load'd in.. The Glow ball's were tooo slow..

Recognizing that the machine plays differently with these types of balls is important:

Quoted from goatdan:

I doubt I'll use them in too many other things - the difference in ball weight really does make them play differently - but I am stoked to get some for VND!

As I said to the OP nine months ago I will definitely get a couple sets of glos. I'll also probably get some fluorescents to have in a few other games for parties and such. I wish him the best of luck.

viperrwk

#17 5 years ago

Question- Are these conductive like a regular pinball, or does the coating not conduct? I assume the latter. I ask because these would be perfect for Powerball replacement on Avatar LE. A bright blue Navi-Ball would be awesome, and they'd still be magnetic to interact with the magnet like regular balls.

I'd love to offer these at my booth at shows.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

Question- Are these conductive like a regular pinball, or does the coating not conduct? I assume the latter. I ask because these would be perfect for Powerball replacement on Avatar LE. A bright blue Navi-Ball would be awesome, and they'd still be magnetic to interact with the magnet like regular balls.
I'd love to offer these at my booth at shows.
--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

Some type of coating over a metal core.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-glow-in-the-dark-pinballs/page/2#post-1165854

OP engineered it as a replacement for VND glo balls.

viperrwk

#19 5 years ago

I am curious how the balls will behave in a TZ. Will the machines eddy sensors detect them or will it mistake them for a power ball? Also, are there any future plans to manufacture these in a heavier weight (closer to the weight of a standard pinball)? Awesome work, I will get a set regardless.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

I applaud the OP for doing what he said he was going to do nine months ago (I assume modmypin belongs to him):
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-play-viper-night-drivin-with-the-glow-balls#post-576682
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-glow-in-the-dark-pinballs/page/2#post-1166233
A lot of people don't like VND because of the glos, specifically that the balls are "too bouncy," or "too slow." This is due to the fact that they weigh 3/4ths that of a regular pinball. A lot of people put regular balls in their VND because it offers a higher level of control:

Recognizing that the machine plays differently with these types of balls is important:

As I said to the OP nine months ago I will definitely get a couple sets of glos. I'll also probably get some fluorescents to have in a few other games for parties and such. I wish him the best of luck.
viperrwk

There is nobody named OP involved with the project....

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from BSavage:

There is nobody named OP involved with the project....

Look at your avatar, see the OP in the upper left hand corner. It's you!

OP= Original Poster

#22 5 years ago

Okay we need a mod that maybe can help string this all into one post.

Quoted from viperrwk:

The Glow ball's were tooo slow..

Black Rose trust me when I say these are not slow at all I had a chance to play with them in metallica and it rocked around that game plus they all work with the magnets. I also did a quick test regarding BSD, NF and TAF worked just as well too. hopefully this answers Borygard question too.

That is a reference to the original poster which is you

I would recommend coming to EXPO to check them out for themselves and hopefully people who are bringing games to the show will let us put these balls into their game to show them off.

#23 5 years ago

Who all are part of this company?

The language of the original post, followed by it sounding like Bsavage is the developer, followed by pinfantexas being part of this make it a bit confusing. It would be nice to understand who is representing the company here.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Look at your Avatar, see the OP in the upper left hand corner. It's you!
OP= Original Poster

Doh, the way it was worded... as I know there have been a few people "planning" on doing this.

#25 5 years ago

Someone set me up a pink one for Future Spa!

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

The language of the original post, followed by it sounding like Bsavage is the developer, followed by pinfantexas being part of this make it a bit confusing. It would be nice to understand who is representing the company here.

Here's my story: I'm new to the hobby, got in about 2 years ago. My real job: I am the CEO of Fun Publications, Inc. We have run the G.I. Joe Collectors' Club (GIJoeCon.com) under license from Hasbro for the past 15 years. We also run the Transformers Collectors' Club (TransformersClub.com) under license from Hasbro for the past 9 years. This means besides the clubs, we run 2 international collectors conventions each year as well (GIJoeCon.com and BotCon.com). So, we make over 50 exclusive toys a year for these clubs.

I was at an arcade auction about a year ago and my friend bought a machine I had never seen (which doesn't mean much) called Viper Night Drivin', looked kind of cool, but had these weird dirty yellow balls (I think there were only 3). He told me that no one had ever remade these balls. And when he has seen them on the Evilbay that they go for around $100. Hmmm...wonder if my guys could do this economically. So, I borrowed a ball from my friend and sent it for evaluation. My factory rep said that he had come up with a way to do this and sourced the original steel balls. Size and weight were crucial.

Three sample rounds later and a change to the next harder material up the scale got us to the balls. Now, what to make... how about GID? AND how about colors for other machines? Never been done. Wouldn't it be cool to have balls that match the colors in your machines? Will people like them?... don't know. It's a fair amount of cash layout to experiment but, could be really fun for people and it's a mod that does't do anything to your machine.

So I'm taking the gamble.

Also I thought, wouldn't it be cool to have a half white half black ball so it would "flash" when you play. When we tried that I realized that the balls skid more than they roll. That's why you get wear on the PF. If they rolled all the time it would not be a big deal. Well, that did't work, back to solid colors.

That's how all of this got started. I saw a need, worked out the production and took the risk.

What else could we make? Pretty much anything that makes sense to take the risk. We know how to make lots and lots of toys as well as sculpting and graphic work. Maybe we will make custom mods/toys for machines but, for now, one thing at a time.

Thanks for the read,

Brian

#27 5 years ago

The point of my post is that people should not expect to load a set of these balls into their machines and expect the machine to play the same as it does with regular carbon steel pinballs. With 3/4ths of the weight of a regular pinball (assuming the 60gms reported in the other thread is correct and that the engineering target was an original VND Glo) it *will* play very differently. There are not many people who have played VND with a full set of Glos and know what this is like. Those that have either like it for the different way it plays (goatdan, myself) or don't because they think it's slow (BR) or too bouncy or too random. I could try and interpret what BR meant with his comment but I'm sure he can speak for himself. (Personally I do not think it is slow at all with the Glos and in fact can be too fast at times.)

As I said, I'm glad the OP (BSavage) made these (though for some strange reason he seems to want to separate himself from ModMyPin in his posting language) and they are a fun addition to put in certain machines in certain situations. Will they go in all my machines and live there all the time? No.

Best of luck to the OP. Looking forward to when I can buy a few sets of these.

viperrwk

#28 5 years ago

Awesome man, I have a guy picking up some for me at the expo, can't wait to try them out.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

How I play into this is? I sold Brian a pinball machine became friends had way too many phone calls about pinball and then he asked me about these balls which I thought was a great idea and have been testing the balls in my games.

Quoted from Frax:

Someone set me up a pink one for Future Spa!

Don't Frax as soon as Brian knows what the price will be and after the Expo I'm sure the website will be updated with the products for sale.

#30 5 years ago

As to the speed question. One thing we found was that the first sample they sent us was a dark blue (not a color we are making) and in some machines they were so fast we could not see the ball. So we think the bright colors helps this out.

#31 5 years ago

I guess my question is do they have to be lighter? Could you fill them with osmium or tungsten or something? Probably utterly impractical and expensive, even assuming those were dense enough to make up for the lower volume.

Because while I love the idea I'm not sure I'd want to radically change my games with a different weight ball.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

(assuming the 60gms reported in the other thread is correct and that the engineering target was an original VND Glo) it *will* play very differently.

And your correct and I don't think Savage is trying to hide that fact.

Quoted from viperrwk:

Will they go in all my machines and live there all the time? No.

Again your correct this will not work in all the games out there, example The Champion Pub, as soon as you get up to the jump rope the ball flies off with the first jump its just too light.

We are putting a list together that we know they will work in regarding the games toys and features but there are a lot of games out there so maybe my wife will let me buy some more games

Some people will love them, some will hate them. I am just glad someone stepped up to fill a need in the pinball community that fixes a problem for other Viper owners as well as adding a new product to the hobby.

viperrwk, I hope this address's your concern about this product and Brian or myself will try to answer anyones questions regarding the product you all might have.

Looking forward to meeting you all at Expo if your going, now back to my real job that isn't pinball related

#33 5 years ago

Tungsten is a beetch to work with, and extremely brittle to boot..it's kind of like tempered glass in a way.. it's super hard and dense, but if you hit it just right, it shatters. I lost a chip out of my wedding ring when it flew off my finger and landed on some tile, and you can't "reforge" tungsten in a repairable method...the whole thing has to be melted down and recast. =|

#34 5 years ago

Thanks for the info BSavage, I will probably pick up a set at the Expo, if any are left because I get there on Friday.

I went to the JoeCon a couple years ago when it was here in KC. It was a great time! I hope you bring it back here

#35 5 years ago

Thanks for letting ua all know how you are all involved and VERY COOL!!!

I am really looking forward to seeing these and hoping that they are within my budget I would love to try them out. In particular I want to try them in TAF (GID), FT (Awesome Orange), BK2K (white), and RFM (White or GID).

I assume your booth will be labeled "modmypin".

I also have an idea for a mod I would liek to run by you in person. Sounds like you have the perfect skillset and may be interested?

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

Those that have either like it for the different way it plays (goatdan, myself) or don't because they think it's slow (BR) or too bouncy or too random. I could try and interpret what BR meant with his comment but I'm sure he can speak for himself. (Personally I do not think it is slow at all with the Glos and in fact can be too fast at times.)

The key with the original Glo-Balls, and I'm curious to see how these hold up, is that after about 25-50 plays, the balls start getting the rubber attached to them, and they start bouncing instead of actually rolling places. Once that happens, there is no denying - the game SUCKS. If you can make it so this doesn't happen and make it so that the game uses the 'metal ball' settings, it's ridiculously fast.

They will not play *anything* like what normal balls will play like. VND was designed specifically for this. I don't know how many other games I'd personally stick them in, but for VND it's *perfect*.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I assume your booth will be labeled "modmypin".

I also have an idea for a mod I would liek to run by you in person. Sounds like you have the perfect skillset and may be interested?

Yes, we will have a Viper in the booth. I'm putting it on a truck today.

Come on by! We have all weekend to talk!

#38 5 years ago

sweet. never played a VND. I will stop over and am looking forward to it.

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

The key with the original Glo-Balls, and I'm curious to see how these hold up, is that after about 25-50 plays, the balls start getting the rubber attached to them, and they start bouncing instead of actually rolling places. Once that happens, there is no denying - the game SUCKS. If you can make it so this doesn't happen and make it so that the game uses the 'metal ball' settings, it's ridiculously fast.
They will not play *anything* like what normal balls will play like. VND was designed specifically for this. I don't know how many other games I'd personally stick them in, but for VND it's *perfect*.

We have not seen this happen at all. The original ones (we don't really know what they were made of) are not nearly as hard as these balls are. If you notice the material the old balls were made in was matte, ours are gloss. We tested 2 different materials and the GID balls at the show are v.3 of the glow powder. I don't have the machine now to do another video with this improved glowing version. We can do it at the show. The version of balls in the video is 2.0.

#40 5 years ago

The weight of these might put off some people but I think they would be awesome in all the places where a captive ball is used.

With the amount of light that is in a pinball machine, do these really even get a chance to show off their glow? It's not like a pinball machine is pitch-black.

I would more like to see colored pinballs instead. Any chance for those? (red, blue, yellow etc)

#41 5 years ago

Will these also trigger Eddy-Switches? I mean reliably?

If i see what a hassle it is to adjust the eddy in the trough of my TZ with normal metal balls i would assume it will be real pain with these Glo-Balls?

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmods:

The weight of these might put off some people but I think they would be awesome in all the places where a captive ball is used.
With the amount of light that is in a pinball machine, do these really even get a chance to show off their glow? It's not like a pinball machine is pitch-black.
I would more like to see colored pinballs instead. Any chance for those? (red, blue, yellow etc)

We have several colors coming out, go to ModMyPin.com There is also a yellow that is not shown that is color matched to the original Viper game (not GID but fluorescent just like the originals).

Quoted from someoneelse:

Will these also trigger Eddy-Switches? I mean reliably?
If i see what a hassle it is to adjust the eddy in the trough of my TZ with normal metal balls i would assume it will be real pain with these Glo-Balls?

So far we have not adjusted anything in the machines they have been in. So, I would say you would have to try them out if you think it's a good fit for your machine.

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

So he will sell maybe 20 -30 sets? Not many people own this game - he's gonna be shooting for a pretty small market. Hey I made a pinball pun

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

20 -30 sets?

There is more then 30 vipers out there ipdb has the production run of 1,100 games, but I guess we have to wait and see what happens.

#45 5 years ago

I have been doing testing on a set of color prototype balls. I know some had concerns with compatibility with machines (triggering switches, sensors, and etc). So far, in limited testing (Cyclone, Dracula, StarWars), I have had no issues with balls triggering switches and optos.

The balls have held up well to testing, putting some balls through at least 30+ full game cycles. The coating on the balls is extremely hard, and holds up well. It does get marked from rubbers on some colors (of balls), but a quick wipe removes the residue. The balls are slightly lighter as stated above, so the player will need to make allowances for its change in weight. I have posted a few videos on YouTube for those interested.

Dracula Mist Multi-ball only:

Dracula game play:

Cyclone game play:

#46 5 years ago

Can I hear the ball rolling in Cyclone? Sounds odd, like a flat spot/divet in the ball. Maybe just the lighter ball rolling different.

They look really cool and F A S T !!!!

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

So he will sell maybe 20 -30 sets? Not many people own this game - he's gonna be shooting for a pretty small market. Hey I made a pinball pun

Considering people were paying more than $100 / ball on VND balls before, I would be surprised if he doesn't sell quite a bit more than that. Hell, I'm in for a set or two depending on the price because without them, VND is a ticking time bomb - once one of the balls goes, it's insane to find them again - so this will more or less future proof me for that.

And making them actually glow means that they will do what was originally intended.

Besides that, there are a LOT of people who like moding their pins with stuff like this, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them in lots of different games quickly. Personally, I think that RFM is another definite candidate.

#48 5 years ago

i think it's a cool idea, but looking at the ball going on the playfield just seems weird, looks like ping pong.

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Can I hear the ball rolling in Cyclone? Sounds odd, like a flat spot/divet in the ball. Maybe just the lighter ball rolling different.
They look really cool and F A S T !!!!

The balls do make a slightly different sound. But, I cant see a flat spot/divet that would cause this. I think this is just the nature of the coated ball. If there was any interference it would impact the speed, and as the video shows these balls are fast. No problems with slowing game play down.

The colors look great, and having a green ball on Dracula for Mist is a nice touch.

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from BrianZ:

The balls do make a slightly different sound.

It sounds like VND sound versus regular ol' sound, really. Dang Hilton, when you were here, how in the heck did I let you leave without playing VND?!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
2,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lithia Springs, GA
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 400.00
Boards
Great American Pinball
$ 7.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 17.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
€ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Multigame
Electronics
nvram.weebly.com
$ 139.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 10.00
$ 199.99
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 17.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
BK Pinball
There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside