You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20181105_201403 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181105_201450 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181105_201501 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181105_201602 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider herg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 5 years ago

The transistors on the OCD board are set up in two matrices, just like the game's driver board. The difference is that the OCD board runs the matrix at a different rate and does PWM stuff to make the dimming work better with LEDs.

Have you tried taking the OCD out of the loop to see if the game can turn those bulbs off in stock configuration?

You are right about the transistors, both on the driver board and on the OCD. If other lamps in a column or row do turn off, that proves that the transistor that controls that column or row is working.

2 weeks later
#5 5 years ago

I have not received an email. Perhaps it got lost along the way.

There was a batch of Capcom LED OCD where the board assembly house installed the LEDs backward. They will not light, but also will not cause any problems. I sold these at a discount.

If the transistors are getting hot, there is almost certainly a high current path through them, and since the fuses aren't blowing, it's not the normal path. It would take much more than 4A to make those transistors to get "mega" hot.

Could you take a picture of the installation so that we could check for anything obvious; an installation issue, a short somewhere, etc?

#8 5 years ago

The installation looks OK.

The lamps you mention having issues with are below, I think. The descriptions from the manual seem to differ from the playfield a bit.

16,Miraculous Save ***
26,MATRA Wand Power ***
61,SHAMAN 1 Sword ***
62,SHAMAN 2 Snake ***
63,SHAMAN 3 Magic ***
64,SHAMAN Face ***
65,Encore ***

Based on that, I would first suspect an issue with matrix A, column 6, but in that case, I would suspect these would show symptoms as well:
66,GI 9 A&B
67,NOST 1 Spoon
68,NOST 2 Morph

The two that stay on share row 6, so I'd take a close look at that as well. Maybe try removing the bulb from lamp 66 (GI 9 A&B), though it might be hard to know which bulb that is.

My normal method of troubleshooting lamp matrix issues is to disconnect the playfield cabling and use my Siegecraft lamp matrix test board. You don't really need that board to do the same test, though. This page describes how to test with a jumper and bulb. Granted, it's describing WPC, but it's still relevant to both Capcom stock and the LED OCD outputs.

https://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/repair-guides/148-lamp-matrix-theory-and-troubleshooting

Also, I may miss posts here, so a PM or email would be more reliable. You mention sending an email that I've not seen, however, so maybe it's best to stick to PM.

#11 5 years ago

Awesome, I'm glad you found it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfields
Mod Magic!

6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 209.00
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Martin, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

8,100 (OBO)
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider herg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinball-magic-owner-lamp-matrix-issues?tu=herg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.