Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by herg
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20181105_201403 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181105_201450 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181105_201501 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181105_201602 (resized).jpg

#1 29 days ago

Hey guys, just acquired a PM last week. It has the OCD board installed with LEDs. Here are my issues:

1. Two of the lights are permanently on (Miraculous Save and Power change). They flicker but never turn off completely.
2. Shaman lights flicker and stay on sometimes when they aren't supposed to.
3. Encore light stays on and flickers during game play, but not in attract mode.

I have controlled the OCD board with a computer, and dimming the lights with the board settings does not seem to help.

I have checked the double matrix in hopes of finding some sort of pattern. I can't seem to find a correlation with the exception that Miraculous Save and Power change are in the same row, if I remember. However, the other lights in that row do not have this issue.

I have tested and replaced a few diodes where I thought the problem might be coming from, but the diodes tested fine out of circuit. I'm assuming that because rows and columns have lamps that are functioning properly, it is not a transistor on the driver board. That being said, there are transistors on the OCD board, and I have no idea how that board works.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm completely new to Capcom and the OCD board.

#2 29 days ago

The transistors on the OCD board are set up in two matrices, just like the game's driver board. The difference is that the OCD board runs the matrix at a different rate and does PWM stuff to make the dimming work better with LEDs.

Have you tried taking the OCD out of the loop to see if the game can turn those bulbs off in stock configuration?

You are right about the transistors, both on the driver board and on the OCD. If other lamps in a column or row do turn off, that proves that the transistor that controls that column or row is working.

#3 27 days ago
Quoted from herg:

The transistors on the OCD board are set up in two matrices, just like the game's driver board. The difference is that the OCD board runs the matrix at a different rate and does PWM stuff to make the dimming work better with LEDs.
Have you tried taking the OCD out of the loop to see if the game can turn those bulbs off in stock configuration?
You are right about the transistors, both on the driver board and on the OCD. If other lamps in a column or row do turn off, that proves that the transistor that controls that column or row is working.

Thanks for the reply. I will take the board out and report back.

2 weeks later
#4 9 days ago

Well, I finally had time to take the board out. There seemed to potentially be an improvement, but it was hard to tell as the lights go completely bonkers without the board. I replaced the few lamps that were staying on with incandescents, and they work fine with or without the board.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I do not have any of the little LEDs on the board lighting up, and the board starts to give off a burnt electonics smell after it's one for a while. The transistors are giving off mega heat, but the fuses are fine. It's strange because it seems like it is malfunctioning, yet I can connect a computer to it and adjust individual bulbs just fine...

I emailed the OCD manufacturer, but if you guys know anything that might be helpful, I'd be very thankful.

Cheers.

#5 9 days ago

I have not received an email. Perhaps it got lost along the way.

There was a batch of Capcom LED OCD where the board assembly house installed the LEDs backward. They will not light, but also will not cause any problems. I sold these at a discount.

If the transistors are getting hot, there is almost certainly a high current path through them, and since the fuses aren't blowing, it's not the normal path. It would take much more than 4A to make those transistors to get "mega" hot.

Could you take a picture of the installation so that we could check for anything obvious; an installation issue, a short somewhere, etc?

#6 8 days ago

Ha! I totally didn't notice that you were the manufacturer. I guess I should look at names more closely. My apologies!

Anyway, here is the install:

IMG_20181105_201403 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181105_201450 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181105_201501 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181105_201602 (resized).jpg

Thanks so much for your help!

#7 7 days ago

*Bump* Herg, did you get a chance to check the pix?

Thanks!

#8 6 days ago

The installation looks OK.

The lamps you mention having issues with are below, I think. The descriptions from the manual seem to differ from the playfield a bit.

16,Miraculous Save ***
26,MATRA Wand Power ***
61,SHAMAN 1 Sword ***
62,SHAMAN 2 Snake ***
63,SHAMAN 3 Magic ***
64,SHAMAN Face ***
65,Encore ***

Based on that, I would first suspect an issue with matrix A, column 6, but in that case, I would suspect these would show symptoms as well:
66,GI 9 A&B
67,NOST 1 Spoon
68,NOST 2 Morph

The two that stay on share row 6, so I'd take a close look at that as well. Maybe try removing the bulb from lamp 66 (GI 9 A&B), though it might be hard to know which bulb that is.

My normal method of troubleshooting lamp matrix issues is to disconnect the playfield cabling and use my Siegecraft lamp matrix test board. You don't really need that board to do the same test, though. This page describes how to test with a jumper and bulb. Granted, it's describing WPC, but it's still relevant to both Capcom stock and the LED OCD outputs.

https://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/repair-guides/148-lamp-matrix-theory-and-troubleshooting

Also, I may miss posts here, so a PM or email would be more reliable. You mention sending an email that I've not seen, however, so maybe it's best to stick to PM.

#9 6 days ago
Quoted from herg:

The installation looks OK.
The lamps you mention having issues with are below, I think. The descriptions from the manual seem to differ from the playfield a bit.
16,Miraculous Save ***
26,MATRA Wand Power ***
61,SHAMAN 1 Sword ***
62,SHAMAN 2 Snake ***
63,SHAMAN 3 Magic ***
64,SHAMAN Face ***
65,Encore ***
Based on that, I would first suspect an issue with matrix A, column 6, but in that case, I would suspect these would show symptoms as well:
66,GI 9 A&B
67,NOST 1 Spoon
68,NOST 2 Morph
The two that stay on share row 6, so I'd take a close look at that as well. Maybe try removing the bulb from lamp 66 (GI 9 A&B), though it might be hard to know which bulb that is.
My normal method of troubleshooting lamp matrix issues is to disconnect the playfield cabling and use my Siegecraft lamp matrix test board. You don't really need that board to do the same test, though. This page describes how to test with a jumper and bulb. Granted, it's describing WPC, but it's still relevant to both Capcom stock and the LED OCD outputs.
https://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/repair-guides/148-lamp-matrix-theory-and-troubleshooting
Also, I may miss posts here, so a PM or email would be more reliable. You mention sending an email that I've not seen, however, so maybe it's best to stick to PM.

Thanks. I'll PM my results after inspection. I really appreciate your help!

#10 5 days ago

Well, I must say that the world of pinball rehab never ceases to amaze me. The issue turned out to be a mod that I did not notice. One of the previous owners decided to aligator clip an LED strip to the GI circuit near the back of playfield to help light the bumper and stage. Why on earth someone would think it's a great idea to connect anything to a Capcom circuit that needs a friggin' board to stabilize LED use is beyond me. I'm pretty annoyed at how much time this idoicic move took to find. At least the mods were easy to remove. Once I did, the lights all went to normal functionality and the board no longer heats up to extreme temps. I'm shocked that this didn't fuck anything up permanently.

I suppose I'll wire in an adapter to run the LED strips as they did look good

Thanks for all of your help Herg. You offer great service, and it won't be forgotten.

#11 5 days ago

Awesome, I'm glad you found it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Escondido, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D MODS
$ 239.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
Cabinet Parts
PinBoltCaps
$ 9.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 35.00
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 7,199.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 229.99
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 9.95
$ 89.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 9.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 62.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 1,000.00
$ 79.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside