(Topic ID: 225798)

New pinball machines: are they worth the money?

By snowy_owl

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 94 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by jkleinnd
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture3 (resized).JPG
    Capture2 (resized).JPG
    Capture (resized).JPG
    There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

#2 5 years ago

No. Yes. Maybe.

#3 5 years ago

Definite maybe

#4 5 years ago

Not Sterns.

#5 5 years ago

Old machines: are they worth the money?

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from 320Gigabytes:

Old machines: are they worth the money?

Are they?

#7 5 years ago

The days of keeping a NIB game as an investment probably aren't coming back for a good while.

Older classic games are still generally trending up in price, but cetrain titles have taken hits because of remakes or sequels.

#8 5 years ago

Is a new car worth the money?

#9 5 years ago

At $5k-$7k, maybe. At $8k-$12k, no. My 2 cents

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from snowy_owl:

Not to me, which is why I have never bought a new one.

#11 5 years ago

I bought a new IMDN pro for a decent price because I love the band and the design of the game and, for once, the feeling of getting a NIB game delivered to my house. Will I do it again? Probably not. But, I think I should be able to get most of what I paid for it in return a few years down the road when Stern’s done making them. That’s good enough for me.

#12 5 years ago

Are we talking new or used pricing? Lately, the cost to drive it off the lot is pretty substantial

#13 5 years ago

I don't think so. Especially with all the quality issues. It's going to take something special before I get burned again.

#15 5 years ago

As long as I get a mech that makes magic with the ball, I’ll pay 20 thousand dollars for it.

#16 5 years ago

No.

#17 5 years ago

Yes, if you're an operator. Don't forget this is still industrial grade equipment priced and built for commercial use.
    They're overbuilt for a home environment, so... not really worth it.
    Used to be worth it to pick one up used, after being heavily routed. But even those prices are getting weird.

#18 5 years ago

define “worth”.

#19 5 years ago

As long as people keep buying, the market says “yes”.

Or, did you mean, is it worth it for *you* to buy new?

#20 5 years ago

No, but people gotta have what they gotta have.

#21 5 years ago

If it makes you happy then its worth the money, if it dont then its not. Its really that simple. Nobody on this forum can answer your question for you other than yourself.

#22 5 years ago

Luxury item, not an investment portfolio. Heck, a pinball machine can’t even be decent firewood if you break it down to its base components. Lol.

But the feeling of ownership and enjoyment of playing and sharing is priceless. I buy what my heart wants and damn the paycheck. The rest of my existence is about making the money for the family, this one is for just me.

#23 5 years ago

Exactly! Is anything worth the money these days? I’d say no from a purely monetary standpoint.

But if the purchase in question gives you hours of amusement, fun and best of all gets the family together then it’s worth every penny.

#24 5 years ago

No

#25 5 years ago

Not to me.

#26 5 years ago

I've had no regrets with the 2 JJP games I've bought new, and am considering buying Pirates because I want to support what they bring to the hobby, but the cost is steep versus waiting and buying on the secondary market.

Being the first and or only owner of a game is worth what ever you feel it is worth, no real way to quantify it, and is going to widely vary person to person.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Is a new car worth the money?

HELL NO!

#28 5 years ago

There’s something to be said about the anticipation of a NIB pin showing up and an ice cold beer sitting on the table while you do the initial set up. NIB’s are great and you can guarantee it is what it is...new.
    Then there’s the side of buying a “HUO” pin and it shows up and it’s a total beater. Total buzz kill.
    Life is short and it blows by quickly. If you can afford it then knock yourself out.

#29 5 years ago

You see, pinball machines are kind of like cars...

#30 5 years ago

Yes. Bought my first pin in1982, bought first new one in 2017, another in 2018, and saving up for 2019. I am hooked.

#31 5 years ago

Even with out of box depreciation, pins are still holding their value pretty well, and for me there is nothing that provides more enjoyment for the $.

#32 5 years ago

This is real simple if you have the money and want to buy a pin that you like then ofcourse its worth it, if not then its still worth it even if you have to finance or whatever. Everything you buy can have a "Is it worth it" factor from clothes to food to cars etc. another brilliant pinside question that will do little more than start a company vs debate.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from snowy_owl:

The word "worth" is relative to the user. Only you can answer that.

For me, hell yeah it's worth it. I'm married with no kids, retirement is set and we have money to burn. We just started our NIB collection with Dialed In. Superb machine and it just makes us want to buy everything that's out there. I loved the feeling of opening the box and setting it up, and watching it in all its glory as it runs for the first time (I know that it was tested prior to shipping, spare me... ).

However if you asked me this question just 5 years ago, I would have said no. Why pay for a NIB game just to have its resale value drop $1,000 right off the bat?

Then again, if you're going to be owning the machine for several years who cares about resale?

#34 5 years ago

Hard to say really. Even though it is my job and between all coin op devices I have opened 1000's of units, it's hard for even myself to justify some of these purchases. I do think all our current pinball manufacturers do an excellent job, its approaching vehicle prices on some smaller level. They are not held to the same standard so it's harder to make purchases of this magnitude. I think a stern pro is a great value for what we do. Everything else is a borderline investment. If pinballs are manufactured better and have less down time it will be ok for me to continue purchasing them all. If they stay how they are now, it will be difficult to continue to purchase at this pace.

#35 5 years ago

Lol, stern pros might be the only nib games that offer anything close to value.

#36 5 years ago

I have yet to buy a NIB game. I will hopefully someday, but for the high dollar cost EVERYTHING must be in place. Playfield layout, code, art, sound, theme & build quality. In the past because of price you could overlook some of these...but no more.

#37 5 years ago

I'm lucky to live in an area with tons of location pinball so now I'd rather buy stuff I can't play anywhere else .

I can play dead pool at 9 places within an hour drive . Iron Maiden probably about the same if not more. 3 or 4 TNAs . Most in 15 min drive.

Life is good

#38 5 years ago

Absolutely, Yes!

If one buys well, even new, plays for a year, and loses 10% or more, is having a new Pinball worth
    $1.50 a day in ones home?
    Get your coffee from Dunkin over Starbucks, and its covered.
    IMHO

#39 5 years ago

Hell yeah it is worth it. It is a hobby and the joy of picking up/opening up a NIB is euphoric. Plus this hobby holds it value so much better than anything else I have been into. I know that can always change but usually I keep games for a couple years and sell them for what I paid for them or a bit of a loss.
    I bought a new boat last year and when I sell that I expect to lose 25% if not more.
    My dad just bought a new Tesla and I am sure when he sells it, he will lose close to 50%.
    Hobbies should not be treated the same way as investments.
    These things should bring joy and satisfaction and if you get money back at the end that should be a bonus.

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

As long as I get a mech that makes magic with the ball, I’ll pay 20 thousand dollars for it.

20K will be a bargain in 5 years at the rate they are raising prices!

#41 5 years ago

OP Kaneda Owl resurfacing again?

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

Agree, on a hot title you may be able to buy pro, play it for 500-600 plays and move on. I did this w/Maiden. Worth it to me.

HUO will offer even more value on a newer pinball experience in the near future.

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

OP Kaneda Owl resurfacing again?

Good catch

#44 5 years ago

Prices have gotten absolutely ridiculous.

It’s totally insane that we have to fork over close to $9K for a box of blinky lights with some crappy AAA license we never wanted, and then we can play and enjoy it for a year or two, and then... sell it for around $9K.

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

Hard to say really. Even though it is my job and between all coin op devices I have opened 1000's of units, it's hard for even myself to justify some of these purchases. I do think all our current pinball manufacturers do an excellent job, its approaching vehicle prices on some smaller level. They are not held to the same standard so it's harder to make purchases of this magnitude. I think a stern pro is a great value for what we do. Everything else is a borderline investment. If pinballs are manufactured better and have less down time it will be ok for me to continue purchasing them all. If they stay how they are now, it will be difficult to continue to purchase at this pace.

Quoted from jorge5240:

Hell yeah it is worth it. It is a hobby and the joy of picking up/opening up a NIB is euphoric. Plus this hobby holds it value so much better than anything else I have been into. I know that can always change but usually I keep games for a couple years and sell them for what I paid for them or a bit of a loss.
    I bought a new boat last year and when I sell that I expect to lose 25% if not more.
    My dad just bought a new Tesla and I am sure when he sells it, he will lose close to 50%.
    Hobbies should not be treated the same way as investments.
    These things should bring joy and satisfaction and if you get money back at the end that should be a bonus.

Everybody else responded to the topic as if it read - New Pinball Machines: Are They Good Investments? But it doesn’t read that way and you both got it.

Question for anybody - what are you hoping to get out of a new pin purchase? Pleasure of the NIB experience? Pleasure of putting the first thousand games on it? Pleasure of not feeding dollars in it? Pleasure from little maintenance? Pleasure of adding mods to customize it? Pleasure of telling others about it? Pleasure of adjusting game settings? Pleasure of sharing it with others? Pleasure of selling it when you are ready to move on? If that was what you expected, I’ll bet it was worth the money. You’ve pleasured yourself all along the way, and maybe you received a happy ending or two.

On a related topic ... Are pinball machines good investments? someone asked Warren Buffett. The short answer is no... but the real story was Tony Montana got his dick punched in the dirt.

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

Agreed. As an operator, they are head and shoulders above everything else in terms of quality, support, reliability, and themes. JJP makes games for collectors, but their price point, long production times, and unreliable mechs on location make them a dog to operate. Plus they simply don't earn next to a stern or a remake game. Two different markets, not a critique on their gameplay. Just what i've noticed. Stern Pros are the only games that you can really expect to make a return on in the wild at the price point.

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

But the real story was ....Tony Montana got his dick punched in the dirt.

Lol yeah he got bent over real good for sure!

And the best part is, he calls everyone F*cking idiots constantly. Bwaaaaa haaaa haaaa haaaaa

#48 5 years ago

All subjective. I’ve owned 4 cars in my life and I’m 46, to me cars are a mode of transportation, but I see it’s not to most people. Whatever floats your boat is what’s worth it

#49 5 years ago

The obvious answer is yes because they keep raising the NIB price and people keep buying them. For me it depends. I never buy cars new because why take that first depreciation hit. Better to buy one 2-3 years old. Pinball machines......I have bought 4 NIB but the last two have been used old games because the new stuff hasn’t been appealing to me and I don’t see the value. However the price for used pins is high in my opinion as well but I enjoy them so I don’t care. However like cars I don’t buy them so they appreciate in value. I buy them because they are fun. I have had one car appreciate in my entire life. If the value goes up it’s a bonus but the real enjoyment is in the fun.

I will add that I am lucky that I live in an area where there are a lot of machines available for purchase used in a reasonable driving distance. I might buy more NIB if I lived someplace remote and knew I couldn’t find what I was looking for later easily.

#50 5 years ago

I blew 2 Nib pins in Vegas a few weeks ago. Was it fun? Of course!

But I’d rather have the pins now

Pinball is FUN and these days it’s beautiful artwork on top of it.

The biggest problem for me is letting go. I like em all!

There are 94 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinball-machines-are-they-worth-the-money?hl=skyrex and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.