Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 146 posts
  • 77 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Azmodeus
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

13087544_697486113727568_3884703344123945633_n_(resized).jpg
    13076906_697486110394235_3307948927361624090_n_(resized).jpg
    DSCF0417.JPG
    DSCF0416.JPG
    DSCF4889.JPG
    16nixie1.jpg
    cthulhu.jpg
    ermagerd.jpg
    3d render.png
    PROD_PinballMachine_v03c_DK_141011_small.jpg

There are 146 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 9 years ago

Kudos for doing something different.

#102 9 years ago
    Quoted from Betelgeuse:

As others have said, there are so many great stories and such a deep mythology to draw on here. No need for it to be a spinoff.

What's interesting is that the Cthulu Mythos is itself a spin-off:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulhu_Mythos

You can get started right with this 1931 Weird Tales:

ebay.com link: Weird Tales Oct 1931 R E Howard Lovecraft Nice Shape

#103 9 years ago
    Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

So over two years later and a single MAME cab (crowdfunded nonetheless?!) in this same steampunk style still isn't done, but a full custom pinball machine is ready to be unveiled?

We knew we'd take knocks for this, which is fine. We are working on it as fast as possible to have it at shows in our booth. I'll reiterate that this has been fast tracked for being done so we can bring it to the shows. Note, that all kickstarter gifts were given out. We've been up front about that whole process, and still put out updates when we have them.

The next one will be producing the lightgun. We are just about to start growing the parts to make molds, so we can pour in liquid brass and aluminum. For those that were at the art opening at my gallery, the Viki updates were shown to them, including the custom stained glass signage for the machine.

If interested, I can update pinside whenever we have updates on the Viki also.

Barry Berman
    President and CEO, The Rebel Unit, LLC

#104 9 years ago
    Quoted from Slaymetender:

There are probably quite a few pinside regulars that would like to see that kind of news - but I'd suggest posting it in the off-topic forum since it's not pinball directly.

E

#105 9 years ago

beautiful cabinet, love the design

#106 9 years ago

Wish you guys luck on your pin. What a crazy time to be in pinball, WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

#107 9 years ago

Good luck and everything, and kudos for trying something, but really, it's not a new pinball machine is it. It's a cabinet. Nice and all, and again, good on you for being out there. But really, come on, it's not a pinball machine. But great work on the cabinet design. Just change the title to something more realistic like, I dunno, "introducing new pinball cabinet", or something that doesn't actually call it a pinball machine. But awesome design!

#108 9 years ago

Made for the home use owner? It looks great. If this kind of time is put into gameplay and sculpting toys etc.. I look forward to your future product. Kudos for self funding.

Best of luck

#109 9 years ago

This would make an amazing crib.

#110 9 years ago
    Quoted from Slaymetender:

We knew we'd take knocks for this, which is fine. We are working on it as fast as possible to have it at shows in our booth. I'll reiterate that this has been fast tracked for being done so we can bring it to the shows. Note, that all kickstarter gifts were given out. We've been up front about that whole process, and still put out updates when we have them.
    The next one will be producing the lightgun. We are just about to start growing the parts to make molds, so we can pour in liquid brass and aluminum. For those that were at the art opening at my gallery, the Viki updates were shown to them, including the custom stained glass signage for the machine.
    Barry Berman
    President and CEO, The Rebel Unit, LLC

Hey, I've got 100 projects going and no end results either so I can relate

I guess the frustration or issue I have (and some other might have) is that as Aurich alluded to, really you have nothing but a cab render, and now seemingly have other projects (that are frankly much more art related and less on the interactive mechanical side) in the queue that are also not much further than renders after a few years. So where does this pinball machine fit in the mix? If this thing won't see the light of day for 2+ years you're announcing too early - I've got enough potential vaporware pinball to watch this month haha.

#111 9 years ago

Barrys attention to detail is other-worldly, I can not imagine what is planned for the play field, this will be amazing!

Love it Barry, keep the updates coming!

#112 9 years ago

Thanks Pin-Crazed, I'll show more when I'm able

Barry

#113 9 years ago

This pin and captain nemo give me shivers. So retro, yet new, yet... awesome. Ugh I wish I had money to throw at you.

#114 9 years ago
    Quoted from boris_37:

This pin and captain nemo give me shivers. So retro, yet new, yet... awesome. Ugh I wish I had money to throw at you.

Cthulhu doesn't want your money, he wants your soul.

#115 9 years ago
    Quoted from boris_37:

It's not a pin yet. It's just a box ... rendering.

#116 9 years ago

That looks absolutely amazing. Takes considerable art skills just to 3d model that, let alone actually make it.
    Good luck, and dont let these cranky old men discourage you.

#117 9 years ago

I was at the show this past weekend, I plan on going to the next one.

Looking forward to the design updates I'm sure will follow. The attention to detail is something that I believe will really shine on this machine.

On that night, I did share with Slaymetender that I thought the back art and sculpting was beautiful, but in my opinion, somewhat useless. 9/10 people will have to put the pinball in a line, thus hiding the beautiful work. It will likely affect buyers, perhaps an LE version and a Pro without the ornate back. I'm sure you have thought of these options.

One point to mention is I don't like toppers in general, unless they were put on the machine by the manufacturer. They just turn me off. It better be amazing if you are putting it up on there, this one could be one of the very few I like.

I never would have thought of the flipper points based on the pictures I saw but that is why feedback here (and other places) is important for developers.

I am looking forward to seeing more of Wrath of Cthulhu, being a huge Lovecraft fan.

Throwing a couple pictures up of the night, I'm a novice at photography...

DSCF0416.JPGDSCF0416.JPG

DSCF0417.JPGDSCF0417.JPG

#118 9 years ago
    Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I was debating making a Lovecraft game as my first custom instead of Ghostbusters. It's too soon to get excited, but I will be watching out for this one. Please stick to the source material! As others have said, there are so many great stories and such a deep mythology to draw on here. No need for it to be a spinoff.

Do not underestimate the power of a Lovecraft fan to shun anything that distances itself too far from the source material. The HP Lovecraft Historical Society produced two great movies that followed the plot points very well. Del Toro was on the verge of making "Madness", but had to cease the project.

#119 9 years ago

I just ordered 2 H.P. Lovecraft anthologies on Amazon for some late October reading. I'm looking forward to it!

#120 9 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I just ordered 2 H.P. Lovecraft anthologies on Amazon for some late October reading. I'm looking forward to it!

October and Lovecraft seem to go together nicely, don't they?

#121 9 years ago

Is it me or are those pics in a tiny garage? What is this?

#122 9 years ago

I thought steampunk was done. I guess not...

#123 9 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Is it me or are those pics in a tiny garage? What is this?

The gallery has a roll up glass door. It's much like a garage door, but glass, and in the front.

#124 9 years ago

I appreciate the effort and the cab looks cool, but IMO until we see something of the Playfield it's not going to be of interest.

#125 9 years ago

Dang that looks very cool..you should have licensed it to NEMO. I haven't read any Lovecraft...is this going to be a nautical theme or what? Any other details you can share without showing the pf?

#126 9 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

DSCF0416.JPG 163 KB

DSCF0417.JPG 127 KB

wow is that the time machine mame cab?
    Looks like its on the fast track alright...........

#127 9 years ago

Barry, this rendering is outstanding! While there are understandably issues with the backbox sculpture interfering with the feng shui of pinball space, it's so damn beautiful regardless. I can't wait to see what kind of playfield magic you create.

As for the Wrath name confusion, maybe change it to Fury of Cthulhu? Or simply FuCt

#128 9 years ago
    Quoted from JoelOmatik:

Barry, this rendering is outstanding! While there are understandably issues with the backbox sculpture interfering with the feng shui of pinball space, it's so damn beautiful regardless. I can't wait to see what kind of playfield magic you create.
    As for the Wrath name confusion, maybe change it to Fury of Cthulhu? Or simply FuCt

As a Grand wizard of Feng Shui (I dunno...) I have to agree with that.

1 year later
    #129 8 years ago

They are still actively working on it, updated for September 2015: http://www.therebelunit.com/e-gallery.html

6 months later
    #130 7 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

This looks like a ridiculous pipe dream. Anyone can make a 3D render. Don't show anything until you have a game. And that means a built cabinet, with a populated playfield, and art. At minimum.
    I'm sure it's exciting to render things and dream and want to share those dreams with people, but they're just going to set you back in the long run. Keep it to yourself until you make it long past that stage if you truly want to see success.

Pretty sure that you can be successful if you roll out an idea like this before you have a cab, playfield, and art. Not only is this post super negative and full of de-motivational intent; it is also inaccurate and nothing but a pessimistic extrapolation.

Oh, BTW, I love HP Lovecraft and I also love pinball! HP Lovecraft pinball is an amazing idea! This looks like an awesome idea and I hope it happens! The cabinet is sweet! Re-animator multiball!

#131 7 years ago
    Quoted from dantebean:

Just go with the B-movie/Planet of the Apes/Star Wars route.
    Revenge of the Cthulhu
    Attack of the Cthulhu
    Return of the Cthulhu
    Rise of the Cthulhu
    Escape of the Cthulhu
    Conquest of the Cthulhu
    Battle for the Cthulhu
    Beneath of the Cthulhu
    Dawn of the Cthulhu
    Flight of the Cthulhu

Cthulhu Mythos

#132 7 years ago

I really like the Victorian aesthetic but wonder how well it tests practically and where/how compromises will be made. The buttons and back of the machine seem most likely to need some change. Sharp points around fingers and your waist will be problematic for anyone playing the game. I don't mind the detail on the sides or top, as anyone serious about this game isn't likely to want it buried in a row of other machines.

Surely something to follow.

#133 7 years ago

This looks cool as hell. Obviously I think the name is a complete rip-off, but keep up the awesome design work. It's really neat to see someone take the cabinet to the next level. With so many of us having pinball machines in our collections that are as much a piece of furniture and a work of art, it's truly wonderful to see something that's turned on or off that has that WOW factor. Hopefully the playfield design, artwork, rules, dots, sounds, and build quality are all on the same level as these initial renderings.

As for waiting for a reveal - - I guess that's all up to the company's marketing plans - seems like every company other than STERN has been leaking bits out for years as they develop their games, yet STERN is really the only powerhouse. Some may say releasing tid bits and dragging it out kills momentum, others may say it helps feed the interest. We all vote with our pocketbooks - maybe one day we'll be voting on this game...

#134 7 years ago

these were posted in April: https://www.facebook.com/TheRebelUnit/posts/697486500394196

13076906_697486110394235_3307948927361624090_n_(resized).jpg13076906_697486110394235_3307948927361624090_n_(resized).jpg 13087544_697486113727568_3884703344123945633_n_(resized).jpg13087544_697486113727568_3884703344123945633_n_(resized).jpg

Barry was at Pin a Go Go and showed off some more production pictures to people who asked.

#135 7 years ago

I stand by my 17 thumbs down from a year ago, and would take 17 more.

#136 7 years ago

Love HP Lovecraft, I remember playing the role-playing game...sanity points were like health.

#137 7 years ago

from what i've understood is that this is a passion project which is why you're seeing the level of work being put into normally mundane aspects of the table. it's not meant to be a assembly line, mass produced table.

#138 7 years ago

What is this light gun?

9 months later
    #139 7 years ago

When is this thing launching?

#140 7 years ago

not for a long while, but there is some progress https://www.facebook.com/TheRebelUnit/videos/859683820841129/

#141 7 years ago

cool!!! I hope they keep going on this!!!

#142 7 years ago

If only there was a way to record a video horizontal so it fit the screen properly.

#143 7 years ago

So 2 years now and there's a cab and LCD? Looks sweet, but it's the game itself that seems it would take the most time to make? Any info on that ? Could be a long way off to reveal?

#144 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

So 2 years now and there's a cab and LCD? Looks sweet, but it's the game itself that seems it would take the most time to make? Any info on that ? Could be a long way off to reveal?

Drop a Spooky pf and code in BAM

2 years later
    #145 4 years ago

Has there been any update on this pin?

#146 4 years ago

I thought it looked great.

There are 146 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-pinball-machine-wrath-of-cthulhu/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.